Collaborative LSF VN Project (and I like you.)

Forum organization and occasional community-building.
Forum rules
Questions about Ren'Py should go in the Ren'Py Questions and Announcements forum.
redeyesblackpanda
Eileen-Class Veteran
Projects: Eternal Memories, plot bunnies that won't die.
Organization: HellPanda Studios

Re: I like you.

#16 Post by redeyesblackpanda »

What might work is a novel about a tournament for the "Champion of Everything". We could have everyone submit characters and there would be a story of each match. The characters would challenge each other to what ever they wanted (cooking contest, fight, chess, go, whatever) and then one character would move on to the next bracket until a "Champion of Everything" is crowned. The best thing is that those with the least time to commit can choose to get eliminated early in the tournament.
(All projects currently on a hiatus of sorts. I blame life.)
Tsundere VN
Not really checking the forums any more due to time constraints, so if you want to contact me, PM. I'll get a notification and log in. :mrgreen:
Also, I've been hit and run posting, which means I don't see many replies. If you want to respond to something I've said, also feel free to PM me.

NOTE: if you've got questions about vnovel or things like that, it's Leon that you should be contacting. Leon's been pretty much handling everything, but due to various reasons, I've had to withdraw entirely.

Gear
Miko-Class Veteran
Projects: Tempestus Sum
Organization: Xenokos Interactive
IRC Nick: Gear

#17 Post by Gear »

HigurashiKira wrote:Why not do something comiedic, like throwing 1 character from each game here together and seeing what happens?
I LIKE this idea.
The best reason to get up in the morning is to outdo yourself: to do it better than you've ever done it before. But if you haven't done it better by nightfall... look at your globe and pick a spot: it's always morning somewhere.

PyTom
Ren'Py Creator
Completed: Moonlight Walks
Projects: Ren'Py
IRC Nick: renpytom
Github: renpytom
itch: renpytom

#18 Post by PyTom »

Maybe do it sort of like the Secret Santa thing? Each person who participate donates a character, then the participants are assigned a pair of character and write up the story of their meeting. (Or perhaps your character and one other?)
Supporting creators since 2004
(When was the last time you backed up your game?)
"Do good work." - Virgil Ivan "Gus" Grissom
Software > Drama • https://www.patreon.com/renpytom

Weakjounin
Veteran

#19 Post by Weakjounin »

Gear wrote:
HigurashiKira wrote:Why not do something comiedic, like throwing 1 character from each game here together and seeing what happens?
I LIKE this idea.
I dunno maybe like everyone has a character that represents them and pretty make a VN about what it would be like if we were all in the same area and met in real life.
of course there'd be some bizarre events that happened.
With everyone collaborating on their own timeline and with others to make the timelines fit you could get a pretty deep story if you wanted.
and art style well... that's a hard one

Gear
Miko-Class Veteran

#20 Post by Gear »

I remember a memorial edition of a comic book shortly after Superboy died in DC. It was in memory of the story's writer, who was the little brother of one of DC's writers. Each page was done in a different art style, by a different penciler, inkist, and colorist who worked at DC at the time. It worked out rather well, and I think we could do the same...

@PyTom: Each person would need to donate two characters if we were going to mix-and-match that way. Of course, now it sounds like Super Smash Bros.
The best reason to get up in the morning is to outdo yourself: to do it better than you've ever done it before. But if you haven't done it better by nightfall... look at your globe and pick a spot: it's always morning somewhere.

HigurashiKira
Miko-Class Veteran

#21 Post by HigurashiKira »

redeyesblackpanda wrote:What might work is a novel about a tournament for the "Champion of Everything". We could have everyone submit characters and there would be a story of each match. The characters would challenge each other to what ever they wanted (cooking contest, fight, chess, go, whatever) and then one character would move on to the next bracket until a "Champion of Everything" is crowned. The best thing is that those with the least time to commit can choose to get eliminated early in the tournament.
I was museing on this idea one day, something between the female characters considering how all the female characters in the games here are at made up of at least 50% badass.
(Though it would be also amusing to pit the male characters in something similar, but if it's anything physical, the first round would be a seinen curbstomp match against the bishes, and no one wants that.)
I have moved to a new account. Please contact me here from now on. T/Y~

redeyesblackpanda
Eileen-Class Veteran

#22 Post by redeyesblackpanda »

HigurashiKira wrote:I was museing on this idea one day, something between the female characters considering how all the female characters on this forum are at least 50% badass.
(Though it would be also amusing to pit the male characters in something similar, but if it's anything physical, the first round would be a seinen curbstomp match against the bishes, and no one wants that.)
Well, I was thinking that each pair would agree on what they would be competing on.
Example: A nerd and a heavily muscled person have to decide on their battle. The nerd suggests a math chest and the muscled person suggests a boxing match. Both reject each other's ideas but learn that they both like growing plants, so they have a contest to see who can make the most beautiful garden. The story could be them going from shop to shop buying up plants and arranging them.
Tsundere VN
Not really checking the forums any more due to time constraints, so if you want to contact me, PM. I'll get a notification and log in. :mrgreen:
Also, I've been hit and run posting, which means I don't see many replies. If you want to respond to something I've said, also feel free to PM me.

