NDS game?

Forum organization and occasional community-building.
Forum rules
Questions about Ren'Py should go in the Ren'Py Questions and Announcements forum.
Mink
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: Say You Love Me (Short Version), C!P (NaNo12), Lady Misfortune, NatH, W/K, MtF, SMQ, TBM, TMHK, LoC, MMDG
Projects: Stuff
Organization: Metal Orphans

Re: NDS game?

#31 Post by Mink »

See, I don't travel like that, so something being region-locked for me is a non-issue.

If anything, I'd get a region-free DVD player, because there are movies made in like, the UK that I want watch, but can't because it wasn't released in the U.S.

Edit: on that note, if you ever get a PSP, get Dead Head Fred, another seriously underrated game.
"I will send a fully armed battalion to remind you of my love."

***Say You Love Me***Human Enough***Cheerful!Polymorph [NaNo12][Complete!]***
"Couldn't you stop this?"
"Probably, but I don't want to."

*Website, yo*

LVUER
King of Lolies
Completed: R.S.P

#32 Post by LVUER »

Things to take note, NDS have several variation:
- NDS (the original brick-like one, don't buy it really...)
- NDS Lite (I have this one, pretty good)
- NDSi (NDS with camera and internet-surfing capability)
- NDSi XL (veeeeeery big, even bigger than the original brick model)

Please note that only the original NDS and NDS Lite that have slot for GBA cartridge. That means NDSi and NDSi XL CAN NOT play any GBA games... perhaps you can if you have flash cartridge, but I never tried it so I can't really say anything.

Oh, and NDS Lite have the longest battery life (up to 19 hours in lowest setting)
JustAnotherMe wrote:@_@ woooooowwwww... so many games... I'll just buy all of those
Well, NDS is famous to have a huge library of games. Games are cheaper to develop in NDS so lots of developer make games for it. But if you're a hard core gamer (prefer "real" game, not a casual one), you'd better off with PSP. I wish I can read Japanese since they have TONS of untranslated great games, like VN games.
JustAnotherMe wrote:One question regarding PSVita: Is the PSP games can be played in PS Vita?
PS Vita could play both PSP and PSX games... but only those that downloaded from PS Suite (or PS online store). Meaning you can't just copy data from PSP UMD and play it just like that. Unlike true compability of NDS playing GBA games.
JustAnotherMe wrote:And: what should I buy? N3DS or NDSLite?
That depends... I want to buy PSP even after PS Vita launched. I'm aiming for the price drop. But that's me... I'm not interested in PS Vita (yet), that's why...

It's worth to note that N3DS could play all NDS games. But N3DS is ... well, expensive. If you want to buy N3DS, I strongly recommend you to wait for Nintendo to release the lite version of N3DS.

And if you want to buy PS Vita, again, you'd better wait since the right now it have too many flaws. Like N3DS, the battery life only up to 3-5 hours. Worse, the battery isn't removable. You're stuck with that one battery. And PS Vita will use cartridge instead of disc, wonder how much it'll cost?
JustAnotherMe wrote:To use the patch in NDS, should I use a software or something? or should I just ask someone to do that?
To use patch in NDS, you need flash cartridge. You could buy it from retail game store. There are plenty brands so choose one that updates their firmware regularly. Flash cartridge enables you to copy your game to Micro SD card (and to/from PC). To use patch, you need the game ROM, not the real cartridge... You could download all the needed software from internet.
"Double the princesses, quadruple the fun!" - Haken Browning (SRW-OG Endless Frontier)

DeviantArt Account
MoeToMecha Blog (under construction)
Lolicondria Blog (under construction) <- NSFW

JustAnotherMe
Veteran
Projects: Kuro no Chou; 0.3 Second Lunch

#33 Post by JustAnotherMe »

@Mink: Yeah, if I'm you then the region lock will be no hindrance XD (though I like to travel a lot, but... well... unable...)
Dead Head Fred?? Wha- what's with the brain-head?! I have an idea on making it!!!! GRARRR!!! Someone stole my idea!!!!

@LVUER: t-thanks for the wonderful info!! QvQ
uhmm~ but isn't NDSi have games that only DSi console can use? Or- not?

the size difference is just too great~ Q^Q NDSiXL... But the price... how can you be so expensive? I checked on it and it's about... $75 difference!! Hukz... TAT

Oh, WOW!! The PSVita can only play the one bought from PS Suite??????? Tha- whaaaaatttt???!!
You are bigger than what you think but smaller than you can imagine.
0.3 second lunch

Mink
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: Say You Love Me (Short Version), C!P (NaNo12), Lady Misfortune, NatH, W/K, MtF, SMQ, TBM, TMHK, LoC, MMDG

#34 Post by Mink »

Yeah, the Vita is download only, which is "No Just No" to me. If I can get a physical copy of a game, I do. If I can't, then I download it (like PS1 Classics, Corpse Party, Cladun). UMDs can always be bought used or on sale; that's not really true for download only games. 8|

Though, I noticed in sites where people are talking about the Vita, it seems like people with a PSP plan on just keeping it. If I wanted a Vita, I'd do that too.

