Get that thing off your chest... Now...

Forum organization and occasional community-building.
Forum rules
Questions about Ren'Py should go in the Ren'Py Questions and Announcements forum.
lordshadowisle
Regular

Re: Get that thing off your chest... Now...

#2026 Post by lordshadowisle »

This may be a bit random, but I've got to try to get it off my mind...

I've spent the last few hours vainly searching for a game that I just can't remember enough to get any Google hits on. It's a bit OCD, because I'm not even interested in the game itself, but a 'song' that was in the game!

It's highly unlikely that anyone will know what game I'm talking about, but here's a shot in the dark anyway.

It was a game made in some game jam or design challenge (thus necessarily hard to find any hits on) quite some time ago. The gameplay was: the screen was divided into four areas, each of which was a different task. The controls affected all tasks at the same time, thus you had to multitask (well, until you lost). Unfortunately, I remember little, except that the top-left screen was a jumping puzzle where you controlled some goat (to bring it to some chest), and the bottom-left screen was a 'dating sim' that presented y/n dating questions (a few correct questions obtained a kiss from a man!). The most notable thing about the game was the catchy bgm song, which incidentally explained the game.

Deji
Cheer Idol; Not Great at Secret Identities
Projects: http://bit.ly/2lieZsA
Organization: Sakevisual, Apple Cider, Mystery Parfait
Tumblr: DejiNyucu
Deviantart: DejiNyucu

#2027 Post by Deji »

Keeping a dog outside is rather cruel, considering they're social pack animals =/ Unless you have more than one outside so they can form a pack of sorts themselves, that is.

My first dog, when I was 4 years old, slept in the kitchen at night. She had her bed and all there. She'd hop on the beds and the couches, and she shed a lot X_X;
The second one I had at 12 was allowed to sleep in my bed for a month or so, then she got a bed on the hallway and then was moved to the kitchen. She'd sneak out to the backyard at night and scratch the wall under my window, so I'd open it and let her in x'D
She'd usually nap over the couch or the bed. She also shed a lot >>;

The third dog, Pepa, mom wanted it to sleep in the kitchen, but she would cry and cry and cry unless she was let on the bed (she'd cry to get picked up too!) . She was *very* spoiled by the people that rescued her! She's the one still sleeping with my mom. She's is not allowed on the couches, only on the beds. I rarely allowed her to climb on my bed, so she'd usually sit there and look at me asking for permission when she felt lonely. She doesn't shed as much as the previous dogs we had, but her fur is short, thick and black x_x

And Martina, the fourth dog, she started sleeping in a crate next to my bed when she arrived as a little puppy, but one night I was out and mom let her sleep with her in her bed... after that, we kept spoiling her rotten and she still sleeps in the bed ^^; She's not allowed on the couches either, though she was when she was still small. She doesn't shed much.

We have kept a few dogs outside... or tried to.
One was my cousin's dog that was left at my house when my aunt's family moved to another city. She was a big German Sheppard that was kept outside in the backyard all day. She was miserable ):
The other one was a stray that "fell in love" with this German Sheppard xD We eventually took him in. He'd sleep in the door mat outside at night, while he'd nap on the livingroom and hallway floor during the day.
And the last one was a Boxer I rescued and kept at home while trying to find somebody to adopt her. We tried to keep her outside, but she'd cry a lot, so we let her sleep in the livingroom. She loved sleeping on the couch, so we'd put a blanket for her to sleep there at night.

I agree having a bed and/or a crate for a dog to sleep in is the best you can do (: Unless you don't mind the fur and the smell ^^; (on the good side, it's nice to have a warm huggable cuddly thing in your bed <3)
For a cat is more problematic because they'll just do whatever they want ^^;
Tumblr | Twitter
Forever busy :')
When drawing something, anything, USE REFERENCES!! Use your Google-fu!
Don't trust your memory, and don't blindly trust what others teach you either.
Research, observation, analysis, experimentation and practice are the key! (:

LateWhiteRabbit
Eileen-Class Veteran
Projects: The Space Between

#2028 Post by LateWhiteRabbit »

Deji wrote: And from sleeping with the puppy, my bed and my mom's bed smelled like dog x'D But it's a nice smell when you love your dogs (: (not so much for other people, though ^^; )
That's why I don't like dogs. I hate the stench. It's that oily musk smell they seem to ooze from their pores even when bathed regularly. I hate how I can pet a dog, thoroughly wash my hands with soap, and STILL smell the dog on my hands. So I don't like dogs because they are dirty and smelly. :? Not the dog's fault, but I never pet or touch them if I can help it. And I would certainly never let one in my bed! I hate the obsessive loyalty they show as well. Oh, and they constantly want to lick you, which is gross. :roll:

I'm a cat person, firstly because they don't ever seem to smell, (only their litter box) even if you haven't bathed them in forever, or even if they live outside. Secondly, because they are content to spend alone time by themselves after doing a simple meet and greet with me. A simple leg rub and pet to acknowledge your arrival, then they go off to do their own thing. As an introvert I can appreciate that, while dogs are just super needy and go nuts if you aren't giving them constant attention. They're all, "You left me alone for half an hour! Why don't you love me anymore?!"