NOTE: if you've got questions about vnovel or things like that, it's Leon that you should be contacting. Leon's been pretty much handling everything, but due to various reasons, I've had to withdraw entirely.

CheeryMoya
Miko-Class Veteran

#23 Post by CheeryMoya »

redeyesblackpanda wrote:
HigurashiKira wrote:I was museing on this idea one day, something between the female characters considering how all the female characters on this forum are at least 50% badass.
Well, I was thinking that each pair would agree on what they would be competing on.
Example: A nerd and a heavily muscled person have to decide on their battle. The nerd suggests a math chest and the muscled person suggests a boxing match. Both reject each other's ideas but learn that they both like growing plants, so they have a contest to see who can make the most beautiful garden. The story could be them going from shop to shop buying up plants and arranging them.
But then who would be the victor? Each writer is going to want their character to win, so there'd be arguments over which character will win each round.
Gear wrote:I remember a memorial edition of a comic book shortly after Superboy died in DC. It was in memory of the story's writer, who was the little brother of one of DC's writers. Each page was done in a different art style, by a different penciler, inkist, and colorist who worked at DC at the time. It worked out rather well, and I think we could do the same...

@PyTom: Each person would need to donate two characters if we were going to mix-and-match that way. Of course, now it sounds like Super Smash Bros.
This, me gusta. Each participant donates two of their characters into the pool, one to keep and another to give. Everyone is assigned a pair to write, and an artist draws those two characters. If done correctly, we can have a whole mix of different styles without it looking and reading strangely. All the stories would be connected to each other with a common theme.
... That's what I'm thinking of, at least. This would be an awesome metagame, you guys. I'm totes serious.

redeyesblackpanda
Eileen-Class Veteran

#24 Post by redeyesblackpanda »

CheeryMoya wrote:But then who would be the victor? Each writer is going to want their character to win, so there'd be arguments over which character will win each round.
We could have people vote for their favorite remaining characters and base it off that. It seems to be the fair way, as the person who wants to win and who writes/draws the most interesting character can win.
Tsundere VN

Silvere
Veteran
Projects: Dimaen - A drug just for you

#25 Post by Silvere »

Well, voting can be easily faked by getting new IP-adresses over and over. :|
Except it's counting the votes per posts. =3

But how would the "duel" go?
Like A writes a sentence / Dialogue / whatever and B answers? :shock:

Enigma
Veteran

#26 Post by Enigma »

I'd definitely be in on any group project of this scale.
If there ever needs to be a fight scene, that's my specialty.

Gear
Miko-Class Veteran

#27 Post by Gear »

I prefer a potluck idea. Each participant donates two characters and one plot/setting. Then a few people get together and divvy up the characters, putting them in the most inconvenient plots and with the worst partners possible. Then the writers and the artists get to work, the coders put it all together, and we get some composers and foley artists together, and...well, it would be awesome.

HigurashiKira
Miko-Class Veteran

#28 Post by HigurashiKira »

redeyesblackpanda wrote:
CheeryMoya wrote:But then who would be the victor? Each writer is going to want their character to win, so there'd be arguments over which character will win each round.
We could have people vote for their favorite remaining characters and base it off that. It seems to be the fair way, as the person who wants to win and who writes/draws the most interesting character can win.
Or we can do it the OMK way: Each person involved writes their character(s) climbing the ladder and winning.
I have moved to a new account. Please contact me here from now on. T/Y~

Fawn
Moe Imouto

#29 Post by Fawn »

Maybe it could be like this:

Artists donate sprite sets of 2-4 characters (an equal amount of males/females) and those sprite sets are randomly assigned to participating writers. The writers create a story inspired by the art. Then, if the writers need CGs, the artist of the sprite set will provide up to 5 cgs or less.

Feel free to mess around with this idea if you like it. I think it'd be fun for both artists and writers, since artists can draw characters without having to write and writers can make up stories from pre-made visuals.

Chushiki Maho
Regular
Projects: X-Tasy, Teacher Pets, Virus
Organization: Infinite Scribbles Productions

#30 Post by Chushiki Maho »

How about minigames? That way, there's a possibility that your chara could win, or the other. It may take a while to program though. I'm pretty sure Im just rambling nonsense, so take my words as a grain of salt. Anyways, if we do make a project like this, Id love to participate.
X-Tasy - GXB (WIP)
~ My Fanfiction
Virus [NaNoRenO 2012]
French to English (or vice-versa) VN translator ~ PM me if interested :3