Get that thing off your chest... Now...

Forum organization and occasional community-building.
Forum rules
Questions about Ren'Py should go in the Ren'Py Questions and Announcements forum.
Evy
Regular
Projects: Meet Me At Sea, All That Glitters
Organization: Paper Parrot
Tumblr: clysmian
itch: clysmian

Re: Get that thing off your chest... Now...

#5131 Post by Evy »

mard wrote:@Evy. All I can say is to keep moving forward. I broke at age 10, and it took nearly twelve years, many hospitilazations, meds, and plenty of counseling for me to get stable.Now I'm barely on any meds. To be honest, if all you've got is Bipolar, you're much better off than me. For me, it's Bipolar, Anxiety Disorder, ADHD, Aspergers, alongside various other things thanks to being on the Autistic Spectrum. All you can do is keep moving forward, working with the doctors along the way.
BPD is actually Borderline Personality Disorder! Bipolarity's acronym is BPPD, afaik.

As for me, I also have chronic depression, anxiety and insomnia, and a very-possible-but-not-yet-evaluated case of ADHD. I'm fortunately medicated and see my doctor regularly, but getting into actual therapy or support groups is a huge pain where I live due to very long waitlists.
ThisIsNoName wrote:In any case, sorry to hear about your computer. I hope you're able to find what's up soon. If you don't mind me asking, do you know what's wrong with it?
Generally speaking, the hard drive is getting really old (2010). Even after reformatting a nearly two weeks ago, it's still slow and buggy. Besides that, I seem to have trouble installing a number of programs (particularly iTunes) and no solution I find has worked. My biggest issue, however, is that my tablet can't seem to fully recognize mouse mode, so I can't work on my VN project's art assets >:(

mard
Regular

#5132 Post by mard »

Evy wrote:
mard wrote:@Evy. All I can say is to keep moving forward. I broke at age 10, and it took nearly twelve years, many hospitilazations, meds, and plenty of counseling for me to get stable.Now I'm barely on any meds. To be honest, if all you've got is Bipolar, you're much better off than me. For me, it's Bipolar, Anxiety Disorder, ADHD, Aspergers, alongside various other things thanks to being on the Autistic Spectrum. All you can do is keep moving forward, working with the doctors along the way.
BPD is actually Borderline Personality Disorder! Bipolarity's acronym is BPPD, afaik.

As for me, I also have chronic depression, anxiety and insomnia, and a very-possible-but-not-yet-evaluated case of ADHD. I'm fortunately medicated and see my doctor regularly, but getting into actual therapy or support groups is a huge pain where I live due to very long waitlists.

(
I don't know about the acronym. All I know is 90% of diagnosed mental conditions fall onto the Autistic Spectrum meaning if you have one, you'll almost certainly have symptoms of others, though how severe they are differs from person to person. With Chronic Depression, Anxiety, and Insomnia, it definitely sounds like you have ADHD, as those things go hand in hand.

I happen to have Manic Depression alongside all of the other stuff, so yeah, it all goes hand-in-hand.
Tend to be a bit quiet, but will help where I can.

Enjoy the drinks folks.

Zelan
Lemma-Class Veteran
Completed: The Dark
Projects: Cosplay Couple
Tumblr: evns
itch: Zelan
Discord: ltnkitsuragi#7082

#5133 Post by Zelan »

If anyone has the patience to read through this, maybe offer a few words of comfort... well, strap in, y'all.

It all started back in November. I started to develop feelings for a friend of mine (we'll call them S). I told my best friend of eight years (we'll call him J) about my crush, and he suggested that I just go for it, tell them how I felt. I'd never asked anyone out before, but I ended up taking his advice and in December asked S if they wanted to go on a date with me. To my joy and surprise, they agreed. We made a plan to go to Barnes & Noble that weekend and hang out, look at books, maybe get food from the Starbucks-inside-the-Barnes-and-Noble. However, the day before we were supposed to go, they texted me and admitted that they weren't sure if they were into girls or not, and they didn't want to go on a date with me and end up just leading me on. It was sweet of them to think of me like that, and of course I told them it was absolutely okay. I like them, but I never wanted to force them into doing anything that they didn't want to do.