Deji

#2029 Post by Deji »

LateWhiteRabbit wrote: That's why I don't like dogs. I hate the stench. It's that oily musk smell they seem to ooze from their pores even when bathed regularly. I hate how I can pet a dog, thoroughly wash my hands with soap, and STILL smell the dog on my hands. So I don't like dogs because they are dirty and smelly. :? Not the dog's fault, but I never pet or touch them if I can help it. And I would certainly never let one in my bed! I hate the obsessive loyalty they show as well. Oh, and they constantly want to lick you, which is gross. :roll:

I'm a cat person, firstly because they don't ever seem to smell, (only their litter box) even if you haven't bathed them in forever, or even if they live outside. Secondly, because they are content to spend alone time by themselves after doing a simple meet and greet with me. A simple leg rub and pet to acknowledge your arrival, then they go off to do their own thing. As an introvert I can appreciate that, while dogs are just super needy and go nuts if you aren't giving them constant attention. They're all, "You left me alone for half an hour! Why don't you love me anymore?!"
My boyfriend is like that! Which sucks, since he loves cats and is very allergic to them.
He hates when I come back from visiting my mom and the dogs, since I smell a lot from playing with them, hugging them, and lying with them on the bed/couch/carpet x'D

I like both dogs and cats, myself :3
I pet dirty stray dogs in the streets and my boyfriend is like "EWWW GET AWAY FROM THAT, I DON'T KNOW YOU Dx" and I'm like "Good dooooooog~~ <333". I also run to pet cats whenever I see one :)

As a matter of fact, I adore getting licked by dogs x'D; I also like getting licked by cats x3
Tumblr | Twitter

Lumella
Regular
Completed: Jose Rizal Visual Novel Game
Projects: Last Cycle's Vision
Organization: Unis

#2030 Post by Lumella »

LateWhiteRabbit wrote:Oh, and they constantly want to lick you, which is gross. :roll:
You can actually conditionally train a dog not to lick or bite you, but you have to start while he's still a puppy. I've done that with my current dog because she plays too rough with us, and has a tendency to leave scratch marks with her teeth when she was still a pup. I don't like getting licked by dogs either. I'm far too much of a clean freak at times.
ImageImageImageImage

Artist. Indie Game Designer. Graphic Designer. 3D Hobbyist.
My VN Project: Last Cycle's Vision / Status: Slowly Active

LateWhiteRabbit
Eileen-Class Veteran

#2031 Post by LateWhiteRabbit »

Lumella wrote:
LateWhiteRabbit wrote:Oh, and they constantly want to lick you, which is gross. :roll:
You can actually conditionally train a dog not to lick or bite you, but you have to start while he's still a puppy. I've done that with my current dog because she plays too rough with us, and has a tendency to leave scratch marks with her teeth when she was still a pup. I don't like getting licked by dogs either. I'm far too much of a clean freak at times.
Oh, I know. I've conditioned my parents' dog not to try and lick me. Whenever I go over to their house and the dog approaches me or tries to get in close for a lick, I just look the dog in the eye and calmly say, "No." The dog immediately halts her advance and sits back away from me, tongue retracted. That dog now looks at me for approval before even approaching me, otherwise she stays at least five feet away.

I've trained most of the cats I've had as well. I can snap my fingers and they'll immediately move to the floor from whatever bed or furniture they are currently on. I can also tell them to follow me and they'll do so, or to move away and do their own thing with an (again) eye contact and calm "Not right now." My mother always joked I'm like a cat whisperer. Really, like the dog, it is all about the eye contact and clearly conveying tone in what you say. Most animals aren't going to understand your words, but with eye contact and tone they'll get the gist and feeling of the message conveyed.

I'll also say I'm CONSISTENT. I never make exceptions, so the animal always knows what behavior or action to associate with a look and command. My parents always wonder why the dog doesn't obey them as well, and it is because they are wildly inconsistent with what they allow the dog to do or not do. With me, the dog always knows where she stands.

