Get that thing off your chest... Now...

Forum organization and occasional community-building.
Forum rules
Questions about Ren'Py should go in the Ren'Py Questions and Announcements forum.
LateWhiteRabbit
Eileen-Class Veteran
Projects: The Space Between

Re: Get that thing off your chest... Now...

#4261 Post by LateWhiteRabbit »

JumpJump wrote:
LVUER wrote:This is why we go digital
For some pictures, I do my best to avoid digital colouring or manipulation. I guess you can say I'm lazy.
:shock: You think working TRADITIONALLY is lazy? Most people look at it the opposite way. I certainly do. Half the reason I work digitally is because I am impatient and too lazy to go out and buy art supplies constantly or mix the proper amount of oil into oil paints, or wait for layers to dry, etc. The other half of the reason is that I am a cheap bastard. As you've already discovered, a nice computer, software, and tablet only looks expensive until you're paying $30+ dollars in materials per art piece.
JumpJump wrote:
MaiMai wrote:Unfortunately, no (although I don't really know your needs or what your goal is art wise or what other materials you use). Prisma markers are very bold in colors and each one is half the price of an individual Copic: http://www.dickblick.com/products/prism ... rt-markers
My needs are along these lines.
DSC_0098 (Medium).jpg
I'll give the Prisma markers a look.
Most of the high quality art materials run out quickly because they are high quality. Copic Markers are not stingy with the alcohol and pigment released when you make a mark - that's why the color is so good and blends so well.
JumpJump wrote:
MaiMai wrote:Like I said though, the cost of art markers stack up quickly compared to other traditional mediums (probably more expensive than those are oil paints or painting materials in general). You might want to rethink making purchases and pursuing coloring from a different and more affordable angle. (Watercolors or colored pencils come to mind if you're sticking to traditional)
Still got my watercolours. I did quite a few things using them. I also have some really nice colouring pencils. Sadily, I don't get that strong tone/colour I'm looking for.
What coloring pencils do you use? Frankly, I've found everything but Prismacolor Colored Pencils are subpar. You also don't want to use the Verithin versions of Prismacolor's (which are cheaper) unless you are using them for detailing. The main work should be done with their Softcore Line, and you should invest in several Colorless Blending pencils to use to burnish the colors and create that oil paint look. You'll need to build up and blend colors gradually, and after everything is done you'll be wiping white waxy build-up off the finished piece for weeks or months afterward.

Unfortunately, you'll have the same problems you do with Copic Markers. Prismacolor Pencils are a dollar or more apiece, and you'll go through several per piece of finished artwork.
(Colored pencils are my only and main traditional media jam still.)

JumpJump
Veteran
Projects: 9413
Organization: 2wo dollars

#4262 Post by JumpJump »

LateWhiteRabbit wrote:What coloring pencils do you use? Frankly, I've found everything but Prismacolor Colored Pencils are subpar.
I have Prismacolor. I was lucky to get a ebay discount from doing online surveys. With that I was able to get these pricey pencils. 48 with 2 blenders for £24.99 (£0.00 with the discount). :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
LateWhiteRabbit wrote: You think working TRADITIONALLY is lazy?
Yep! There are 12 step instructions on the web on how to do a curved line with the pen tool in photoshop. I just can't be bothered to do all that reading.

I'm going to get my watercolours out and see what I can do.
Last edited by JumpJump on Wed Jul 30, 2014 5:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
"You are the master of understatement, chief. You had a foursome with the Elephant Man and a couple of foreign princesses. I'd head on out before the paparazzi arrive, if I were you." - Barry the time travelling sprout

Old and new, whatever you want. All is here.

LVUER
King of Lolies
Completed: R.S.P

#4263 Post by LVUER »

Actually, most people (or at least ALL my acquaintances who work as professional illustrator) claims that digital artist are the lazy one... and I think they are right (I'm a digital artist btw). Also traditional artist have "more value" than digital one in the market. Or so they claim...

- There is no undo in traditional. One stroke and it's final.
- There is no layer in traditional.
- There is no fancy effect in traditional, no editing, no masking, no nothing...
- Traditional have to buy all those expensive equipments over and over and over again. While digital need to buy only ONCE.
- Traditional have to buy new canvas or art paper every time. Digital only need to press CTRL+N.

