Get that thing off your chest... Now...

Forum organization and occasional community-building.
Forum rules
Questions about Ren'Py should go in the Ren'Py Questions and Announcements forum.
Message
Author
ThisIsNoName
Veteran
Posts: 311
Joined: Fri Feb 10, 2012 10:15 pm
Contact:

Re: Get that thing off your chest... Now...

#4576 Post by ThisIsNoName » Thu Feb 12, 2015 2:47 pm

After hearing and hearing about how awesome dark souls is, I finally gave it a try.

...and, yeah, I'm pretty sure this is one of the worst games I've ever played.
The controls are laggy, the AI seems to be completely random, and it's a complete toss-up if or when button presses will execute.
If you design a game based around precision, MAKE PRECISE CONTROLS! It's not rocket science.

Seriously, why is this so highly regarded? ARGHH!
/rant

User avatar
MaiMai
Yandere
Posts: 1757
Joined: Sat Mar 21, 2009 6:04 pm
Completed: [Phase Shift]
Projects: [ None ]
Organization: Paper Stars
Tumblr: maiscribbles
Deviantart: maiscribble
Location: USA, Southern California
Contact:

Re: Get that thing off your chest... Now...

#4577 Post by MaiMai » Thu Feb 12, 2015 3:02 pm

From what I can tell it's because it's monstrously hard (probably doesn't help with the controls) and if you can master something monstrously hard, it's good.

Also I hear that the Dark Souls fandom is a special kind of insufferable.
Image COMMISSIONS AVAILABLE (check Tumblr sidebar)

User avatar
ZennyPai
Regular
Posts: 111
Joined: Fri Jan 09, 2015 10:10 am
Projects: Perfection Project
Deviantart: omgimawriter
Github: ZenNaari
Skype: Zenny Pai
Contact:

Re: Get that thing off your chest... Now...

#4578 Post by ZennyPai » Thu Feb 12, 2015 3:15 pm

I have a friend who's SOOO into Dark Souls. He loves dark souls so much, he worships the sun.

I liked Dark Souls. I personally found it challenging rather than overwhelmingly difficult.

I liked Dark Souls 2 better than the first one though. I'm not into the lore or the story, I just like it as a game.

User avatar
annpan
Regular
Posts: 96
Joined: Wed Feb 04, 2015 5:14 am
Projects: Death Pledge -Wish of Blood-
Organization: Broken Wisteria or Qian.
Tumblr: waterlilyvn
Contact:

Re: Get that thing off your chest... Now...

#4579 Post by annpan » Fri Feb 13, 2015 2:05 am

Made a banner image and did not save...You know the rest. A lot of crying. Windows didn't give me a chance to save.

User avatar
curry nochi rice
Miko-Class Veteran
Posts: 741
Joined: Sat Mar 27, 2010 3:12 am
Projects: Delicatessen, Whom to Notice, Start of Something, Love Sorcery
Organization: Circle Cosine
IRC Nick: Curry
Skype: after.curry.rice
itch: project-rothera
Contact:

Re: Get that thing off your chest... Now...

#4580 Post by curry nochi rice » Fri Feb 13, 2015 2:39 am

[Heavy Tone Mapping Intensifies]
[Heavy Stock Image DL Intensifies]
[Desire to Graduate Intensifies]
Personal (R-13) | Now at IndieDB | Circle Cosine's itch.io
I wanna be done.

User avatar
SundownKid
Lemma-Class Veteran
Posts: 2299
Joined: Mon Feb 06, 2012 9:50 pm
Completed: Icebound, Selenon Rising Ep. 1-2
Projects: Selenon Rising Ep. 3-4
Organization: Fastermind Games
Deviantart: sundownkid
Location: NYC
Contact:

Re: Get that thing off your chest... Now...

#4581 Post by SundownKid » Fri Feb 13, 2015 5:22 am

ThisIsNoName wrote:After hearing and hearing about how awesome dark souls is, I finally gave it a try.