*Website, yo*

LVUER
King of Lolies

#35 Post by LVUER »

NDSi (and NDSi XL) could only play NDS games. While two previous models could play both NDS and GBA games (they have two slots for inserting cartridge). I never hear NDSi only games though...

NDSi is expensive because it's far more advanced than its previous models. Outside, it's pretty similar... but inside... NDSi have faster CPU and bigger RAM. It also have internal storage and expandable by SD Card. It also have two cameras (one facing the user, the other facing outward). It have upgradeable firmware, have bunch of pre-installed software in it, and it have NDSi exlusive software (not game), like NDS browser and NDS sound.

NDSi XL is even bigger (no wonder it's expensive), have bigger speaker enclosure (hence louder sound), bigger screen with wider viewing angle. Though other than that, it's more or less similar with NDSi.

NDSi have smaller battery life simply because it have weaker battery (840mah compared with NDS Lite 1000mah battery, NDSi XL on the other hand uses 1050mah battery but because everything is bigger and faster, it consumes more power).
Mink wrote:Yeah, the Vita is download only, which is "No Just No" to me. If I can get a physical copy of a game, I do. If I can't, then I download it (like PS1 Classics, Corpse Party, Cladun). UMDs can always be bought used or on sale; that's not really true for download only games. 8|

Though, I noticed in sites where people are talking about the Vita, it seems like people with a PSP plan on just keeping it. If I wanted a Vita, I'd do that too.
No, Vita also have slots for cartridge. But I think Sony prefer the user to use download service for games. But to play PSP or PSX games, you must download it... unless some company decided to release them in cartridge format (which I doubt it will happen). PS Vita doesn't have UMD slot.
"Double the princesses, quadruple the fun!" - Haken Browning (SRW-OG Endless Frontier)

DeviantArt Account

Mink
Eileen-Class Veteran

#36 Post by Mink »

I stand corrected. Either way, I still can't play the UMDs I do have, and I don't feel like buying games I already bought again. :/

*Website, yo*

JustAnotherMe
Veteran

#37 Post by JustAnotherMe »

I think I'll just grab an NDSi... not the XL one then... I prefer to have better hardware, and RAM and so on. (And that's just because the price isn't that far more expensive than the NDSLite. Different with the XL which good in only the bigger screen)
I believe the GBA games can still be played with flash cartridge, so well... butttt... the battery life span~ uggghh-
0.3 second lunch

LVUER
King of Lolies

#38 Post by LVUER »

@Mink:
Same here. I have more than 100 PSX games and I don't have slightest intention buying them again just to play it on PS Vita.

@JustAnotherMe:
Remember that faster CPU and bigger RAM won't be used to play games (it could lead to better loading times, but I don't know...), it's more likely used to browse internet, downloading content, and running the software.

NDSi XL was built with family in mind. It's supposed to sit on living room for every one to play.

For battery, if you really want longer battery life, you could always buy third party battery with far more juice.

DeviantArt Account

JustAnotherMe
Veteran

#39 Post by JustAnotherMe »

LVUER wrote: @JustAnotherMe:
Remember that faster CPU and bigger RAM won't be used to play games (it could lead to better loading times, but I don't know...), it's more likely used to browse internet, downloading content, and running the software.
Neeeee~?? It won't take effect on playing games??? Then... I'll just grab an NDSLite then... Can't waste money...
0.3 second lunch

Junker-Kun
Regular
Completed: Manga Club
Organization: Mr's Hedgehogs team

#40 Post by Junker-Kun »

Well, I have NDSL and quite satisfied with this (though I couldn't allow myself to buy too much games since they're expensive here so I bought a flash card. Shame on me. But god damn, I can buy second NDS instead of three games!). As for games I believe it was said before me and you even made a list =)
Same here. I have more than 100 PSX games and I don't have slightest intention buying them again just to play it on PS Vita.
I so believe there was a way to play them on PSP without buying them again. Well, at least before PSN had it's PSX games.
"Don’t be sad. Even if the world won’t forgive you, I’ll forgive you.
Don’t be sad. Even if you won’t forgive the world, I’ll forgive you.
So please tell me. How do I make you forgive me?"

Frederica Bernkastel