What to do if you're sick in hospital?

Forum organization and occasional community-building.
Forum rules
Questions about Ren'Py should go in the Ren'Py Questions and Announcements forum.
JustAnotherMe
Veteran
Projects: Kuro no Chou; 0.3 Second Lunch

What to do if you're sick in hospital?

#1 Post by JustAnotherMe »

I'm just asking this since I'm sick, lying hopelessly in a white room in a hospital. It have internet connection, but all I have is my mobile phone. Chatting: already sick of it. Too many people gather at my place and I can't stand the noise, it just makes my headache far worse (and not to mention the medicine do take effect)

The TV? Nothing new. It's always the same.

And those needles are hurting, and I believe every 30 mins - 1 hour, there's always a nurse and doctor checking up. (I'm already used to it from my previous experiences) And I can't even walk, my head hurts and my stomach hurts. I want to scratch ideas for the game, but... guess I can't make good plot right now... and I don't want to start trolling on everybody else.
(Don't ask me what's my illness)

Ok, so the question guys, what to do??????? WHAT TO DO??? (Sorry if I look like I'm ranting, but I just... again, sorry) What to do if you're unable to do anything and you're bored to death? Even your skin starting to feel like it's burning from lying in the same position too much?
You are bigger than what you think but smaller than you can imagine.
0.3 second lunch

Rewritten Ennui
Veteran
Organization: TwinTurtle Games

Re: What to do if you're sick in hospital?

#2 Post by Rewritten Ennui »

I ended up in the ER one day during the past summer vacation, and even though it was only for about 2-3 hours, it was definitely not fun DDDDDDDD: Most of the time I was too drowsy to think properly thanks to the meds they injected in me, so I took a nice, long nap.

Of course, I don't think that'll be enough activity to keep someone busy if they're staying at a hospital for more than one day. I would read a book or just chill out if I were in your position. Maybe if your mind's clear enough (and maybe I'm the only one who does this >_>), "interact" with your characters. Talk to them, ask them questions, make fun of them, torment them... I'M NOT HIGH OKAY? THIS HELPS ME PASS THE TIME AND GET TO KNOW MY CHARACTERS BETTER AT THE SAME TIME T_T Just don't overexert yourself.

I hope you get better soon ;-;
I've swapped accounts to CheeryMoya, so this account is no longer in use. Refer to the new account if you want to contact me.

Twinturtle Games Website

Riviera
Miko-Class Veteran

#3 Post by Riviera »

Reading. Lots of reading. Whether in physical book format, audio book format, or on an ereader.

I do lots of reading when I'm sick. ._.
Will edit/proofread for cookies.

I do free voicework! Click here for samples

lordcloudx
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: http://rd2k2-games.blogspot.com

#4 Post by lordcloudx »

Now would be a good time to watch some random movie that you wouldn't normally watch on TV. Otherwise, catch up on some anime if you watch em. Also, why not try out some random free VN that you've never thought of reading/playing before?
How do you make your games? I see. Thank you for the prompt replies, but it is my considered opinion that you're doing it wrong inefficiently because I am a perfushenal professional. Do it my way this way and we can all ascend VN Nirvana together while allowing me to stroke my ego you will improve much faster. Also, please don't forget to thank me for this constructive critique or I will cry and bore you to death respond appropriately with a tl;dr rant discourse of epic adequately lengthy proportions. - Sarcasm Veiled in Euphemism: Secrets of Forum Civility by lordcloudx (Coming soon to an online ebook near you.)

TsukiShima
Miko-Class Veteran
Projects: Heartful Memory

#5 Post by TsukiShima »

I'm really sorry to hear that JAM ;A; I wish I can know what happened to you, but I just wish you to be well now ;__; Are you still hurting there? I hope you'll be home soon..

I.. well, never been submitted to a hospital, I don't know what is allowed there or not.
But I do get bored, so, if I were bored, I'll listen to some musics. I won't be listening to those emotional songs though (this new me doesn't like to be emo) and so I listen to those song that will make me happy.

And maybe you can get yourself some puzzles? Maybe later on you can put it into your game. I love solving puzzles or quizzes. Recently now I've been playing a time table challenges that requires me to multiple simple numbers within a few seconds and while the answers are provided, there's other numbers messing around xD

Well, um, honestly I'm not making a progress on anything because I'm really addicted to my PSP now :3

And last but not least, reading, of course. But stop reading all those horror stuff JAM! xD You should really read something sci-fic, or full with unicorns and rainbows. Or mangas. Mangas are good.

