Jobs

Forum organization and occasional community-building.
Forum rules
Questions about Ren'Py should go in the Ren'Py Questions and Announcements forum.
Message
Author
User avatar
Gear
Miko-Class Veteran
Posts: 764
Joined: Tue Apr 05, 2011 10:15 pm
Projects: Tempestus Sum
Organization: Xenokos Interactive
IRC Nick: Gear
Skype: Skye.Gear
Location: Grand Prairie, TX
Contact:

Re: Jobs

#46 Post by Gear » Tue Jan 17, 2012 11:32 am

I'm a phlebotomist who works one weekend a month as a Combat Medic.
The best reason to get up in the morning is to outdo yourself: to do it better than you've ever done it before. But if you haven't done it better by nightfall... look at your globe and pick a spot: it's always morning somewhere.

User avatar
cloudyssky
Veteran
Posts: 258
Joined: Mon May 17, 2010 2:09 pm
Completed: Alone
Projects: Many failed ones
Location: Massachusetts
Contact:

Re: Jobs

#47 Post by cloudyssky » Tue Jan 17, 2012 1:42 pm

akizakura wrote:I teach high school Japanese. I tip my hat to a lot of the schedules you guys keep and still work on VNs, it's amazing!
I've always wanted to become a foreign language teacher. It's something I've concidered doing. Do you like it?

For my job I stock and block shelves at a grocery store. Horay for minimum wage!
Projects:
Alone- (Horror/Sci-Fi) Complete! Link
Demokratiya- (Adventure/Action) I'm kind of winging it with this one. Goal is 100,000 words. Yeah, it's gonna take a while.
{Last worked on Sept/28 : Word count (coding and all) ~4500}

ririruetoo
Miko-Class Veteran
Posts: 525
Joined: Thu Apr 14, 2011 7:51 pm
Completed: May-chan, The Country with no People, Him&Me
Location: Oregon
Contact:

Re: Jobs

#48 Post by ririruetoo » Tue Jan 17, 2012 5:09 pm

I think its funny how people from all walks of life enjoy visual novels.....
ImageImageImage

Chushiki Maho
Regular
Posts: 174
Joined: Wed Jan 04, 2012 3:28 pm
Projects: X-Tasy, Teacher Pets, Virus
Organization: Infinite Scribbles Productions
Location: Check Your Closet.
Contact:

Re: Jobs

#49 Post by Chushiki Maho » Tue Jan 17, 2012 5:12 pm

ririruetoo wrote:I think its funny how people from all walks of life enjoy visual novels.....
I second that.
X-Tasy - GXB (WIP)
~ My Fanfiction
Virus [NaNoRenO 2012]
French to English (or vice-versa) VN translator ~ PM me if interested :3

User avatar
Nellie
Veteran
Posts: 305
Joined: Wed Oct 28, 2009 8:40 pm
Completed: Love Like No Other; a2 ~a due~
Projects: The Pirate Mermaid; Gamelicious!; Spiral Destiny
Organization: Navigame
Contact:

Re: Jobs

#50 Post by Nellie » Thu Jan 19, 2012 6:56 am

Chushiki Maho wrote:
ririruetoo wrote:I think its funny how people from all walks of life enjoy visual novels.....
I second that.
Same here lol!

Was a model/actress/extra/promotional girl/student/elder sister... But now I'm finally a doctor! Well, awaiting provisional license still but YAY! Which means, I don't need to be studying and working at the same time... Which translates into time for making VN. Maybe

Rin wrote:Still attending College >_> It eats up most of my time, which I just have barely enough for temp work/part-time.
Currently I do anime voice-acting once in a while, promotional modeling or commercial cosplaying. I did MC's job once or twice but I think I failed T^T Though I tried but still, I'm not good speaking in front of sooo many people. I gave up *x*
Actually I wanna become book author but I don't have much family support for that
How do you get into commercial cosplaying? Any tips/requirements/whatever? XD *pretty please?* lol
Image

User avatar
Lumella
Regular
Posts: 185
Joined: Wed Apr 06, 2011 10:41 am
Completed: Jose Rizal Visual Novel Game
Projects: Last Cycle's Vision
Organization: Unis
Contact:

Re: Jobs

#51 Post by Lumella » Mon Feb 20, 2012 12:59 am

I'm currently a college student, but I'm also a freelance Multimedia Artist, 3D Artist, Illustrator & Graphic Designer.
I have other unpaid sidelines which I do for the heck of it like being an events manager & a model, but I don't think those really count.

