Do you shed tears?

Forum organization and occasional community-building.
Forum rules
Questions about Ren'Py should go in the Ren'Py Questions and Announcements forum.
lordcloudx
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: http://rd2k2-games.blogspot.com

Do you shed tears?

#1 Post by lordcloudx »

Just a question for the writers in here. You may explain or not.
Do you ever shed tears before you realize it sometimes when you are so engrossed in the story-writing process? :wink:
How do you make your games? I see. Thank you for the prompt replies, but it is my considered opinion that you're doing it wrong inefficiently because I am a perfushenal professional. Do it my way this way and we can all ascend VN Nirvana together while allowing me to stroke my ego you will improve much faster. Also, please don't forget to thank me for this constructive critique or I will cry and bore you to death respond appropriately with a tl;dr rant discourse of epic adequately lengthy proportions. - Sarcasm Veiled in Euphemism: Secrets of Forum Civility by lordcloudx (Coming soon to an online ebook near you.)

monele
Lemma-Class Veteran

#2 Post by monele »

Mm... no, but I try to avoid teary drama ^^;... I often find myself making faces according to the mood of what I write, though ^^;

Watercolorheart
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: Controlled Chaos / Sum of the Parts / "that" Midna game with ZONEsama
Projects: Sparse Series/Oddments Shop original cartoon in Pevrea; Cybernetic Duels (fighting game); Good Vibin'
Organization: Watercolorheart Studios
IRC Nick: BCS
Tumblr: adminwatercolor
Deviantart: itsmywatercolorheart
Github: Watercolordevdev
Soundcloud: Watercollider
itch: watercolorheart

#3 Post by Watercolorheart »

No, but the experience of shedding tears before ... a broken heart ... these things can be remembered strongly during the writing process.

I have been moved to tears by other media I've done, especially if I detached myself from my work before finally viewing it again. Animating a death or a love scene with voice-acting.... both these things can cause me to well up, in a negative or positive way.
I'm not even the same person anymore

dizzcity
Veteran
Projects: Lakeside Sunset, Wedding Vows, Working Woman

#4 Post by dizzcity »

Generally, I don't shed tears when I'm writing. I can shed them sometimes when I'm fully envisioning the scene in my brainstorm-halfdream mode, but once I get down to work, it's usually some form of catharsis, pouring out all of the feelings into the script. So instead of feeling sad enough to cry, I get happier and happier writing. If I can feel "the buzz" when writing, that lets me know I've done well.

Afterwards, when I read through some of my stories, I may occasionally get touched to tears, but never more than once or twice. The effect wears off once I get used to it.

-Dizzy-
A smart man follows the rules, a dumb man breaks them. A great man bends the rules and thus creates them.
Fanfiction.net Profile.
Writer and director of Working Woman (NaNoRenO March 2010)
Writer and director of Wedding Vows (finished 2009).
Creator of Lakeside Sunset (finished 2006).

mikey
Lemma-Class Veteran
itch: atpprojects

#5 Post by mikey »

While writing, I do. But it happens very rarely, and it's usually just wet eyes, not exactly crying or anything. It happens when I'm completely submerged into writing, writing text on the go and the responses and lines from the characters or whatever else happens are somehow emotional and I'm usually at that empathic stage... so yes it kind of forces the tears from time to time.

Also, this high-empathy thing can happen while going through the written text to edit and fine-tune it, you also need to be inside the text at that stage. It never actually happened to me that I really cried though.

lordcloudx
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: http://rd2k2-games.blogspot.com

#6 Post by lordcloudx »

Interesting, thanks for the responses. :twisted:
I get wet eyes myself when I'm writing a feature article or essay I feel strongly about, but not when writing stories. I only feel in the mood for story-writing when I'm already inspired by a strong emotions, thus my penchant for angsty short-stories fanfic or original.

monele: I make faces unconciously too, but only when I'm drawing.
How do you make your games? I see. Thank you for the prompt replies, but it is my considered opinion that you're doing it wrong inefficiently because I am a perfushenal professional. Do it my way this way and we can all ascend VN Nirvana together while allowing me to stroke my ego you will improve much faster. Also, please don't forget to thank me for this constructive critique or I will cry and bore you to death respond appropriately with a tl;dr rant discourse of epic adequately lengthy proportions. - Sarcasm Veiled in Euphemism: Secrets of Forum Civility by lordcloudx (Coming soon to an online ebook near you.)