So time went on, and we went about our lives as usual, still bros and everything. Meanwhile, the little optimist bit in me was all, "Hey, they said that the don't KNOW, not that they absolutely DON'T like girls. ^_^" So sometime in late January, maybe early February, I-not-so-subtly brought up the topic again. They told me that they honestly didn't know still. So I made the proposal that the two of us try a date again, but I wouldn't be too pushy/expectant/clingy about it. Basically, just a really casual date. S agreed to this, and we were all set to pick a day to go to B & N.

However, around this time, I started to notice how much S seemed to like hanging around this one guy (we'll call him C). She always laughed at his stories and jokes, and she tended to seek him out and stick with him whenever the two of them were hanging out in a group. J, knowing that I liked S, took it upon himself to tell me what I already suspected, that S was interested in C. I later asked S about this directly and they admitted that, yes, they liked C. At this point, I sort of knew that the chances of S and I ending up together were slim, so I wasn't too invested in trying to set anything up at that point. But that little optimist had latched on to the other thing that J had told me - that S is polyamorous. So, since that was a fact, plus S and C weren't actually together, I told S to just tell me whether or not they actually wanted to go on a date with me. They told me we'd talk about it soon, which I accepted since we were both rushing to different places at the time and couldn't really stay and talk about it.

However, S didn't bring up the subject again for weeks. All I wanted was an answer - one way or another, date or no date, I just didn't want to be in that land of uncertainty anymore. But I was also uncertain about whether I should bring it up because I didn't want to seem pushy or anything. So I just waited.

Here comes the bombshell. At lunch with J today, he tells me, "I went on a date this weekend!" So I said, "Oh, nice! Who was it with?" I had figured he went with the guy he'd been crushing on (we'll call him L), but I asked anyway because it would keep the conversation going and all that. So imagine my surprise when his answer is "S."

Now look, that part by itself wouldn't be so upsetting. Sure, I wouldn't have been exactly jumping for joy, since the person I was interested in would be going out with someone else. But hey, I'd known that the relationship likely wasn't going to go anywhere, and honestly, it's truly great for those two if they're happy with each other.

The problem is that they planned this date on Saturday, went out on Sunday, and I wasn't told until Monday (in a not very subtle way, I might add). Furthermore, I had seen S earlier that day, and they had made absolutely no mention of the date. So, even though both S and J were VERY aware that I was interested in S, neither one of them thought to drop me a line and say "Hey, by the way, Zelan, this is a thing that's happening." Which, as you might figure, is a little hurtful.

But the real kicker is that they went to Barnes & Noble. I know that sounds dumb and petty, but having J sit there and tell me how much fun he had wandering about B & N with S, was...pretty tough to sit through. Especially considering that I had been trying to plan exactly that for 2+ months and the two of them had planned it in 2 minutes.

I know none of this will matter after a while. I've already mostly moved on from S, especially after all of that went down, and J was at least apologetic about the situation, so it wasn't like he was trying to rub it in my face or anything. That's now how he is. And like I said before, I am truly happy that they've both found someone that they like, because they're both good friends of mine.

It's just that I'm hurting a little right now. I feel a bit like I was strung along after weeks on end of silence from S, and then to have J suddenly tell me that he went on a date with S and got confirmation that they're planning another was definitely a blow to my soul. At this point, I really just want two things: someone to tell me it's okay, and just some freakin' closure from S. I just need to hear directly from them that I don't have a chance with them, or the little optimist will never stop hoping for the wonder of polyamory to work its magic.

