What to do if you're sick in hospital?

Forum organization and occasional community-building.
Forum rules
Questions about Ren'Py should go in the Ren'Py Questions and Announcements forum.
Wright1000
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Finding A Murderer, Memory Loss, Crime Investigation, Stay away from the graveyard, Last Day at School, Lonesome, Email, Hired Gun, Dusk, Hired Gun 2, Man-at-arms, Hired Gun 3, The Phantom Caller, Street Girl, Free love, The Story of Isabel Claudia

Re: What to do if you're sick in hospital?

#16 Post by Wright1000 »

I think you are very lucky if you are in a luxurious hospital with a computer and an internet connection. If I were you, I would use that time for my visual novel, of course.
He who doesn't care about the environment doesn't care about his grandchildren.

9:19
Veteran
Projects: Green Eyed Monster [complete]

#17 Post by 9:19 »

Chocolate keeps you calm.

...you sure?

How's hospital food? (Or are you doing that fantastic stunt where you drink canned milk intravenously through a tube up the nose?) Do you get dessert? My nurse took pity on my kicked puppy face and gave me chocolate mousse.

JustAnotherMe
Veteran
Projects: Kuro no Chou; 0.3 Second Lunch

#18 Post by JustAnotherMe »

@LVUER: yeah, I'll do that!! XD Chocolate... is good... I'm drooling right now... but I can't eat that beautiful and adorable thing ever in this mortal world, right now... I might cry if I throw up that sweet and cute being...

@Wright: not a computer from the hospital. It's my usual laptop and mobile phone. Yeah, I believe you can make something for your VN... if you don't feel like the world would end anytime from the pains... I guess the hospital would look like a hotel... (ahhh, ignore those things. I just feel like grumbling a little... sorry...)

@9:19:

...RRRRAAAAAWWWWRRGGGGGGHHHHHHH!!!!!!!

You almost make me lick my monitor!!!!! EEWWWW!!!! (I take back what I said before!!!!)

Hospital food is really good!!! They don't taste like... anything!!! In fact, they tastes like AIR!! YAP! MINERAL WATER! And sometimes they just tastes like... vomit (or is it me, throwing up? I guess...) So I bless everyone who invent a way to make a liquid food through my vein. And the best thing is?? I can do cosplay for a thin corpse without any make up on!! XD

...I might do your genius tactic next time... (let me ask you something. Are you a prodigy??? How can you be so genius???)

Chocolate mousse... I'm sure I'm drooling right now... damn you chocolate and your heavenly being...
You are bigger than what you think but smaller than you can imagine.
0.3 second lunch

SilverxBlue
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Caught in Between: A childhood prologue
Projects: MDLS, Alice Hunt(Temporarily on-hold), The Guardian's Spell and one other unannounced thing.

#19 Post by SilverxBlue »

Well, what I usually did when I was stuck in the hospital last, last week was to work on VNs, listen to music, read and play games.

I had my laptop, PSP and iPhone with me, but I wasn't able to access the internet because the stupid hospital had stupid passwords for their stupid wi-fi and I think we have to pay an extra amount of money or something like that just so I could access it. (Stupid Cheapskates.)
So, yeah, all I did was work on my VNs and if my leg would suddenly hurt and I really want to lie on my back, I'd read an e-book that my cousin downloaded, or play a game instead. And if my leg really hurts to the point that I can't concentrate anymore, I'll either sleep or listen to music.

I think the last one would work best for you, since you need a LOT of rest, but if you're really not that sleepy, then listening to music or reading is the best way to go. :D

And, I totally feel your pain on the needles, I practically screamed when the nurse suddenly injected me while I was fast asleep. (The pain on my leg was already bad enough, why do they have to use needles on me?!) The nurse said it was a painkiller, but I don't really think it was necessary.

Oh and speaking of hot male nurses, when I was on my 4th/5th day in the hospital, there was some sort of confusion (I'm not sure what.) and I temporarily got a new nurse, who turns out to be a really cute guy, to check on me. But my dad and stepmom got all paranoid and complained that they "specifically" requested that I will always get a nurse of the same gender. (The way they acted made it seem like they saw him sexually harassing me, so guess who got embarrassed by their over-protective parents that day.) *Sigh* :roll:

Anyways, enough with the ramblings, I should just wish for you to get well soon~ ^_^
Image Image
"A fool who doesn't think is more foolish than a fool who foolishly thinks." - Franziska Von Karma
Weeeeeee~
不愉快です !!!

