What was the first visual novel you played?

Forum organization and occasional community-building.
Forum rules
Questions about Ren'Py should go in the Ren'Py Questions and Announcements forum.
HigurashiKira
Miko-Class Veteran

Re: What was the first visual novel you played?

#16 Post by HigurashiKira »

My first VN was Higurashi no Naku Koro Ni, I became interested when people were talking about a "game" when they mentioned Higurashi. One google search later and I found myself engaged into the world of VN's. But what really got me into it was Narcissu, and is perhaps the only game where I genuinely cried.

Sad to say, thanks to my rather grimdark collection (Umineko, 3days, Saya no Uta, Killer Queen, Corpse Party, etc.) I have been unable to enjoy the "masterpieces" of Visual novels like Clannad or Kana Imouto since I inadvertedly gag with slice-of-life stories and games. (The only one where I succeded in reading was Ever17, and that was just because of the premise AND the Coco route)
I have moved to a new account. Please contact me here from now on. T/Y~

Pyonkotchi
Veteran
Projects: Magical Warrior Diamond Heart, unLucky Love, Phantom Thief Asterism
Tumblr: magicalwarriordiamondheart
Deviantart: PastelPyon
itch: Pyonkotchi

#17 Post by Pyonkotchi »

I don't even know. I THINK it was Lux pain. I don't think I knew it was a VN back then though

MoPark
Regular
Projects: Kangaroo, Terminal Love

#18 Post by MoPark »

First one I played was given out on a free CD at Otakon. I had no idea what was going on or what it was.
I later made one myself, mostly because I heard about Renpy and wanted to try it out to make a quick game.
Later on I played Christine Love's "Digital: A Love Story," and I didn't realize that it was made in Renpy at the time and that it technically was a VN!
Then I thought a lot about the genre in general. I've played a couple I've seen on Renai, but I'd love to play some more.

OtomeWeekend
Eileen-Class Veteran

#19 Post by OtomeWeekend »

Pyonkotchi wrote:I don't even know. I THINK it was Lux pain. I don't think I knew it was a VN back then though
Me too. Dx But I think it was Hiiro no Kakera DS or Hoshizora no Comic Garden.... *shrugs* Never knew that it was called "Visual Novel" at that time all I know was that I can glomp guys there xDD

EDIT: So refreshing my memory bank, I think my very first VN was Tenchi Muyo for PS1, I don't remember much since I'm just about 7~9 years old back then and I can't even read Japanese then(I just guess all the way to the ending) 8D
If that's not it, I think it was an H-game called Princess Waltz... no one told me it was an H so I played it until the sex scene came up and I rage quit it.
"The weak can never forgive. Forgiveness is the attribute of the strong." ---Mahatma Gandhi

I no longer use this account. Please refer to my new account, enta if you want to contact me. Thank you.

LVUER
King of Lolies
Completed: R.S.P

#20 Post by LVUER »

OtomeWeekend wrote:
Pyonkotchi wrote:I don't even know. I THINK it was Lux pain. I don't think I knew it was a VN back then though
Me too. Dx But I think it was Hiiro no Kakera DS or Hoshizora no Comic Garden.... *shrugs* Never knew that it was called "Visual Novel" at that time all I know was that I can glomp guys there xDD

EDIT: So refreshing my memory bank, I think my very first VN was Tenchi Muyo for PS1, I don't remember much since I'm just about 7~9 years old back then and I can't even read Japanese then(I just guess all the way to the ending) 8D
If that's not it, I think it was an H-game called Princess Waltz... no one told me it was an H so I played it until the sex scene came up and I rage quit it.
Why didn't you look at the 18+ warning before playing the game? (^^;)
"Double the princesses, quadruple the fun!" - Haken Browning (SRW-OG Endless Frontier)

DeviantArt Account
MoeToMecha Blog (under construction)
Lolicondria Blog (under construction) <- NSFW

SvenTheViking
Regular
Projects: Chronicles of the Timetraveler's Wars
Organization: ProgMan Productions; Polymorphic Games

#21 Post by SvenTheViking »

Depending on how strict your definition of 'visual' and 'novel' are, maybe.... Myst?