Wyldstrife
Completed: Working on that
Projects: How 2 D!e
Organization: CMI

#6 Post by Wyldstrife »

I was put in the heart ward for a week, back in September, after having intense chest pains over the weekend. Once admitted to the hospital, my friends and family came by with books, magazines and such, to tie me over while I waited paitiently. It's a tediuous experience, but I found that, as long as you have something to read and stimulate the mind, you'll be fine, so my recommendation would be to ask someone to get you a good book to read while your there. Or play games on your mobile phone, which I did towards the end of my stay, although they hardly present much stimulus for the mind, but are a welcome distraction nonetheless.

JustAnotherMe
Veteran

#7 Post by JustAnotherMe »

the thing is: it's usually like this. Got an attack, and I must lay down in hospital for about 10 days or more if needed. I can't do anything that takes too much energy and mind. Ah- now I can connect with my lappy, but I still have no enough consciousness to read any novel or manga or magz. I have no strength to. I can get this lappy from my mom because I promise to just checking emails and stuff after another pain killer. (I don't want to suddenly coughing blood all over my lappy or have another attack and crush this adorable thing) ugh- I feel I'm talking nonsense now... am I? okay. Ignore it.

sorry I can't give appropiate reply to everyone whose so kind to tell some ugh, opinions. But here they are:
@Ennui: thanks, I'll do that. I really want to put my characters in so much pain right now. Though I might forget about those things the next morning, but it's fun to do that, uhm, I think.
@Riviera: yeah, reading helps a lot... when you can read...
@lordcloudx: ahahaha. I think I'll do that. Though I never pay attention to girl's generation or cnn, I'll try watching them. Oh, and some korean drama. I hope they will keep me entertained. And focused.
@Hana: ahahaha, it's okay, I don't know if I can get cured from this annoying thing. But I'm sure I'm strong enough to put you into more misery with horror stuff. Thanks for your gut luck.
@Wyld: yeah, I usually do those things. Though now I can't read and focus on anything (writing this thing took me all my effort), but I already prepared books and a portable dvd player. My mobile games suck. I don't know if I'm willing to play any more angry bird... Sorry for your heart attack...

thanks everyone for giving me suggestions. Maybe there's another creative things to do? Like, searching doraemon and force him to give his magical stuff?
0.3 second lunch

Fawn
Moe Imouto

#8 Post by Fawn »

Ugh, I hear you about needles. :( F***ing needles...

The only thing I can suggest is listen to some music and sleep. Everything else sucks when you have one of those things in your arm and you're hooked up to a machine. If you listen to some instrumental music while you sleep you may have some cool dreams. Dreams are the best entertainment when you're sick :)

Sapphi
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: Boku no Taisetsu na Yumeko
Projects: Twelve, PAW ★ PRINTS
Organization: Kitsch-soft

#9 Post by Sapphi »

Aw man, I hope you recover fast... I would go crazy. I hate that terrible feeling when you're not tired enough to sleep, but you don't feel well enough to concentrate, so you're just lying there bored out of your mind.
lordcloudx wrote:Now would be a good time to watch some random movie that you wouldn't normally watch on TV.
I would second this... sometimes when you're in a sick state of mind you can appreciate random films a little more (you're not expecting it will be good, so what IS good about it will entertain you).
Fawn wrote:Dreams are the best entertainment when you're sick :)
Yes! They are... lovely hallucinatory dreams... mmmm >/////>
"It is [the writer's] privilege to help man endure by lifting his heart,
by reminding him of the courage and honor and hope and pride
and compassion and pity and sacrifice which have been the glory of his past."
— William Faulkner
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬..+X+..▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬

9:19
Veteran
Projects: Green Eyed Monster [complete]

#10 Post by 9:19 »

Oh man, I hope you get better soon! I've been in hospital for a month before. My room had paintings though. I passed time trying to figure out what the hell the paintings were about. I was so convinced one of them was of belly-dancing monks, but then upon discharge I realized it was fish. Oh me XD

If you get bored enough, you might even consider turning your hospital stay into the premise for an otome game lol. +5 hot male nurses and -60 needles, of course.

LVUER
King of Lolies
Completed: R.S.P

#11 Post by LVUER »

1. Read novels. Buy a bunch of new novels (ask your friend or family).
2. Get a laptop (preferably 12"/13" netbook), load it with lots of games and movies.
3. Get a NDS or PSP. Don't forget to bring lots of games too.
"Double the princesses, quadruple the fun!" - Haken Browning (SRW-OG Endless Frontier)

DeviantArt Account
MoeToMecha Blog (under construction)
Lolicondria Blog (under construction) <- NSFW

redcat
Regular

#12 Post by redcat »

@JAM--> I hope you get well soon - and got cured of the illness.