Riviera
Miko-Class Veteran

#20 Post by Riviera »

You could try watching streaming television shows on the laptop?

Sorry to hear you're feeling SO bad :(

I'd send chocolate if I could!!
Will edit/proofread for cookies.

I do free voicework! Click here for samples

JustAnotherMe
Veteran

#21 Post by JustAnotherMe »

@silverxblue chan: ahhhhh, it sure sucks... but my pain killer is either through... uhmmm... you know... or through shot. The first one is for when the pain isn't so bad, but it's shameful... (I'm used to that though) and the latter is when the pain is intolerable.
LOL!! I'm lucky my parents got me a VIP room so there's a free wi-fi and the room isn't so bad. It can be called a hotel, if not with those machines and needles... >=(
When the pain is intolerable I usually can't do anything except trying to hold my shout which ends in failure usually. Or gasping trying to breath. Or... well...

AGGGHHH!!! CUTE MALE NURSE!!! AGHHH!!! I can feel your pain!! Why do our parents have to be so overprotective in front of HOT AND CUTE male nurse?????? *sob... (though I'd feel my face will burn if he change my clothe or washing my body or putting in... the pain killer... I bet it's just for the female nurses... I can't stand just imagining it...)

Nahhh~ it really helps a lot, to be able to chat with others. My fb and mobile phone always on when it's time like this one. Thanks, cutieee~ XDDD

@riviera: streaming tv shows?? Do you mean like youtube? errrrr~ sorry, stupid me... is there any?

Nahhh, it's not so bad sometimes. Like now! I could even draw a request, though it's really messy and almost not like human. Though my head feels dizzy right after doing a 'hard' work like that...

You could send me a chocolate through telepathy!! XPP
(I'm still drooling right now!!)
0.3 second lunch

Mink
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: Say You Love Me (Short Version), C!P (NaNo12), Lady Misfortune, NatH, W/K, MtF, SMQ, TBM, TMHK, LoC, MMDG
Projects: Stuff
Organization: Metal Orphans

#22 Post by Mink »

I'd suggest watching Hulu, but Hulu hates you if you're not American. :C

Other than that, read maybe? I don't know, I haven't actually been admitted to the hospital since I was like...three, and that was for heart surgery. :/ Other times were me visiting someone in the hospital, which was generally (relatively) short.

Hope you feel better soon, though.
"I will send a fully armed battalion to remind you of my love."

***Say You Love Me***Human Enough***Cheerful!Polymorph [NaNo12][Complete!]***
"Couldn't you stop this?"
"Probably, but I don't want to."

*Website, yo*

9:19
Veteran
Projects: Green Eyed Monster [complete]

#23 Post by 9:19 »

The nutrient supplement I took had the scent of warm milk. I was actually relieved to be put on a mush diet. The menu was nice.

You're puking? I cringe for you, mate. Really hope you recover soon.

Riviera
Miko-Class Veteran

#24 Post by Riviera »

Yeah, Hulu is a good one (but US only)... CrunchyRoll is also an option if you like anime. There's also SideReel.com.

If you're in the UK, the BBC iPlayer might be a good option.

Fox also does full episode broadcasts of their shows (on fox.com), and so does CBS (at cbs.com).

You can watch classic tv shows at tvland.com.

If you're in Canada, you can check out ctv.ca for their tv shows.
Will edit/proofread for cookies.

