How ado you play visual novels?

Forum organization and occasional community-building.
Forum rules
Questions about Ren'Py should go in the Ren'Py Questions and Announcements forum.
Arivien
Regular

How ado you play visual novels?

#1 Post by Arivien »

At this point, I'm not talking about the ones here (though they're usually awesome).

I'm talking about commercial level VNs, which usually take more than a day to complete.
I have a bunch of them piled up, and I'm wondering how to go about completing them.

One of them is the behemoth Clannad, others are Fate/Stay Night, Yume Miru Kusuri, and Kanon.

I was wondering whether it would be best to clear all paths in one first, do a path a day, or jump between them.
I want to get the most emotional enjoyment out of them, so yeah.

HigurashiKira
Miko-Class Veteran

Re: How ado you play visual novels?

#2 Post by HigurashiKira »

Focus on one game and one game only. Don't go jumping around otherwise you'll just get confused. I'd say to start with the longer ones (Clannad,F/SN) so that the shorter ones won't feel like a chore.
I have moved to a new account. Please contact me here from now on. T/Y~

redeyesblackpanda
Eileen-Class Veteran
Projects: Eternal Memories, plot bunnies that won't die.
Organization: HellPanda Studios

Re: How ado you play visual novels?

#3 Post by redeyesblackpanda »

I like to do my VNs one at a time. If there's voice, I let it all play out before I move to the next block of text but if there isn't, I'm normally able to read it pretty quickly. If you're really looking for enjoyment and aren't too worried about finishing them quickly, I would let the text stay on screen longer for certain points in order to hear the music play out, then change when you feel like it makes sense to do so music wise. I've often regretted flipping through too much and cutting off a nice piece halfway through.
(All projects currently on a hiatus of sorts. I blame life.)
Tsundere VN
Not really checking the forums any more due to time constraints, so if you want to contact me, PM. I'll get a notification and log in. :mrgreen:
Also, I've been hit and run posting, which means I don't see many replies. If you want to respond to something I've said, also feel free to PM me.

NOTE: if you've got questions about vnovel or things like that, it's Leon that you should be contacting. Leon's been pretty much handling everything, but due to various reasons, I've had to withdraw entirely.