...and, yeah, I'm pretty sure this is one of the worst games I've ever played.
The controls are laggy, the AI seems to be completely random, and it's a complete toss-up if or when button presses will execute.
If you design a game based around precision, MAKE PRECISE CONTROLS! It's not rocket science.

Seriously, why is this so highly regarded? ARGHH!
/rant
This is a common misconception, that the controls are laggy. However, playing the game more you will realized the controls were designed that way for a reason. Basically, if the controls let you attack whenever you pressed the A button, you could just button mash to stagger enemies and win. The controls "queue" your attacks, so if you press the A button 2 times, it will execute 2 attacks, one after the other. So, what the player must do is only press the attack or heal buttons as many times as they need to at that particular moment. If you need to attack twice, then press it twice, don't spam the attack button and expect the character to respond.

It requires strategy and knowledge of when you can stagger an enemy out of their attack. For example, if you are fighting an enemy zombie, they will have no poise, so you can easily break their attack animation. If you are fighting some giant troll, they will not stagger out of their attack, so you will need to attack once and then roll away. It also requires management of your stamina to avoid being unable to roll or block and caught off-guard.

Finally, by random I am guessing you're referring to the first enemies you encounter that do the swinging wildly attack. Most of the later enemies have attack patterns where you can predict it and parry them. The zombies seem random because that's just how they are designed. However, it's a quirk specific to that enemy type, the hollow soldier.

What you always want to do is avoid trading blows. Either let them bounce off your shield before moving to retaliate or go around to their back and backstab enemies, but never let yourself get hit unless necessary.
MaiMai wrote:From what I can tell it's because it's monstrously hard (probably doesn't help with the controls) and if you can master something monstrously hard, it's good.

Also I hear that the Dark Souls fandom is a special kind of insufferable.
Yes Dark Souls is hard, but it's not hard in the "you need to have naturally good reflexes" type of way, or the "this game will kill you randomly" like I wanna be the guy. It just has a steep leaning curve but anyone who is willing to put in the time to learn it will find the game no harder than any other action RPG. In other words, it is for the most part fair to people who play "correctly", are observant of their surroundings and explore the game rather than going straight to the next boss.

User avatar
SundownKid
Lemma-Class Veteran
Posts: 2299
Joined: Mon Feb 06, 2012 9:50 pm
Completed: Icebound, Selenon Rising Ep. 1-2
Projects: Selenon Rising Ep. 3-4
Organization: Fastermind Games
Deviantart: sundownkid
Location: NYC
Contact:

Re: Get that thing off your chest... Now...

#4582 Post by SundownKid » Fri Feb 13, 2015 5:43 am

ZennyPai wrote: I want to hear what you think. Am I too young to worry about the future? Or do I just under-estimate my abilities?
All I know is, that success has nothing to do with how naturally talented you are. Even if you are the world's greatest genius, a mediocre but hard working person can surpass you and get a better position. So, natural talent is only an advantage if you are willing to make use of it.

At your age, no you are not too young to be worrying about the future. It is easy to lose sight of the big picture, what the real purpose of school is. Basically, school is just glorified training for a job. The better you are in school, the more you can parlay into a job. So school is not contradictory to earning money, it is a means to an end of earning more money. Without college you are more likely to be stuck in a menial position you hate, with no way of escaping it.

User avatar
ZennyPai
Regular
Posts: 111
Joined: Fri Jan 09, 2015 10:10 am
Projects: Perfection Project
Deviantart: omgimawriter
Github: ZenNaari
Skype: Zenny Pai
Contact:

Re: Get that thing off your chest... Now...

#4583 Post by ZennyPai » Fri Feb 13, 2015 12:58 pm

I'm playing Sengoku Rance. I've been working my way up to get Ranmaru.
Image
Cuz who in their right mind would not go after her?!
But it turns out that there is no way to get her and you only get one CG of her changing clothes. She marries this other guy in order for you to never get her. I looked up a guide, you can never get her.

