Megaupload down?

Forum organization and occasional community-building.
Forum rules
Questions about Ren'Py should go in the Ren'Py Questions and Announcements forum.
Lishy
Miko-Class Veteran

Re: Megaupload down?

#106 Post by Lishy »

I hope I'm not the only one who believes MegaUpload wasn't innocent. You have to scratch your head why the site was filled with so many virus-inflicting ads unless you used an adblock, and why Kim Dotcom's background had so many criminal offenses.

Obviously, I'm hugely pro-mediafire however!

That said, I do not support the FBI's investigation or handling of the matter. What they did is the equivalent of charging Julian Assange for treason, which doesn't make sense because Julian Assange is NOT an American citizen! (Though if you look at their backgrounds, Julian Assange is miles better than Kim Dotcom any day!)

That said, Kim Dotcom deserves a fair, and legit court-case, with a thorough investigation (even if what he did is despicable.) By confiscating his assets, he's unable to hire a lawyer for himself. At this point, you might as well skip all court trials whatsoever, because he cannot defend himself. I find that incredibly unfair under any scenario, INCLUDING towards Kim Dotcom!

Charge him for what he actually did. Not for what is fantasy!

My point? Although MU was very lovable during its uptime, we should take an unbias approach to the situation, and judge things by what they really did.
Last edited by Lishy on Fri Feb 17, 2012 4:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-

Taleweaver
Writing Maniac
Completed: Metropolitan Blues, The Loyal Kinsman, Daemonophilia, The Dreaming, The Thirteenth Year, Adrift, Bionic Heart 2, Secrets of the Wolf, The Photographer
Projects: The Pilgrim's Path, Elspeth's Garden, Secret Adventure Game!
Organization: Tall Tales Productions

#107 Post by Taleweaver »

Lishy wrote:That said, Kim Dotcom deserves a fair, and legit court-case, with a thorough investigation (even if what he did is despicable.) By confiscating his assets, he's unable to hire a lawyer for himself. At this point, you might as well skip all court trials whatsoever, because he cannot defend himself. I find that incredibly unfair under any scenario, INCLUDING towards Kim Dotcom!
Looks like his legal defense works fine...
Scriptwriter and producer of Metropolitan Blues
Creator of The Loyal Kinsman
Scriptwriter and director of Daemonophilia
Scriptwriter and director of The Dreaming
Scriptwriter of Zenith Chronicles
Scriptwriter and director of The Thirteenth Year
Scriptwriter and director of Romance is Dead
Scriptwriter and producer of Adrift
More about me in my blog
"Adrift - Like Ever17, but without the Deus Ex Machina" - HigurashiKira

Lishy
Miko-Class Veteran

#108 Post by Lishy »

What about the MegaBox proposal? Stealing ad revenue from other sites?

As a visual novel creator myself, that is a huge concern to me. I'm running a serious project, and I've invested hundreds of dollars into it, despite being freeware. The least people could do for me in return was ad revenue to repay my spending.

If MegaUpload purposely intended to place adware on other computers to modify their ads and steal ad revenue from other sites, then I believe we should take an honest look at that, and question it. Now, adblock+ is a different story, because it is NOT malware!

Just like we question the FBI, shouldn't we also question his website?

"We don't think MegaUpload did anything wrong as it regards to copyright issues," Bingo.

Copyright shouldn't be the issue. At all.
-