Stop SOPA - USA members, please read

Forum organization and occasional community-building.
Forum rules
Questions about Ren'Py should go in the Ren'Py Questions and Announcements forum.
PrivateEyes
Regular
Completed: House 666
Projects: Shattered Eternity

Re: Stop SOPA - USA members, please read

#91 Post by PrivateEyes »

Hey guys if you want to help stop SOPA and PIPA, please take a look and spread this video around.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WJIuYgIvKsc
Why live if in the end, we all die? I guess to suffer? I really have no clue.....

Please visit my Youtube channel! :D http://www.youtube.com/user/YugiohGX913?feature=mhum

redeyesblackpanda
Eileen-Class Veteran
Projects: Eternal Memories, plot bunnies that won't die.
Organization: HellPanda Studios

#92 Post by redeyesblackpanda »

This is awesome! Wikipedia is shutting down tomorrow in protest! SOPA just seems like trying to stop shoplifting by razing a town....
(All projects currently on a hiatus of sorts. I blame life.)
Tsundere VN
Not really checking the forums any more due to time constraints, so if you want to contact me, PM. I'll get a notification and log in. :mrgreen:
Also, I've been hit and run posting, which means I don't see many replies. If you want to respond to something I've said, also feel free to PM me.

NOTE: if you've got questions about vnovel or things like that, it's Leon that you should be contacting. Leon's been pretty much handling everything, but due to various reasons, I've had to withdraw entirely.

PyTom
Ren'Py Creator
Completed: Moonlight Walks
Projects: Ren'Py
IRC Nick: renpytom
Github: renpytom
itch: renpytom

#93 Post by PyTom »

Today, sites like Google and Wikipedia are putting up anti-SOPA/PIPA messages. The LSF is joining them by bringing back this global thread.

These laws threaten the functioning of the Internet. They will require forum administrators to remove links at the request of purported copyright holders - without the need for a judge's approval. This censorship power has been and will be abused, and so it's best that we ensure that power is never given to those who would censor us. If you're a US Citizen or Resident, please consider visiting:

http://blacklist.eff.org

for information about how to stop this bill. If you're outside the US, consider calling your local US consulate or embassy to let them know how you feel.

Most importantly, speak to your friends and relatives about how important this is. Many people don't know about PIPA and SOPA, as much of the media has been ignoring it - out of mistaken self-interest. Let the world know that the freedom to create worldwide communities - such as LSF - is important enough that it shouldn't be given up in favor of special interests.
Supporting creators since 2004
(When was the last time you backed up your game?)
"Do good work." - Virgil Ivan "Gus" Grissom
Software > Drama • https://www.patreon.com/renpytom

Nightydreams
Regular
Projects: The Saddest Music In The World

#94 Post by Nightydreams »

This is disgusting.

This is beyond dissapointing.

This is an attack on every human being in existance regardless of any situation or circumstance.

This ends now.
I believe that a man should not go back on his decisions,
But here I am deciding to break that one rule of manliness.
Because I would rather be thought less of as a man,
Then be lost as a person.

-Alexander. Infinity Ocean
Attachment and Love, is Attachment and Love, regardless of time, space or circumstance.
- Terro, The Saddest Music In The World

Auro-Cyanide
ssǝʇunoƆ ʇɹ∀
Completed: http://auro-cyanide.tumblr.com/visualnovels
Projects: Athena
Organization: Cyanide Tea
Tumblr: auro-cyanide
Deviantart: Auro-Cyanide

#95 Post by Auro-Cyanide »

There has been a call for people to not attend and not cover E3 until ESA stops backing SOPA and PIPA. http://penny-arcade.com/patv/episode/st ... a-and-pipa

Strum
Veteran

#96 Post by Strum »

Carpe Fulgur has also shut down for 24 hours http://www.carpefulgur.com/ in protest to SOPA

jack_norton
Lemma-Class Veteran
Completed: Too many! See my homepage
Projects: A lot! See www.winterwolves.com
Tumblr: winterwolvesgames

#97 Post by jack_norton »

My small contribute against SOPA. Posted it on twitter/facebook, feel free to share it if you like:
follow me on Image Image Image
computer games

Voight-Kampff
Veteran

#98 Post by Voight-Kampff »

PyTom wrote:Today, sites like Google and Wikipedia are putting up anti-SOPA/PIPA messages. The LSF is joining them by bringing back this global thread.
Oh, I don't know about that whole blackout thing, PyTom.

Former U.S Senator Chris Dodd, and current CEO of the MPAA thinks that's a bad idea. And if there's one thing a former U.S Senator and current head of the Motion Picture Association of America knows, it's a bad idea when he sees one.

Not that I'm implying any sort of profound and egregious conflict of interest that might arise from being a U.S Senator one day, and the head of a powerful media cabal the next.

PyTom
Ren'Py Creator
Completed: Moonlight Walks
Projects: Ren'Py
IRC Nick: renpytom
Github: renpytom
itch: renpytom

#99 Post by PyTom »

You forgot the bit where he accepted "VIP" loans from a subprime lender he was supposed to be regulating. Or the bit where he was the number one recipient of Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac money during their collapse. Or the bit where he managed to buy a $658k Irish cottage for $250k - and all it took was arranging a pardon.

