Get that thing off your chest... Now...

Forum organization and occasional community-building.
Forum rules
Questions about Ren'Py should go in the Ren'Py Questions and Announcements forum.
SusanTheCat
Miko-Class Veteran

Re: Get that thing off your chest... Now...

#4351 Post by SusanTheCat »

The saga of the lump.
I have a lump on my left shoulder that has been bothering me for a couple of months. (My left arm has been occasionally going numb for years, but that may not be related)

I was able to get a biopsy quickly because somebody else cancelled.

And the results were inconclusive.

It ISN'T a tumor, a cyst, or a lipoma. All it looks like is a giant fat muscle. (About the size of a golf ball) I just had a C.T. Scan and should have results soon-ish.

Yay! it not being a tumor. SIGH, we still don't know what it is.

Susan
" It's not at all important to get it right the first time. It's vitally important to get it right the last time. "
— Andrew Hunt and David Thomas

thebackup
Veteran
Completed: Final Week, CardioQuiz, Cafe Memoria, All I Want for Christmas is a Girlfriend, Dating Sim! Re:Mastered, Dating Sim! Luna's Lovely Summer
Projects: Memoria (on hiatus), Cafe Memoria Deux (cancelled)
Organization: PixaelSoft
itch: thebackup

#4352 Post by thebackup »

That Emergency Alert System that pops up on your TV from time to time really gives me the chills. It's the buzzing noise, along with the white on gray background that gets to me. It's kind of like it's telling me, "you're going to die!" :shock:

Yeah. Had one earlier today, about a severe thunder thunderstorm warning. At least it's effective at getting your attention.

Caveat Lector
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Colette and Becca
Projects: Rainbow Love (HIATUS), The Haunting of Blackbird School, Cry of the Roses [TBA]
Organization: Velveteen Rabbit Productions
Deviantart: Velveteen-Rabbit-CL
itch: caveat_lector

#4353 Post by Caveat Lector »

Does anyone ever have one of those moments where you sit back and go "Okay, I know what I want to do with my life, but what am I actually doing with my life?"? A common question I get asked about my English major is what I plan to do with it, and peoples' first assumption is typically that I plan to go into journalism (which I don't). I've always thought of just hoping to get published and making a living off of any job I can find unless or until I make enough money off of whatever I publish to the point where I don't need that extra job, but beyond that, what is there to do? I'm leaning more towards finding some way to speak my mind and get paid for it--writing up reviews or opinion articles. I already enjoy doing that for my school magazine, and I think I can see myself doing this for a living outside of school. At the very least, it would be something I enjoy. But even then, would that be enough to pay the bills and support myself indefinitely?
Reader Beware!

The Haunting of Blackbird School: In Progress

Colette and Becca: Complete

curry nochi rice
Miko-Class Veteran
Projects: Delicatessen, Whom to Notice, Start of Something, Love Sorcery
Organization: Circle Cosine
IRC Nick: Curry
itch: project-rothera

#4354 Post by curry nochi rice »

Caveat Lector wrote:Does anyone ever have one of those moments where you sit back and go "Okay, I know what I want to do with my life, but what am I actually doing with my life?"? A common question I get asked about my English major is what I plan to do with it, and peoples' first assumption is typically that I plan to go into journalism (which I don't). I've always thought of just hoping to get published and making a living off of any job I can find unless or until I make enough money off of whatever I publish to the point where I don't need that extra job, but beyond that, what is there to do? I'm leaning more towards finding some way to speak my mind and get paid for it--writing up reviews or opinion articles. I already enjoy doing that for my school magazine, and I think I can see myself doing this for a living outside of school. At the very least, it would be something I enjoy. But even then, would that be enough to pay the bills and support myself indefinitely?

Just a suggestion:
You might want to apply at the Japanese JET program. You can apply there as an Alternative Language Teacher. The requirements are as simple as a 4 year bachelor's course (I'm not sure if an English major is a 4 year course) or a 2 year teacher's course (if I remember it correctly)

It's a 1 year, 3 million yen contract if you're accepted. You can do it for 5 years. If you're successful in this endeavor, you have a good chance to get employed as an ALT in a private school (that if you apply).