Mammon
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Pervert&Yandere, Stalker&Yandere
Projects: Roses Of The Thorn Prince

#5134 Post by Mammon »

Zelan wrote:So sometime in late January, maybe early February, I-not-so-subtly brought up the topic again. They told me that they honestly didn't know still. So I made the proposal that the two of us try a date again, but I wouldn't be too pushy/expectant/clingy about it. Basically, just a really casual date. S agreed to this, and we were all set to pick a day to go to B & N.
Oof, friendzoned. Did you say that if she said no that it wouldn't change your friendship, maybe she was worried about that? Or she didn't want to hurt your feelings, it's too bad you can wear a 'honest critique' label in real life to let people know they can be honest with you.
Mard wrote:All I can say is to keep moving forward. I broke at age 10, and it took nearly twelve years, many hospitilazations, meds, and plenty of counseling for me to get stable. Now I'm barely on any meds. To be honest, if all you've got is Bipolar, you're much better off than me. For me, it's Bipolar, Anxiety Disorder, ADHD, Aspergers, alongside various other things thanks to being on the Autistic Spectrum. All you can do is keep moving forward, working with the doctors along the way.
I will say that what is truly frustrating is the fact I am severely prone to Seratonin Syndrome, due to having it happen so many times over the years due to all the meds. Though I can't complain too much, as without those meds I'd be a basket case, and be either living on the streets, locked up in jail or a mental ward, of simply dead.
Are you sure you've got all those issues? Doctors, especially if you switch between them for second opinions, can easily diagnose you with something different over the same sympthoms or because of the side-effects of the meds. Once you can start to sum your diseases and disorders up, it's more likely that the doctor's flaws or in some cases unwillingness to tie your sympthoms to medicines (Yes, it sounds bad but there are doctors that will know something is a medicine side effect and diagnose it as something else because they're on the med-producers' payroll.)

I don't know much about the other sympthoms, but I can say with Syndrome of Asperger that you either don't have it or that you don't have any of the other sympthoms. I have it myself, and know what it is like. Especially if you were to combine it with meds instead of proper attention from your parents and counselling on how to overcome it, it can easily lead to Anxiety and ADHD and maybe even Bipolar disorder. If that's the case you don't actually have any of those rather than that they're sympthoms of your Aspergers.

Before I continue, I know there's quite a lot of false information about Aspergers floating around so let me explain what it physically is: It's a genetic difference from 'normal' people that causes different brain surface patterns. It's a physical trait that forms in the uterus and cannot, with absolutely no exceptions, form later in life. If you hear anything about a flu shot giving a child Aspergers then with 100% certainty I can say that statement is false. If someone were to develop Aspergers after birth this will come with a side-effect called death. (Or at least brain-dead)

Do you have Aspergers? Ask yourself if these traits apply to you:
-Intelligent. Compared to your parents/family DNA, you've got a higher IQ than you should have.
-Creative. Specifically if you can easily imagine or understand complex things such as scientific theories (such as Einstein's relativity theory, made by someone with Aspergers.)
-Empathic. You can understand the raw feelings of others quite well, but not what they're thinking. Especially if you tend to feel the emotions stronger than the people themselves do, and can put these feelings over your own.
-Focused/organised. Especially at a young age you are way more focussed on things than your peers with a much greater sense of perfection/dedication. While your classmates are drawing stick figures that the teacher will say is a lovely horse, you'll be making your drawing detailed enough for them to see it's a deer, donkey, etc. (This gap between you and others will fade later in life)

Do you not have any of these positive traits of Aspergers, especially in your early childhood (2-8 years)? Then you probably don't have Aspergers and you're one of the many people who get misdiagnosed with it. Because unlike the negative sympthoms which are rather vague and differ greatly between cases, the positive ones are pretty consistent and you'll be able to self-assess yourself. (Because if you have Aspergers, you have a rational look on life and yourself, and will remember events like the ones above quite neutrally.)

Why are the negative symthoms so vague? Because they can all be dealt with. Unlike Anxiety Disorder, the unease that will overtake you when you have Aspergers is one that's hard to overcome but not impossible. The introvert nature you have is hard to overcome, but so is the shyness of normal people. The ADHD-sympthoms you have aren't actually impulsiveness rather than a lack of the instinctive understanding of society rules that normal people have, and these are rules that can be learned instead. And your inability to understand the feelings of people? Well, that's because you don't have the instinctive knowledge to understand expressions. If only there were some way to learn those expressions. *Cough cough Visual Novels cough* Yes, it's not as if there's a kind of game with very simple and straightforward sprites and expressions corresponding with very unnuanced emotions that can act as a way to learn these expressions. Hm... :|

So, if you have Aspergers according to the above then take it from me: You can overcome it. Meds cannot, because Aspergers cannot be cured without literally killing you (or at least reducing you to a vegetable) and merely inhibiting some traits through hormones may not work in the long run. But you can learn the basic skills you weren't born with, and use the enhanced skills you have to actually become even more successful than a non-autistic version of you would be. If you don't have Aspergers, then good luck. Unfortunately I cannot help you with Bipolar, ADHD etc. and know little of those subjects.
ImageImageImage

Want some CC sprites?