It's amazing how we all ended up in this place to enjoy EVNs c:
ImageImageImageImage

Artist. Indie Game Designer. Graphic Designer. 3D Hobbyist.
My VN Project: Last Cycle's Vision / Status: Slowly Active

User avatar
Greeny
Miko-Class Veteran
Posts: 921
Joined: Sun Dec 20, 2009 10:15 am
Completed: The Loop, The Madness
Projects: In Orbit, TBA
Organization: Gliese Productions
Location: Cantankerous Castle
Contact:

Re: Jobs

#52 Post by Greeny » Mon Feb 20, 2012 1:33 am

Right now I am a NEET. TT_TT
In Orbit [WIP] | Gliese is now doing weekly erratic VN reviews! The latest: Halloween Otome!
Gliese Productions | Facebook | Twitter
Image

User avatar
silenteve
Veteran
Posts: 210
Joined: Thu Jan 26, 2012 9:25 pm
Projects: Forgotten and Remembered, Scarecrow, I Will Be Waiting, Hidden in Spring, Juliette, L.O.S.E.R, The Sky Will Fall
Contact:

Re: Jobs

#53 Post by silenteve » Mon Feb 20, 2012 3:30 am

Greeny wrote:Right now I am a NEET. TT_TT
THIS.
And I'm in school. And it sucks really bad. Planning on becoming an author but nobody really believes I can do it -_- And I don't really think I need a degree to write fiction. So, I guess I'm stuck on what to do with my life so far...

Is it possible to work for Square Enix? LOL I want them to make a Final Fantasy based on my concepts...
My DeviantArt / Le Tumblr Development Blog
Current Projects:Forgotten and Remembered & Scarecrow
(Failed)NaNoReNo Project: Working on Hidden in Spring w/five lovely team members :D

User avatar
Auro-Cyanide
ssǝʇunoƆ ʇɹ∀
Posts: 3059
Joined: Sun Jul 25, 2010 9:02 am
Completed: http://auro-cyanide.tumblr.com/visualnovels
Projects: Athena
Organization: Cyanide Tea
Tumblr: auro-cyanide
Deviantart: Auro-Cyanide
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Contact:

Re: Jobs

#54 Post by Auro-Cyanide » Mon Feb 20, 2012 4:38 am

silenteve wrote:
Greeny wrote:Right now I am a NEET. TT_TT
THIS.
And I'm in school. And it sucks really bad. Planning on becoming an author but nobody really believes I can do it -_- And I don't really think I need a degree to write fiction. So, I guess I'm stuck on what to do with my life so far...

Is it possible to work for Square Enix? LOL I want them to make a Final Fantasy based on my concepts...
Ah, if you are in school, that would make you a NET or something. NEET stands for Not in Employment, Education or Training.

User avatar
Anna
Miko-Class Veteran
Posts: 708
Joined: Sat Dec 25, 2010 10:30 am
Completed: Binary Soul, Days of the Divine, Nanolife, Firefly
Projects: current: Path of Dreamers
Organization: Circle Pegasi
Location: The Netherlands
Contact:

Re: Jobs

#55 Post by Anna » Mon Feb 20, 2012 4:51 am

silenteve wrote: THIS.
And I'm in school. And it sucks really bad. Planning on becoming an author but nobody really believes I can do it -_- And I don't really think I need a degree to write fiction. So, I guess I'm stuck on what to do with my life so far...

Is it possible to work for Square Enix? LOL I want them to make a Final Fantasy based on my concepts...
Square Enix has enough ideas of its own I bet, there are usually FAR too many ideas. What they want are people who can work on the production of the games aside from writing.

If you want to become an author, you're better off writing books than pitching ideas to the game industry :(...

As for me, I'm a university student. Sometimes I do art commissions and sometimes I do research for companies, schools etc. next to my study. Next year will be a busy year full of work like that.

User avatar
misamane
Regular
Posts: 47
Joined: Fri Feb 03, 2012 9:40 am
Location: United Kingdom
Contact:

Re: Jobs

#56 Post by misamane » Tue Feb 21, 2012 1:10 am

I'm a part time college student and part time well.... slacker. :c
Totally need to get a job but it's so hard at the moment. Almost no where is hiring, and if they are they want someone with experience or other aspects that I do NOT have. So yeah kinda sucks.
Careful what you do, ‘cause God is watching your every move. Hold my hand in the dark street, for if you do I know that I’ll be safe. Even if I’m far away and alone, I can be sure that you’ll find me there, this I know. You draw me close for a while, so quiet. You tell me everything. If I forget what you say, then you’d come to me, and tell me again. Yes you’d tell me once again. But what happens when I know it all, then what should I do after that? What then?