Need more reason that digital is far lazier than traditional one?
"Double the princesses, quadruple the fun!" - Haken Browning (SRW-OG Endless Frontier)

DeviantArt Account
MoeToMecha Blog (under construction)
Lolicondria Blog (under construction) <- NSFW

MaiMai
Yandere
Completed: [Phase Shift]
Projects: [ None ]
Organization: Paper Stars
Tumblr: maiscribbles
Deviantart: maiscribble

#4264 Post by MaiMai »

JumpJump wrote: Yep! There are 12 step instructions on the web on how to do a curved live with the pen tool in photoshop. I just can't be bothered to do all that reading.

I'm going to get my watercolours out and see what I can do.
If you can draw a line with a pen or pencil, you can draw a line in Photoshop without ever touching the pen tool.

In all seriousness though, with digital it's only hard if you over think it.
Image COMMISSIONS AVAILABLE (check Tumblr sidebar)

mugenjohncel
Hentai Poofter
Organization: Studio Mugenjohncel

#4265 Post by mugenjohncel »

As recommended but... I feel so dirty right now. I paid Facebook to promote one of my posts in one of my websites because F*** Philippine Government / MMDA / DPWH / NDRRMC... no wait... I love NDRRMC... :mrgreen:

Anyway, here's my rant...
http://nofloods.solterraph.com/?p=363

I just hope it reaches my intended audience... This better be worth it... ;_;

Edit: ZOMG!... My stats are running like crazy... BUT WHO THE HELL ARE THESE PEOPLE CLICKING ON MY AD!?...

"POOF" (Disappears)

curry nochi rice
Miko-Class Veteran
Projects: Delicatessen, Whom to Notice, Start of Something, Love Sorcery
Organization: Circle Cosine
IRC Nick: Curry
itch: project-rothera

#4266 Post by curry nochi rice »

Was doing a quick tally on the games (for my LSF Stat Study) on the first 5 pages of the WIP.

To my surprise, there's 95 GxB projects in the works. I don't find it exactly disturbing though, after all this is the EVN world, not the BxG dominated JP market.
Personal (R-13) | Now at IndieDB | Circle Cosine's itch.io
I wanna be done.

Lishy
Miko-Class Veteran

#4267 Post by Lishy »

Huh.. for the past few weeks, I've had this weird symptom where whenever I am laying in bed or sitting in place for a long time, my body gets incredibly restless. As in, I have to rapidly move my feet back and forth, sometimes I have to continuously bend and unbend my leg or roll it back and forth. It's getting worse, where now I'm doing pelvic thrust...

It's really weird, and not something I consciously do per se. If I don't bend my leg for example, it feels like my muscles tensing and feels incredibly restless. Luckily it's only something that happens while I'm in bed... If it were to happen in public, I would die of embarrassment... It looks like something a retard would do.

Looked up the symptoms and got this:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Restless_legs_syndrome

But still, really weird. I do hope it's nothing neurological and serious... I did split my head open when I was a kid, but that was DECADES ago!

I'm assuming the cause is an iron deficiency, since all I eat for most of my meals are bread with cheese. Can anyone please recommend me good food for treating an iron deficiency?

Oh yeah, I still have chest pains too.
-

Akitsuki
Veteran
Deviantart: ak-itsuki
Discord: fsalmon#5522

#4268 Post by Akitsuki »

My family always complains when I laugh while watching comedy anime. They keep saying I sound weird and creepy. I mean, I can't help it, can I? I naturally make that sound whenever I laugh, so even if you tell me that hundreds times, it's not like I can change the way I laugh. It's kinda annoying actually, to be told like that... It sounds like I'm not allowed to laugh at all. But I'm not trying to bother them on purpose either! Ugh, this is rather depressing...

dorne
Regular

#4269 Post by dorne »

There was alot of hail when I went home yesterday.

http://youtu.be/XCaXzanl83I
A Tale of a Meeting. A short sci-fi VN featuring space opera in one part of the universe.

Dorne's Lets Read Visual Novels
https://www.youtube.com/user/dornevn/videos

thebackup
Veteran
Completed: Final Week, CardioQuiz, Cafe Memoria, All I Want for Christmas is a Girlfriend, Dating Sim! Re:Mastered, Dating Sim! Luna's Lovely Summer
Projects: Memoria (on hiatus), Cafe Memoria Deux (cancelled)
Organization: PixaelSoft
itch: thebackup

#4270 Post by thebackup »

Lishy wrote:I'm assuming the cause is an iron deficiency, since all I eat for most of my meals are bread with cheese. Can anyone please recommend me good food for treating an iron deficiency?