I'm heartbroken, and now I am determined to find and f*ck every princess and female commander in Japan!

User avatar
Mad Harlequin
Eileen-Class Veteran
Posts: 1068
Joined: Sun Jul 14, 2013 12:55 am
Projects: Emma: A Lady's Maid (editor)
IRC Nick: MadHarlequin
Location: Gotham City
Contact:

Re: Get that thing off your chest... Now...

#4584 Post by Mad Harlequin » Fri Feb 13, 2015 8:37 pm

I'm a little creatively worn out, so I've spent the last few days "recharging," so to speak. I'm trying not to be angry at myself for something I can't control, but I hate writer's block.
I'm an aspiring writer and voice talent with a passion for literature and an unhealthy attachment to video games. I am also a seasoned typo-sniper. Inquiries are encouraged. Friendly chats are welcome.
"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."
— Mark Twain

User avatar
Dizzydude
Regular
Posts: 58
Joined: Mon May 26, 2014 8:40 pm
Projects: 「To Be Announced」
Location: U.S.A
Contact:

Re: Get that thing off your chest... Now...

#4585 Post by Dizzydude » Sat Feb 14, 2015 6:48 pm

My computer is broken and I lost a lot of project files/work because I've only backed up so much. Without the money to get it repaired, I'm probably going to be coding from my tablet for a whiiiile. Also, there's the issue with feeling like I'm complaining over nothing by posting this amongst all these real problems.

User avatar
Razz
Veteran
Posts: 349
Joined: Mon Oct 17, 2011 7:15 pm
Completed: Starlight Vega, Catch Canvas, Love Ribbon, Happy Campers, Wolf Tails
Projects: Two projects
Organization: Razzartvisual
Contact:

Re: Get that thing off your chest... Now...

#4586 Post by Razz » Sun Feb 15, 2015 7:06 am

Nothing like enjoying your day off and getting slapped with a 220$ vet bill. I guess it's a small price to pay, in retrospect. They gave my cat a shot that made her all loopy. She was staring at a wooden beam for hours in a trance.
Image

User avatar
Blue Lemma
Forum Founder
Posts: 2005
Joined: Sat Jan 25, 2003 2:32 pm
Completed: ToL, Shoujo Attack!, Lemma Ten
Projects: [RETIRED FROM FORUM ADMINISTRATION - CONTACT PYTOM WITH ISSUES]
Contact:

Re: Get that thing off your chest... Now...

#4587 Post by Blue Lemma » Sun Feb 15, 2015 8:17 am

ZennyPai wrote:But it turns out that there is no way to get her and you only get one CG of her changing clothes. She marries this other guy in order for you to never get her. I looked up a guide, you can never get her.

I'm heartbroken, and now I am determined to find and f*ck every princess and female commander in Japan!
Cockblocked in Rance, that's actually pretty amazing :lol:
“Among those who dislike oppression are many who like to oppress.”
- Napoleon Bonaparte


I've retired from forum administration. I do not add people to the "adult" group, deactivate accounts, nor any other administrative task. Please direct admin/mod issues to PyTom or the other mods : )

User avatar
ZennyPai
Regular
Posts: 111
Joined: Fri Jan 09, 2015 10:10 am
Projects: Perfection Project
Deviantart: omgimawriter
Github: ZenNaari
Skype: Zenny Pai
Contact:

Re: Get that thing off your chest... Now...

#4588 Post by ZennyPai » Sat Feb 21, 2015 11:40 am

I have this weird obsession of being a jack of all trades. One of the reasons I'm on this site as well.

I have this paranoia that everyone around me knows more than I do in every aspect of life therefore making me feel inferior to almost everyone all the time.

I was taught that it's better to be master of one, than to be a jack of all trades. But that's never my case. I've always jumped from one passion to another without trying to excel. I just wanted to experience what it was like to do things and how to do them.

