Sleeping inconsistencies

Forum organization and occasional community-building.
Forum rules
Questions about Ren'Py should go in the Ren'Py Questions and Announcements forum.
Lumen_Astrum
Dystopian Princess
Completed: Soul and Heart, Twin Faces
Projects: Soul and Heart Replay; The Court of the Two Sides (tentative title)
Organization: Lion Box Studios
Tumblr: lumenizampel

Sleeping inconsistencies

#1 Post by Lumen_Astrum »

As a highschool student, it isn't new to me to sleep late. But these past few days, I have been sleeping late. ALWAYS. And I'm rather bothered with it. I end up doing entertaining stuff in the internet that will make me lose track of time, and I find myself sleeping late because of it. And in the morning, I lose bearings of what I do. I once fell asleep in the bathroom when I was showering. I totally forgot what I was doing when I was packing lunch and ended up mistaking the tuna for the rice. I almost even collided with a tree and slipped in the stairs when I was in school, no joke =_=

And the worst thing is that coffee doesn't seem to work that great anymore. It gives me temporary energy, but a few hours later, I yawn loudly and get a stinging headache. I only get to get extra rest on the way to school and back. Which is almost like only thirty minutes. And... yeah, I almost fell asleep on some classes except the first three periods (In first period, I'm pretty much a bit more awake. The second and third period teachers lets us eat while listening, and it gives me a little boost).

My problem is that I can't really get myself out of sleeping late. I ALWAYS have dumps of homework. I jst actually finished a research work I was doing the past hours.

How about you? Does anyone here have problems in their sleeping patterns or something like that? How did you deal with it? :O
Don't tell me that I'm the only one here that has sleeping inconsistencies...

ScottySeng
Regular
Completed: May-Chan
Projects: Fairy Tale, What do you see

Re: Sleeping inconsistencies

#2 Post by ScottySeng »

I think Junior years was my worst year in sleeping. Some days I slept for 3 hours, others for 5-6. Homework was crammed in at night. The problem is trying to get back to a normal sleeping zone.
I think in Senior year, it wasn't as bad for me since the workload wasn't that bad. I still only got 7-6 hours of sleep, and even 5 on bad days.
Your memory and health go down with little sleep.
You have to slowly work towards a normal sleeping pattern. I think I changed like 15 min+ sleep per 2-3 days...If you're used to getting 5 hours of sleep and suddenly try to get 8 hours, you'll end up staring at your ceiling for 2 hours before sleeping, at least that's what happened to me.

I think try to break up your HW in little pieces. Do a bit, then go online, and do a bit more HW. The hard part is getting back to doing HW. I used Outlook (E-mail program) and it bugs me to do my work.

But if you really want to sleep really quick without using sleeping pills (Which don't actually work), eat something with a lot of starch like a baked potato. Don't eat fries, since salt raises your heart rate.

Even now, I'm somehow back to 7 hours, but like you, the PC is keeping me away from getting 8 hours of sleep.

Good luck on getting more sleep :)

Junker-Kun
Regular
Completed: Manga Club
Organization: Mr's Hedgehogs team

#3 Post by Junker-Kun »

I was sleeping late since 7th or 8th grade. It isn't good for health actually but I just can't help it - now I just can't sleep till 3 or 4 am (if I'm not too exsausted of course). For now it's not a problem for me as classes in my university starts somewhere at 1 pm (it depends on which day it is. Sometime I have to go there at 9 am). All I can suggest is to exsaust yourself one day so you go to the bed early. And then just try to get sleep at the same time, say 11 pm. That way you'll be able to wake up early and not falling asleep while doing something. Though it never helped me =P, I guess I just have to use sleeping pills =D (no, I will not use them).
"Don’t be sad. Even if the world won’t forgive you, I’ll forgive you.
Don’t be sad. Even if you won’t forgive the world, I’ll forgive you.
So please tell me. How do I make you forgive me?"

