Get that thing off your chest... Now...

Forum organization and occasional community-building.
Forum rules
Questions about Ren'Py should go in the Ren'Py Questions and Announcements forum.
Blue Lemma
Forum Founder
Completed: ToL, Shoujo Attack!, Lemma Ten
Projects: [RETIRED FROM FORUM ADMINISTRATION - CONTACT PYTOM WITH ISSUES]

Re: Get that thing off your chest... Now...

#2476 Post by Blue Lemma » Fri Jan 25, 2013 5:46 am

Hijiri wrote:Anything anyone can ever say is offensive to somebody. Sometimes we just have to forget what others think and speak our minds.
I don't know when it happened, but somehow the magic moral indignation of "being offended" became like a *good* thing by default instead of meaning you have a simple disagreement or just a personal problem in lacking the mental fortitude to deal with the existence of certain ideas. It's warped into this twisted weapon to be wielded against others who don't share your views 100% to try shutting them up.

I could count the number of times I've truly been offended on one hand probably because if someone says something so ridiculous and wrong, I don't care much about their opinion. I suppose I could get all "WHAT HOW DARE YOU, YOU [idiot/bigot/racist/etc.]" in a lot more cases, but unless it's fraud or something that's directly going to hurt someone, who cares? You just deal. There are idiots everywhere, especially on the internet :roll: And sometimes as your opinions evolve over time, you find that you were the real idiot to begin with ;)

“There is perhaps no phenomenon which contains so much destructive feelings as 'moral indignation,' which permits envy or hate to be acted out under the guise of virtue. The 'indignant' person has for once the satisfaction of despising and treating a creature as 'inferior,' coupled with the feeling of his own superiority and rightness.”
- Erich Fromm

So don't worry about it too much, amorphous, haters gonna hate :P Just don't be a jerk and you'll probably be fine (except for certain controversial topics, where emotion and personal agendas will rule all. Not good to get into if you have anxiety probably.)
“Among those who dislike oppression are many who like to oppress.”
- Napoleon Bonaparte

I've retired from forum administration. I do not add people to the "adult" group, deactivate accounts, nor any other administrative task. Please direct admin/mod issues to PyTom or the other mods : )

Auro-Cyanide
ssǝʇunoƆ ʇɹ∀
Completed: http://auro-cyanide.tumblr.com/visualnovels
Projects: Athena
Organization: Cyanide Tea
Tumblr: auro-cyanide
Deviantart: Auro-Cyanide

#2477 Post by Auro-Cyanide » Fri Jan 25, 2013 6:10 am

Hearing you are getting a bonus is a lot better than getting one. I met all my goals for the half, and the company met it's corporate goals so I almost got my entire at risk payment. Unfortunately, it goes through with your next pay cheque which meant not only did it kick me over my HECS threshold, it also kicked me into the next tax bracket. 30% of my wage went in tax, and another chunk went to HECS. In the end I only got around half of my bonus *sigh*

Blue Lemma
Forum Founder
Completed: ToL, Shoujo Attack!, Lemma Ten
Projects: [RETIRED FROM FORUM ADMINISTRATION - CONTACT PYTOM WITH ISSUES]

#2478 Post by Blue Lemma » Fri Jan 25, 2013 6:18 am

@Auro: That sucks. (I had to look up what HECS was)
Any time I get a bonus, about 40% goes to the government... I guess I should be happy I got it and have a job, but... it's hard to feel good at all about taxes when I hear people openly discussing with each other how they're scamming the welfare system right next to me in line for a train :/
“Among those who dislike oppression are many who like to oppress.”
- Napoleon Bonaparte

I've retired from forum administration. I do not add people to the "adult" group, deactivate accounts, nor any other administrative task. Please direct admin/mod issues to PyTom or the other mods : )

Blane Doyle
Miko-Class Veteran
Organization: Autumn Eclectic

#2479 Post by Blane Doyle » Fri Jan 25, 2013 10:07 am

you know you have become an adult when snow is more of an annoyance no reason to celebrate. No. Go away. I do not want you anymore snow.

ebi brain
Regular
Organization: Zettai Rookie Project

#2480 Post by ebi brain » Fri Jan 25, 2013 10:42 am

I just remembered a scene... Or more just a flicker of that scene.. Of a children's series I used to watch.

I think it's from the UK, and it was based on a book I'd also read.

The only thing I remember is that there's a guy and a girl ( his sister?) and presumably a genie of sorts... Because at one point the girl says something like:" sometimes I wish you had a mouth the size of a pea!!" and *poof* the boy's mouth becomes pea sized and can only eat by drinking soup from a straw.

But... No matter what terms I use in google.... I can't find the title of the book T_T
Since I have our site RSI, I used speech recognition by, sometimes this means I'll make some mistakes. :D

My sketchbook - Come yell at me :D

Auro-Cyanide
ssǝʇunoƆ ʇɹ∀

#2481 Post by Auro-Cyanide » Fri Jan 25, 2013 11:14 am

@Lemma, yeah, I'm very grateful to have a job, and in general I'm grateful for HECS too because I wouldn't have been able to afford it otherwise and it's the cheapest loan I am ever going to get. But still, when you think about how much your bonus is advertised as, what you do the extra work for, compared to what you get... ;_; Oh well, it's not like I'm desperate for it or counting on it.

