Get that thing off your chest... Now...

Forum organization and occasional community-building.
Forum rules
Questions about Ren'Py should go in the Ren'Py Questions and Announcements forum.
Shinoki
Veteran
Completed: tender feelings like water, Follower A, Moon Archer Shooting Stars, Heart's Blight, from that moment she neglected the world
Projects: Pomegranate Fruit
itch: 4noki

Re: Get that thing off your chest... Now...

#5116 Post by Shinoki »

It's the new year. And, well, winter break for my area ends tomorrow (meaning, tomorrow is the last day off). Of course, being me, I haven't done my homework yet. Hahaha, dies.

Zelan
Lemma-Class Veteran
Completed: The Dark
Projects: Cosplay Couple
Tumblr: evns
itch: Zelan
Discord: ltnkitsuragi#7082

#5117 Post by Zelan »

Shinoki wrote:It's the new year. And, well, winter break for my area ends tomorrow (meaning, tomorrow is the last day off). Of course, being me, I haven't done my homework yet. Hahaha, dies.
Ha. Me too, bro. Best of luck to both of us.

Lezalith
Regular

#5118 Post by Lezalith »

I met my fiancé over the internet. I even engaged to him (we're, um, both guys) over the internet. Contrary to popular belief, it was working for both of us, despite the fact that we live on two different continents.

I got to see him for almost 2 weeks during the christmas break. It was... amazing. So much better than it could ever be on the internet. And I don't regret meeting him, visiting him, I don't even regret the engagement. I love him.

Now, I have to finish my graduation. I'm planning on moving to him, but for now, I need to endure 5 months without him. First three days after the visit have passed and they felt like eternity.

Rinima
Eileen-Class Veteran
Projects: WtRF
Organization: Harmonic Dreams
IRC Nick: Rinima or Charlie
Deviantart: Emlindes

#5119 Post by Rinima »

Gender is complicated.
I sometimes dislike having a fluid gender, it makes having to come out again and again super hard.

Context: I identify as agender for the most part, but I do slide somewhere between agender and demiboy.
Pronouns: They/them or He/him

Shinoki
Veteran
Completed: tender feelings like water, Follower A, Moon Archer Shooting Stars, Heart's Blight, from that moment she neglected the world
Projects: Pomegranate Fruit
itch: 4noki

#5120 Post by Shinoki »

Tried doing laundry for bed sheets today. I usually enlist my parents' help, but they weren't willing to help today, and honestly, with how they are, I don't trust them to help me with anything since every time I ask for something, they complain about me not being independent enough and doing it myself.

So, laundry for bed sheets? Well, it shouldn't be too different from doing normal laundry that I do every week. That was what I thought. Take off the pillow case, grab the sheets and blanket and just stuff it into the laundry machine. Right? Well, that was how I remembered my dad doing it last time when he was willing to help out.

Welp, apparently you're supposed to take the stuff inside the blanket baggy thing out first. Well, as a useless human being who doesn't know how to do beds, I didn't know that. Thus, my mother comes storming up and chews me out. I tell her I didn't know that I was supposed to do that, and she calls me a liar and gets angry at me again while asking me if I'm lying. I tell her that I seriously didn't know and she still gets mad at me and eventually storms off.

I have a loose moral code, but I hate lying. I like to keep my promises, and integrity ranks high on my list of yay-things. Thus, that really grated on me. Plus, I try to be the good kid in the family, the middle kid who always gets good grades and says nice things to the parents, yada yada.

Then, my dad comes along and scolds me again. Okay, so I get it. I did something dumb. Scold me. But, I would have appreciated it if they'd been a bit nicer about it instead of making me scared to step downstairs because I'm afraid that they'll chew me out for not knowing how to do something.

Thus, I hole myself in my room the whole Sunday. It isn't as if I don't usually act like a shut-in, but I couldn't enjoy my trashy shut-in life like that. I was contemplating just staying in my room and sleeping in my chair because honestly, I guess I just trust my parents to help me out in bad situations that little. (Viva la back pain of teenagers with bad life habits)

At night, my dad is a bit nicer. He helps me do the bed sheets and apparently he helped dry them and all that stuff. (Many thanks, father). It's all nice and well, and I was feeling slightly better about life and getting ready to go to sleep. I wanted to enjoy myself, finish up a manga, a few minutes of relief before going to bed.