Frederica Bernkastel

JustAnotherMe
Veteran
Projects: Kuro no Chou; 0.3 Second Lunch

#4 Post by JustAnotherMe »

Me the same! When I'm exhausted, I can go to sleep at 10!! (I didn't believe it when my mom told me I slept at 10) Now I'm loaded with work for my first year at university. I never knew being a college student will take more energy than being a high school stud. What's with me trying to catch my prof when in high school I'm the one being chased by my teacher... @_@ and I must keep an eye on the schedule and plan it carefully because I'm working too to save up money for my future car. But even though I'm loaded, I never lose a day to do my hobbies XD and that's why I always sleep late TAT... and then end up late for morning classes... my prof is fed up with me... (I know I must do something about this habit of mine. I know. Believe me, I know.)
You are bigger than what you think but smaller than you can imagine.
0.3 second lunch

teacup
Holder of Tasty Drinks
Completed: (P)lanets - the life of normalcy has ended
Projects: Circum[N]avigate

#5 Post by teacup »

I always have been a night owl [prefer to stay up really late] but now that I'm in college, I basically have no choice. Trying to balance friends and hobbies and homework keeps me up until around three in the morning every night, while having to wake up by 8 o'clock [at the latest] for classes in the morning. I'm perpetually tired and get sick often because of it. It's so bad now that even coffee can't save me. I used to have trouble falling asleep but now, anytime I go horizontal I fall asleep easily XD I get about four-five hours of sleep each night, so 35 hours of sleep a week... when the recommended amount is 9 hours per night or 63 hours per week! I'm losing over 24 hours of sleep each week!
And worst of all.. there are times when not sleeping at all is easier than trying to wake up in the morning. so rather than going to bed at 3 and trying to drag myself out of bed at 8, I just stay awake until 8... then.... repeat the cycle... I've basically become a walking zombie @A@;

MomoiroGirl
Veteran
Deviantart: MomoiroGirl
Location: Somewheeere over the rainbow~ ... Well, Denmark at least

#6 Post by MomoiroGirl »

teacup wrote:I always have been a night owl [prefer to stay up really late] but now that I'm in college, I basically have no choice. Trying to balance friends and hobbies and homework keeps me up until around three in the morning every night, while having to wake up by 8 o'clock [at the latest] for classes in the morning. I'm perpetually tired and get sick often because of it. It's so bad now that even coffee can't save me. I used to have trouble falling asleep but now, anytime I go horizontal I fall asleep easily XD I get about four-five hours of sleep each night, so 35 hours of sleep a week... when the recommended amount is 9 hours per night or 63 hours per week! I'm losing over 24 hours of sleep each week!
And worst of all.. there are times when not sleeping at all is easier than trying to wake up in the morning. so rather than going to bed at 3 and trying to drag myself out of bed at 8, I just stay awake until 8... then.... repeat the cycle... I've basically become a walking zombie @A@;

Somehow, I don't think I could have described it better, this is exactly how I am lol XD

Zatch
Regular
Projects: Omega(Current), Dragon Souls, Cheer on!

#7 Post by Zatch »

I'm a night owl too. I love staying up at night bonus that everyone is a sleep and I get more stuff done. :D I feel your pain, I do forget what I'm doing and have less sleep. Last friday I didn't get any sleep i just couldn't. (Dam it body work with me!)

The best way I can think of is slowing getting yourself back to sleeping 8 hours. You don't want to stare at the cieling for hours on end. :lol: I do find it weird that I can fall asleep fast on bus than my bed. :? No good to have less sleep because you become the Grinch. :twisted:

Evil computer, video games and etc! Why do you make things so interesting that cause me to not to sleep. :x

MiSi
Veteran
Completed: Santa
Projects: On Grey Wings, The Master's Call, Shadowborn ...while having many more in mind ;)

#8 Post by MiSi »

Another night owl here!
I just love the night... I can't help but staying awake til it's 1 or 2 o'clock in the morning, getting some work done or just playing games (or even go for a walk in the middle of the night :D ). Aaand then the mornings, when I rather would love to stay in bed until noon ._. But since I have to go to work... I simply have to deal with being tired. Poor me. :D

Fawn
Moe Imouto

#9 Post by Fawn »

Most people who frequent the internet are night owls :P The internet is on 24/7 full of people to talk to and things to do, why wouldn't one stay up to enjoy that?