Ghost of Crux
Miko-Class Veteran
Projects: To Weave A Thread
Organization: UNICORSITY
Tumblr: unicorsity
itch: namio

#5135 Post by Ghost of Crux »

[quote="Zelan"][/quote]
HUGS YOU
I'm sorry it had to end that way-- I'm happy that you're already moving on, but I can imagine how shitty being strung along by your best friend of 8 years and then getting just metaphorically slapped in the face like that must've felt...
I hope you get the closure you need. Whatever it ends up being, I hope it works out for the best <3
Image Image

misspells everything as unicorn. Call me Namio. They/them. | Honest Critique

Become a patron on my Patreon!

mard
Regular

#5136 Post by mard »

Mammon wrote:
Mard wrote:All I can say is to keep moving forward. I broke at age 10, and it took nearly twelve years, many hospitilazations, meds, and plenty of counseling for me to get stable. Now I'm barely on any meds. To be honest, if all you've got is Bipolar, you're much better off than me. For me, it's Bipolar, Anxiety Disorder, ADHD, Aspergers, alongside various other things thanks to being on the Autistic Spectrum. All you can do is keep moving forward, working with the doctors along the way.
I will say that what is truly frustrating is the fact I am severely prone to Seratonin Syndrome, due to having it happen so many times over the years due to all the meds. Though I can't complain too much, as without those meds I'd be a basket case, and be either living on the streets, locked up in jail or a mental ward, of simply dead.
Are you sure you've got all those issues? Doctors, especially if you switch between them for second opinions, can easily diagnose you with something different over the same sympthoms or because of the side-effects of the meds. Once you can start to sum your diseases and disorders up, it's more likely that the doctor's flaws or in some cases unwillingness to tie your sympthoms to medicines (Yes, it sounds bad but there are doctors that will know something is a medicine side effect and diagnose it as something else because they're on the med-producers' payroll.)

I don't know much about the other sympthoms, but I can say with Syndrome of Asperger that you either don't have it or that you don't have any of the other sympthoms. I have it myself, and know what it is like. Especially if you were to combine it with meds instead of proper attention from your parents and counselling on how to overcome it, it can easily lead to Anxiety and ADHD and maybe even Bipolar disorder. If that's the case you don't actually have any of those rather than that they're sympthoms of your Aspergers.

Before I continue, I know there's quite a lot of false information about Aspergers floating around so let me explain what it physically is: It's a genetic difference from 'normal' people that causes different brain surface patterns. It's a physical trait that forms in the uterus and cannot, with absolutely no exceptions, form later in life. If you hear anything about a flu shot giving a child Aspergers then with 100% certainty I can say that statement is false. If someone were to develop Aspergers after birth this will come with a side-effect called death. (Or at least brain-dead)

Do you have Aspergers? Ask yourself if these traits apply to you:
-Intelligent. Compared to your parents/family DNA, you've got a higher IQ than you should have.
-Creative. Specifically if you can easily imagine or understand complex things such as scientific theories (such as Einstein's relativity theory, made by someone with Aspergers.)
-Empathic. You can understand the raw feelings of others quite well, but not what they're thinking. Especially if you tend to feel the emotions stronger than the people themselves do, and can put these feelings over your own.
-Focused/organised. Especially at a young age you are way more focussed on things than your peers with a much greater sense of perfection/dedication. While your classmates are drawing stick figures that the teacher will say is a lovely horse, you'll be making your drawing detailed enough for them to see it's a deer, donkey, etc. (This gap between you and others will fade later in life)

Do you not have any of these positive traits of Aspergers, especially in your early childhood (2-8 years)? Then you probably don't have Aspergers and you're one of the many people who get misdiagnosed with it. Because unlike the negative sympthoms which are rather vague and differ greatly between cases, the positive ones are pretty consistent and you'll be able to self-assess yourself. (Because if you have Aspergers, you have a rational look on life and yourself, and will remember events like the ones above quite neutrally.)

