What was the first visual novel you played?

Forum organization and occasional community-building.
Forum rules
Questions about Ren'Py should go in the Ren'Py Questions and Announcements forum.
C7N
Regular

Re: What was the first visual novel you played?

#91 Post by C7N »

Well, I'm not sure... it was either Radical Dreamers or Love Hina Dating Sim, if that even counts as a VN? I thought it was a bit lacking in the plot department. xD I didn't get into Radical Dreamers, as far as I remember, although I love Chrono Trigger. The first time I played a VN and I knew it was a VN I'm pretty sure it was some Ren'Py game, but I don't remember which one it was. Maybe Katawa Shoujo demo?

FragmentedBergyo
Regular

#92 Post by FragmentedBergyo »

Chunsoft's Otogirisou.
It's probably the reason I'm so in love with NVL-type games and horror/mystery plots.
I've rediscovered the genre many years after when I stumpled on the Tsukihime manga, read through all of it in one go, notice that the story isn't even half-done, tried the anime, got burned, found out there was a game which was the source material.
I was never a stranger to reading so I took it upon me. Tsukihime may have been flawed, but it's still a giant acomplishment for Notes at that point.

Sabrinyan

#93 Post by Sabrinyan »

The first Visual Novel I played is Clannad, it's a fantastic VN, that's true, he is very lenghty but I not regret my choice, Tomoyo is the best character <3
The second is probably the Ace Attorney serie, this time, I played it in french.

Luminar
Regular

#94 Post by Luminar »

The first one is... Hmm... Ah! Frozen Essence, :P I really liked it, especally Cauis' route :3
'I would like to become the dark,
So that I may hide away and make everyone else shine.'

'You lose yourself trying to hold onto someone who doesn't care about losing you.'

I'm afraid that I'll be a book that no one reads,
Music that no one listens to anymore,
I'm afraid I'll be abandoned like a movie playing in an empty theater

Zephyr_Mal

#95 Post by Zephyr_Mal »

Katawa Shoujo was the first full length VN that I read. I consider it pretty well done.

Oiram744
Projects: None anytime soon

#96 Post by Oiram744 »

Binary Hearts (a remake of Dual Hearts, same author) by lordcloudx. Because of it, I loved VNs and have played many since. It is a short one, but really good. My first full length is Homeward by Samu-kun, and it impressed me a lot, too.
Don't hate those who make mistakes. Hate those who DENY that they did.

illuminate001
Veteran
Completed: DSGR, Let's MEAT Adam, Sexy Litter, Bara Boarders
Projects: Secret Project
Organization: Soulsoft Electronic Arts
Tumblr: soulsoftea
itch: soulsoftea

#97 Post by illuminate001 »

Arowana wrote:The first VN I ever played was actually a Lemmasoft game called Dream Savior Gakuen several years ago. I had never heard of VNs before and thought it was the coolest thing at the time. It really inspired me to try making my own VN. :D

I used to stalk the forums for the sequel, too, but sadly it seems that it was abandoned...
Hey Arowana, sorry about the necropost but I've only started getting back into the VN community as of late. I've been playing VN's like crazyyy again, and Im so glad as I hadn't realized how much I missed them. :oops: Anyways I'm happy my VN was your first and it inspired you to create so many good-looking titles of your own! I downloaded the demo for "The Pirate Mermaid". Can't wait to try it later.

Personally my 1st VN was "Drawn To You". (I STILL have it on my pc lol)

PS. Yeahhh unfortunately I abandoned and lost interest in DSG2, but Im working on something new. :D
ImageImage
ImageImage

Katy133
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Eight Sweets, The Heart of Tales, [redacted] Life, Must Love Jaws, A Tune at the End of the World, Three Guys That Paint, The Journey of Ignorance, Portal 2.5.
Projects: The Butler Detective
Tumblr: katy-133
Deviantart: Katy133
Soundcloud: Katy133
itch: katy133

#98 Post by Katy133 »

I think the first VN I played was Air Pressure.

Then I played a VN that was a fan game for BBC Sherlock, called The Pendant Soldiers. It was made using Visual Novelty, and helped me realise that I could make visual novels. :)
Last edited by Katy133 on Sun Jan 29, 2017 12:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ImageImage

My Website, which lists my visual novels.
Become a patron on my Patreon!

bluebirdplays
Regular
Projects: A Flamingo Tale, Eyas
Tumblr: bluebirdplays

#99 Post by bluebirdplays »

The first visual novel I played was Voices from the Sea, though I'd played some game jam games around the same time. I was pleasantly surprised at the game. Short, but sweet. It's probably one reason why my preference has been looking for short-length VNs to dive into.

Soramaro

#100 Post by Soramaro »

My first VN was Higurashi ... very good but I didn't finish it yet! .. it's so long to read. In the meantime I have read others shorter VNs.

mard
Regular

#101 Post by mard »

Hm. The first VN labeled a VN I ever played was School Days. Four years later and it's still sitting at 55% completion. Kindof lost interest in it, and can't seem to bring myself to finish it.

Theres been stuff I played years prior that looking back, I'd call it a VN, simply because that is the format they are in, but are things that will never truly have the label of Visual Novel.
Tend to be a bit quiet, but will help where I can.

Enjoy the drinks folks.

TheJerminator15
Regular
Completed: A Sedentary Fist
Projects: Manipulation, Switch Swap, Unnamed Project
itch: jamsandwich

#102 Post by TheJerminator15 »

Honestly? I can't remember. However I have a incredibly nagging feeling that it was either Katawa Shoujo or Fate/Stay Night.
My Current Writing Project: viewtopic.php?f=47&t=37699
Manipulation Teaser Demo: https://drive.google.com/open?id=0BzJ4E ... zV6TWVaclk

johhans
Completed: A Question Of Normalcy
Tumblr: johhans
Deviantart: johhans

#103 Post by johhans »

If I remember well my first VN was... Starry Sky~in Spring. So embarrassing... And it was so long ago that I don't remember a thing. Maybe besides the fact that I definitely finished Kanata's route. Because pisces. I mean.... Who wouldn't like to date their zodiac sign? ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Yunou
Regular

#104 Post by Yunou »

I'm surprised Togainu no Chi hasn't been mentioned at all in this thread.

I loved how dark and gritty it was and how it catered unapologetically to a very specific niche. I tried playing a few other Nitro+ games, but some of the content in their other games is a bit too much for me.

I fell in love with the format, though. I had been pretty into CYOA games prior to playing TnC, particularly text-based only and Youtube games. I really liked how much more VNs lent themselves to creative collaboration between other artists with music, images (sprites, CGs, backgrounds), GUI, videos, etc.

pyopyon
Veteran
Completed: https://chouette.itch.io/
Projects: Ocean Pearls, Catching the Fox [NaNo16], Singles
Organization: Jellyfish Parade
Tumblr: jelpiparade
Soundcloud: pyopyon
itch: chouette

#105 Post by pyopyon »

My first one was Hotel Dusk! I really loved that game....

My second was RE:Alistair, and I think playing it made me realize "Hey... I wonder if I could make something like this?" I actually plotted out my first VN when I was in high school, but unfortunately, I left the notebook with the plot plans in another state when I moved. )^: After that, I didn't really consider it again until XOXO Academy! >w<
Image ImageImage

WiP: Image

✿ Writer for Trade/Commission ✿