Personally my sleep schedule is absolutely awful... I had to drop most of my classes at college this year due to being bedridden from chronic illness, so I basically I have no schedule. To make it worse, now that winter's coming all I want to do is sleep! Sometimes I wake up at 9, sometimes I don't wake up till 1 PM... not very healthy at all :/

MaiMai
Yandere
Completed: [Phase Shift]
Projects: [ None ]
Organization: Paper Stars
Tumblr: maiscribbles
Deviantart: maiscribble

#10 Post by MaiMai »

To be honest, I'm good at staying up late and waking up fairly early. I hate staying up anywhere past three though it makes me feel extremely sluggish and I don't want to deal with that. I usually go to sleep at least around twelve or one AM and can get up around seven, eight, or nine AM.
Image COMMISSIONS AVAILABLE (check Tumblr sidebar)

azureXtwilight
Megane Procrastinator
Completed: Fantasia series (ROT and ROTA), Doppleganger: Dawn of The Inverted Soul, a2 (a due), Time Labyrinth
Projects: At Regime's End
Organization: Memento-Mori VNs, Team Sleepyhead

#11 Post by azureXtwilight »

I'm a night owl too! :D *youknowthatlumen-chanIsometimesstayslateinYM* Being a university students who usually has classes at 7, that means I have to wake up at least 5.30 because I need to prepare my own breakfast and all. Problem is, I'm only active in the internet at night since that's the time I can touch my laptop, since I get back at 3-5, not to mention my going out with friends made it longer XD

Still, I basically restrict myself to go to bed at 10.30-11 p.m nowadays. Usually I slept at 1 am-2am, but this dark circle is really annoying XD I look like gaara or an emo or something, so I need to compensate it by sleeping more. Sometimes I take some nap after university to compensate it, but I think it's not enough...

LVUER
King of Lolies
Completed: R.S.P

#12 Post by LVUER »

Perhaps I'm lucky... or not lucky, since there's no internet in first 17 years of my life. Well, there is, but it's so slow and expensive that it's better not having one at all. And my parents are pretty strict about schedule and homework, so no TV, no games, no what-so-ever before I finish all my homework or study of the day (old fashioned, I know, but I rather grateful for that). I can only watch TV and play video games at weekends (Saturday and Sunday) or holidays.

Because of this, I could safely say that I almost always have 8 hours per day to sleep (I never take a nap during midday, btw).
"Double the princesses, quadruple the fun!" - Haken Browning (SRW-OG Endless Frontier)

DeviantArt Account
MoeToMecha Blog (under construction)
Lolicondria Blog (under construction) <- NSFW

Sapphi
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: Boku no Taisetsu na Yumeko
Projects: Twelve, PAW ★ PRINTS
Organization: Kitsch-soft

#13 Post by Sapphi »

I am also a night owl, lol.

In high school I stayed up to ungodly hours of the night chatting with people or surfing the web. I got extremely sick one year and had to miss homecoming because of it.

Now that I'm in college, I'm still sleep-deprived often, but it's been easier for me to stick to a schedule in general because I work consistently too. I know you have to stick to a schedule in high school, but high school is not the real world. When you get a job, bad performance can get you fired. Since I make a lot of stupid mistakes when I'm sleep-deprived, I try extra hard to get as much sleep as I can so I don't make mistakes at work.

It's really just a matter of discipline - do your homework before you surf the web. When you are surfing the web, force yourself to quit at a certain time. That's the only way you can really help yourself get more sleep :P
"It is [the writer's] privilege to help man endure by lifting his heart,
by reminding him of the courage and honor and hope and pride
and compassion and pity and sacrifice which have been the glory of his past."
— William Faulkner
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬..+X+..▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬

Snow Blossom
Veteran

#14 Post by Snow Blossom »

I'm... a half-breed, I guess? XD I can go to bed relatively early (10 PM), but that happens only like once a month. And even when I do, I still feel like it's the end of the world in the mornings. D: My general method of alleviating fatigue is gulping down green tea in the mornings and eating sweets or fruit throughout the day for the sugar boosts. Or I take a "little" nap for an intended 10 minutes or so and end up sleeping for an hour. >_> Also, playing sports actually helps me stay awake - although I usually feel like I'm dying during the exercise, I generally feel really refreshed afterwards.

Lumen_Astrum
Dystopian Princess
Completed: Soul and Heart, Twin Faces
Projects: Soul and Heart Replay; The Court of the Two Sides (tentative title)
Organization: Lion Box Studios
Tumblr: lumenizampel

#15 Post by Lumen_Astrum »

I see :O Many people here are night owls too. tehee.
But nothing as worse as mine, I should say. XD