Then, my mother barges in again and makes everything go downhill again. (Like honestly, I like my mom more than my dad in general, but considering how most of the negative emotions in my life come from her criticizing me in some way, I kind of wonder why.) She complains and makes me pull out the stuff in the blanket again. I couldn't tell that they were damp at all, but she's convinced. Well, okay, damp blanket stuffing is bad. It might get me sick? But, well... getting angry at me isn't very nice, and unhappy people get sick more easily.

She dumps dry blanket stuffing and tells me to stuff it into the covering. To be fair, I'm just stupidly unhealthy sometimes, but I try to stuff it in. And hahaha, back pain. So, after a few moments of trying, getting worked up, tired, and all that stuff, I give up and it ends up a half assed job.

All I was trying to do was wash my bed sheets and all that, but I messed up because of my lack of common sense. It ended up escalating into a pile of negative emotions and back pain for the inept, shut-in teenager, and argh, yup.

(For someone who likes to say "I have no problems in my life," I sure visit this thread a lot to complain about tiny things in life.)

HypnoChanger
Projects: Adventure High
Deviantart: HypnoChanger

#5121 Post by HypnoChanger »

Having terrible internet is literally the worst. Now, most people, when they say they have bad internet, what they mean is "I have Comcast/Time Warner, and their customer service sucks when I have to call them to fix something"

Nah, I wish I had that problem. I live juuust outside the city limits sign, and literally every single wired internet provider arbitrarily stops providing service three streets down from me, on my side of the main road. I can't get Fiber, I can't get cable, I can't even get DSL. The only internet provider that will "service" my location is satellite.

And it is literally the worst. Might even be worse than dialup when you count the other problems. On a good day, you can't even play games online. The fastest ping time I have ever managed to have is about 800ms. Most of the time it's more like 2000. But that's not all! Because the connection requires a clear line of sight to the satellite, my internet basically dies every time it rains. I don't even mean, bad storms knock it out. I mean, if a single cloud gets in the way google's home page will take 2 minutes to load. If water starts falling, the internet is just gone.

When the internet is actually working, and the sky is clear though, what kind of speeds do I get? Well, I just did a speed test and got 0.04 Mb/s So... not very fast. Even just youtube requires me to disable Dash with an addon so I can buffer, set the video to 180p, and then let it buffer a while first.

But wait! I can't spend too much time watching almost unwatchably low quality youtube videos because I only get 10Gb of data per month. If I go over, which I usually do; sometimes in less than a day if my girlfriend's kid downloads a patch to one of his games, they slow my internet *even more* and every once in a while they disable my internet completely so that I have to call in and argue with them over semantics. "Your plan said my internet would not be cut off" 'we're not cutting you off. You just can't use the internet for a while because you've used too much of it." basically in the hopes that I will buy a more expensive plan.

Oh right, the prices. What do I pay for such an amazing service? 85 dollars a month. Before I moved here several years ago, I had cable internet for 35 dollars a month. I'm paying more than twice the price for a hundredth of the speed and a cripplingly tiny data cap thrown in for no reason. (it's almost another 50 just to get 6 more gigabytes. Totally not worth it.)

The worst thing is looking at the coverage map of my area. I exist in practically a bubble of about 5 roads that don't get internet while everywhere else does. It's absolutely insane.

pelmeniki

#5122 Post by pelmeniki »

I don't know how Saturday is going to go. I'm bad at sight-reading, and my music is hit or miss. I pray that I interview well. I pray that the universe is with me.

PyTom
Ren'Py Creator
Completed: Moonlight Walks
Projects: Ren'Py
IRC Nick: renpytom
Github: renpytom
itch: renpytom

#5123 Post by PyTom »

HypnoChanger wrote:every single wired internet provider arbitrarily stops providing service three streets down from me, on my side of the main road. I can't get Fiber, I can't get cable, I can't even get DSL. The only internet provider that will "service" my location is satellite.
Do you have any friends that live in the service area? It strikes me that you're close enough that you could probably invest a few hundred bucks in commercial outdoor wifi gear, and set a link up over that sort of connection.
Supporting creators since 2004
(When was the last time you backed up your game?)
"Do good work." - Virgil Ivan "Gus" Grissom
Software > Drama • https://www.patreon.com/renpytom

effenelle
Regular
Projects: Un:Wanted [GxB]
Deviantart: effenelle

#5124 Post by effenelle »

Hi everyone. Just someone passing by.

I started a game, 2+ years ago. November 2014, to be exact. I made that silly mistake newbies shouldn't have, by starting big. Even more so when I was working on it all by myself.
To be honest, now, the game is finally completed. Well, I guess...almost. There's always the writing to be edited, messy codes somewhere, lame graphics, illogical plot holes...but I've ran out of energy to even be proud of it. Even though it has taken me 2+ years (with some hiatus months in between) to finish it. I don't want to keep it any more.

