Get that thing off your chest... Now...

Forum organization and occasional community-building.
Forum rules
Questions about Ren'Py should go in the Ren'Py Questions and Announcements forum.
papillon
Arbiter of the Internets
Completed: lots; see website!
Projects: something mysterious involving yuri, usually
Organization: Hanako Games
Tumblr: hanakogames

Re: Get that thing off your chest... Now...

#1771 Post by papillon »

Sapphi wrote: I have to say that at least from my perspective, living together in an exclusive sexual relationship is basically marriage... just without the ring, ceremony, and government recognition :lol: So I find it kind of weird. You want commitment, and he doesn't want to commit yet... but what is going to change when you get married? You're already together!
Wandering off on a tangent here but - when I first got married, which was necessary for legal reasons (long story) I was really awkward and embarrassed about talking about it for a while afterwards because marriage had been built up so much as this THING like we were supposed to change and be different and be Real Adults now... which of course wasn't the case, because how exactly is five minutes in a government registry office supposed to change your whole personality? It doesn't. But I was so confused from all the expectations and meanings other people put on marriage that I really hated admitting I was married. It took me a while to relax and be comfortable with who we were.

Well, that and to this day I'm still kinda ticked off that I'll never get to have a big dress-up party. :) But honestly the problem there is more that my friends are on the internets and thus unless I become fabulously wealthy one day and can afford to fly people frmo all over the world to my party...

Tetiel
Regular
Projects: Anton's Vacation EP 1 and 2 + Rising Angels (CGs/Character Selection), Katajion Kinetic Monthly (character sprites)

#1772 Post by Tetiel »

@Deji - I can also chime in and say that marriage pretty much changed nothing for me. Like others have said, once you move in together you may as well be married. In Canada (I have no idea about your country), even if you are not common-law, there are financial protections for people in a live-in relationship which has lasted for more than six months similar to if you were legally declared married. Like I mean... at that point, you may as well be. The point of marriage, outside of religious reasons, is to give tax breaks to people who are starting a family. It also gives protection to dependents. The real goal is to have kids (excepting those who don't want/can't have children, in which case it's for a life partner, but I don't think you apply). Ignore the marriage aspect because you really don't need it to have a family. You don't have a time limit on marriage, what you do have is roughly 11 healthy childbearing years left. He has until he dies. If he doesn't want to have children within a reasonable amount of time, I wouldn't even wait until March. It's a cold, heartless way of looking at your relationship, but you must do what is best for you.

LateWhiteRabbit
Eileen-Class Veteran
Projects: The Space Between

#1773 Post by LateWhiteRabbit »

jack_norton wrote:
Deji wrote: The other thing is that I'm 29 and NOT willing to go hunt down another guy to be dating him for idk how long and then get married at what--- 34? And have kids at 36? NO. I have better chances of getting what I want if I just endure all this, I think.
This is scary. Are you saying you should just stay with him because will be too much effort to find someone else!?!? :shock:
Sorry, I know you enough so even if I'm blunt know that I say this only because I don't want you to make a bad choice, but definitely you should make kids, get married only with someone you love. Making kids doesn't solve any problem in a relationship. The most likely outcome would be a divorce after some years and the kids would grow up unhappy.
Jack's right. That's a scary way of looking at things. Marriage and kids don't help a relationship. There are many marriages that end in divorce when small children become involved, and then a poor child is stuck in the middle - for life. Children cause their parents to divorce by being the straw that breaks the camel's back.

And sorry, I don't know you're boyfriend, but if someone told me I was too immature for marriage, but they lived with and enjoyed all the fringe benefits with none of the commitment? That's screwed up. Either he doesn't think enough of you to commit and he's using the maturity thing as an excuse, of he genuinely wants to change you, and neither is a good thing. At 29, your personality is set. You'll never get "more mature" or change how you think or do things short of some catastrophic disaster or upheaval in your life. If he doesn't like you well enough to marry you as you are now, those conditions will never change. And frankly, from what I hear, I wouldn't marry him anyway. It just sounds like you're heading for a messy divorce later down the road. Or worse, a miserable unhappy marriage where you feel trapped for the rest of your life. Because people DO NOT CHANGE.

I've seen divorce too many times, and been friends with both sides in the relationships, and always I hear the same refrain. "I thought after we got married, things would change." They do. You get more joint responsibility, possibly kids to keep you awake and stress you out, and both sides stop trying to impress each other as much as when they were dating. But the other person's personality isn't going to change. That bad habit they have isn't going to change. If you don't passionately love each other when you get married, if you aren't truly, mutually respectful friends with each other and truly accept all the faults of the other person, you have no chance of staying married.