Why are the negative symthoms so vague? Because they can all be dealt with. Unlike Anxiety Disorder, the unease that will overtake you when you have Aspergers is one that's hard to overcome but not impossible. The introvert nature you have is hard to overcome, but so is the shyness of normal people. The ADHD-sympthoms you have aren't actually impulsiveness rather than a lack of the instinctive understanding of society rules that normal people have, and these are rules that can be learned instead. And your inability to understand the feelings of people? Well, that's because you don't have the instinctive knowledge to understand expressions. If only there were some way to learn those expressions. *Cough cough Visual Novels cough* Yes, it's not as if there's a kind of game with very simple and straightforward sprites and expressions corresponding with very unnuanced emotions that can act as a way to learn these expressions. Hm... :|

So, if you have Aspergers according to the above then take it from me: You can overcome it. Meds cannot, because Aspergers cannot be cured without literally killing you (or at least reducing you to a vegetable) and merely inhibiting some traits through hormones may not work in the long run. But you can learn the basic skills you weren't born with, and use the enhanced skills you have to actually become even more successful than a non-autistic version of you would be. If you don't have Aspergers, then good luck. Unfortunately I cannot help you with Bipolar, ADHD etc. and know little of those subjects.
ADHD Diagnosed at age 4and a half. As the doctor put it, going 200mph in a 5mph zone. Bipolar broke at age 10, though I was already going through a study to help and try to head it off. (It runs in both sides of the family) Anxiety was diagnosed later on, though it's more a side effect of the bipolar. Aspergers wasn't diagnosed until age 17.

As for all the pluses you mentioned, I have them. The meds are to help manage the bipolar and ADHD. Counseling, therapy, dialectic training, I've gone through a lot of it, and it's a big part of the reason I'm standing here today. I've been working with therapists and my psychiatrist most of my life to help me get everything under control.(only had one psychiatrist for the last twelve years. She's called my parents back from Pakistan when I was in a crisis state to try and help get the situation under control.Last time she was on the Eifiel tower when she called us back.)

As for my view on meds, they are a helping hand, they are not the solution. If I don't put in the effort to mange my emotions and impulses on my own, meds won't do anything. On that same note, if I hadn't taken them, I wouldn't be standing here today. My brain would pretty much be fried, and I would either, be on the streets, locked up, or dead. I know what I'm like when I don't take them, and to be frank, it scares me.

Also, sorry if this comes off as confrontational. Not my intent, but it can be hard to phrase these kinds of things in a way that it doesn't come off like that.
Tend to be a bit quiet, but will help where I can.

Enjoy the drinks folks.

Mammon
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Pervert&Yandere, Stalker&Yandere
Projects: Roses Of The Thorn Prince

#5137 Post by Mammon »

mard wrote:Also, sorry if this comes off as confrontational. Not my intent, but it can be hard to phrase these kinds of things in a way that it doesn't come off like that.
Hm, didn't see anything confrontational about your post, just like how I meant nothing confrontational with mine. At least towards you, my comments against people thinking vaccinations can give children Aspergers and doctors misdiagnosing are fully meant to be confronting :evil: . But you apologising for it does suggest Aspergers as well, I have the habit of sounding judgemental or aggressive in posts without any intend myself, and know plenty of others who do to. Our 'The way it is, rationally.' does come off like that sometimes. Even when we know of it, it will happen at times.

Not sure about the ADHD because I'll always put question marks when people are diagnosed with it before they're at the very least 10 years old. Why? Because they're still children, they're supposed to be enthusiastic and impulsive. Not to mention, Aspergers can often be misdiagnosed for it at an early age. Although the combination of Aspergers and bipolar disorder does seem like a bad one, my condolances and good luck.
ImageImageImage

Want some CC sprites?