I feel as if something's holding me back. Either some childhood trauma, or simply because I easily get bored of things. Maybe it's my dad's advice to me that, "The key to everything is balance."

Obviously this is taking it's toll on me, especially in school, where when I'm asked to present a project, it's mediocre. I've always been a person who values "Things getting done" more than "Perfection." Kinda ironic given the novel I'm working on.

So now whenever I play games, especially when I try to replay old games, I try to play it in a way where I expertise on one certain aspect of the game instead of trying to balance everything out.

For example, when using a character that supposedly has high attack power like an assassin, what I would have done was to armor him up and use weapons that increase his defense. Now I try to equip him with items that even further his attack power.

User avatar
annpan
Regular
Posts: 96
Joined: Wed Feb 04, 2015 5:14 am
Projects: Death Pledge -Wish of Blood-
Organization: Broken Wisteria or Qian.
Tumblr: waterlilyvn
Contact:

Re: Get that thing off your chest... Now...

#4589 Post by annpan » Sat Feb 21, 2015 7:26 pm

SKYPE WORK..! Stop lagging please -- I can't engage in anything like this.

User avatar
Enigma
Veteran
Posts: 281
Joined: Sun Mar 14, 2010 12:53 am
Contact:

Re: Get that thing off your chest... Now...

#4590 Post by Enigma » Sat Feb 21, 2015 7:35 pm

SundownKid wrote:
ThisIsNoName wrote:After hearing and hearing about how awesome dark souls is, I finally gave it a try.

...and, yeah, I'm pretty sure this is one of the worst games I've ever played.
The controls are laggy, the AI seems to be completely random, and it's a complete toss-up if or when button presses will execute.
If you design a game based around precision, MAKE PRECISE CONTROLS! It's not rocket science.

Seriously, why is this so highly regarded? ARGHH!
/rant
This is a common misconception, that the controls are laggy. However, playing the game more you will realized the controls were designed that way for a reason. Basically, if the controls let you attack whenever you pressed the A button, you could just button mash to stagger enemies and win. The controls "queue" your attacks, so if you press the A button 2 times, it will execute 2 attacks, one after the other. So, what the player must do is only press the attack or heal buttons as many times as they need to at that particular moment. If you need to attack twice, then press it twice, don't spam the attack button and expect the character to respond.

It requires strategy and knowledge of when you can stagger an enemy out of their attack. For example, if you are fighting an enemy zombie, they will have no poise, so you can easily break their attack animation. If you are fighting some giant troll, they will not stagger out of their attack, so you will need to attack once and then roll away. It also requires management of your stamina to avoid being unable to roll or block and caught off-guard.

Finally, by random I am guessing you're referring to the first enemies you encounter that do the swinging wildly attack. Most of the later enemies have attack patterns where you can predict it and parry them. The zombies seem random because that's just how they are designed. However, it's a quirk specific to that enemy type, the hollow soldier.

What you always want to do is avoid trading blows. Either let them bounce off your shield before moving to retaliate or go around to their back and backstab enemies, but never let yourself get hit unless necessary.
MaiMai wrote:From what I can tell it's because it's monstrously hard (probably doesn't help with the controls) and if you can master something monstrously hard, it's good.

Also I hear that the Dark Souls fandom is a special kind of insufferable.
Yes Dark Souls is hard, but it's not hard in the "you need to have naturally good reflexes" type of way, or the "this game will kill you randomly" like I wanna be the guy. It just has a steep leaning curve but anyone who is willing to put in the time to learn it will find the game no harder than any other action RPG. In other words, it is for the most part fair to people who play "correctly", are observant of their surroundings and explore the game rather than going straight to the next boss.
This actually explains why I myself dislike Dark Souls, I don't like the fact that I don't have tools to dictate the pace of the fight when I get the advantage. It's probably because I play many fighting games and it's the equivalent of scoring a knockdown then being forced to block as the opponent gets up instead of being able to run an offense. At least it feels that way.

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users