Err, what kind of illness do you have, actually? I'm hesitated to give you any suggestion because what good for one patient doesn't necessarily good for the others.
If my illness have something to do with the brain (let's say, a stroke or a hemorrhoid on the brain), I wouldn't do anything that need too much mental work/concentration (like reading novel or playing puzzle games). Watching TV is fine for most patients, but if I have epilepsy (or even just a migraine) then I would avoid any movie/anime/show that has flash or special effect that could trigger new attacks. If I have heart conditions, then playing/watching horror/thriller game/movie is absolutely a no-no.
Fawn wrote:The only thing I can suggest is listen to some music and sleep. Everything else sucks when you have one of those things in your arm and you're hooked up to a machine. If you listen to some instrumental music while you sleep you may have some cool dreams. Dreams are the best entertainment when you're sick
Good advice. Sleep well and get well. Certain music can help us set the good mood.
Sapphi wrote:I hate that terrible feeling when you're not tired enough to sleep, but you don't feel well enough to concentrate, so you're just lying there bored out of your mind.
Yeah, I had it too >_<
I once hospitalized for nearly a month after kissing the road at 60km/h (thank goodness I was using a helmet back then!). When you have a head-splitting pain, you'll be too distracted that you won't even be able to watch TV (let alone chatting, reading or playing anything!). Taking painkiller will ease the pain and remove the distraction, but then it removed your concentration too >_<
Meowwngg...??

sake-bento
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: http://sakevisual.com/games.html
Projects: Every Sunrise, Shinsei
Organization: sakevisual
Tumblr: sakevisual
Deviantart: sakevisual
itch: sakevisual

#13 Post by sake-bento »

Whenever I'm in the hospital, I usually sleep. ^_^;; I try to read books, but usually it makes me dizzy. Sleeping will help make you feel better and heal faster, anyway. Are you getting regular shots? If you've got an IV, there shouldn't be a needle in your arm, so it shouldn't really hurt that much. Sometimes I sketch hospital equipment, just in case I ever have to write a scene in a hospital.

JustAnotherMe
Veteran

#14 Post by JustAnotherMe »

thanks for the suggestion evryone<333

@fawn: yeah... needles not good... chocolate is good... instrumental music is absolute yes!!
@sapphi: never been better with those feelings of can't but want to sleep. Yeah, it'd sometimes drive me crazy. And I want chocolate... no one would give me that heavenly thing here... *sob
that's a good way to appreciate films you never watched before XD
@9:19: no! The you when got discharged was the wrong one! It's absolutely a belly-dancing monk! And the other is you with hula hoop and shocking blue tight suit!!! I can't be wrong! I have a third eye!!
And 5 hot male nurses and 2 hot doctors will keep me in the hospital for much longer. (might as well make them into a novel, with me as the main protagonist XDDD)
And especially if someone give me a chocolate to keep me calm...
@LVUER: I absolutely want PSP and NDS. Or netbook. But strict parents are strict parents. (Even though I want to buy them with my own money...) Oh, and chocolate. They won't give me a tiny bite of chocolate.
@redcat: thanks for the concern redcat, but I'd rather keep the info myself. have my own reasons Oh, and I believe I know what not to do and what to do, so it's okay, I'll just filter through things. XD
Though I want chocolate. Right now. Meowwwwrrrrr!!!
@sake-chan: yeah, books usually makes me dizzy if I'm in no condition to read. Sleeping is good when I don't get sick of it already. It's an IV, but it's hurting too. Though it's not like it's hurting like getting shot repeatedly in search of the right vein, hopelessly. Ah, I'll sketch them then. Right away. And I'll try not to draw too many chocolate bars on top of one of those machines and tables. Maybe I'll ask one of the nurse or the doctor to pose for me.

*Ignore those chocolates.
0.3 second lunch

LVUER
King of Lolies
Completed: R.S.P

#15 Post by LVUER »

Then try a radio and/or music player. It's not much but at least you have something to hear. Some tunes, news, or your favorite radio station.

I kinda skimmed the whole thread... what's with the chocolate?
"Double the princesses, quadruple the fun!" - Haken Browning (SRW-OG Endless Frontier)

DeviantArt Account
MoeToMecha Blog (under construction)
Lolicondria Blog (under construction) <- NSFW