Mink
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: Say You Love Me (Short Version), C!P (NaNo12), Lady Misfortune, NatH, W/K, MtF, SMQ, TBM, TMHK, LoC, MMDG
Projects: Stuff
Organization: Metal Orphans

#2032 Post by Mink »

I'm an introvert, but pretty much the only one I show any real affection to is my dog, so I wonder what that says about me. Like, when it comes to my dog, I'll cuddle and play with him all the time. I'm cool with my dog licking me as long as it's not the face. And he sleeps in my bed.

Though maybe because I really like animals, and just dislike people in general.

Which ties into another reason I don't really feel like dating: I don't want someone whining that I'm not affectionate (which I'm not, with people). No. Just...nooo.
"I will send a fully armed battalion to remind you of my love."

***Say You Love Me***Human Enough***Cheerful!Polymorph [NaNo12][Complete!]***
"Couldn't you stop this?"
"Probably, but I don't want to."

*Website, yo*

Lishy
Miko-Class Veteran

#2033 Post by Lishy »

I was very scared when someone I care about began hitting themself again.

The person in question is so frustrated with "gangsters" and selfish (criminal) youth in society that whenever the topic of their idiocy is brought up, the person begins doing impressions to make fun of them and gets so worked up he starts hitting his own forehead with both hands!

Sometimes when the person isn't around anyone else, he would still think of those imitations in his own imagination and start hitting himslf and start JUMPING as well! (Though not hitting himself as badly as in the presence of other people, apparently.)

The person is aware they do these things and disapproves of them, but impulsively continues anyways when he rarely gets worked up. The person says that he hits himself when doing impressions of gangsters (and looters and degenerate delinquents in general) in order to "vent what he wants to do to them."

What specifically happened today is we were talking about how there might be powerfailures on December 21st due to solar flares, so all of a sudden the person started complaining about looters and started an impression what he thought to be their mindset, eventually shouting an imitation of the gangster mindset to make fun of them "Fuck you! I am fucking justified to fucking loot because I want to! FUCK you! FUCK YOU! FUCK YOU! NIGGA NIGGA NIGGA NIGGA NIGGA NIGGA NIGGAAAAA!!!!!!!!!" and he started RAPIDLY whacking his forehead with his clenched fists!

After that the person himself realized after a few seconds he was doing something not normal and he went to bed, shocked at what he had just done to himself.

He had been complaining of a headache all day and this occurred shortly after taking a Tylenol.

Is he possibly bipolar? The person I've known the person for awhile, and I know him VERY well! He is a psychology student too who also says that something is "just not there" with himself. But he has refused the possibility of being bipolar.

The only time I ever see the person hitting themself like this is when they start getting passionate about an injustice in the world from selfish degenerates, and start making an impression of them out of farce while hitting himself.

However, the person is also very concerned of being labelled because it would forever ruin future career opportunities and people would judge him for the condition rather than his character. This is one reason he refuses to seek a therapist, besides money. He is also convinced that it's possible he isn't actually mentally ill, but it's just a bad habit he needs to control.

But when I see that person I love start getting worked up and hitting themselves, I get very scared and traumatized!

So what do you think? Any advice for the person? Do you think something is actually wrong with him, or is it just a bad habit of a politically-obsessed person in an (understandably) messed up world?

The person in question told me to post the post here because he wants your advice.
-

SundownKid
Lemma-Class Veteran
Completed: Icebound, Selenon Rising Ep. 1-2
Projects: Selenon Rising Ep. 3-4
Organization: Fastermind Games
Deviantart: sundownkid

#2034 Post by SundownKid »

Lishy wrote: So what do you think? Any advice for the person? Do you think something is actually wrong with him, or is it just a bad habit of a politically-obsessed person in an (understandably) messed up world?
Nope, that is definitely a sign of some kind of psychological problem. You should most definitely try to get help for him, for all you know it could snowball into something worse.

magbie
Regular

#2035 Post by magbie »

Yeah, and it's better to avoid calling his supposed condition "bipolar" before speaking to psychologist or psychiatrist. It's better to not suggest, or take a suggestion, it just messes up with mind and creates expectations. You might start looking for the symptoms to prove your theory etc. and it might turn out to be something else, so save yourself the stress, it's really not worth it.
I think if he's ready to admit that something is going on with him that he can't explain, he shouldn't wait with the visit. He won't get less scared, and it might get worse.

LateWhiteRabbit
Eileen-Class Veteran

#2036 Post by LateWhiteRabbit »

Lishy wrote: Is he possibly bipolar? The person I've known the person for awhile, and I know him VERY well! He is a psychology student too who also says that something is "just not there" with himself. But he has refused the possibility of being bipolar.
Definitely a psychological problem, but none of that behavior is symptomatic of a bi-polar disorder. Bi-polar people have mood swings that take them into manic or depressive states, not a specific trigger that turns them from normal to nuts. It is very very rare for a bi-polar person to have quick mood swings too - most of the time it takes days to switch moods.

