Collaborative LSF VN Project (and I like you.)

Forum organization and occasional community-building.
Forum rules
Questions about Ren'Py should go in the Ren'Py Questions and Announcements forum.
Weakjounin
Veteran

Re: Collaborative LSF VN Project (and I like you.)

#91 Post by Weakjounin »

Personally I want to create something that's both fun to work on and has good quality that anyone can enjoy when it's done.
Maybe that's just me, I'm willing to dedicate as much of my time and effort is required as long as I can help get this project done.
Maybe we could have a story where a "Main Character" is sucked into his television and has to channel surf to escape. So he/she meets different OCs on different channels (2 people groups) and at the climax and finale an award show.
Something like that?

Patty
Regular
Completed: Letters for You, Museum Adventure: The Ascension of Huks
Projects: Paradox

#92 Post by Patty »

I want to experience working with people, and have fun. I'm willing to improve my skills (since my art is average, and my writing is less :l ), and put out something really great. I do not know if I have the commitment needed yet (since my project is in it's very early stages...), but I'm willing to work and provide needed services, and work under leadership. :)
Letters for You [KN] [NaNoRenO 2012] : http://lemmasoft.renai.us/forums/viewto ... 50&t=14271

Paradox [NaNoReNo 2013] WIP: http://lemmasoft.renai.us/forums/viewto ... 50&t=19714

Museum Adventure: The Ascension of Huks http://lemmasoft.renai.us/forums/viewto ... 11&t=28476

PyTom
Ren'Py Creator
Completed: Moonlight Walks
Projects: Ren'Py
IRC Nick: renpytom
Github: renpytom
itch: renpytom

#93 Post by PyTom »

I'd suggest that something like this - while good for the forum - has the potential to sap resources from other project, and to keep going on for a long time, with people entering and leaving the project. I don't think we want this to become the next KS, but rather be a fun thing that people can work on for a bit before going back to their own endeavors.

So why not set a time limit? 48 hours, or maybe a week, and then it's pencils down except for the integration work. People here have done 48 hour games before.
Supporting creators since 2004
(When was the last time you backed up your game?)
"Do good work." - Virgil Ivan "Gus" Grissom
Software > Drama • https://www.patreon.com/renpytom

Gear
Miko-Class Veteran
Projects: Tempestus Sum
Organization: Xenokos Interactive
IRC Nick: Gear

#94 Post by Gear »

I'm not so sure I'd want to integrate a time limit, per se, but I do agree that this project is for the journey, not the destination. Everyone should enjoy making it. I can be the poor sap who manages everything, since I did technically come up with the original idea (in a strange attempt to quell fighting), and each writer/artist team gets assigned two characters to write a small segment. They get it done whenever, and I'll integrate it with my mad (read: mediocre) Ren'Py skills.
The best reason to get up in the morning is to outdo yourself: to do it better than you've ever done it before. But if you haven't done it better by nightfall... look at your globe and pick a spot: it's always morning somewhere.

CheeryMoya
Miko-Class Veteran

#95 Post by CheeryMoya »

I have an idea! Make this game the community's NaNoRenO 2012 game! There are no written rules (that I have read) that say a NaNoRenO game has to be made in March; it just has to be released in March to be considered a NaNoRenO game. This is great for all of us who want to participate this year, but can't quite do it ourselves. I think this date would give us enough time to gather everything up, yet restrain us from going superfluous with the entire package.

Another idea that popped into my head before I went to sleep: if we're going to use free resources, only use the ones that originated on LSF. That'll encourage more originality, rather than reusing the same songs and backgrounds that are on the OELVN wiki. Stuff like BCS's backgrounds is okay to use, and the only problem I think would pose a problem is the creation of music to use for this game.

So again, I'll sum up what the general consensus is for people having trouble following this thread:
  • Humor/Adventure metagame using characters from both released games and current WIPs on LSF
  • All participants will donate 2 of their characters for use in the story
  • All art and writing styles are welcomed, as the game will be very modular
  • TV channeling surfing-like story(?)
Tentative features are:
  • An original protagonist that is created specifically for this game
  • Lots of branching
This was removed for a change of opinion.
Last edited by CheeryMoya on Thu Apr 26, 2012 1:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

azureXtwilight
Megane Procrastinator
Completed: Fantasia series (ROT and ROTA), Doppleganger: Dawn of The Inverted Soul, a2 (a due), Time Labyrinth
Projects: At Regime's End
Organization: Memento-Mori VNs, Team Sleepyhead

#96 Post by azureXtwilight »

Hmm, how about customizable protagonist then? :P

SilverxBlue
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Caught in Between: A childhood prologue
Projects: MDLS, Alice Hunt(Temporarily on-hold), The Guardian's Spell and one other unannounced thing.

