Sleeping inconsistencies

Forum organization and occasional community-building.
Forum rules
Questions about Ren'Py should go in the Ren'Py Questions and Announcements forum.
Llair

Re: Sleeping inconsistencies

#16 Post by Llair »

I used to be liek that in high school. Luckily my teachers usually never got too angry at me for taking a little nap. I usually kept a pack of gum or some candy in my pockets. A little sugar helps, and chewing gum helped with keeping me focused.

9:19
Veteran
Projects: Green Eyed Monster [complete]

#17 Post by 9:19 »

...I feel like an endangered species.

My general pattern is to sleep at 9:30 and wake around 7:00. You guys are something else.

Rewritten Ennui
Veteran
Organization: TwinTurtle Games

#18 Post by Rewritten Ennui »

9:19 wrote:...I feel like an endangered species.

My general pattern is to sleep at 9:30 and wake around 7:00. You guys are something else.
9:19, you and I are early birds of the same feather- *shot by a hunting rifle for making a terrible pun*

My regular schedule is to sleep by 10:00 PM (used to be 9:30 too, but my peers yelled at me for getting too much sleep :/) and wake up by at least 6:30 AM. Didn't finish homework yet? Screw that, I need what little sleep I can get! I've had a case of what I believe is insomnia since the start of my high school days, and it's been slowly eating away at me each time I randomly wake up at 3 or 4 in the morn. My body refuses to let me sleep till noon, so I'm appalled by people who can hibernate that long.
I've swapped accounts to CheeryMoya, so this account is no longer in use. Refer to the new account if you want to contact me.

Twinturtle Games Website

9:19
Veteran
Projects: Green Eyed Monster [complete]

#19 Post by 9:19 »

@Rewritten Ennui: I must appall you, I can hibernate that long. Insomnia sounds tough. I can't relate on a personal level because I'm a huge derp who sleeps through apartment buildings going on fire (mine), but you have my condolences.

LateWhiteRabbit
Eileen-Class Veteran
Projects: The Space Between

#20 Post by LateWhiteRabbit »

Haha.

My sleep pattern would really bother people. I can go long stretches of time free-lancing, or working from home, so I don't have to keep a set schedule. Since I'm a night owl, I often end up working at night and then going to bed as the sun is rising, then getting up as the sun is setting, then working through the night again. It feels a little weird at times, because especially during winter when the days are short I can go a week or more without seeing sunlight. Just a world of perpetual night outside my windows. It makes me feel like a vampire. Haha.

I've gotten on even weirder sleep schedules before (the first is fairly normal, just reversed from the norm). Sometimes I'll get on a "rolling sleep schedule" where the time I go to bed advances one hour a day. So one day I'll go to bed at 10PM, sleep 8 hours and wake at 6. Then I go to bed at 11PM, wake at 7. Then 12AM, wake at 8, etc. I know my schedule is completely screwed up when my bedtime is 12 noon and I'm getting up at 8PM.

Sapphi
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: Boku no Taisetsu na Yumeko
Projects: Twelve, PAW ★ PRINTS
Organization: Kitsch-soft

#21 Post by Sapphi »

Don't you get depressed? If I don't see the sun for even a few days, I feel really, really bad.
"It is [the writer's] privilege to help man endure by lifting his heart,
by reminding him of the courage and honor and hope and pride
and compassion and pity and sacrifice which have been the glory of his past."
— William Faulkner
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬..+X+..▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬

redcat
Regular

#22 Post by redcat »

LateWhiteRabbit wrote:I've gotten on even weirder sleep schedules before (the first is fairly normal, just reversed from the norm). Sometimes I'll get on a "rolling sleep schedule" where the time I go to bed advances one hour a day. So one day I'll go to bed at 10PM, sleep 8 hours and wake at 6. Then I go to bed at 11PM, wake at 7. Then 12AM, wake at 8, etc. I know my schedule is completely screwed up when my bedtime is 12 noon and I'm getting up at 8PM.
This. I have this too, but mine is rolling on both side. Somehow my biological clock is ticking irregularly; sometimes faster sometimes slower. There are "long days" when I stay awake about 20 hours or more. It's like insomnia, my body just refused to sleep. There are also "short days" when I got sleepy again just 7 to 8 hours after the last sleep - regardless of what I do during the day. In days like this, I often become a half asleep zombie... >_<
Meowwngg...??

Riviera
Miko-Class Veteran

#23 Post by Riviera »

I'm a nightowl, but my husband (still feels funny saying that, lol!) has to get up at 6 am every day, so whether I like it or not, so do I! I could be sane and go to bed earlier, but I just don't feel tired until about 1 am or so.. so I end up instead trying to compromise and go to bed about 11:30 or 12:30ish. Then I end up waking up like five times during the night.

I'm an aspiring baker, so I gotta start getting to sleep earlier... baker's hours start really early. @_@

EDIT: I've had days where I've went to bed at 2 or 3 am and gotten up at 6! I'm a bit out of it, but I do it! My body just doesn't seem to register fatigue until I'm drop dead tired for some reason.
Last edited by Riviera on Tue Dec 13, 2011 12:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
Will edit/proofread for cookies.

