Jobs

Forum organization and occasional community-building.
Forum rules
Questions about Ren'Py should go in the Ren'Py Questions and Announcements forum.
Reikun
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Mnemonic Devices, Ciikos Bridge, Helena's Flowers, The Madness
Projects: Fox in the Hollyhocks
Organization: skyharborr
itch: skyharborr

Re: Jobs

#31 Post by Reikun »

nix
Last edited by Reikun on Fri Nov 16, 2012 4:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
ImageImageImage

fastest way to contact me: DM @skyharborr on twitter

HigurashiKira
Miko-Class Veteran

#32 Post by HigurashiKira »

PyTom wrote:Most of my paying work comes from the Intelligent Transportation Systems industry. I design software that takes the various signs and devices at the side of the road, and hooks them up to each other so the whole road system is smarter.
So you're one of the people keeping LA from becoming a traffic hell hole.

I work part-time at a local flower shop as a cashier, though I do flower arranges sometimes. I'm also a student.
I have moved to a new account. Please contact me here from now on. T/Y~

KomiTsuku
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: Dreams of the Skies, Anton's Vacation, Luka, The Halberd and The Tiger, Rising Angels, Pyrite Heart, Rising Angels: Reborn, The Halberd and The Fox, VN Tycoon, RA: Hope
Projects: Rising Angels
Organization: IDHAS Studios
IRC Nick: Komi
itch: idhas

#33 Post by KomiTsuku »

Sunlit-Dreamer wrote:o.o

Looking at some of the jobs you guys have make me feel so small and insignificant...*college student* Also makes me wonder how some of you manage to find the time for Renpy and such. Since it seems that some of you have a heavy schedule as it is without. (I know nothing of the majority of your jobs so I will not assume what you guys actually do)
1. By heavily managing both my awake and sleep schedules.
2. Delaying game releases. Sometimes there is literally not enough time.
3. Drinking enough caffeine to the point where Bawls soda doesn't do anything for me.
4. Hard work and regular exercise. Gotta stay healthy.
5. Remembering that I'm doing this for the fans. Sure, there might not be too many of them, but what sort of jerk would I be to let those few folks down?

J. Datie
Veteran

#34 Post by J. Datie »

Well, first I worked as a programmer for a company that made accounting textbooks, but then they decided they only needed one person to make online courses and build and maintain their website and to field support calls. After that I did freelance programming for a Flash game, and then after that I stopped having work.

Auro-Cyanide
ssǝʇunoƆ ʇɹ∀
Completed: http://auro-cyanide.tumblr.com/visualnovels
Projects: Athena
Organization: Cyanide Tea
Tumblr: auro-cyanide
Deviantart: Auro-Cyanide

#35 Post by Auro-Cyanide »

Sunlit-Dreamer wrote:o.o

Looking at some of the jobs you guys have make me feel so small and insignificant...*college student* Also makes me wonder how some of you manage to find the time for Renpy and such. Since it seems that some of you have a heavy schedule as it is without. (I know nothing of the majority of your jobs so I will not assume what you guys actually do)
Bwhahahaha, wait until you students get there. Nah, it's not that bad. Technically I have more free time than when I was in my final year of university (I work full time, 8.5 hours a day plus just over 2 hours worth of commuting 5 days a week.). But then real life dumps other stuff on you like travel, and chores, and things to buy and do and people wanting to spend time with you for god knows what reason and so your frame of time can shrink a bit. You just... do things when you can I guess.

ludeshka
Veteran
Completed: Hierofanía / Next Door Taker/Rhyme or Reason /Hierofanía 2
Projects: Hierofanía 3 (I swear it's the last one)
Tumblr: sillyraccoonknight
Deviantart: ludeshka
itch: ludeshka

#36 Post by ludeshka »

I work part time at a...grocery? (I don't know the correct english term for this establishment. It sells food, candy, cigarettes....but you don't eat them there, it's things you take home...I'm really terrible at my english today)
I also work as a freelance artist, like so http://h8la.tv/store/the-long-knives-be ... hic-novel/

I really hope to be able to write as well as draw my own stories. ^^

...and I REALLY hope to be able to finish Hierofanía already. Sheesh. >_<

Kura
Regular
Completed: Chasing the Sun
Projects: RESET

#37 Post by Kura »