Part of the huge LSF project: LemmaTV: Television that watches you!

User avatar
silenteve
Veteran
Posts: 210
Joined: Thu Jan 26, 2012 9:25 pm
Projects: Forgotten and Remembered, Scarecrow, I Will Be Waiting, Hidden in Spring, Juliette, L.O.S.E.R, The Sky Will Fall
Contact:

Re: Jobs

#57 Post by silenteve » Tue Feb 21, 2012 2:02 am

Anna wrote:
silenteve wrote: THIS.
And I'm in school. And it sucks really bad. Planning on becoming an author but nobody really believes I can do it -_- And I don't really think I need a degree to write fiction. So, I guess I'm stuck on what to do with my life so far...

Is it possible to work for Square Enix? LOL I want them to make a Final Fantasy based on my concepts...
Square Enix has enough ideas of its own I bet, there are usually FAR too many ideas. What they want are people who can work on the production of the games aside from writing.

If you want to become an author, you're better off writing books than pitching ideas to the game industry :(...

As for me, I'm a university student. Sometimes I do art commissions and sometimes I do research for companies, schools etc. next to my study. Next year will be a busy year full of work like that.
Yeah, I guess you're right.
Writing books are fun and all but I can't see myself taking upon one certain occupation for the rest of my life -_- I get restless and bored, even with things I love to do. So the video game idea was probably a side thing. I can't dedicate myself completely to a certain project for very long, I'm more of an extreme hobbyist, leaping back and forth from different things. It takes a lot of energy for me to focus on something but then after that, I'm burnt out and I can't stand to look at the project for awhile...and if I do look at it, I end up writing or drawing something I hate. I mean, it took me three years to return to drawing again...
I think I'm in serious trouble with my career options...

I think I have a problem...
My DeviantArt / Le Tumblr Development Blog
Current Projects:Forgotten and Remembered & Scarecrow
(Failed)NaNoReNo Project: Working on Hidden in Spring w/five lovely team members :D

User avatar
Anna
Miko-Class Veteran
Posts: 708
Joined: Sat Dec 25, 2010 10:30 am
Completed: Binary Soul, Days of the Divine, Nanolife, Firefly
Projects: current: Path of Dreamers
Organization: Circle Pegasi
Location: The Netherlands
Contact:

Re: Jobs

#58 Post by Anna » Tue Feb 21, 2012 5:18 am

silenteve wrote: Yeah, I guess you're right.
Writing books are fun and all but I can't see myself taking upon one certain occupation for the rest of my life -_- I get restless and bored, even with things I love to do. So the video game idea was probably a side thing. I can't dedicate myself completely to a certain project for very long, I'm more of an extreme hobbyist, leaping back and forth from different things. It takes a lot of energy for me to focus on something but then after that, I'm burnt out and I can't stand to look at the project for awhile...and if I do look at it, I end up writing or drawing something I hate. I mean, it took me three years to return to drawing again...
I think I'm in serious trouble with my career options...

I think I have a problem...
Are you still in high school? If so, try to find what kind of subjects really interest you. You can also join college/university students for a day to see what their study is like.

Also, think about why you get burnt out if you do art or write; is it because you do it for too long without stopping? Or because you're so busy and stressed out in life that it just becomes another thing to deal with? Or perhaps even because you constantly compare your work with others' and feel inferior or stress about what people will think when they see it.

Whatever the reason, it's good to start looking at it and work from there.

User avatar
Nightydreams
Regular
Posts: 91
Joined: Tue Jan 10, 2012 5:01 am
Projects: The Saddest Music In The World
Contact:

Re: Jobs

#59 Post by Nightydreams » Tue Feb 21, 2012 7:20 am

I'm a university student who also works as an editor for a colleague of mine as an editor.

It is heartening to see so many people from all walks of life enjoying Visual Novels. Surely there is not enough love for literature these days.
I believe that a man should not go back on his decisions,
But here I am deciding to break that one rule of manliness.
Because I would rather be thought less of as a man,
Then be lost as a person.

-Alexander. Infinity Ocean
Attachment and Love, is Attachment and Love, regardless of time, space or circumstance.
- Terro, The Saddest Music In The World

User avatar
Keilis
Regular
Posts: 75
Joined: Sat Nov 26, 2011 3:57 pm
Location: Canada
Contact:

Re: Jobs

#60 Post by Keilis » Sat Mar 03, 2012 4:14 am

University student currently looking for an accounting co-op placement. :c Too bad that has absolutely nothing to do with writing/art, which is what I'm interested in. Thinking of participating in the JET program when I graduate.

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users