I do free voicework! Click here for samples

soldoutactivist

[deleted]

#24 Post by soldoutactivist »

[deleted]
Last edited by soldoutactivist on Sun Jun 14, 2020 7:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

LateWhiteRabbit
Eileen-Class Veteran
Projects: The Space Between

#25 Post by LateWhiteRabbit »

Sapphi wrote:Don't you get depressed? If I don't see the sun for even a few days, I feel really, really bad.
Naw. I like storms, rainy days, being by myself, and the dark. I'm not "dark" or "emo" or anything, I just find all those things very peaceful and pleasant, where as the sun hurts my eyes and annoys me. I've been like that all my life. I used to volunteer for "fire watch" or guard duty in the Marines so I could stay awake at night and have time alone without the constant noise of people around me like during the day. Besides, I love the "timeless" feeling that occurs when you have no proof that time is passing for days at a time. It is like being in limbo. I just have to take the little numbers on my computer at their word . . . .
soldoutactivist wrote: Re-reading the comments before I post, sounds like @LateWhiteRabbit might have the same disorder. It's rare, though. I suggest having a sleep study done. I've had many in my lifetime.
Hmm. I do appear to have a few of the symptoms, but my sleep schedule has never given me any problems. As I said, my professional and personal life don't require many set times or hours, so it doesn't matter if I drift around on sleep time. But my biological clock has proven to be very accurate before. If I set a sleep schedule and rigidly maintain it for two or three weeks, I don't need an alarm clock anymore, and can wake up within 10 minutes of the same time every morning. My body actually starts anticipating the alarm clock, and I'll wake up and look at the clock to find I have 5 minutes or so before it goes off.

Sapphi
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: Boku no Taisetsu na Yumeko
Projects: Twelve, PAW ★ PRINTS
Organization: Kitsch-soft

#26 Post by Sapphi »

LateWhiteRabbit wrote:Besides, I love the "timeless" feeling that occurs when you have no proof that time is passing for days at a time. It is like being in limbo. I just have to take the little numbers on my computer at their word . . . .
I think I have tasted that a little bit, usually in summer when I had no job or school and could sleep whenever I wanted. It is a nice feeling if it's the same as what you mean. But I do love night for that same peaceful reason. It's just that I think I might have that chemical imbalance (low vitamin D?) that cause depression with not enough sunlight. There's a certain point every winter where I become noticeably more apathetic, and a certain point come spring where I feel like my chest is bursting with joy. I really do get euphoric when the warm weather first hits. It's almost like I have a happiness switch in my brain.
LateWhiteRabbit wrote: My body actually starts anticipating the alarm clock, and I'll wake up and look at the clock to find I have 5 minutes or so before it goes off.
Dude, this happens to me and it's so weird! And one night, when I was really worried and stressed about waking up late for work, I swear my body only "skimmed" sleep the entire night and woke up at the right time, before the alarm ^_^
"It is [the writer's] privilege to help man endure by lifting his heart,
by reminding him of the courage and honor and hope and pride
and compassion and pity and sacrifice which have been the glory of his past."
— William Faulkner
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬..+X+..▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬

moxie
Regular

#27 Post by moxie »

I've been sleeping inconsistently for a while since I started college, but especially this last week for finals. Coffee and caffeine oddly don't work for me. I don't get sugar highs, but I do get crashes. So I tend to work for a couple hours, start to feel sleepy, and set my alarm for a quick 30-minute nap. It's enough to get me refreshed for a few more hours of studying. But now I'm doneDoneDONE with finals and can go home for some normal sleep. XD
I don't usually fall asleep nowadays until about 2am, and wake up around 8:30. 6.5 hours sleep isn't bad, but 10 is my perfect number (hooray for weekends).
I also have developed the habit of turning my alarm off in my sleep. Very bad. T___T

Lumen_Astrum
Dystopian Princess
Completed: Soul and Heart, Twin Faces
Projects: Soul and Heart Replay; The Court of the Two Sides (tentative title)
Organization: Lion Box Studios
Tumblr: lumenizampel

#28 Post by Lumen_Astrum »

@soldoutactivist I stand corrected. XD

And I have more problems than ever about this sleeping thing, since my daily toothache I can't trace where it came from makes it a lot more harder to fall asleep... And how odd it is, that I fall asleep in class, but when I try to sleep on the trip home... no matter how much I close my eyes I can't fall asleep XD

Celianna
Veteran

#29 Post by Celianna »

@LateWhiteRabbit: I'm in the exact situation as you. I work free lance at home, and I ended up screwing over my regular schedule (where I can actually still see the sun!), by going to bed at 10 AM, and waking up around 6 PM. It doesn't bother me that I'm awake at night, but I tend to take naps throughout as well, which further messes up my already irregular schedule.

Though I blame this partly on my boyfriend, since he lives in America and I live in Europe, and we get to see each other more if I stay up late. To put it simply; I'm on American time haha.
A GxB game about designing your own clothes.