Another complaint I have is that I am trying to pick out names for some characters and it's sooooooo haaaaaard. I can't even name fictional characters, what the hell am I going to do when I have kids?

Pyonkotchi
Veteran
Projects: Magical Warrior Diamond Heart, unLucky Love, Phantom Thief Asterism
Tumblr: magicalwarriordiamondheart
Deviantart: PastelPyon
itch: Pyonkotchi

#2482 Post by Pyonkotchi » Fri Jan 25, 2013 11:19 am

Blane Doyle wrote:you know you have become an adult when snow is more of an annoyance no reason to celebrate. No. Go away. I do not want you anymore snow.
the first snow of the winter actually started and im not sure if i should be happy or not
on one hand i hate snow no more snow
on the other, its felt like september or october for most of the season, its kind of a relief to see it getting winter-y

Starwulfen
Regular
Projects: Project PeGASuS, Destiny's Spire, The Dragon Call
Organization: Mist Fables

#2483 Post by Starwulfen » Fri Jan 25, 2013 11:23 am

Blane Doyle wrote:you know you have become an adult when snow is more of an annoyance no reason to celebrate. No. Go away. I do not want you anymore snow.
Agreed, I just want it to go away so I feel safe getting my car out onto the road.
At least I work from home, and can walk to the shop for food, so I don't really need to...
ebi brain wrote:I just remembered a scene... Or more just a flicker of that scene.. Of a children's series I used to watch.

I think it's from the UK, and it was based on a book I'd also read.

The only thing I remember is that there's a guy and a girl ( his sister?) and presumably a genie of sorts... Because at one point the girl says something like:" sometimes I wish you had a mouth the size of a pea!!" and *poof* the boy's mouth becomes pea sized and can only eat by drinking soup from a straw.

But... No matter what terms I use in google.... I can't find the title of the book T_T
Might it be "The Queen's Nose"? I remember that having wishing in it, and google tells me there was a book.
Work in Progress - Destiny's Spire
NaNoRenO 2013 - The Dragon Call

akizakura
Regular
Completed: Adversity Comp 2012
Projects: Everything's Going My Way
Organization: Mitayume

#2484 Post by akizakura » Fri Jan 25, 2013 10:27 pm

Haha, agreed. I still like it - when it falls on a non-workday! Our complex is very good about clearing the snow, but they leave the ice alone. I guess they reckon there's no point in even trying, but still...

Zylinder
Veteran

#2485 Post by Zylinder » Fri Jan 25, 2013 11:36 pm

When a person talks to me, and every other sentence starts with 'To be honest...' 'Honestly...' and 'I'll be honest here', I feel like unless exclusively mentioned, I can simply assume that this person is lying to me at all times. >:V

Fungii
Veteran
Completed: Home's Embrace
Projects: Royality TV
Tumblr: fungiidraws
itch: fungii

#2486 Post by Fungii » Fri Jan 25, 2013 11:53 pm

What do you do when you're a visual artist who wants a certain VN idea to come to fruition but you possess no writing skill yourself?

SundownKid
Lemma-Class Veteran
Completed: Icebound, Selenon Rising Ep. 1-2
Projects: Selenon Rising Ep. 3-4
Organization: Fastermind Games
Deviantart: sundownkid

#2487 Post by SundownKid » Fri Jan 25, 2013 11:56 pm

Fungii wrote:What do you do when you're a visual artist who wants a certain VN idea to come to fruition but you possess no writing skill yourself?
You can commission a writer in the same way you commission an artist. I take on freelance writing jobs and I'm sure others would too. A lot of writers are paid by the word count.
Last edited by SundownKid on Fri Jan 25, 2013 11:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Zylinder
Veteran

#2488 Post by Zylinder » Fri Jan 25, 2013 11:56 pm

Fungii wrote:What do you do when you're a visual artist who wants a certain VN idea to come to fruition but you possess no writing skill yourself?
You can always make a detailed outline and then post up a recruitment for a writer. Alternatively, you can save up and hire one for maximum bossing around. Most people are looking for artists and not the other way around, so it should be relatively easy.

SundownKid
Lemma-Class Veteran
Completed: Icebound, Selenon Rising Ep. 1-2
Projects: Selenon Rising Ep. 3-4
Organization: Fastermind Games
Deviantart: sundownkid

#2489 Post by SundownKid » Sat Jan 26, 2013 12:01 am

I would recommend against finding a free writer unless you give them free reign over the story. They will want to write THEIR story and will walk out if you try to force your ideas on them. Commissioning someone allows you to tell them what to write in detail and increases the quality bar as well.

Auro-Cyanide
ssǝʇunoƆ ʇɹ∀

#2490 Post by Auro-Cyanide » Sat Jan 26, 2013 12:07 am

@Fungii, Yeah, you'll get the most control if you hire someone. Though if you want someone for free and want to limit the changes that could happen to your story you need to either look carefully for someone who is on the same wave length as you and so will make similar choices, or you could do a trade of some kind, your art for their story, their writing for your story.