But, one day, I will release it to the world. Be it mediocre, be it trash, I spent my 2 years on it. I know, it will never be perfect, there will always be things to improve. People can say what they want. It is, a creation.

And to anyone having a bad day, stay strong. There is hope.

Goodbye.
Un:Wanted (GxB)
A game made from free resources found in LemmaSoft's Creative Commons!
\(^▽^)/
Thanks everyone!

Fahrenheit
Projects: A small starter baby kinetic novel

#5125 Post by Fahrenheit »

I should get another job with a shorter busy season.

HypnoChanger
Projects: Adventure High
Deviantart: HypnoChanger

#5126 Post by HypnoChanger »

PyTom wrote:
HypnoChanger wrote:every single wired internet provider arbitrarily stops providing service three streets down from me, on my side of the main road. I can't get Fiber, I can't get cable, I can't even get DSL. The only internet provider that will "service" my location is satellite.
Do you have any friends that live in the service area? It strikes me that you're close enough that you could probably invest a few hundred bucks in commercial outdoor wifi gear, and set a link up over that sort of connection.
Unfortunately, I do not have any friends that live close enough for that; and my area has a ton of trees which makes wifi neigh on impossible. My first attempt before satellite was to attempt wireless DSL but the trees made it impossible to connect reliably.

ThisIsNoName
Veteran

#5127 Post by ThisIsNoName »

So, my 5'6", 250 lbs. sister has been feeling "Very Homocidal" lately, and just called the cops to inform them that she really wants to kill my mom (her current guardian) so she can get a brand new guardian.

After talking with them for a few hours, she politely decided that she would rather not go to jail (a factor her grand masterplan didn't account for). She's 28.

So now my mom and sister get to have a nice heart-to-heart with her piece of shit psychiatrist so he can figure out how to best drug the fuck out of her.

Ain't BPD just the greatest?

Evy
Regular
Projects: Meet Me At Sea, All That Glitters
Organization: Paper Parrot
Tumblr: clysmian
itch: clysmian

#5128 Post by Evy »

ThisIsNoName wrote:Ain't BPD just the greatest?
Tell me about it. I have it, myself.

I haven't had a job since the start of 2013, I'm considering dropping out of university because of my poor mental state (my thesis is done, I'm just missing some credits and I can't ass myself to get them), and no one has commissioned art from me since last summer - not that I can do anything about it because I don't have my art tools at my disposal until Wacom gets back to me. On top of that, I seem to need a new computer entirely.

Technology and money can go set themselves on fire. :?

ThisIsNoName
Veteran

#5129 Post by ThisIsNoName »

FWIW, you seem to be doing a better job managing it than my sister does. I know she tries sometimes, but it's still frustrating when she knows she can just act up and everyone will give her all the attention she wants.

In any case, sorry to hear about your computer. I hope you're able to find what's up soon. If you don't mind me asking, do you know what's wrong with it?

mard
Regular

#5130 Post by mard »

@Evy. All I can say is to keep moving forward. I broke at age 10, and it took nearly twelve years, many hospitilazations, meds, and plenty of counseling for me to get stable.Now I'm barely on any meds. To be honest, if all you've got is Bipolar, you're much better off than me. For me, it's Bipolar, Anxiety Disorder, ADHD, Aspergers, alongside various other things thanks to being on the Autistic Spectrum. All you can do is keep moving forward, working with the doctors along the way.

I will say that what is truly frustrating is the fact I am severely prone to Seratonin Syndrome, due to having it happen so many times over the years due to all the meds. Though I can't complain too much, as without those meds I'd be a basket case, and be either living on the streets, locked up in jail or a mental ward, of simply dead.

@ThisIsNoName. If your sister doesn't have the desire to help herself, there isn't much you can really do. Sad as it is, you can't force her to do anything. You can encourage her to go to counseling, and to see a psychiatrist and get properly medicated. (When I say properly I don't mean medicated into the ground. That won't help anyone, least of all her.)

Also, tell your mom to read up on "Kindling". Basically, every time your sister has an episode, she will be more prone to the next one, due to burning out the connections in the brain each time. Taking the meds to get that under control, as well as going to therapy, (Dialectic Training being a big one) to help her learn to mange it on her own, will make it easier for her to function in society.

However, as before, if your sister doesn't want to help herself, there's no way you guys can help her.
Tend to be a bit quiet, but will help where I can.

Enjoy the drinks folks.