What was the first visual novel you played?

Forum organization and occasional community-building.
Forum rules
Questions about Ren'Py should go in the Ren'Py Questions and Announcements forum.
Mhyrria

Re: What was the first visual novel you played?

#136 Post by Mhyrria »

Three Sisters story. I don't know if it was considered a visual novel at that time, but it was called an adult game. I had too much downtime and stumble on site with hentai games. Three sisters story was on the top of the list with the most downloads. Never regretted playing it over and over until I finally got the "perfect" ending.

Kuroi_Usagi
Regular
Projects: AuL, I am Succubus, 74901
Organization: Self
Soundcloud: ragingwhiterabbit
itch: kuroi-usagi.itch.io

#137 Post by Kuroi_Usagi »

I think it was Little Busters. I watched the anime first, fell in love with it, then played the game because I wanted to experience more of it. I was not ready for that emotion train, I'll tell you what.
"I've always seen failure as a possibility, but never as an option."
Discord: Bunny of Wrath#3201
ImageImageImage

CrystalD
Tumblr: CrystalDennisMusic
Soundcloud: crystaldennismusic

#138 Post by CrystalD »

Took me a while to remember but my first VN was actually a CN - it was Simple as Snow and I was so confused as to why I wasn't able to do very much until I googled what a CN was and then downloaded something labeled as a VN XD After that I downloaded this really funny one called Soon, and have been hooked on making and playing VNs ever since! I'm a huge fan of the western ones, really don't care to play the JP ones, in all honesty.

nerupuff
Veteran

#139 Post by nerupuff »

Ah well, let me think. Would you separate the categories "visual novel" and "otome game"? Because I feel that mine are a mixture of both, so I'll go ahead.

First otome type visual novel: Be My Princess (a mobile app)
First ren'py otome game visual novel: Re:Alistair (it introduced me to a whole lot of VNs and even had me searching through LSF for the first time!)

And from then on and there I pretty much started exploring a whole lot of games here on LSF, quietly lurking.
ImageImage
Hire me for proofreading, editing, and (maybe) writing! ♡ Check here!

Harick
Veteran

#140 Post by Harick »

Oh yeh I forgot Re:Alistair! I'm fairly certain that's the first VN I ever played

rayminator
Miko-Class Veteran

#141 Post by rayminator »

the first visual novel I have ever played was true love and my second one was Amorous Professor Cherry and third one
was The Sagara Family

ZetaKen

#142 Post by ZetaKen »

First one I played I think was the Ace Attorney Series, 999, and then into Dangan Ronpa, if you count the latter as a VN and not an adventure game. I had some other friends trying to get me into Higurashi and Umineko, but at the time I was too busy with other things to give them an honest try. All of these games ended up making me a mystery freak of sorts ;p

chaironiichan
Projects: Do Not Love - Violators Will Be Shot
Organization: BSG

#143 Post by chaironiichan »

First for me would technically be the Ace Attorney series (do the Professor Layton games count as VNs?). I didn't really understand the concept of VNs at the time, though. I just thought it was a great game.

My journey to reading actual VNs consciously started with the ever classic Katawa Shoujo :) that was followed by Digital : A Love Story and Analogue : A Hate Story, and my first ever Japanese VN would have to be G-Senjou no Maou.
Do Not Love - Violators Will Be Shot
Click to play the DEMO!

Horma
Regular

#144 Post by Horma »

I hate to even say the name: Do You Like Horny Bunnies? I read a screenshot LP of it when I was a kid. Shudder.

The first one I played myself was some cute BxB game about two ghost hunters and ghost boy in a haunted hospital. Can't remember the name, but it was definitely a Ren'Py game.

Zelan
Lemma-Class Veteran
Completed: The Dark
Projects: Cosplay Couple
Tumblr: evns
itch: Zelan
Discord: ltnkitsuragi#7082

#145 Post by Zelan »

Horma wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2018 9:10 am I hate to even say the name: Do You Like Horny Bunnies? I read a screenshot LP of it when I was a kid. Shudder.

The first one I played myself was some cute BxB game about two ghost hunters and ghost boy in a haunted hospital. Can't remember the name, but it was definitely a Ren'Py game.
Sounds like Night at the Hospital to me, if you wanted to find it again. (The download link in the first post doesn't work but there's a working one posted on the fourth page of the thread.)

wyverngem
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Simple as Snow, Lady Luck's Due,
Projects: Aether Skies, Of the Waterfall
Tumblr: casting-dreams
itch: castingdreams

#146 Post by wyverngem »

I’ll bite. My first played VN was Princess Maker way back when it was on DOS.

Windreda
Completed: Arcadia
Projects: Missing Stars
Organization: Somnova Studios

#147 Post by Windreda »

TECHNICALLY my first visual novel would have been Phoenix Wright: Trials and Tribulations when I received a DS way back in middle school.

Because of how loose the genre is it's hard to really remember what was my first "true" visual novel, but I do remember Edelweiss having a strong first impression on me when I played through it. It was probably my first noteworthy VN with H+ Scenes.
“Forget black and white and try on gray. In hair color, wardrobe or life choices, it may feel more enlivening than you imagine.”
-Gina Greenlee

Please support Somnova Studio's current VN project Missing Stars!
http://missing-stars.net/

weiliang123

#148 Post by weiliang123 »

Ace Attorney was my first vn back in 2015, even before I knew the term 'visual novel' existed. It immediately struck a chord with me since I've always liked mysteries. Trials and Tribulations (the 3rd entry in the AA series) truly did it for me as it showed me the true definition of a story telling masterpiece.

And it's also safe to say that without this game, I would never had gotten interested in this medium. And without this interest, I would never had known that there would be so many other great storytelling masterpieces out there (Muv Luv Alternative, Ever17,Fate Stay Night,Zero Escape etc)

packetfriends
Projects: Packet Friends
Tumblr: michiyopan
Deviantart: michiyopan
itch: michiyo

#149 Post by packetfriends »

My first visual novel was Doki Doki Literature Club.The artwork and story were both really well put together, except I wasn't expecting it to go the way that it did.

Plk_Lesiak

#150 Post by Plk_Lesiak »

Analogue: A Hate Story back in 2014. It took me a while to really pick up on VNs after that, but it for always stayed in my mind and cemented my love for OELVNs when I got more involved with the medium. :)