What was the first visual novel you played?

Forum organization and occasional community-building.
Forum rules
Questions about Ren'Py should go in the Ren'Py Questions and Announcements forum.
mapletaffy
Regular

Re: What was the first visual novel you played?

#31 Post by mapletaffy »

The first visual novel I played is Amgine Park~ it was about 5 years ago and it made me interested in renpy games.~

Anna
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Binary Soul, Days of the Divine, Nanolife, Firefly
Projects: current: Path of Dreamers
Organization: Circle Pegasi

#32 Post by Anna »

Fate/Stay Night... uncensored. We were hardcore back in the day :'). Then again, you got a fair warning when to smash the ctrl-key, since every time you heard 'drip' haha.

facades
Regular

#33 Post by facades »

I think the first visual novel I played was one of these three ( I can't remember which one exactly xp ) : True Remembrance, Narcissu or RE: Alistair ++
But actually True remembrance and Narcissu are more like kinetic novels.. In that case, my first VN would be RE: Alistair ++ :)

dongaro

#34 Post by dongaro »

First Visual novel I ever played was Ever 17. Anything I could say to justify why it's still one of my favorites would be spoilerish.. still it ha a lot so twists.

Seconds was hourglass of Summer. Needless to say i was sad when Hirameki went under.

Only found out about visual novels being created in english after playing Katawa Shoujo and reading the blog. From there I found out about this forum and now I want to create my own story. Still first things first, have to write.

Gambit74
Regular

#35 Post by Gambit74 »

Can't remember if I played Phoenix Wright or Hotel Dusk first. But either way, after having finished those two I went and played Famicom Tantei Club for the SNES. And then I eventually discovered Tsukihime and a few other visual novels on the PC.
Nothing to see here, folks. For now, anyway...

Gavrilo

#36 Post by Gavrilo »

While not my first, 9 Hours, 9 Persons, 9 Doors was the one which made me "aware" of visual novels and had me looking for more. Sure, there was Phoenix Wright before, but at the time I thought it was more like a big puzzle game than a visual novel. Afterwards came Saya no Uta.

Nekobiker
Regular

#37 Post by Nekobiker »

Tsukihime was my first visual novel, and is still my favorite. Played Fate/Stay Night right afterwards. As amazing as it was, it didn't make the same impression on me because it was full of plot holes.

Tetiel
Regular
Projects: Anton's Vacation EP 1 and 2 + Rising Angels (CGs/Character Selection), Katajion Kinetic Monthly (character sprites)

#38 Post by Tetiel »

Probably 3 Sister's Story or something like that. My favorite from that generation was Divi Dead. I absolutely LOVED it.

misamane
Regular

#39 Post by misamane »

Mine was Fatal Hearts, and it's still one of my favourites. I remember playing loads of random game demo's somewhere YEARS ago (might of been Big Fish Games but I'm not sure.) And I came across Fatal Hearts and me and my friend played it and there was some glitch with it, it was meant to last half an hour but it just kept going so we stayed up for hours playing it because we knew if we closed it, it wouldn't work next time we opened it. But then I bought it so I could get all the endings anyway :)
Careful what you do, ‘cause God is watching your every move. Hold my hand in the dark street, for if you do I know that I’ll be safe. Even if I’m far away and alone, I can be sure that you’ll find me there, this I know. You draw me close for a while, so quiet. You tell me everything. If I forget what you say, then you’d come to me, and tell me again. Yes you’d tell me once again. But what happens when I know it all, then what should I do after that? What then?

Part of the huge LSF project: LemmaTV: Television that watches you!

Nightydreams
Regular
Projects: The Saddest Music In The World

#40 Post by Nightydreams »

My first ever Visual Novel was Katawa Shoujo: Act 1 demo, it was the ram and black powder that propelled me into visual novels. From there my love for this literary gold mine (and coal mine) only grew.
I believe that a man should not go back on his decisions,
But here I am deciding to break that one rule of manliness.
Because I would rather be thought less of as a man,
Then be lost as a person.

-Alexander. Infinity Ocean
Attachment and Love, is Attachment and Love, regardless of time, space or circumstance.
- Terro, The Saddest Music In The World

Lumella
Regular
Completed: Jose Rizal Visual Novel Game
Projects: Last Cycle's Vision
Organization: Unis

#41 Post by Lumella »

Hmmm, my first VN was probably Yo-Jin-Bo, but I've been playing dating simulation games before so that got me into Otome games.
ImageImageImageImage

Artist. Indie Game Designer. Graphic Designer. 3D Hobbyist.
My VN Project: Last Cycle's Vision / Status: Slowly Active

blueeyes1345
Regular
Projects: Short School Dating Sims Game
Organization: Emyth Zandra

#42 Post by blueeyes1345 »

The first VN i ever play and got me into VN would have to be the galaxy angel series. I love the characters from that series and the story that goes along with it.

ludeshka
Veteran
Completed: Hierofanía / Next Door Taker/Rhyme or Reason /Hierofanía 2
Projects: Hierofanía 3 (I swear it's the last one)
Tumblr: sillyraccoonknight
Deviantart: ludeshka
itch: ludeshka

#43 Post by ludeshka »

The first visual novel I ever played was...that completely wacky VN game that was the "character creation" mode of Rival Schools 2. And it was in japanese (which I still can't read at all). Me and my best friend started playing it for kicks, and soon discovered you could "date" the other students and then we were like "WOW!! EDGE IS SO AWESOME!!" and giggled stupidly while we tried to "guess the combinations" (I repeat: we couldn't read japanese.) Those were fun times.

...My first OELVN was Eidolon, I think. It's right here on this forum. I still think it's a really nice VN, and would recommend it to anybody who hasn't played it yet . http://www.renai.us/game/eidolon.shtml

My first "official" VN was Tsukihime. I had no idea it had h-content, so you can imagine I was quite startled. XDDDDD

ffs_jay
Regular
Completed: HellBounders - Act 0
Projects: HellBounders series

#44 Post by ffs_jay »

The first ones I played were a bunch of old DOS games, same as quite a few people here it seems. Seasons of the Sakura, Time Stripper Mako and Ring-Out being the ones that comes to mind. I recall Sakura being pretty decent, but the other two were massively underwhelming, and I doubt if time has been kind to either of them.

I was kinda 'blah' on the whole genre for a long time (apart from the occasional highlight like Divi Dead), but Phoenix Wright really blew me away, and showed me that some great writing and likeable characters can go a long way.

MizuuHime

#45 Post by MizuuHime »

My first visual novel is titled Camelia Girls. At first, I don't know what it is called about. And I don't think what did you do will change the ending.... So, I just don't really freak about it.

Few years after that, or I can say few months before now, I am pretty bored.... And then I comes accross sites and found that I might need to search for game. I ended up on renai.us, and then played some of them, that makes me addicted to the VNs, up until now.
My Deviantart: http://mizuuhime.deviantart.com/
I am looking for interesting VN projects to help for, PM me if you are interesting getting my help for sprites/CG art!