P.S. I've always wanted to apply, but then I'm not a native English speaker so my chances are pretty low.
Personal (R-13) | Now at IndieDB | Circle Cosine's itch.io
I wanna be done.

Caveat Lector
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Colette and Becca
Projects: Rainbow Love (HIATUS), The Haunting of Blackbird School, Cry of the Roses [TBA]
Organization: Velveteen Rabbit Productions
Deviantart: Velveteen-Rabbit-CL
itch: caveat_lector

#4355 Post by Caveat Lector »

In this case, "English" means "Literature", not "Language". Sorry about that, should've been clearer. And my Japanese isn't 100% perfect. But heh, I wish I could go to Japan! Now if only I had the money for it...
Reader Beware!

The Haunting of Blackbird School: In Progress

Colette and Becca: Complete

curry nochi rice
Miko-Class Veteran
Projects: Delicatessen, Whom to Notice, Start of Something, Love Sorcery
Organization: Circle Cosine
IRC Nick: Curry
itch: project-rothera

#4356 Post by curry nochi rice »

Caveat Lector wrote:In this case, "English" means "Literature", not "Language". Sorry about that, should've been clearer. And my Japanese isn't 100% perfect. But heh, I wish I could go to Japan! Now if only I had the money for it...
I see, and oh you don't need to be a 100% proficient in Japanese. I suggest you read further... :oops: but... native-speaker advantage /shots

Anyway been away for at least 24 hours now, been dealing with this OVERPOWERED stat issue as of late, but it seems to have stabilized now (because of a new algorithm, the 7th one). ;_; but then welp.
Personal (R-13) | Now at IndieDB | Circle Cosine's itch.io
I wanna be done.

JumpJump
Veteran
Projects: 9413
Organization: 2wo dollars

#4357 Post by JumpJump »

As of the last few days, I've been really tired. I have been pushed beyond my physical and emotional limit. And I'm almost to the point of dropping everything. My body is crying for some R&R, but I have to keep moving as I am nowhere finished. I really don't need this s***.
"You are the master of understatement, chief. You had a foursome with the Elephant Man and a couple of foreign princesses. I'd head on out before the paparazzi arrive, if I were you." - Barry the time travelling sprout

Old and new, whatever you want. All is here.

Applegate
Miko-Class Veteran

#4358 Post by Applegate »

I study law. If I say so myself, I'm a pretty good student of law and have a good grasp of what is going on. In Europe, we have codified law, meaning there's a book with all these laws written down, and it even features definitions for some crimes. One of these crimes is theft.

Someone asks me, "If someone asks for my car papers to take care of taxes for me, then goes around and uses those papers to register the car to his own name, is that theft?"

I answer in the affirmative, and someone else mixes in, saying that, "In my opinion, that's not theft, that's just you being stupid."
After two hours of arguing (one has to wonder why I try...), I was not able to convince this person that law isn't a matter of opinion or not, it's a matter of whether the situation fits the definition given in the law, and the law very specifically says that taking away someone else's property so you can own it yourself is a case of theft, and that there's also some deceit going on. That person still insists that "in my opinion it isn't theft", and that it's their opinion and I should respect that.

It feels like I just tried arguing with someone that the sky is blue, and they replied that, "in my opinion, the sky is green."

Frustrated.

Hijiri
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: Death Rule:lost code Overdrive Edition, Where the White Doves Rest-Tsumihanseishi
Projects: Death Rule: Killing System
Organization: MESI Games
IRC Nick: Hizi
Tumblr: mesigames
itch: hijiri

#4359 Post by Hijiri »

Applegate wrote:I study law. If I say so myself, I'm a pretty good student of law and have a good grasp of what is going on. In Europe, we have codified law, meaning there's a book with all these laws written down, and it even features definitions for some crimes. One of these crimes is theft.

