Danger lurks for every Megaupload users, PLEASE READ!

Forum organization and occasional community-building.
Forum rules
Questions about Ren'Py should go in the Ren'Py Questions and Announcements forum.
LVUER
King of Lolies
Completed: R.S.P

Danger lurks for every Megaupload users, PLEASE READ!

#1 Post by LVUER »

Bad news for all people who have used Megaupload service (upload, download, it's all the same, as long as it violates any kind of copyrights). Completely ridiculous but also very very dangerous.

US government uses all private information on Megaupload servers to arrest and apply a ridiculous amount of fine (and bankrupting) lots of people, some just because downloading a mere 24 songs from Megaupload.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-tD1yaE0GfQ

Please watch and spread this to all people you know. Remember that this could spread to other hosting sites users, if feds takes down others too.

EDIT: And this journal could explain it better than I do -> http://kawaiis-r-us.deviantart.com/jour ... -280478774
"Double the princesses, quadruple the fun!" - Haken Browning (SRW-OG Endless Frontier)

DeviantArt Account
MoeToMecha Blog (under construction)
Lolicondria Blog (under construction) <- NSFW

OtomeWeekend
Eileen-Class Veteran

Re: Danger lurks for every Megaupload users, PLEASE READ!

#2 Post by OtomeWeekend »

Well, I hate to say this but... mom, there's nothing good on the internet now besides getting arrested, can you just pay the penalty for not completing the contract in ntt and disconnect this danger called internet connection?

I've downloaded an oelvn game(forgot what that was, but I think it was a popular one here in LSF) and I think I'll be seeing people who downloaded that in jail too huh?

Seriously, that's too far. I kinda feel like the US is just using this as an excuse to demand money on people worldwide(no offense but as someone who doesn't live there, that's what I feel, honestly).
"The weak can never forgive. Forgiveness is the attribute of the strong." ---Mahatma Gandhi

I no longer use this account. Please refer to my new account, enta if you want to contact me. Thank you.

LVUER
King of Lolies

#3 Post by LVUER »

If you watch the entire content, you'll discover another horrible truth about US too. Now I vow to never have any business ties with US.

According to the video, it could be that US wants those people to be sent to jail (you can't declare bankruptcy in this case) because you will be forced to be their slaves for lives.

Please spread this video. I just found another horrible truth that... None of facts in this video is out there on the internet! That means US and those evil corporations managed to hide the truth all this time.
"Double the princesses, quadruple the fun!" - Haken Browning (SRW-OG Endless Frontier)

DeviantArt Account

Taleweaver
Writing Maniac
Completed: Metropolitan Blues, The Loyal Kinsman, Daemonophilia, The Dreaming, The Thirteenth Year, Adrift, Bionic Heart 2, Secrets of the Wolf, The Photographer
Projects: The Pilgrim's Path, Elspeth's Garden, Secret Adventure Game!
Organization: Tall Tales Productions

#4 Post by Taleweaver »

Okay, chill. This video is bullshit. 99.9 percent of it.

First of all, the part about "anyone who's ever downloaded anything copyrighted from MU is now screwed". WRONG. MU doesn't store IP information about everyone who downloads... at least not for more than a couple of days. Why should they? They earn nothing from people downloading media stored on their servers, they only need that information for the few hours they keep you out to after you've downloaded something to promote their paid services. So there's no way to track you as a downloader unless you've used the service less than a few days ago - if that long.

Secondly, the uploader part. Just. The. Same. If you haven't paid MU for premium services, they won't keep any IP information. Why should they clog their servers with useless data?

Thirdly, the "slave labor" part. Even BIGGER bullshit! US prisons are already so full that they can hardly afford to throw people in jail who've done real crimes, and now someone starts a plot to enslave 25% of internet users, which nicely calculates into half a billion people? Where would all these people live? It's not feasible, and that's even BEFORE you take the massive problems with international relations into account. What country has the reputation of being Copyright Infringement Country Number One in the world? China! I can't see China extraditing any single citizen into the U.S., and I can't see the U.S. being able to pressure China into doing that - China has the ability to crash the U.S. economy if they want to.

