Get that thing off your chest... Now...

Forum organization and occasional community-building.
Forum rules
Questions about Ren'Py should go in the Ren'Py Questions and Announcements forum.
annpan
Regular
Projects: Death Pledge -Wish of Blood-
Organization: Broken Wisteria or Qian.
Tumblr: waterlilyvn

Re: Get that thing off your chest... Now...

#4636 Post by annpan »

WHHEEE~ DLC TEW PLAYED DIED 20 TIMES BUT GREAT. MORE PLEASE!

JumpJump
Veteran
Projects: 9413
Organization: 2wo dollars

#4637 Post by JumpJump »

One of my favourite authors Terry Pratchett died today.

The world has gotten a little smaller..
"You are the master of understatement, chief. You had a foursome with the Elephant Man and a couple of foreign princesses. I'd head on out before the paparazzi arrive, if I were you." - Barry the time travelling sprout

Old and new, whatever you want. All is here.

Haze
Veteran
Completed: Monster Uses CPU 2, White Fog, Times Like These, bond
Projects: Secret long term project!
Soundcloud: The_Storysinger

#4638 Post by Haze »

You know, as I woke up this morning, I think on a subconscious level I wanted to believe yesterday had just been a dream. The basement hadn't really flooded yesterday; I hadn't really taken 6 hours taking stuff out of it and helping to drain the water with the rest of my family.

But of course, dreams do not come with something as simple as a rejection of reality.

A tear will linger on the left corner or my eye as I deal with the aftermath.

For right now, though, I'm going to take a short break.
My first completed visual novel, which is at 1.3, it's final version(woo hoo!): Monster Uses CPU 2
Finally at version 1.0: White Fog

I make one song every week, all for free download! This weeks song: Synthis- The Mirror(Eliana Remix)[Preview]

You might ask yourself: If I could only save one paragraph of the work I'm writing, which one would I save?
Which one would I let go first?

-from Understanding Rhetoric: A Graphic Guide to Writing by Elizabeth Losh, Johnathan Alexander, Kevin Cannon, and Zander Cannon

inkbrush
Regular

#4639 Post by inkbrush »

Wow, gonna post something personal now, this'll be fun.

My dad passed away on New Years.
I'm more frustrated than sad about it, though.
We had a strained relationship that I couldn't bring myself to try to fix because he was obsessed with me finding a job.
I finally got a job and thought that there was a chance for us to rebuild our relationship.
He passed a few days later.

Deji
Cheer Idol; Not Great at Secret Identities
Projects: http://bit.ly/2lieZsA
Organization: Sakevisual, Apple Cider, Mystery Parfait
Tumblr: DejiNyucu
Deviantart: DejiNyucu

#4640 Post by Deji »

I'm about one month behind schedule. I also still have a lot of pendings that were already paid for.
Meaning I'm on month short of work income, and my bank account is almost dry. I'm taking money from the little savings i had for my personal projects now to pay the groceries.

All because I was stressed and running back and forth for my sick cat, that had hyperthyroidism, a heart murmur and pulmonary edema. She fancy passed away at the vert clinic on Thursday and me and my mom have been useless since she died, me because the whole ordeal was emotionally draining and because I'm legitimately sad, and my mom because she has a guilt complex associated with pets and family members passing, due her not being able to handle properly when we had to put down one of our dogs years ago and for her own uselessness at dealing with an emergency situation with my late granny that eventually et to her death. In both cases it wasn't her fault, but she still feels it was and she can't help thinking the same about this time (even though I was there for all the decisions and made sure she knew we were doing all we could.)

I've been just evading myself and relaxing working on NaNo, but I need to go back to work or I won't be able to eat this week D:

It's not nearly as bad as others are going through right now but man, sometimes things just happen and you're left all energy-less.
Tumblr | Twitter
Forever busy :')
When drawing something, anything, USE REFERENCES!! Use your Google-fu!
Don't trust your memory, and don't blindly trust what others teach you either.
Research, observation, analysis, experimentation and practice are the key! (:

Squid
Regular

#4641 Post by Squid »

I can relate...

I have LOTS of personal problems piling up, and RIGHT after I tried to jump into VN making with a team... for nanoreno.
My productivity has been crap, and it's a miracle my team doesn't seem to hate me.

So drained...
Not even my usual cheer ups are working.

dorne
Regular

#4642 Post by dorne »

With a weight of responsibility on me I've made it hard to focus on any one thing. I've got a lot of ideas I want to act on, but it's not congruent with taking care of my needs. I've got to take care of my parents and brother.
A Tale of a Meeting. A short sci-fi VN featuring space opera in one part of the universe.

Dorne's Lets Read Visual Novels
https://www.youtube.com/user/dornevn/videos

ZennyZenZen
Regular
Projects: Perfection Project
Deviantart: omgimawriter
Github: ZenNaari

#4643 Post by ZennyZenZen »

My artist who brushes up and increases the quality of my sprites is going through depression. Now I understand depression, it's something i'm going through, and he personally requested a month ago to able to not work until March. I didn't mind. It's fine. I'm not giving him any deadlines or anything. And now he's asking to be able to extend it to April. =.=

I don't mind if you're going to take a break for a month or so. But it irks me if you ask for another break again. if you say you can feel better and come back to me at a certain point in time, own up to it. Either ask for two months the first time, or do some work on the day you first said you would come back.

tigerrenko
Regular
Projects: Partisans
Organization: Red Viking
IRC Nick: tigerrenko
Deviantart: tigerrenko

#4644 Post by tigerrenko »

Activity is enemy of depression... if he wants to quit, that is understandable, but also sad. I know that feeling of defeat, when you just want to quit...

