Get that thing off your chest... Now...

Forum organization and occasional community-building.
Forum rules
Questions about Ren'Py should go in the Ren'Py Questions and Announcements forum.
teacup
Holder of Tasty Drinks
Completed: (P)lanets - the life of normalcy has ended
Projects: Circum[N]avigate

Re: Get that thing off your chest... Now...

#2776 Post by teacup »

I feel like I have no friends lately. Literally, none.
I can't remember the last time I hung out with anyone. I moved to a new town, but I didn't expect all the friends I had in my old town to totally forget I existed. D:
It really sucks when you feel like you live a totally pointless/worthless existence. It's just... ugh. Why am I even bothering?

Kuroneko_rg
Veteran
Projects: Dark Pleasures, Kiss of Blood, Midnight Park
Organization: Black Cat Alleyway

#2777 Post by Kuroneko_rg »

teacup wrote:I feel like I have no friends lately. Literally, none.
I can't remember the last time I hung out with anyone. I moved to a new town, but I didn't expect all the friends I had in my old town to totally forget I existed. D:
It really sucks when you feel like you live a totally pointless/worthless existence. It's just... ugh. Why am I even bothering?
Oh my... That feeling is so familiar.
Hang in there Teacup, I wish I could say something better but I suck at encouraging people. *e-hugs*

Sunlit-Dreamer
Veteran
Completed: NaNo2015 Bedtime, NaNo2016 The Doll and the Spider, NaNo2017 What's Your Name?, NaNo2018 Painting Your Skin, NaNo2019 Home's Embrace, NaNo2020 Molly
Projects: NaNo2021 Cracked Moonstone
Deviantart: Sunlit-Dreamer
itch: Sunlit-Dreamer

#2778 Post by Sunlit-Dreamer »

Wish I could give you some advice teacup. Seeing that I myself had to move with my family from one state to another in 2009. I didn't make a single REAL friend here until last year in my Drawing I class. I'm so glad I wore my Miku shirt that day. Made 2 friends in that class, but became GREAT friends with Danell. Sadly, she moved away a few weeks ago to California. Q_Q BUT we still talk via Skype every couple days.

Now as for my friends back in IL, I rarely ever get to talk to them since they're busy with university or their jobs. Perhaps that's what's going on on your end? However, I am not psychic and I don't know the exact details so I could be completely wrong.

Have you explored around the town yet? You never know where you could possibly bump into potential friends. This is one of those times that one must be stubborn, swallow their fear, and make the first move. (Don't wallow in the house for years like I did. DON'T.)
ImageImageImageImage

Razz
Veteran
Completed: Starlight Vega, Catch Canvas, Love Ribbon, Happy Campers, Wolf Tails
Projects: Two projects
Organization: Razzartvisual

#2779 Post by Razz »

I wrote a particularly messed up bad end for one of my games, but I'm too much of a scaredy-cat to put it in. I don't even know why since the bad ends of other games are something I really enjoy if they're messed up, but I just can't bring myself to put this one in my own game.

teacup
Holder of Tasty Drinks

#2780 Post by teacup »

Thanks Kuroneko. You don't suck, it helps ^o^
Sunlit-Dreamer-
I've explored the town a lot- it's really small. The main problem, I think, is that my college is mainly a commuter college so most people live away from school and they only come for class (myself included). It's really hard to make friends when people are here JUST for class and not to actually get involved in stuff or hang around afterwards. The only time to talk to people is right before class and that's usually just meaningless small-talk. How do people make friends through that? I don't get it... >_<
Also, I have bad social anxiety, which really doesn't lead itself well to making friends... I get nervous/shaky just talking to strangers, and I usually have trouble thinking of interesting things to say ;v;
As for my old friends, they've just disappeared completely. I've sent a few of them text messages asking if they wanted to get together and they never replied. I guess they weren't real friends.
Maybe I'm just meant to be alone. I guess I'd better start accepting a life of loneliness ^^; At least I have a cat.

Sunlit-Dreamer
Veteran
Completed: NaNo2015 Bedtime, NaNo2016 The Doll and the Spider, NaNo2017 What's Your Name?, NaNo2018 Painting Your Skin, NaNo2019 Home's Embrace, NaNo2020 Molly
Projects: NaNo2021 Cracked Moonstone
Deviantart: Sunlit-Dreamer
itch: Sunlit-Dreamer

#2781 Post by Sunlit-Dreamer »

Actually kinda sounds similar to my situation. Town is a farm town, which stinks. Literally. Seriously, you can't breathe. Enough of that.

And that's pretty much why I didn't make any new friends except for that one. I keep to myself and never attempted to talk to anyone unless we had to do a project together or for my job. Even back in Illinois I was always too scared to mingle with the others, especially with choir. (I even hyperventilated and broke out sobbing in the middle of my "speech" in Government class) At dances, I stayed to myself sipping my soda. At parties my family was invited to here, just sipping soda and eating. Never trying to talk to anyone. The results? Forever alone. Point being, I was extremely lucky to get that one friend.