I'm no nutritionist, but it seems like lack of meat in your diet. Might want to add roast beef or turkey to your bread and cheese. Vegetables will help too.

Have you considered going to the doctor and getting a check up?

curry nochi rice
Miko-Class Veteran
Projects: Delicatessen, Whom to Notice, Start of Something, Love Sorcery
Organization: Circle Cosine
IRC Nick: Curry
itch: project-rothera

#4271 Post by curry nochi rice »

Lishy wrote:Huh.. for the past few weeks, I've had this weird symptom where whenever I am laying in bed or sitting in place for a long time, my body gets incredibly restless. As in, I have to rapidly move my feet back and forth, sometimes I have to continuously bend and unbend my leg or roll it back and forth. It's getting worse, where now I'm doing pelvic thrust...

It's really weird, and not something I consciously do per se. If I don't bend my leg for example, it feels like my muscles tensing and feels incredibly restless. Luckily it's only something that happens while I'm in bed... If it were to happen in public, I would die of embarrassment... It looks like something a retard would do.

Looked up the symptoms and got this:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Restless_legs_syndrome

But still, really weird. I do hope it's nothing neurological and serious... I did split my head open when I was a kid, but that was DECADES ago!

I'm assuming the cause is an iron deficiency, since all I eat for most of my meals are bread with cheese. Can anyone please recommend me good food for treating an iron deficiency?

I experience what doctors call "tremors" which my limbs just shake when extended/not relaxed. It's from my hyperthyroidism. A year ago the shaking was so bad I lost my strength and went down on the floor... and that was due to hypokalemia (severe lack of potassium).

Well as for the food, livers are a great source of iron. :lol:
Personal (R-13) | Now at IndieDB | Circle Cosine's itch.io
I wanna be done.

JumpJump
Veteran
Projects: 9413
Organization: 2wo dollars

#4272 Post by JumpJump »

I think I just broke my little toe.
"You are the master of understatement, chief. You had a foursome with the Elephant Man and a couple of foreign princesses. I'd head on out before the paparazzi arrive, if I were you." - Barry the time travelling sprout

Old and new, whatever you want. All is here.

Rinima
Eileen-Class Veteran
Projects: WtRF
Organization: Harmonic Dreams
IRC Nick: Rinima or Charlie
Deviantart: Emlindes

#4273 Post by Rinima »

JumpJump wrote:I think I just broke my little toe.
Whoops. Shame you can't really do anything for it.

I sometimes hate people that are in-charge of interviews for jobs. I had to call up 3 times over the past week asking about this job that I was interviewed for, only to be told I didn't have it (which I don't mind to much, since I got offered a different, probably slightly better job elsewhere), and that it had been decided for the last week -_-

IF IT'S BEEN DECIDED FOR THE LAST GOD DAMN WEEK, WHY WASN'T I TOLD THE LAST THREE TIMES I CALLED?

Geeze, must they be so inconsiderate and rude... I could have been relying on that job! The lest you could blood do is tell me if I fuc*ing got it!

Of course, this has nothing to do with the fact that because I didn't get that job, I can't go to college now...

Also, my feels got trampled on ;~; Sometimes I dislike Hetalia...
Pronouns: They/them or He/him

mugenjohncel
Hentai Poofter
Organization: Studio Mugenjohncel

#4274 Post by mugenjohncel »

After 3 years of on and off playing God Eater Burst (PSP), I finally beat the game (my hands hurt)... Why does Shio-Chan have to leave for the moon!? ;_;

Seriously, the farewell scene of Shio blasting off to the moon... it's been a long time since a game moved me very emotionally... I sort of got attached to the characters...

"POOF" (Disappears)

Caveat Lector
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Colette and Becca
Projects: Rainbow Love (HIATUS), The Haunting of Blackbird School, Cry of the Roses [TBA]
Organization: Velveteen Rabbit Productions
Deviantart: Velveteen-Rabbit-CL
itch: caveat_lector

#4275 Post by Caveat Lector »

Stupidity and ignorance are the greatest enemies to the human race.
Reader Beware!

The Haunting of Blackbird School: In Progress

Colette and Becca: Complete