Fawn wrote:College is a job in itself, though, especially when you're in a science-related field... Yay, Chemistry... (not)
Chemistry? High five! "Yay chemistry" is the truth. :D

In addition to being a student, I get paid to make silly waffles that are sometimes shaped like Cthulhu or a kraken, and would happily do this for the rest of my life if it weren't a work-study job.
Devblog :: Kura's VN Projects and Resources
Complete Chasing the Sun [a meditation on light] :: In Progress RESET [guilt, love, existentialism, and video games]

Fawn
Moe Imouto

#38 Post by Fawn »

@Kura, Naw, chemistry is just a class I have to take for my major (nursing/medical stuff) ^^; I'm really not interested in it as my career, hence the "(not)" after.

Those sound like very interesting pancakes indeed. :D

netravelr
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Culina: Hands in the Kitchen, Culina: The Spirit of Cooking, Saving Zoey
Projects: Love at the Laundromat
Organization: Lakeview Interactive
Deviantart: netravelr

#39 Post by netravelr »

Currently working for my school in the Academic Support Center while I finish up the last 2 classes I need to graduate, then after that I'll probably be working somewhere in the game industry as a level designer/scripter so I guess you can say that games are my life. :-P
Technical Designer/Programmer
Game Design Portfolio - Project updates on my Twitter
Experienced in: C/C++/C#, Python, Unreal, Unity, and Flash

SusanTheCat
Miko-Class Veteran

#40 Post by SusanTheCat »

I can't remember my official title. Currently I am Acting Planning Manager for Customer Care. I program web application for internal use in a call center, program the phone system, and create reports.

I'm also a Mom to a 16 yo.

Susan
" It's not at all important to get it right the first time. It's vitally important to get it right the last time. "
— Andrew Hunt and David Thomas

akizakura
Regular
Completed: Adversity Comp 2012
Projects: Everything's Going My Way
Organization: Mitayume

#41 Post by akizakura »

I teach high school Japanese. I tip my hat to a lot of the schedules you guys keep and still work on VNs, it's amazing!

Chushiki Maho
Regular
Projects: X-Tasy, Teacher Pets, Virus
Organization: Infinite Scribbles Productions

#42 Post by Chushiki Maho »

Junior high girl here... ^.^ Anyways, it amazing with you guys...! How do you sleep with college and VNs...? I have a hard enough time sleeping as is. XD
Not really a part time job for me.... I mainly just babysit.
X-Tasy - GXB (WIP)
~ My Fanfiction
Virus [NaNoRenO 2012]
French to English (or vice-versa) VN translator ~ PM me if interested :3

ysionris

#43 Post by ysionris »

I majored in hospitality and tourism management, and have worked as a guest services representative (front desk agent, cashier, reservationist, concierge, and tech support all-in-one) and a pastry cook in the past. At the moment, I'm working for the county government in a one-year stint (due to certain unavoidable commitments) as a translator and errand-runner. ^_^;

Stripe
Regular
Projects: secret!

#44 Post by Stripe »

I don't have a job. I also don't have any kind of income, because I'm too ill for work yet not ill enough for benefits. FUN /o/

GeneDNC
Veteran
Completed: Freezing v1.0

#45 Post by GeneDNC »

Auro-Cyanide wrote:Bwhahahaha, wait until you students get there. Nah, it's not that bad. Technically I have more free time than when I was in my final year of university (I work full time, 8.5 hours a day plus just over 2 hours worth of commuting 5 days a week.). But then real life dumps other stuff on you like travel, and chores, and things to buy and do and people wanting to spend time with you for god knows what reason and so your frame of time can shrink a bit. You just... do things when you can I guess.
This. So much. I think even in my final year of study I had more time than I do now. For the first while -can be a week or a month- after starting work you feel like you're going to die by the time you get home. Then you get used to that and realise you have all this "free time" where you used to do homework. Then you realise all the other things that crop up to fill that time, like Auro mentioned.

Anyway. During high school and studying I worked in a bookshop. Now I work in a field (accounting) completely different from what I started out with (science) and as of this year am studying part time again.