F.I.A
Miko-Class Veteran
Projects: Winter Shard, EVE, Hyperion

#7 Post by F.I.A »

I think I did get those teary eyes when I write the scenarios for Character X in Winter Shard. Or sometimes I got this feeling tugging me "Dang, why can't I give it a better life?".

I guess it is normal, feeling for your own characters. :lol:
「通りすがりのメーカだ。覚えとけ。」

----------
Winter shard
WIP: Hyperion(Trace unknown), ?????(Progressing)

MalkMad

#8 Post by MalkMad »

Not while writing, but when end something.

Happened when i wrote the last line of a 6 mounth novel ("keep swimming!", I'll never forget those words)

I have a kind of ''why make this end now?" feeling...

thas aswear why I have so many uncomplete works... :/
"He was born with the gift of a laughter and a sense that the world was mad."

Vatina
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Blue Rose, AO: Broken Memories, My Eternal Rival, Dust
Projects: AO: Fallen Star
Organization: White Cat
IRC Nick: Vatina
Tumblr: vatinyan
Deviantart: Vatina
itch: whitecat

#9 Post by Vatina »

I wrote one story once that almost made me teary eyed - it ended in a way I hadn't planned... ^^;

Hmm... now that I think about it I get all sad again o_O Oh no, what have I done! >_<

yuirei
Regular

#10 Post by yuirei »

I want something like that to happen to me =) however I'm not a good writer at the moment I guess

mikey
Lemma-Class Veteran
itch: atpprojects

#11 Post by mikey »

yuirei wrote:I want something like that to happen to me =) however I'm not a good writer at the moment I guess
Feeling for what you write has nothing to do with "how well" you write. Really, if you put heart into your writing, it doesn't matter that the style won't be superpolished, it will feel special to you, and you'll be able to empathise with your characters - that has nothing do do with writing skill.

Nafai
Veteran
Projects: Elect: Ascendance

#12 Post by Nafai »

Unfortunately no. I tend to plot out things heavily in advance and slowly flesh things out, so even the best scenes I've written don't call forth enough of a reaction from me that I'd tear.

I tear a lot reading other people's works though, especially well done endings.

Taleweaver
Writing Maniac
Completed: Metropolitan Blues, The Loyal Kinsman, Daemonophilia, The Dreaming, The Thirteenth Year, Adrift, Bionic Heart 2, Secrets of the Wolf, The Photographer
Projects: The Pilgrim's Path, Elspeth's Garden, Secret Adventure Game!
Organization: Tall Tales Productions

#13 Post by Taleweaver »

It happens. Not during the writing, but occasionally during the creative process. And at times, when reading stuff I wrote a long time ago, tears sometimes escape me at a particularly well-written scene - especially when I didn't remember the scene being so well-written. But it's rare.

I DO weep like a little kid at stuff other people write, though. Lots of stuff, by the way. And I mostly enjoy weeping then. It's good to let it all out.
Scriptwriter and producer of Metropolitan Blues
Creator of The Loyal Kinsman
Scriptwriter and director of Daemonophilia
Scriptwriter and director of The Dreaming
Scriptwriter of Zenith Chronicles
Scriptwriter and director of The Thirteenth Year
Scriptwriter and director of Romance is Dead
Scriptwriter and producer of Adrift
More about me in my blog
"Adrift - Like Ever17, but without the Deus Ex Machina" - HigurashiKira

tyciol

#14 Post by tyciol »

Hm, sometimes a good game can get me teary, I hope so if I write one.

mrsulu
Regular
Completed: Lady Sugarplum's Bad Day

#15 Post by mrsulu »

No, no tears, but I sometimes cackle when I realize an opportunity for a funny line.

I saw a writer who wrote funny, ironic books, and she said she basically sat in her attic for 2 years writing, and probably twice she stopped and went, "HAH." like Mrs. Crabbapple from the Simpsons. Otherwise, totally deadpan.