I do free voicework! Click here for samples

Lumen_Astrum
Dystopian Princess
Completed: Soul and Heart, Twin Faces
Projects: Soul and Heart Replay; The Court of the Two Sides (tentative title)
Organization: Lion Box Studios
Tumblr: lumenizampel

#25 Post by Lumen_Astrum »

When I'm in the hospital, I just read books or sleep or listen to music. If I'm lucky enough to have my dad's laptop beside me, I'd play Angry Birds or Doodle God or Virtual Villagers the whole day or draw or search random stuff in the internet. Hey, I was able to last the whole day without standing by doing that! D<

And. You. Are. Admitted. In. A. Damn. Hospital. I need to PM you right away now to ask about the experience. I need need it so bad right now, I forgot the things that happened the last time I was in the hospital except for to play and to click around the expresso machines, lol.

lordcloudx
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: http://rd2k2-games.blogspot.com

#26 Post by lordcloudx »

Here's a suggestion that might be worth trying: Keep a diary or a journal and make up exaggerated stories about your interactions with the hospital staff. Don't use their real names. Give them nicknames like Miss Tsundere, Dr. Mustache-face, Mr. Cutie, Mr. Hot Stuff or something to that effect. Try to notice their tiny quirks and mannerisms and use these to spice up their character in your story :). (note: you can also use your laptop or tablet for this. I just find it easier to write with actual pen and paper)
How do you make your games? I see. Thank you for the prompt replies, but it is my considered opinion that you're doing it wrong inefficiently because I am a perfushenal professional. Do it my way this way and we can all ascend VN Nirvana together while allowing me to stroke my ego you will improve much faster. Also, please don't forget to thank me for this constructive critique or I will cry and bore you to death respond appropriately with a tl;dr rant discourse of epic adequately lengthy proportions. - Sarcasm Veiled in Euphemism: Secrets of Forum Civility by lordcloudx (Coming soon to an online ebook near you.)

redcat
Regular

#27 Post by redcat »

I second lordcloux suggestion :D

Some people here had been admitted to the hospital for serious illness/injuries. This could bring inspiration for some writers - as they realized that they could use those experiences to make a more "believable" character/setting/story-telling (especially if the story is related to a sick/injured character). Instead of letting it disappeared into your past, why not shared it with the rest of us? Perhaps you could make a diary of yourself while in hospital, and turn it into a story of some kind (half-fiction is okay, especially if you need to conceal something). Or going further, make it into a VN... (something like Narcissu or Kana Imouto came to mind).
Meowwngg...??

JustAnotherMe
Veteran

#28 Post by JustAnotherMe »

@Mink: thanks!! XD
And- ugh- I'm hated by Hulu TAT *sob
Yeah, I'll try to read some kind of light story. A really light manga I think so I don't have to picture and asking everything in my mind.
@9:19: wahhh- a warm milk~ ahhhhhh.... I hope I could soak my body in that... ahhhh~
thanks matey <3
@riviera: the television here have those things, I especially like Nickelodeon and Animax and StarMovies and Discovery Channel and MTV. I'll try crunchy roll <3
@Lumen: Gahahaha!! I know that feeling! I just can't stand to see a button untouched. (I have an experience when I just call and call a nurse from the nurse call button. Without anything I want and need. XD I was scolded ;p)
Sent you a reply^^
@lordcloudx: waaaahhhhh~ such good thing!!!!! (But I don't have many male references here... TAT I want to go back to the physiotherapy room where I met with a young and cheerful and cute and strong male nurse... I was so sure I fell too much in his embrace... what a body... *gulp)
@redcat: LOL!! XD I hope I have a courage to write them. It's too full with words I don't know. You know, doctor's language... And too much medicines and dirty things. Yeah. DIRTY. I guess they don't really tell you all about the dirty things in the game. I mean dirt like feces and urine and other liquid... I bet it'd be a really dirty VN... ugh... though I don't mind to share some of my experience if you ask me ^^
0.3 second lunch

Desu_Cake
Veteran
Projects: Secret, Secret and Secret

#29 Post by Desu_Cake »

If you're going to be there for any length of time, I'd suggest getting into a really long series of some kind. My mother was hospitalised for two weeks before, and she read the entire Harry Potter series while she was there. (Well, the 6th and 7th books weren't out at the time but...) It's better than watching/reading bits and pieces of things, makes time go faster.

redcat
Regular

#30 Post by redcat »

@JAM PM sent :D

If you have internet access, you could also make time go faster by reading some series in mangafox or other scanlation site. Just make sure you don't became addicted to it... :P (sometimes I couldn't stop reading for 5-8 hours when I read mangas... my bad... >_< )
Meowwngg...??