On days like this, one wonders - if only for a few seconds - if the fictional Torajiro Sato had the right idea.
Supporting creators since 2004
(When was the last time you backed up your game?)
"Do good work." - Virgil Ivan "Gus" Grissom
Software > Drama • https://www.patreon.com/renpytom

Kokoro Hane
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: 30 Kilowatt Hours Left, The Only One Girl { First Quarter }, An Encounter ~In The Rain~, A Piece of Sweetness, Since When Did I Have a Combat Butler?!, Piece by Piece, +many more
Projects: Fateful Encounter, Operation: Magic Hero
Organization: Tofu Sheets Visual
Deviantart: kokoro-hane
itch: tofu-sheets-visual

#100 Post by Kokoro Hane »

I'm really curious what'll happen now. If this bill passes, I think we're all done for O.O
PROJECTS:
Operation: Magic Hero [WiP]
Piece By Piece [COMPLETE][Spooktober VN '20]
RE/COUNT RE:VERSE [COMPLETE][RPG]
Since When Did I Have a Combat Butler?! [COMPLETE][NaNoRenO2020+]
Crystal Captor: Memory Chronicle Finale [COMPLETE][RPG][#1 in So Bad It's Good jam '17]

But dear God, You're the only North Star I would follow this far
Owl City "Galaxies"

Blane Doyle
Miko-Class Veteran
Organization: Autumn Eclectic

#101 Post by Blane Doyle »

Well, SOPA has been shelved, mostly due to outcry from protests and OBAMA AND THE WHITEHOUSE saying it is unconstitutional and that they will not support it. (seriously, do a quick search and there are tons of articles for it) The creator himself wants to remove the bill from play and edit it now.

PIPA, it's close cousin, is also backing down rapidly, almost half of the group that created it has backed down.

In addition, nay companies have also backed out of support of both bills.

We're safe for the moment, even IF congress passes them it is guaranteed now that they will be vetoed.

Asterisk
Regular

#102 Post by Asterisk »

I'll do what I can over here to raise awareness, even though this effects the US, it'll also effect people all over.
Horrible stuff :/
Victory is sweetest when you've known defeat.

LateWhiteRabbit
Eileen-Class Veteran
Projects: The Space Between

#103 Post by LateWhiteRabbit »

Bane Reiko wrote:Well, SOPA has been shelved, mostly due to outcry from protests and OBAMA AND THE WHITEHOUSE saying it is unconstitutional and that they will not support it. (seriously, do a quick search and there are tons of articles for it) The creator himself wants to remove the bill from play and edit it now.

PIPA, it's close cousin, is also backing down rapidly, almost half of the group that created it has backed down.

In addition, nay companies have also backed out of support of both bills.

We're safe for the moment, even IF congress passes them it is guaranteed now that they will be vetoed.
We aren't safe yet. Now is the most important time to be vigilant and continue to speak out. The U.S. congress loves to wait for controversy to die down on unpopular pieces of legislation and then sneak them through later as amendments to other bills. We have to keep up the attack and awareness until no version of the bill exists, either in rewrites or as an amendment.

And I think we should all join Penny Arcade in spreading the word to get game developers and game media to boycott and refuse to cover E3 to signal our displeasure with the ESA's support of SOPA. If the ESA will not withdraw its support for the legislation, we need to withdraw our support from the ESA. They claim to stand for all of us, and they are wrong. This is something we can all do in the gaming community to take a stand against this bill, whether you are American or not. You might not be able to write to a congressman or senator, but you can email websites like Kotaku to tell them you want to see them boycott E3 and not cover it unless the ESA changes its position on SOPA. Email your favorite developers or other gaming websites. You may not be able to make a difference by yourself, but you can encourage big name companies to take a stand in your place.

Zogunplex
Regular
Projects: Dark Caravan

#104 Post by Zogunplex »

Heavens, what a scare. I'm so glad that the voices of the people got through to some of their voted leaders in this brief moment. It really touched me to see the members of other nations taking a stand for our freedoms as well.
Shameless Plug for My Game Forum: http://zgforums.proboards.com/index.cgi

Blue Lemma
Forum Founder
Completed: ToL, Shoujo Attack!, Lemma Ten
Projects: [RETIRED FROM FORUM ADMINISTRATION - CONTACT PYTOM WITH ISSUES]

#105 Post by Blue Lemma »

@jack_norton: That's pretty funny :)

Hopefully this bill and its lil' bro will die out, but even if it does, there will always be the next attempt... and it will probably be more insidious. I can fully empathize with the plight of some of the content creation companies (having your work that you spent money and time creating pirated is NOT cool) but this isn't the answer.

Both Oregon senators are against it, and one of them (Ron Wyden) has been an outspoken critic of it from the start. *proud* :mrgreen:
“Among those who dislike oppression are many who like to oppress.”
- Napoleon Bonaparte

I've retired from forum administration. I do not add people to the "adult" group, deactivate accounts, nor any other administrative task. Please direct admin/mod issues to PyTom or the other mods : )