Zelan
Lemma-Class Veteran

#5138 Post by Zelan »

@Mammon: Ha, an IRL honest critique label would be pretty sweet, actually. I don't know if I'd actually last that long with it, though. But anyway, I tried to get that message across, but I don't remember if I ever actually said the words "It won't come between our friendship." And of course I'm not gonna deny that some of the blame for all that was probably on me. Still... I mean, there were two of them involved in this very conscious decision, and I'd've like a heads-up there.

@Ghost of Crux: *leans into hug* Thank you. c: Yeah, it was pretty rough, but I think the good thing is that all of this has made me far less interested in pursuing a relationship with S. If it's gonna be this hard to just communicate with them... I mean, come on. They really are a lovely friend but things got a bit frustrating towards the end of everything. At this point, I'm just hoping to talk things over with them and end anything romantic that might be hanging between us so we can go back to just being friends.

Thanks to both of you, and a bunch of other offline friends for letting me rant about this. It's been a huge help for me. ^_^

Sonomi
Veteran
Projects: Lethargy of Snow
itch: sonomi

#5139 Post by Sonomi »

Zelan wrote:At this point, I'm just hoping to talk things over with them and end anything romantic that might be hanging between us so we can go back to just being friends.
I would recommend doing that asap. When my last relationship ended, we didn't do well with that step (going back to being just friends) because we didn't have the honest conversation that sort of needed to happen. That awkwardness broke our friendship, unfortunately.

It takes a special person to look past scenarios like the one you mentioned, and I have to say I admire you for the way you are handling it. Either way, I wish you the very best!

Zelan
Lemma-Class Veteran

#5140 Post by Zelan »

Sonomi wrote:
Zelan wrote:At this point, I'm just hoping to talk things over with them and end anything romantic that might be hanging between us so we can go back to just being friends.
I would recommend doing that asap. When my last relationship ended, we didn't do well with that step (going back to being just friends) because we didn't have the honest conversation that sort of needed to happen. That awkwardness broke our friendship, unfortunately.

It takes a special person to look past scenarios like the one you mentioned, and I have to say I admire you for the way you are handling it. Either way, I wish you the very best!
Oh, I'm sorry to hear about your friend. :c It's a shame that it turned out that way for you guys; I hope you've both moved on!

Thank you so much for the kind words! c:

Ghost of Crux
Miko-Class Veteran
Projects: To Weave A Thread
Organization: UNICORSITY
Tumblr: unicorsity
itch: namio

#5141 Post by Ghost of Crux »

possible suicide tw, suicidal thoughts?

anyway, that aside
I'm just really tired atm. Literally every train of thoughts I have rn just leads back to dying, and there's not really anybody whom I can talk to during the day. My friends mostly live in Europe, so that's about 6 hours away. Usually he's online at my 6 pm. it's now 1, and I have class. i spent way too much time crying my lunch hour out in the bathroom.

It doesn't help that one of my commissioner-- a friend, though we're not close-- possibly committed suicide before I was able to finish her commission. She had already sent the payment so I could replace my tablet pen. I want to finish her commission, but I lose all will to do anything from thinking about it.

Anyway now that's off my chest I guess I'll just get back to class.
Image Image

misspells everything as unicorn. Call me Namio. They/them. | Honest Critique

Become a patron on my Patreon!

Sonomi
Veteran
Projects: Lethargy of Snow
itch: sonomi

#5142 Post by Sonomi »

@Zelan

No problem! I appreciate your kindness as well. If we still lived nearby, I would try to work things out again, but I'm admittedly afraid.

He liked visual novels, too. Lol

@Ghost of Crux

Hang in there, okay! You can always come and talk to us if you're feeling down again. I can empathize. :)

Zelan
Lemma-Class Veteran

#5143 Post by Zelan »

Ghost of Crux wrote:possible suicide tw, suicidal thoughts?

anyway, that aside
I'm just really tired atm. Literally every train of thoughts I have rn just leads back to dying, and there's not really anybody whom I can talk to during the day. My friends mostly live in Europe, so that's about 6 hours away. Usually he's online at my 6 pm. it's now 1, and I have class. i spent way too much time crying my lunch hour out in the bathroom.