As for a kid, you'd be better off having a child from a sperm donor than trapping a child in the middle of an unhappy marriage and subsequent divorce where they'll be forced to play double agent for both parents for the rest of their life. I grew up that way, stuck between bad mouthing parents that used me as pawn to subtly antagonize each other and play a game of passive aggressive tug-of-war with my upbringing. Forget that. All it does is lead to a child that resents both parents for being selfish. They were fighting and having arguments after dating for six years and thought getting married would "fix it". I don't begrudge my existence, but that was just freaking stupid on their part.
Tetiel wrote:You don't have a time limit on marriage, what you do have is roughly 11 healthy childbearing years left. He has until he dies. If he doesn't want to have children within a reasonable amount of time, I wouldn't even wait until March. It's a cold, heartless way of looking at your relationship, but you must do what is best for you.
Yes, never wait on a man to hear the same biological clock ringing that you do. Unlike women, men can have kids up into their 80s and later thanks to the little blue pill. Biologically and socially, it even works out better for men to drag their feet on having kids. We have all the time in the world to make ourselves financially secure and successful and still have kids provided we can attract a young enough woman.

Does your boyfriend even want kids? Does he know you're desperate for them? Is he going to come up with some reason why you're too immature to get pregnant by him?

I really feel like you're waiting on a ship to set sail that never intends to leave the dock.

junna
Veteran
Projects: DreamWalker; History; Adversity Competition

#1774 Post by junna »

jack_norton wrote: I know some of my friends who never lived together, then they got married and after a few years or even months they separated. It's totally stupid not trying the experience of living together before marrying. Good that you tried that.
:shock: I wonder how my mum and dad tolerated each other since they were married a year and half after meeting, and never lived together. Well...that being said, my mum is also 9 years younger than my dad. They are now the epitome of the sweet old couple at 61 and 70 years old. Or silly...they still fight and complain about useless things like the TV channel, going shopping and exercise. :roll:

Umm...I'll just quietly watch the whole thing after this, since I have zero experience in significant other relationship. Might pick up some pointers too. *scribble2*
chibi avvie by Meg (buprettyinpink).
WIP=>Image
Image<=helping out

DaFool
Lemma-Class Veteran

#1775 Post by DaFool »

This is the first stretch of office free time I've had in like... 4 months.

company-wide server migration, fresh format all workstations, all backup from previous years consolidation, finally, freakin done.

Aaaaahhhhhhhhjh.

fleet
Eileen-Class Veteran
Deviantart: fleetp

#1776 Post by fleet »

Advice for Deji. Go to couples counseling. If "HE" doesn't want to go, go by yourself.
Some of my visual novels are at http://www.the-new-lagoon.com. They are NSFW
Poorly done hand-drawn art is still poorly done art. Be a Poser (or better yet, use DAZ Studio 3D) - dare to be different.

Mink
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: Say You Love Me (Short Version), C!P (NaNo12), Lady Misfortune, NatH, W/K, MtF, SMQ, TBM, TMHK, LoC, MMDG
Projects: Stuff
Organization: Metal Orphans

#1777 Post by Mink »

Hm, this talk makes me wonder: what's say about me that I think romantic relationships are pointless?

'Course, that's probably because I'm asexual, for all intents and purposes, so I don't see what more I could get out of dating someone than just being friends with someone.
"I will send a fully armed battalion to remind you of my love."

***Say You Love Me***Human Enough***Cheerful!Polymorph [NaNo12][Complete!]***
"Couldn't you stop this?"
"Probably, but I don't want to."

*Website, yo*

Sapphi
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: Boku no Taisetsu na Yumeko
Projects: Twelve, PAW ★ PRINTS
Organization: Kitsch-soft

#1778 Post by Sapphi »

Mink wrote:Hm, this talk makes me wonder: what's say about me that I think romantic relationships are pointless?

'Course, that's probably because I'm asexual, for all intents and purposes, so I don't see what more I could get out of dating someone than just being friends with someone.
It says you have a practical mind :)

I've been thinking about this recently, too. My boyfriend and I are waiting until we get married to have sex. We've been together for 4 years now and we have a wonderful relationship. Most of the time I don't even feel like anything is missing :lol:

I think in Western society at least, we've lost a lot of the meaning behind relationships... communities aren't as tightly knit as they used to be, so a sexual relationship is now the ONLY one where hugging, kissing, holding hands etc. is acceptable. It's kind of sad...
"It is [the writer's] privilege to help man endure by lifting his heart,
by reminding him of the courage and honor and hope and pride
and compassion and pity and sacrifice which have been the glory of his past."
— William Faulkner
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬..+X+..▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬

TrickWithAKnife
Eileen-Class Veteran
Projects: Rika
Organization: Solo (for now)
IRC Nick: Trick

#1779 Post by TrickWithAKnife »

So many different relationship styles. My wife and I were like bunnies before we got married, and nothing really changed after. Some people are physically affectionate, some people are not. It's not really an issue either way unless both people in the relationship have different views about it.
"We must teach them through the tools with which they are comfortable."
The #renpy IRC channel is a great place to chat with other devs. Due to the nature of IRC and timezone differences, people probably won't reply right away.

If you'd like to view or use any code from my VN PM me. All code is freely available without restriction, but also without warranty or (much) support.

