Question: Do I need a TV tuner to do these things?

Forum organization and occasional community-building.
Forum rules
Questions about Ren'Py should go in the Ren'Py Questions and Announcements forum.
LVUER
King of Lolies
Completed: R.S.P

Question: Do I need a TV tuner to do these things?

#1 Post by LVUER »

Let's say I have a laptop (with DVI port, the usual port you use to connect with other monitor/projector) and a TV (with video and L/R speaker port, the usual red yellow white port that you see in most TV/DVD player). Is it possible for me to:
1. Display what my player (be it PS2, PS3, XBOX360, or even just a normal DVD player) on my laptop monitor without a TV tuner?
2. To capture/record a TV shows that shown on my TV without a TV tuner?

My best bet is that if I have TV tuner, I could do both easily. So the question is like: do I absolutely have to buy a TV tuner? Since buying a TV tuner means I don't really need a TV in the first place (which I already have).
"Double the princesses, quadruple the fun!" - Haken Browning (SRW-OG Endless Frontier)

DeviantArt Account
MoeToMecha Blog (under construction)
Lolicondria Blog (under construction) <- NSFW

LateWhiteRabbit
Eileen-Class Veteran
Projects: The Space Between

Re: Question: Do I need a TV tuner to do these things?

#2 Post by LateWhiteRabbit »

LVUER wrote:Let's say I have a laptop (with DVI port, the usual port you use to connect with other monitor/projector) and a TV (with video and L/R speaker port, the usual red yellow white port that you see in most TV/DVD player). Is it possible for me to:
1. Display what my player (be it PS2, PS3, XBOX360, or even just a normal DVD player) on my laptop monitor without a TV tuner?
2. To capture/record a TV shows that shown on my TV without a TV tuner?

My best bet is that if I have TV tuner, I could do both easily. So the question is like: do I absolutely have to buy a TV tuner? Since buying a TV tuner means I don't really need a TV in the first place (which I already have).
1. You do NOT need a TV tuner to connect your PS2, PS3, 360, etc. to your laptop monitor.
2. You DO need a TV tuner to watch broadcast television on your laptop monitor. (I.e. watch it live.)

LVUER
King of Lolies

#3 Post by LVUER »

1. How can I do that? Since PS2,PS3,and XBOX360 (other than HDMI) only have that video and L/R audio jack. Is there converter for those cables? Oh, and I'm talking about laptop monitor here, not desktop one.
2. I don't really want to watch it live btw, I only want to record it... No one sells CD/DVD of those programmes here...
"Double the princesses, quadruple the fun!" - Haken Browning (SRW-OG Endless Frontier)

DeviantArt Account

Anima
Veteran
Completed: Loren
Projects: PS2

#4 Post by Anima »

Actually, you probably can't do either. Most Laptops have only Video Out ports, you would need a Video In port.
There are adapters for the audio signal, I'm using one to split the analog Playstation audio to my 5.1 System.
Avatar created with this deviation by Crysa
Currently working on:
  • Winterwolves "Planet Stronghold 2" - RPG Framework: Phase III

LateWhiteRabbit
Eileen-Class Veteran
Projects: The Space Between

#5 Post by LateWhiteRabbit »

LVUER wrote:1. How can I do that? Since PS2,PS3,and XBOX360 (other than HDMI) only have that video and L/R audio jack. Is there converter for those cables? Oh, and I'm talking about laptop monitor here, not desktop one.
2. I don't really want to watch it live btw, I only want to record it... No one sells CD/DVD of those programmes here...
1. There are DVI to HDMI converters, yes. I don't know about a laptop monitor, I've only done it with a desktop monitor.
2. Well, you need to watch it live to record it. Otherwise . . . well, you're talking torrents.

LVUER
King of Lolies

#6 Post by LVUER »

Anima wrote:Actually, you probably can't do either. Most Laptops have only Video Out ports, you would need a Video In port.
There are adapters for the audio signal, I'm using one to split the analog Playstation audio to my 5.1 System.
Do you mean even with TV Tuner, I couldn't do both?

DeviantArt Account

PyTom
Ren'Py Creator
Completed: Moonlight Walks
Projects: Ren'Py
IRC Nick: renpytom
Github: renpytom
itch: renpytom

#7 Post by PyTom »

You need a TV capture device (which is slightly different from a TV tuner, although it can contain one) to capture and display video. It works well enough for broadcast TV. For gaming, it's probably not going to work - the process introduces a lot of latency.
Supporting creators since 2004
(When was the last time you backed up your game?)
"Do good work." - Virgil Ivan "Gus" Grissom
Software > Drama • https://www.patreon.com/renpytom

Adorya
Miko-Class Veteran

#8 Post by Adorya »

As Pytom said, there exist capture device such as Ezcap USB that can capture from coaxial vid/sound data

You can display a player through you laptop but you will need a very good one (high end processor, high end card vid) because the data through usb is already slow and the hardware/software provided is usually of low quality.

I already tried this items and you will get something viewable but it will not be 1080p quality for sure.