Only a psychologist can say for sure, but it sounds like your friend has unresolved mental or emotional trauma regarding looters or criminals and some kind of self-loathing, self-blame mixed into that issue or trauma.

Deji

#2037 Post by Deji »

I killed my scanner, just when i was about to scan a bunch of watercolor paintings for this VN ;v;
I opened the case to clean the glass, and when I put it back on, the carriage decided to never return up again, no matter what I did D:
I run the hardware test and it failed. I opened everything I could open and couldn't make it work =/

So now I'll have to buy a new one. With my credit card because I don't have the money right now >: (I'm glad I could fix my wacom tablet and didn't have to buy a new one!)

Bright side: The next model listed in the website where I buy stuff is only $10 more expensive and is newer, better, uses less power (feeds on USB) and is thinner. So I guess it's a good improvement (:

EDIT:
New annoying thing! I don't get why some fellow Spanish-speakers get upset I have a website in English, I have a blog in English, my Facebook page is in English (my personal one is not, but then again it's private) and my twitter account is in English when my first language is Spanish and I live in a Spanish speaking country.
It's like I'm a bad human being because 90%+ of my online friends, colleagues, clients and "audience" speak English and I choose to speak in a language they can understand instead of allienating them by writing in a language they don't understand, while "favoring" a minority of people that I may or may not know that speaks Spanish because they'd rather have me write in my mother tongue for some reason I don't even know.

=_____=
Tumblr | Twitter

junna
Veteran
Projects: DreamWalker; History; Adversity Competition

#2038 Post by junna »

Deji wrote: My boyfriend is like that! Which sucks, since he loves cats and is very allergic to them.
How allergic? I'm highly allergic to cats...though probably not to the same thing as him but so far I've coped living with a cat quite good. Though that means I'm a crazy about vacuuming and brushing the cat's hair and (the horror) bathing the cat. And a pack of decongestants at the ready.
He's a huge 15 year old domestic short hair, tips the scales at 6kg dry, and currently is in a 'final home' aka, he's too old and is expected to die. >_> though by the looks of it, he's too healthy to die any time soon. His previous owners named him... Moggy. :lol: unimaginative really.
chibi avvie by Meg (buprettyinpink).
WIP=>Image
Image<=helping out

MaiMai
Yandere
Completed: [Phase Shift]
Projects: [ None ]
Organization: Paper Stars
Tumblr: maiscribbles
Deviantart: maiscribble

#2039 Post by MaiMai »

@Deji

That does seem like a petty complaint although I have to wonder what their reaction is when you bring up the point that a majority of your online audience/colleagues write/read/speak in English. Maybe they think you're being un-Chilean/Spanish either way which is a moot point when you you're trying to communicate with others and achieve an understanding.

Or maybe they do want to read what's on your blog/website/facebook, but don't want to bother reading English :P
Image COMMISSIONS AVAILABLE (check Tumblr sidebar)

LateWhiteRabbit
Eileen-Class Veteran

#2040 Post by LateWhiteRabbit »

Deji wrote: EDIT:
New annoying thing! I don't get why some fellow Spanish-speakers get upset I have a website in English, I have a blog in English, my Facebook page is in English (my personal one is not, but then again it's private) and my twitter account is in English when my first language is Spanish and I live in a Spanish speaking country.
It's like I'm a bad human being because 90%+ of my online friends, colleagues, clients and "audience" speak English and I choose to speak in a language they can understand instead of allienating them by writing in a language they don't understand, while "favoring" a minority of people that I may or may not know that speaks Spanish because they'd rather have me write in my mother tongue for some reason I don't even know.

=_____=
I guess trade and pop culture have spread English to most parts of the globe. I know it is the official international trade language, and I believe English is taking over French as the official language of diplomacy. I'm always amazed when I travel and foreigners know English, or when countries like Japan have signs giving directions in only English with no Japanese to be found on them. As someone that speaks English as my native language, I certainly like it, but I can understand people being upset when successful people from their own native language group seemingly abandon their native tongue for their professional work.

I'm only multilingual in the fact I know a smattering of Latin, simple Japanese (and can read most Japanese written in hiragana or katakana, but not kanji), and enough Spanish to get by in most situations. I can actually read a lot of Spanish fairly decently, as here in America you see Spanish alongside the English on most packaging. That and I had 3 years of Spanish in high school. But I wouldn't consider myself even "conversationally" fluent in any of those languages. I really admire anyone who is fluent in multiple languages.