What was the first visual novel you played?

Forum organization and occasional community-building.
Forum rules
Questions about Ren'Py should go in the Ren'Py Questions and Announcements forum.
Der Tor
Veteran
Completed: Der Totengräber, There is always a Choice
Projects: Ultimate Yandere Simulator, The Comic Strip "Nami Otaku", Koenchu (German version)

Re: What was the first visual novel you played?

#151 Post by Der Tor » Fri Mar 09, 2018 1:50 pm

I used to answer this question with the PK Girl - at least that was the first fan made one I played.
But back then there were no engines, so it was created with an adventure game engine, so I guess technically it doesn't count, as it is technically an adventure game.
And if it doesn't count, it's hard to say - or rather hard to remember. I remember playing "Tales of Lemma" back when it came out - but it probably wasn't the first one I played. The first professional one (or at least the one I most fondly remember) was Ever17.
Besucht mein deutsches Visual Novel Wiki:
http://www.visual-novel.de

DVD2heart
Projects: Mr. End of The World
Tumblr: http://dvd2heart.tumblr.com/
Deviantart: dvd201

#152 Post by DVD2heart » Mon Mar 12, 2018 6:08 pm

The first VN i ever played was King of Fighters Kyo for the PS1. I finished and enjoyed it despite not even being translated. I was into Kof so interacting with the characters outside of a fighting game was an awesome experience for me. I remember drawing up a time sheet of all the game overs and events throughout the game.

The first translated VN i played was probably Tsukihime. I was exposed to the characters through Vanilla Melty Blood and wanted to know more. After that, Type Moon became one of my favorite developers.

hoihoisoi
Regular
Projects: The Lost Sheep Of Purgatory 「煉獄の亡羊」
Organization: House Of Duematrix
Tumblr: HouseOfDuematrix

#153 Post by hoihoisoi » Sun Mar 25, 2018 10:28 am

I'd say Phoenix Wright was probably my first, although I didn't know it was considered a visual novel back then. If you're talking about purely traditional VNs with no gameplay whatsoever however, that would be Phenomeno, was pretty scary from what I recall. X(
Current Active Project:
[Mystery, Comedy, Drama]
[Kinetic Novel]

Check it out by clicking on the siggy above!

GoldBrows

#154 Post by GoldBrows » Tue Mar 27, 2018 7:01 pm

Hatoful Boyfriend was my first! I was kinda aware of visual novels before that, but had never paid much attention. However, after seeing a lot of memes and jokes about HB my friends I decided to play it and we ended up being blown away by how crazy it was. I bought the sequel after that and started paying more attention to VNs.

MasterPuppeteer
Regular
Projects: WIP Fantasy/Adventure VN
Tumblr: wolfganghelps
Deviantart: muhshroom

#155 Post by MasterPuppeteer » Tue Apr 03, 2018 2:11 am

Before I knew what a VN was? Ace Attorney, and although not technically a VN, Choose Your Own Adventure books.

I then played mobile otomes, which was basically just the Shall We Date series.
First VN on PC was definitely (P)lanets. Loved that one, and am forever sad that (P)lanets 2 got cancelled.

EDIT: Take it back. I played Frozen Essence (BIG TIME FAVE) and RE: Alistair right around the same time. Idk which was first. And then Katawa Shoujo, n it just snowballed from there lol.

LuckyBerry
Projects: Summer Wonderland, The Magic Castle (titles subject to change)

#156 Post by LuckyBerry » Tue May 15, 2018 6:06 pm

I'm pretty sure it was My Forged Wedding by Voltage, though at that time I didn't know what a Visual Novel was (and didn't even finish my first path). The visual novel that made me aware of the whole genre and of ren'py was Macuyo's Get Dumped which was the second VN I discovered on Google Playstore :)