What I mean to say is, you need to take one baby step at a time. I'm not telling you to walk up to a stranger and have a conversation with them. Start slow. You have your neighbors, and possibly family acquaintances. (However that word is spelled) Say hi to them, chat a tiny bit, and move on to whatever you were doing. Shopping? Ask the store associates if you don't know the layout of the store yet. As for your classmates, just discuss the assignment. Just find someone you usually sit next to, seems friendly, or also seems to be shy like you are. (Or look for tiny hints that they might possibly have similar interests) Or even talk to the teacher a little after class if they're that kind.

As for the town, is there any place that you like? Like a Hastings or whatever. Even a small bookstore? (Err wait those are my kinds of places...bah.) Surely there's at least one? Or the surroundings? Hopefully not a desert. ._.

As for those "friends"...yeah, not true friends. REAL friends would attempt to contact you. Which is how I found out as well.

And no, you're not "meant to be alone". Everyone has friends. They just change over the years because we, well, pretty much change. Personalities will conflict, interests will clash, and even the "best of friends" could possibly become the worst of enemies. (I can name so many "examples" from my little sister's list of former friends.)

It's just as I mentioned before, there are times you have to step out of your comfort zone. JUST not all at once or suddenly. Take your time with this all right? Either way, it's all up to you and how far you're willing to go out of your comfort zone as the time passes. (I repeat my warning from my former post. Don't take years. Q_Q)
ImageImageImageImage

Deji
Cheer Idol; Not Great at Secret Identities
Projects: http://bit.ly/2lieZsA
Organization: Sakevisual, Apple Cider, Mystery Parfait
Tumblr: DejiNyucu
Deviantart: DejiNyucu

#2782 Post by Deji »

@teacup: over here, no college/university has dorms or anything, so everybody just goes there for class, then goes home.
I remember when I started engineering school (I spent a semester there before deciding I really wanted to draw instead of study numbers and stuff for 7 years), I'd return home crying because in all the day I hadn't even open my mouth to say a single word, and I thought that was depressing as hell. I was lucky I had my boyfriend then, and we'd talk over the phone and we'd meet after class sometimes.

Now, what did we do to make friends? We usually'd start with small talk. Talk about where each of us came from, talk about the subjects, the teachers, talk during breaks, before the teachers arrived, right after class... sometimes one person would say "hey, I'm hungry, let's go eat some fries and have a beer!" Or we'd hang out at lunch. I was really happy the first time somebody included me in their small talk and I could make conversation (: (I was also very timid and socially anxious back then, now I take meds for it and I talk to everybody I can make an excuse to talk to, and even make eye contact! It's awesome ;v; )

I made a few good friends and one best friend like that, though when I switched careers I lost contact with pretty much all of them; it was nice while it lasted (:
Tumblr | Twitter
Forever busy :')
When drawing something, anything, USE REFERENCES!! Use your Google-fu!
Don't trust your memory, and don't blindly trust what others teach you either.
Research, observation, analysis, experimentation and practice are the key! (:

Blane Doyle
Miko-Class Veteran
Organization: Autumn Eclectic

#2783 Post by Blane Doyle »

I have to work for the next 28 hours and only get a 4 hour break to take a nap between two 12 hour shifts.

Lovely.

Mephala
Regular

#2784 Post by Mephala »

teacup wrote:Thanks Kuroneko. You don't suck, it helps ^o^
Sunlit-Dreamer-
I've explored the town a lot- it's really small. The main problem, I think, is that my college is mainly a commuter college so most people live away from school and they only come for class (myself included). It's really hard to make friends when people are here JUST for class and not to actually get involved in stuff or hang around afterwards. The only time to talk to people is right before class and that's usually just meaningless small-talk. How do people make friends through that? I don't get it... >_<
Also, I have bad social anxiety, which really doesn't lead itself well to making friends... I get nervous/shaky just talking to strangers, and I usually have trouble thinking of interesting things to say ;v;
As for my old friends, they've just disappeared completely. I've sent a few of them text messages asking if they wanted to get together and they never replied. I guess they weren't real friends.
Maybe I'm just meant to be alone. I guess I'd better start accepting a life of loneliness ^^; At least I have a cat.
I'm not sure how many friends you texted and how many times, but I can tell you this. Sometimes, shit just doesn't work out. I make an effort to snap a quick reply to friends straight away but I know that most of my friends do not do this. Especially when trying to organise time to hang out. It is because they want to but are uncertain if they can keep the appointment or have a lot of other stuff going on. They don't want to disappoint and at the end of the day, they are forgetful and busy. :lol:. Honestly, I can't blame them. Try not to throw all your friends out the door just yet. ;)

Meant to be alone is kind of rubbish. Being alone isn't bad, but feeling lonely is no good at all. If it helps any, you can send me a PM or fifteen, just to chat. Maybe we can be friends. Strangely enough, I made the most friends at my university, not trying to make friends at all. Rather, trying to find some form of employment to support myself. I literally went around each department, store, shop, restaurant and BEGGED for a part time. :lol:. Just be honest, be curious and a little polite. Hold some smiles ready to be thrown at people. Everything starts with casual chatter. Its easier when you're friendly and easy going, I'm not, really, but I pretended to be.

