Paypal sucks.

Forum organization and occasional community-building.
Forum rules
Questions about Ren'Py should go in the Ren'Py Questions and Announcements forum.
Mari-chan
Tokimemo Goddess

Paypal sucks.

#1 Post by Mari-chan »

Bwhee. Now I'm having a minor financial crisis because paypal sucks.

See, they decided to charge my new PS2 on my BANK ACCOUNT which I KNOW didn't have enough money to cover the charge. It was SUPPOSED to be on my credit card.

So now I have to make a lot of bitchy phone calls and try to get this thing fixed.

So GRR.

Blue Lemma
Forum Founder
Completed: ToL, Shoujo Attack!, Lemma Ten
Projects: [RETIRED FROM FORUM ADMINISTRATION - CONTACT PYTOM WITH ISSUES]

#2 Post by Blue Lemma »

I've heard a lot of bad things about them, as well. There are even entire websites devoted to stories of bad things PayPal (allegedly) did. I was going to sign up with them at one point, but after researching it, I decided not to. Apparently, lots of people have written that they've had problems with PayPal freezing accounts and taking the money for no apparent reason. They also claim that the service is awful and the customer service reps (in India) often swear at them. :shock: According to one site, PayPal is also being investigated by three states. The biggest issue I saw mentioned on the sites is that the terms of service state (basically) that you waive all rights to everything and PayPal can do what it wants.

http://www.paypalwarning.com
http://www.paypalsucks.com

I was considering getting an account as a way of accepting donations for lemmasoft.net, too... :cry:

NOTE: I do not endorse the above sites or vouch for their validity, etc. So don't sue me :roll:

Gothik Mage
Regular

#3 Post by Gothik Mage »

Damn, that's really gotta bite. I've heard all sorts of horror stories. I was also watching "The Screensavers" and "Call for help" on tech TV. And they suggested going with anything but paypal unless it's for E-bay. Unfortunately I can't remember any of their alternatives. Good luck, I hope you can get everything cleared up easily... relatively speaking. Ganbatte!
"Reno, did it ever occur to you that you might be an alcoholic?"
"Nope, I'm a drunk."
"There's a difference."
"Drunks don't go to meetings."

Sai
Winged Hybrid

#4 Post by Sai »

Yeah... I've always been wary of PayPal myself cos of sites like the ones Lemma mentions.

There must be some other places that offers the same service. PayPal is most likely just the most "known" one

Trinity Riot
Regular
Location: Somewhere between New York City... and New York City.

#5 Post by Trinity Riot »

Sure there are. They're called checks and money orders! :roll:

Blackstream
Regular

#6 Post by Blackstream »

Trinity Riot wrote:Sure there are. They're called checks and money orders! :roll:
Checks and money orders! OMGWTFLOL!!!1 You mean.... real life money!!?? Crazy talk! That's crazy talk! LIke.... real ink? And real paper? And real envelopes and real stamps? And real waiting? WHooooaaa nelly! We just don't do things like that around here anymore!!!!

What a good idea.
Woot

Ecchi Tiff
Regular

#7 Post by Ecchi Tiff »

I just use PayPal for ordering things online - I prefer to spread my CC number to as few places as possible, and using PayPal keeps it in one place. I suppose I could use other sites as well, but PayPal seems to be universally accepted.

Using electronic money is safer than real money (in terms of ordering things), since there's a verified paper(less) trail. Using cash and/or personal checks is a tad shadier in terms of being to get your money back if it's "lost."
Kyra: "You can kiss my acetabulum!"
Lord Pathos: "Hmm, tempting offer, coming from a cute girl like you."
Kyra: "Ug, I think I'm gonna be sick. Tom, let's get this quy, quick!"