Actual visual novel, Fate/stay night, more or less because I was told to play it. Months ago. And I still haven't finished it.

Aka-kami
Regular
Projects: A long-ish project. Will probably make a WIP thread when it's 50% done.

#22 Post by Aka-kami »

Umineko no Naku Koro Ni was the first 'true' visual novel I've played >A>;; afterwards I played starry sky then a couple of BL games o u o;; Nowadays all I really play are OELVNs or BL games o3o;;

If you count fllash games... Then the very first one I played was a stat raising game back at neutral grounds lol. Then there was the games by Pacthesis. Counting Rpgs with visual novel aspects, there would be persona 3 and 4.

I only decided to make my own when I stumbled upon this really old project the name of which I've long forgotten. It was on Blade engine If I remember correctly.
See ya.

AlexisPius
Projects: "On Media"

#23 Post by AlexisPius »

I played Fate/Stay Night.

It was severely lacking in many respects, but at the same time, there were some very well-done aspects.

Applegate
Miko-Class Veteran

#24 Post by Applegate »

"Tegami" or "The Letter" from one of those Altogether Insani festivals. Charmed me right off the bat, it's a shame no one's translated that same group's other works! (hint, hint, nudge, nudge?)

silenteve
Veteran
Projects: Forgotten and Remembered, Scarecrow, I Will Be Waiting, Hidden in Spring, Juliette, L.O.S.E.R, The Sky Will Fall

#25 Post by silenteve »

It was Re:Alistair. I loved it! I never knew that they could be that good!
I was hoping to play Princess Nightmare, but the translation team fell apart and I had to do without...
My DeviantArt / Le Tumblr Development Blog
Current Projects:Forgotten and Remembered & Scarecrow
(Failed)NaNoReNo Project: Working on Hidden in Spring w/five lovely team members :D

applegirl
Veteran

#26 Post by applegirl »

Fate/Stay Night. It was amazing, I stayed up all night until I finished one path. Countless hours of ridiculous entertainment. It's been so many years since then, but it is still easily my favorite VN of all time.

tuna_sushi
Veteran
Projects: BloomingBlossoms

#27 Post by tuna_sushi »

Re:Alistair before knowing it was a VN.
started making VN (in microsoft powerpoint LOL) because of this.
Last edited by tuna_sushi on Fri Feb 24, 2012 1:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

Michiyo6918
Veteran
Projects: ╮(╯▽╰)╭

#28 Post by Michiyo6918 »

My first VN would be... Silver Chaos (*cough* imnotaperv... *cough*). At that time I didn't know what a visual novel was but I found it pretty interesting so I began to search for other English visual novel (BL genre *shot*).

My first Otome game would be Fantasia ROT (I have never interested in GxB before but when I played this and saw Oslwald [Is that how you spell his name? :_: too lazy to check it...] , I asked my self, "Is this love?"). Started making VN all thanks to this. (I even toss all of my have-to-translate novel project aside!!)
Tumblr | DA | Honest Critique
“如果那个人是神。
他想渎神。
——【黑匣子】”

Joshua1207
Regular
Projects: composed for: Sweetest Monster, AIdol, Syrup and the Ultimate Sweet
Organization: Mock Off
Soundcloud: Joshua1207

#29 Post by Joshua1207 »

First one I played was Snow Sakura. Not really that good of a game looking back at it, but has some funny moments.
https://soundcloud.com/joshua1207
My newest hits^

Contact me if you need a composer!

Katon
Regular
Completed: Death Rule:lost code (Art), Death Rule: Fear Complex (Art), Amity: One Tale (Art)
Projects: Death Rule: Killing System(Art) , Gene Codex: Genesis
Organization: MESI Games, Corpse Theater
Tumblr: corpsetheater

#30 Post by Katon »

My first Visual Novel game was ... Enzai; Falsely Accused. ( i know orz... )
I had a pretty had a good idea what it was about and been wanting to play it badly, even though I was still underage when I did.
But despite the theme of rape, i actually thought it was pretty good game. Played through all the routes and unlocked everything.
I just love the theme and atmosphere~ i really love Langmaor BL games. Enzai and Laughter Land are probably my favorite.