Deji
Cheer Idol; Not Great at Secret Identities
Projects: http://bit.ly/2lieZsA
Organization: Sakevisual, Apple Cider, Mystery Parfait
Tumblr: DejiNyucu
Deviantart: DejiNyucu

#2785 Post by Deji »

I... I'm in a bit of a shock.
Last year, I rescued a dog from the street, that was injured pretty badly. I raised funds to pay for her surgeries and took care of her while living with my mom, and later when I moved out, I'd go feed her and take care of her. She is a huge, adorable Boxer/Mastiff, but she hates cats and gets aggressive wit other dogs, so she started injuring my mom's dog... they fought daily and got a lot of scars out of it ):
Anyway... I found a temporary home for her after many months, with the father of an animal rescuer girl I contacted over facebook. It was love at first sight and he adopted her right away. See got fat and happy! I was sent pictures and videos of her every now and then.

This morning I found a message on FB from this girl... her father killed himself and she desperately needed a temporary home for the dog, since he lived alone and it was a rented house. She's now at a small apartment and nobody from her side can take her in...

I met this man. He invited me and my mom into his house when we gave him the dog, he was a nice guy... I never knew somebody that later killed themselves. It's... shocking. I can barely imagine what people feel like when it's a friend or a family member instead of a person that you just talked with one day. All the people I knew that died, passed away due illnesses and old age... One of them died in a car accident...
Man...

Now, I'll do my best to find this lovely dog a new home, or pay for a temporary home if needed. She's adorable and she deserves a home.
Tumblr | Twitter
Forever busy :')
When drawing something, anything, USE REFERENCES!! Use your Google-fu!
Don't trust your memory, and don't blindly trust what others teach you either.
Research, observation, analysis, experimentation and practice are the key! (:

projektai

#2786 Post by projektai »

Gosh, I know that feeling.
I moved to a new town for university and I don't know anyone. It's pretty miserable. ; ^ ;
I have pretty bad social anxiety, so I fail at making new friends. That's why I love the internet, it doesn't freak me out nearly as much to just jump into a conversation and meet people. Even if it is... virtual... (;△;)

Hang in there, teacup. I never mind chatting if you need the company.
That goes for everyone (〃 ̄ω ̄〃ゞ

teacup
Holder of Tasty Drinks

#2787 Post by teacup »

Everyone, thank you so much for taking the time to type all of that and give me advice.
You actually gave me some ideas of things to try when I go back! (I've been in my hometown all weekend, I needed to escape for a while >_<)
I should stop expecting to make friends instantly and just take slower steps to get there.
As for places I like, there's a really nice coffee shop that's open until ~2 AM... maybe I should start by going there, instead of staying in my room all day. :>
And it sucks finding out the hard way that your 'friends' are not real friends. Not a single one of them has contacted me since I moved. Not to check on me, nothing! And yeah, I get that things don't work out or that they're busy, but it's been 8 months. Come on. I know they could have at least texted me back once.

@projektai
Your situation sounds almost exactly like mine. I have plenty of online friends, and while those are great, it just feels so... unreal that it isn't really satisfying >n<; If only I was as talkative in real life as I am online!

projektai

#2788 Post by projektai »

Yeah, I know how you feel teacup.
I hope you make friends, even if it's in baby steps.
I'll be rooting for you! :3

rock_an9el
Regular
Completed: Midnight's Cafe, Phantom of the Hospital
Projects: Hush hush
Organization: Hidden Masquerade
Tumblr: hidden-masquerade

#2789 Post by rock_an9el »

@Deji
I love dogs and I wish I could take her, but I don't live anywhere near Chile. :( I really, really hope you will find her a good home. I'm also sorry for what happened to the girls father. It's so sad... I think I couldn't handle if something like that happened to someone I care about.

@teacup, @projektai
I know how it feels when you move to a now place and don't know anyone... especially if it's the kind of place where everyone knows everything about everyone.
But you'll see, over time you will find somebody. I found a best friend for life. I managed to forget about my fear about talking to new people, and it just happened.
I really wish you luck with finding people. :) It's hard, but it's worth it.
Image Image Image

Pyonkotchi
Veteran
Projects: Magical Warrior Diamond Heart, unLucky Love, Phantom Thief Asterism
Tumblr: magicalwarriordiamondheart
Deviantart: PastelPyon
itch: Pyonkotchi

#2790 Post by Pyonkotchi »

Some person randomly pm'd me on DA accusing me of art theft, saying I stole from their friend
Their evidence was that I improve too quickly. apparently it's impossible to show fast improvement ever and everyone is the same.

I'm so done with Deviantart omg
Brb gonna break into an art museum now