It doesn't help that one of my commissioner-- a friend, though we're not close-- possibly committed suicide before I was able to finish her commission. She had already sent the payment so I could replace my tablet pen. I want to finish her commission, but I lose all will to do anything from thinking about it.

Anyway now that's off my chest I guess I'll just get back to class.

I wish I could give you an actual hug right now but that's the closest I can get from over here. :c If you need to talk to someone my inbox is open, as is this thread. <3

Rinima
Eileen-Class Veteran
Projects: WtRF
Organization: Harmonic Dreams
IRC Nick: Rinima or Charlie
Deviantart: Emlindes

#5144 Post by Rinima »

Best way to let a friend know you need a bit of space cause of reasons not pertaining to them? Flat out ignore them, sneer at them when you look at them and give them a verbal punch in the face when they dare try and talk to you and have another friend completely ignore you as well.

Because no, of course not just telling them that you're having some problems and just need either a; a bit of space rn, or b; some support, is NOT the logical thing to do. Of course, making them feel like absolute dog shit and like they want to drop either off the course all together or at least drop back 6 months, it totally acceptable, and I'm totally gonna not feel pissed off about all this.(yes, this last bit is all sarcasm)
Pronouns: They/them or He/him

Shinoki
Veteran
Completed: tender feelings like water, Follower A, Moon Archer Shooting Stars, Heart's Blight, from that moment she neglected the world
Projects: Pomegranate Fruit
itch: 4noki

#5145 Post by Shinoki »

Classes. Stress from school is completely normal. I'm fine with that. I might stress out over a low A in Chem, a B in Chem, messing up on a Statistics test, flunking an essay in English... But it is completely not okay to be worrying over FOT (Foundations of Technology), a dumb elective that I'm only taking because I need to have a tech credit.

The grade is like a 93%, which is fine. Well, it would be fine if it was actually a hard class that I'm struggling in like Chemistry. I pour a decent amount of effort into FOT, doing all the arbitrary projects and whatnot. Tech and art credits, especially for the "foundation" types are supposed to be the easy classes where you learn some stuff but in general get a good pass.

I try to keep lighthearted and follow my hobbies and birds and whatever, but it doesn't mean I'm not trying hard on my work. I'll study. I'll properly do my homework. I'll always be on task in class, finish the work quickly but not sloppily. That's why it's annoying that with the arbitrary way the teacher grades in said only-taking-it-for-the-credit-should-not-be-worrying-me-class is making me worried.

That 4.0 GPA? I will be amazingly pissed if it gets messed up by a class like tech. It's not even AP Computer Science. It's Foundations of Technology. Like, I work my butt off on my essays and trying to figure out the babble that is Chemistry, desperately clinging to that A only to find that because of arbitrary grading, FOT becomes an annoyance, screwing up my desired reward of perfection.

Sure, I just need to soothe my ego. I'm a trashy bird who likes to be affirmed. Yup, love me. Tell me I'm awesome. I'll take that. If I work on school work as much as I do (even if I should do more), I should at least get some reward.

Except, this dumb class is getting in my way. If it was stuff that I just slacked on, I'd be fine. However, it's stuff that I poured over in class, looking over the rubric to make sure I did it right.

Oh, the rubric says to not write too much and only do 5 sentences? Sure, I'll do it. And then, I get my grade back saying that I didn't explain enough even though I wrote 5 sentences, desperately trying to not overwrite. Oh, the rubric didn't specify an explanation? Sure, I'll keep it out to not clutter the teacher. And then I get the assignment back and she tells me that I had to write an explanation even though nowhere in the 15 point assignment sheet did it even drop the word "explain," and she says that she said to explain. Like, really? Grade off of the rubric, not some statement that might not have even been said.

Yup, I'm annoyed. I died keeping my math grade at 99% even though I'm not great at it. I died keeping my chemistry grade at like 92%. I struggled and died with English essays, keeping my stuff together barely at like 94%. Stat? Decent A. But FOT. What is this trash... Urgh.

I tried to talk with the teacher politely about some of the assignments and ask what I did wrong, but she just kind of indignantly told me that she said to do xxx when talking or whatever. Like, please. rubrics exist for a reason especially if you're the one who writes the rubrics. ARGHH.