Fungii
Veteran
Completed: Home's Embrace
Projects: Royality TV
Tumblr: fungiidraws
itch: fungii

#1780 Post by Fungii »

Someone motivate me to work.
Someone.
Anyone.
Help (I need somebody) help (not just anybody) help.

wakagana
Veteran
Projects: Flash Q
Organization: Team Bread

#1781 Post by wakagana »

Fungii wrote:Someone motivate me to work.
Someone.
Anyone.
Help (I need somebody) help (not just anybody) help.
wakagana wrote:Feeling Unmotivated to do anything? Feel like you're not good enough at what you want to do?

[youtube]RYlCVwxoL_g&feature=relmfu[/youtube]

This should help.

Aedin
Regular

#1782 Post by Aedin »

Mink wrote:Hm, this talk makes me wonder: what's say about me that I think romantic relationships are pointless?

I think we're long-lost twins or something. That is my exact mindset.

Although, I'm slowly losing faith in friendships as well. Lately, I've just been retreating deeper into myself because of problems with friends. Strange. Last year, I would have rather died than lose these friends, but now, I could see myself being perfectly fine without them. I'm a little introvert who would be happy if I lived alone with my programming and xbox for the rest of my life.

I foresee me in a future with many, many cats.
"There’s no shame in pleasure, Mr. Gray. You see, man just wants to be happy, but society wants him to be good. And when he’s good, man is rarely happy, and when he’s happy he is always good."

Mink
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: Say You Love Me (Short Version), C!P (NaNo12), Lady Misfortune, NatH, W/K, MtF, SMQ, TBM, TMHK, LoC, MMDG
Projects: Stuff
Organization: Metal Orphans

#1783 Post by Mink »

Maybe you just need to make new friends? :/

And long-lost twin FTW!
Sapphi wrote:It says you have a practical mind :)

I've been thinking about this recently, too. My boyfriend and I are waiting until we get married to have sex. We've been together for 4 years now and we have a wonderful relationship. Most of the time I don't even feel like anything is missing :lol:

I think in Western society at least, we've lost a lot of the meaning behind relationships... communities aren't as tightly knit as they used to be, so a sexual relationship is now the ONLY one where hugging, kissing, holding hands etc. is acceptable. It's kind of sad...
If there's anything society's taught me, it's that the only relationships that matter are ones where people are have naked sexy times.

Also, someone only wanting to be friends with you is THE WORST POSSIBLE THING EVER.

Edit: in case I need to clarify this before someone questions it, yes, I'm not incapable of finding people attractive or whatever. It's just that I'm not interested in the bottom half. So I guess I'm...half-asexual. Wait, no, that sounds stupid.
"I will send a fully armed battalion to remind you of my love."

***Say You Love Me***Human Enough***Cheerful!Polymorph [NaNo12][Complete!]***
"Couldn't you stop this?"
"Probably, but I don't want to."

*Website, yo*

LateWhiteRabbit
Eileen-Class Veteran
Projects: The Space Between

#1784 Post by LateWhiteRabbit »

Mink wrote: If there's anything society's taught me, it's that the only relationships that matter are ones where people are have naked sexy times.
That's probably a big part of the reason a lot of marriages fail. A lot of people get hung up on lust, or sexy times, or passion, and forget to figure out whether they LIKE this other person. As a friend. A companion they would be happy to just sit next to forever with NO sexy times involved. Because passion and sexy times don't last forever, and you're going to get long dry spells because of kids, sickness, distance, or just getting old. If you aren't truly 'friends friends' with your spouse, that's when the cracks appear that break everything apart. Or, as one marriage counselor put it, opposites attract, but alikes stay together.

Taleweaver
Writing Maniac
Completed: Metropolitan Blues, The Loyal Kinsman, Daemonophilia, The Dreaming, The Thirteenth Year, Adrift, Bionic Heart 2, Secrets of the Wolf, The Photographer
Projects: The Pilgrim's Path, Elspeth's Garden, Secret Adventure Game!
Organization: Tall Tales Productions

#1785 Post by Taleweaver »

Mink wrote:Edit: in case I need to clarify this before someone questions it, yes, I'm not incapable of finding people attractive or whatever. It's just that I'm not interested in the bottom half. So I guess I'm...half-asexual. Wait, no, that sounds stupid.
You feel the Force. But you cannot control it! This is a dangerous time for you, when you will be tempted by the Dark Side of the Force.
Also, someone only wanting to be friends with you is THE WORST POSSIBLE THING EVER.
Dat. 'Specially when they're constantly send mixed signals. I could tell you stories, but the most interesting ones would make this thread R-rated...
Scriptwriter and producer of Metropolitan Blues
Creator of The Loyal Kinsman
Scriptwriter and director of Daemonophilia
Scriptwriter and director of The Dreaming
Scriptwriter of Zenith Chronicles
Scriptwriter and director of The Thirteenth Year
Scriptwriter and director of Romance is Dead
Scriptwriter and producer of Adrift
More about me in my blog
"Adrift - Like Ever17, but without the Deus Ex Machina" - HigurashiKira