Sounds that scaer you that you thought couldn't scare you.

Forum organization and occasional community-building.
Forum rules
Questions about Ren'Py should go in the Ren'Py Questions and Announcements forum.
NewMember
Regular

Sounds that scaer you that you thought couldn't scare you.

#1 Post by NewMember »

After playing Higurasi I realized that the sounds of Cicadia can be pretty scary so I was wondering if there are any sounds that you thought could never be scary that suddenly become scary. And why

lordcloudx
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: http://rd2k2-games.blogspot.com

Re: Sounds that scaer you that you thought couldn't scare yo

#2 Post by lordcloudx »

The sound of total deafening silence can be quite haunting if you find yourself in an isolated house with no electrical current and miles away from the next house. This is probably enhanced by the fact that stories spirits and malignant lower beings that can harm you if you so much as breathe the same air as them was rampant in that particular locality.
How do you make your games? I see. Thank you for the prompt replies, but it is my considered opinion that you're doing it wrong inefficiently because I am a perfushenal professional. Do it my way this way and we can all ascend VN Nirvana together while allowing me to stroke my ego you will improve much faster. Also, please don't forget to thank me for this constructive critique or I will cry and bore you to death respond appropriately with a tl;dr rant discourse of epic adequately lengthy proportions. - Sarcasm Veiled in Euphemism: Secrets of Forum Civility by lordcloudx (Coming soon to an online ebook near you.)

Sapphi
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: Boku no Taisetsu na Yumeko
Projects: Twelve, PAW ★ PRINTS
Organization: Kitsch-soft

#3 Post by Sapphi »

Seconding the silence thing; if you sit for awhile the blood in your ears starts rushing loudly and it is really pretty terrifying because you can't get away.
"It is [the writer's] privilege to help man endure by lifting his heart,
by reminding him of the courage and honor and hope and pride
and compassion and pity and sacrifice which have been the glory of his past."
— William Faulkner
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬..+X+..▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬

Taleweaver
Writing Maniac
Completed: Metropolitan Blues, The Loyal Kinsman, Daemonophilia, The Dreaming, The Thirteenth Year, Adrift, Bionic Heart 2, Secrets of the Wolf, The Photographer
Projects: The Pilgrim's Path, Elspeth's Garden, Secret Adventure Game!
Organization: Tall Tales Productions

#4 Post by Taleweaver »

Silence is exceptionally scary if you were used to hearing something all the time before that. Like, in a game, there's a piece of BG music all the time, and then that suddenly STOPS.

Aside from that, really really quiet whispering can TOTALLY unnerve me. I never thought that possible until it happened to me when I was sitting in my doctor's waiting room and two teenage girls were sitting on the opposite side of me and constantly whispered to one another. After six or seven minutes, my discomfort was so big that I had to stand up and leave the room.
Scriptwriter and producer of Metropolitan Blues
Creator of The Loyal Kinsman
Scriptwriter and director of Daemonophilia
Scriptwriter and director of The Dreaming
Scriptwriter of Zenith Chronicles
Scriptwriter and director of The Thirteenth Year
Scriptwriter and director of Romance is Dead
Scriptwriter and producer of Adrift
More about me in my blog
"Adrift - Like Ever17, but without the Deus Ex Machina" - HigurashiKira

CombatEye
Regular

#5 Post by CombatEye »

I totally second whispering. It can get so creepy if used in certain ways.

JustAnotherMe
Veteran
Projects: Kuro no Chou; 0.3 Second Lunch

#6 Post by JustAnotherMe »

...sounds of cats mating in the night... it really heard like a baby crying so clearly... in the middle of the night... can you imagine that?
Oh, and minor chords. In music. I find it so creepy, but in a nice way XD
You are bigger than what you think but smaller than you can imagine.
0.3 second lunch

lordcloudx
Eileen-Class Veteran

#7 Post by lordcloudx »

@JustAnotherMe: Haha! I do hear those kinds of sounds from cats all the time here. I don't find them haunting anymore, although I used to. Now they're just annoying. But yeah, I sometimes mistake those sounds for a baby crying.

More on the silence thing, has anyone else ever heard a kind of faint music with a happy, upbeat tempo once you've been in total silence for a few minutes? I'm not kidding, It sounds kinda like 3-4 xylophones playing a happy, familiar but also haunting tune. The kind you'd probably hear at carnivals and fairs.

If I'm the only one, or if this can't be explained away with conventional wisdom, I guess we can all happily conclude that I'd lost my mind a long time ago. :)
How do you make your games? I see. Thank you for the prompt replies, but it is my considered opinion that you're doing it wrong inefficiently because I am a perfushenal professional. Do it my way this way and we can all ascend VN Nirvana together while allowing me to stroke my ego you will improve much faster. Also, please don't forget to thank me for this constructive critique or I will cry and bore you to death respond appropriately with a tl;dr rant discourse of epic adequately lengthy proportions. - Sarcasm Veiled in Euphemism: Secrets of Forum Civility by lordcloudx (Coming soon to an online ebook near you.)

JustAnotherMe
Veteran
Projects: Kuro no Chou; 0.3 Second Lunch

#8 Post by JustAnotherMe »

@lordcloudx: wow!!! It'd probably be super annoying at times @_@
And you're not the only one who found those carnivals music is scary. You know this one game at kongregate I think, Alice is Dead? The first chapter is super creepy, although the music is like, happy-doppy-creepy-scary-now-I-want-to-quit-it.
You are bigger than what you think but smaller than you can imagine.
0.3 second lunch

leon
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Visual Novel Tycoon, Night at the Hospital, Time Labyrinth, The Buried Moon, Left of Center, Super Otome Quest
Projects: Lemon Project, Porcelain Heart, Dream's Dénouement
Organization: Team ANARKY

#9 Post by leon »

lordcloudx wrote:@JustAnotherMe: Haha! I do hear those kinds of sounds from cats all the time here. I don't find them haunting anymore, although I used to. Now they're just annoying. But yeah, I sometimes mistake those sounds for a baby crying.
Me too. I wish I could throw stuff at those stupid cats, but it's usually my cat...

This isn't really scary, but it may still raise your hair (or at least make you touch it) - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IUDTlvagjJA (don't worry it's not one of these stupid pranks).

lordcloudx
Eileen-Class Veteran

#10 Post by lordcloudx »

I actually shoot them with a cheap BB gun whenever I get the chance. :lol:

Sapphi
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: Boku no Taisetsu na Yumeko
Projects: Twelve, PAW ★ PRINTS
Organization: Kitsch-soft

#11 Post by Sapphi »

@Taleweaver: Jeez, going to the doctor is scary enough. I would already be scared in the first place ^_^;

@JAM: omg, I know what you mean about the cats! I love cats, but that really freaks me out!

@Lordcloud: I actually think I know what you're talking about with the music. My boyfriend is a compulsive DS player and usually has the music on very low. But there are lots of times I hear him playing when he isn't (like when he isn't even around).

I thought of a sound to add. The sound of running water, like when someone left the sink on, at night when you're the only one awake ._.

Or, worse - the sound of knocking (on a door) when it's dark and late and I'm alone... my gosh, my eyes are watering just typing this.... ahhhhh, everything scares me
"It is [the writer's] privilege to help man endure by lifting his heart,
by reminding him of the courage and honor and hope and pride
and compassion and pity and sacrifice which have been the glory of his past."
— William Faulkner
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬..+X+..▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