Really, that guy wears a tinfoil hat the size of the Tokyo Tower. Don't believe a single word of that crap.
Scriptwriter and producer of Metropolitan Blues
Creator of The Loyal Kinsman
Scriptwriter and director of Daemonophilia
Scriptwriter and director of The Dreaming
Scriptwriter of Zenith Chronicles
Scriptwriter and director of The Thirteenth Year
Scriptwriter and director of Romance is Dead
Scriptwriter and producer of Adrift
More about me in my blog
"Adrift - Like Ever17, but without the Deus Ex Machina" - HigurashiKira

jack_norton
Lemma-Class Veteran
Completed: Too many! See my homepage
Projects: A lot! See www.winterwolves.com
Tumblr: winterwolvesgames

#5 Post by jack_norton »

Yes, that video is totally fake and full of BS.
follow me on Image Image Image
computer games

Mirage
Veteran

#6 Post by Mirage »

Right in the beginning of the video, it was written... "Plz thumbs up! I'm being trolled!"

papillon
Arbiter of the Internets
Completed: lots; see website!
Projects: something mysterious involving yuri, usually
Organization: Hanako Games
Tumblr: hanakogames

#7 Post by papillon »

Don't believe everything you see on the internet!

PockieHoshi
Regular

#8 Post by PockieHoshi »

Oh god.Watching that nearly gave me a heart attack x_x;
What's the internet coming to these days? D;

HigurashiKira
Miko-Class Veteran

#9 Post by HigurashiKira »

I recalled reading in a news article that the end users (that would be us) aren't really going to be the focus of that. They were only going after the owners of the site

Though that video did give me quite a scare.
I have moved to a new account. Please contact me here from now on. T/Y~

xSamChan
Regular

#10 Post by xSamChan »

It's okay. We'll have eachother in jail.

LeandroP
Regular

#11 Post by LeandroP »

xSamChan wrote:It's okay. We'll have eachother in jail.
We should get a gang name... :lol:
The least important things, sometimes, my dear boy, lead to the greatest discoveries.
Would write your VN for character's sprites.

LVUER
King of Lolies

#12 Post by LVUER »

At least now people can have a free "vacation" to US. Joking aside, I'm not too worried myself, my country doesn't have any extradiction ties with US anyways (they even aren't that close from the first place). But if this video holds a tiny bit of truth, it's already horibble enough.

I Myself speculate that they won't arrest everybody, it's more like a scare tactics. Hey, you think you're safe just because you're not in US? Feel the long hand of (US) laws... Or you think we will let you get away just because you're a college student who download a couple of songs? Think again...

But I think his news about UK student being extradited to UK is true, since there's a petition about it right now.

DeviantArt Account

papillon
Arbiter of the Internets
Completed: lots; see website!
Projects: something mysterious involving yuri, usually
Organization: Hanako Games
Tumblr: hanakogames

#13 Post by papillon »

But I think his news about UK student being extradited to UK is true, since there's a petition about it right now.
The guy being extradited was *also* someone running a whole website (and making tens of thousands of dollars a month) rather than a random downloader.

It's still a problem and legally dubious on the part of the UK government for going along with it due to long story having to do with the specifics of that particular case. But it's not a sign that the whole internet is being rounded up.

OtomeWeekend
Eileen-Class Veteran

#14 Post by OtomeWeekend »

I still think it's unfair for someone who doesn't even live in US. :/ I'll be honest here and say this but, US gov't. could arrest all their US people and see me never care because it's their own country and they are under their OWN law, but be it UK or New Zealand, I guess there are proper authorities and trial courts enough to just do it on their own country under their own law. It's much acceptable, and it doesn't seem like US is like showing off or something. --Or don't tell me this is one of the moves US is taking to finally start WW3(could also be ? I mean, US against the world? And like I mentioned earlier, no offense to US citizens. This is just a comment from someone who is clueless about US laws and how US gov't. people's mind run.
"The weak can never forgive. Forgiveness is the attribute of the strong." ---Mahatma Gandhi

I no longer use this account. Please refer to my new account, enta if you want to contact me. Thank you.

LVUER
King of Lolies

#15 Post by LVUER »

It's because UK (and Japan... And bunch of other countries) have political and extradition ties with US. So people that currently in UK that commit crimes in US soil could be extradited (aka shipped) to US to be courted.

Still... This all still seems wrong to me...

DeviantArt Account