Rossfellow
Veteran
Projects: Sedatophobia
Organization: Team 3Edgy
Deviantart: l-rossfellow

#4645 Post by Rossfellow »

Slump is a thing. Art requires inspiration as much as it needs willpower. It's going to be even worse for someone with Depression, who repels both by default.
When you're not inspired to make art, anything you make will just frustrate you. It's awful. Just give him some space. It'll benefit you too when he's back to being sunny and in a creative mood again.

That or look for someone else if punctuality is such an issue.
ImageImage
Sedatophobia (latin SedatoPhobia)
___(n) 1: The averse reaction to stillness, silence and/or state of helplessness.
______2: (Psychology) A state of distress where the victim's sense of reality can no longer keep up with his or her imagination.
______Related: Madness, Paranoia, Despair

Caveat Lector
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Colette and Becca
Projects: Rainbow Love (HIATUS), The Haunting of Blackbird School, Cry of the Roses [TBA]
Organization: Velveteen Rabbit Productions
Deviantart: Velveteen-Rabbit-CL
itch: caveat_lector

#4646 Post by Caveat Lector »

ZennyPai wrote:My artist who brushes up and increases the quality of my sprites is going through depression. Now I understand depression, it's something i'm going through, and he personally requested a month ago to able to not work until March. I didn't mind. It's fine. I'm not giving him any deadlines or anything. And now he's asking to be able to extend it to April. =.=

I don't mind if you're going to take a break for a month or so. But it irks me if you ask for another break again. if you say you can feel better and come back to me at a certain point in time, own up to it. Either ask for two months the first time, or do some work on the day you first said you would come back.
Personally, I think you should try to be more empathetic towards your artist and give them the benefit of the doubt. They couldn't possibly know exactly when their depression would just suddenly "go away" or "become less bad". These things can be unpredictable, and sometimes, one person's experience with depression can be entirely different from another's. So even if you can work just fine when you're going through an episode of depression, not everyone else can. Like how one person with lupus just needs a few days in bed before getting up to walk around the house while another person with lupus can end up staying in bed for weeks.
Reader Beware!

The Haunting of Blackbird School: In Progress

Colette and Becca: Complete

Mad Harlequin
Eileen-Class Veteran
Projects: Emma: A Lady's Maid (editor)
IRC Nick: MadHarlequin

#4647 Post by Mad Harlequin »

ZennyPai wrote:I don't mind if you're going to take a break for a month or so. But it irks me if you ask for another break again. if you say you can feel better and come back to me at a certain point in time, own up to it. Either ask for two months the first time, or do some work on the day you first said you would come back.
It's not that simple, though. Sometimes you can beat back depression for a month and think you're feeling better, only to relapse the next month.

Depression isn't something like a bacterial or viral infection---there's no well-defined illness period. It will show its face whenever it damn wants, and to hell with work deadlines.
I'm an aspiring writer and voice talent with a passion for literature and an unhealthy attachment to video games. I am also a seasoned typo-sniper. Inquiries are encouraged. Friendly chats are welcome.
"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."
— Mark Twain

Rinima
Eileen-Class Veteran
Projects: WtRF
Organization: Harmonic Dreams
IRC Nick: Rinima or Charlie
Deviantart: Emlindes

#4648 Post by Rinima »

ZennyPai wrote:My artist who brushes up and increases the quality of my sprites is going through depression. Now I understand depression, it's something i'm going through, and he personally requested a month ago to able to not work until March. I didn't mind. It's fine. I'm not giving him any deadlines or anything. And now he's asking to be able to extend it to April. =.=

Is your artist being paid?
If no, you can't really complain since you're not paying them
If yes, I suggest talking it out with the current artist and seeing if they feel up to the job still. And I mean a serious, no judgement, no hurry the hell up talk. Depression is shit. It takes longer than a month to get better (trust me, I know, I suffered for YEARS with it). And have a little sympathy.
Pronouns: They/them or He/him

ZennyZenZen
Regular
Projects: Perfection Project
Deviantart: omgimawriter
Github: ZenNaari

#4649 Post by ZennyZenZen »

I understand how depression is. It just irks me. Even if i was depressed as shit and I just want to die, if I say i'll try my best to attend class at a certain day and submit something presentable. I would. I understand that everyone handles depression differently, and this would certainly be the case. It just irks me because it makes me even more depressed if I can't live up to a promise as easy as presenting a program or writing a report. Part of making myself feel a little better is making a goal and achieving it. So I'd like it if I could apply this to my artist. Make him feel like he's accomplishing something. I do my best to sound supportive without pressuring him and tell him, "You're doing wonderful," "Your work is really helping me out," "I'm here for you if you need anything okay?" I may sound like the bad guy bugging the weak dude, but I am also concerned about his condition. He's like a little brother to me. I just want him to come out stronger from this.

Rinima
Eileen-Class Veteran
Projects: WtRF
Organization: Harmonic Dreams
IRC Nick: Rinima or Charlie
Deviantart: Emlindes

#4650 Post by Rinima »

ZennyPai wrote:So I'd like it if I could apply this to my artist.
But not everyone copes in the same way, in doing that your doing, you could be making it worse. I for one, feel worse if I'm being pressured. And I'd probably have jumped ship by now if you were using this attitude with me.
Pronouns: They/them or He/him