Someone asks me, "If someone asks for my car papers to take care of taxes for me, then goes around and uses those papers to register the car to his own name, is that theft?"

I answer in the affirmative, and someone else mixes in, saying that, "In my opinion, that's not theft, that's just you being stupid."
After two hours of arguing (one has to wonder why I try...), I was not able to convince this person that law isn't a matter of opinion or not, it's a matter of whether the situation fits the definition given in the law, and the law very specifically says that taking away someone else's property so you can own it yourself is a case of theft, and that there's also some deceit going on. That person still insists that "in my opinion it isn't theft", and that it's their opinion and I should respect that.

It feels like I just tried arguing with someone that the sky is blue, and they replied that, "in my opinion, the sky is green."

Frustrated.
The cops or the judge ain't going to care if its their opinion, the law is the law. But some people just don't learn unless its the hard way. I salute your attempts, though.
Image Image
"Perfection goal that always changes. Can pursue, cannot obtain."

Shinoki
Veteran
Completed: tender feelings like water, Follower A, Moon Archer Shooting Stars, Heart's Blight, from that moment she neglected the world
Projects: Pomegranate Fruit
itch: 4noki

#4360 Post by Shinoki »

The streetlight at the end of my street loves to turn off periodically, and it seems to love turning off when I'm walking to a bus stop at 6 in the morning... =w= ...ghosts, don't come here! (Though I'm well aware that the likelihood of ghosts existing is puny)

Morhighan
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: AIdol, When Our Journey Ends, Forgotten Not Lost
Organization: MysteryCorgi
Tumblr: MysteryCorgi
Deviantart: MysteryCorgi
Soundcloud: MysteryCorgi
itch: MysteryCorgi

#4361 Post by Morhighan »

Summary of the last two days:
-ER visit
-My arm randomly stopped working
-House almost caught fire (someone dropped their cigarette in our recycling bin which was full of cardboard and sitting against the house)

chocojax
Miko-Class Veteran
Projects: Umbra, Familiarity, Maleficent Justice
Tumblr: chocojax

#4362 Post by chocojax »

Morhighan wrote:Summary of the last two days:
-ER visit
-My arm randomly stopped working
-House almost caught fire (someone dropped their cigarette in our recycling bin which was full of cardboard and sitting against the house)
Have you tried
turning your arm off and on again? :P
Hope you get better though. My house almost caught on fire the same exact way a couple of years ago too! :D

wendlierie

#4363 Post by wendlierie »

I really...really...absolutely....horrifyingly cannot stand people with bad emotional quotient X.X

During my family gathering, many of my cousins have a bad temper =.=

/sigh/ It always kills the mood, and no one wants to back down either.

LinovaA

#4364 Post by LinovaA »

Nothing in real life can make me cry..

One might think that is a good thing, but no.. it actually really really sucks. Crying is a biological release of built up emotions and stress. The only way I can cry is if I watch a particularly sad movie/anime or if I go through certain VNs.. but even now I am beginning to stop even there.

Sometime it would just be nice to just let it all out ya know?

breadslam
Regular
Tumblr: breadslam

#4365 Post by breadslam »

LinovaA wrote:Nothing in real life can make me cry..

One might think that is a good thing, but no.. it actually really really sucks. Crying is a biological release of built up emotions and stress. The only way I can cry is if I watch a particularly sad movie/anime or if I go through certain VNs.. but even now I am beginning to stop even there.

Sometime it would just be nice to just let it all out ya know?
I've known people with this sort of problem, and there's a variety of things that helped them out. Some liked exercise as a release, others preferred going to a therapy groups, others still even found that holding a cube of ice in their hand or punching a pillow helped a lot.

Everyone's different in the ways they release or deal with stress and emotions, and they're all equally valid if they respect the rights and feelings of both others and themselves. Heck, one of my favorite things to do when I'm feeling pent up is to pour out a handful of cereal and crunch each piece with my fingers.