#97 Post by SilverxBlue »

But the thing with Nanoreno is that you can only start working on the VN at the start or March. Correct me if I'm wrong though, since this is what I have always thought.

And I like the idea of using only the free resources that originated here. And as for music, aren't there a few composers who made threads to offer theirs? Like this one for instance. This was the only one I could find though. *orz*
azureXtwilight wrote:Hmm, how about customizable protagonist then? :P
Oh! I want to second this one, but programming this would be such a huge pain. D:
Image Image
"A fool who doesn't think is more foolish than a fool who foolishly thinks." - Franziska Von Karma
Weeeeeee~
不愉快です !!!

CheeryMoya
Miko-Class Veteran

#98 Post by CheeryMoya »

Quick search has found me this thread about NaNoRenO 2010, which proves me wrong. Dang. Let's just bend the rules just this once, pleeeeeaaaaassssseeeeeee?

Yeah, Roganis' stuff is pretty good, but we'll still need more music to fit every mood. Composers! We need you!

Gear
Miko-Class Veteran

#99 Post by Gear »

I don't think the NaNoRenO idea will work simply because this project will require more time than that. It's a cool idea, don't get me wrong, but I simply do not think we can coordinate everything to be put together in the month of March alone, especially with only one person coordinating it.

I think the customizable protagonist is a bit too complex. We are trying to keep things simple and modular. We could have a faceless MC or something like that, but I think it would take too much time and programming prowess to create a customizable MC.

We will start with resources we have here at LSF. In the end, if we run out, we can go to free resources for music and bg's.

And I'm down with the bro-hug, bro.
The best reason to get up in the morning is to outdo yourself: to do it better than you've ever done it before. But if you haven't done it better by nightfall... look at your globe and pick a spot: it's always morning somewhere.

Weakjounin
Veteran

#100 Post by Weakjounin »

For a customizable main character everyone can submit hairstyles, eyestyles mouths noses and clothes. The only hard part would be for the programmer....
Also I think we should start by making a list of "Core Members" (who will dedicate tons of time, trying to manage things and make things stick) and "Chill Members" (who are in it for the ride, want to contribute but don't have all the time to dedicate or the enthusiasm)
This way we can also finally discuss how we want to run things and to handle the project.
In my opinion, march is way too soon for this to be completed.
EDIT: 100th post in this thread

Gear
Miko-Class Veteran

#101 Post by Gear »

So, I've created an idea thread for this project. I think discussion should move here, since it's a more appropriate location, and more of the facts are laid out in an easier-to-read fashion than 100 posts.

That said, this thread is now dedicated to people talking about how much they like each other.

Weakjounin
Veteran

#102 Post by Weakjounin »

So back to the original topic: I love you guys <3

Gear
Miko-Class Veteran

#103 Post by Gear »

I'm feeling the love. And surprisingly, not in a creepy way.

redeyesblackpanda
Eileen-Class Veteran
Projects: Eternal Memories, plot bunnies that won't die.
Organization: HellPanda Studios

#104 Post by redeyesblackpanda »

Gear wrote:I'm feeling the love. And surprisingly, not in a creepy way.
I can fix that...
(All projects currently on a hiatus of sorts. I blame life.)
Tsundere VN
Not really checking the forums any more due to time constraints, so if you want to contact me, PM. I'll get a notification and log in. :mrgreen:
Also, I've been hit and run posting, which means I don't see many replies. If you want to respond to something I've said, also feel free to PM me.

NOTE: if you've got questions about vnovel or things like that, it's Leon that you should be contacting. Leon's been pretty much handling everything, but due to various reasons, I've had to withdraw entirely.

Chushiki Maho
Regular
Projects: X-Tasy, Teacher Pets, Virus
Organization: Infinite Scribbles Productions

#105 Post by Chushiki Maho »

We should all feel the love on this forum~ Free hugs to everyone here! :)
X-Tasy - GXB (WIP)
~ My Fanfiction
Virus [NaNoRenO 2012]
French to English (or vice-versa) VN translator ~ PM me if interested :3