Get that thing off your chest... Now...

Forum organization and occasional community-building.
Forum rules
Questions about Ren'Py should go in the Ren'Py Questions and Announcements forum.
YuukiCrossPudding
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Gidget & The Mysterious Thievery of Hoppity Town
Projects: Cerulean, The Photographer, Stalker&Yandere, Enamored Risks, Who Is The Red Queen?
itch: yuukipudding

Re: Get that thing off your chest... Now...

#4801 Post by YuukiCrossPudding »

Morhighan wrote:Slept for 18 hours. Pain is past the unmanageable point and is completely debilitating.
Hope you get well soon, lot of rest will do you well.
Morhighan wrote:I'm sick of being sick.
I thought that also when I got sick last year, until the point I decide to drop then quit my studies. It's hard because we can't do things we usually can do, I felt like a burden to other ppl, but from the sickness I got, I had a lot of positive insight also.
I suggest you eat lot of nutritious and healthy suitable food, even it's tiring to sleep all day, try take a lot of rest, or try to search an activity that's not too straining. Take a sunbathing early morning, and drink a lot of fruit juice (I had 3 glass a day that time) it did a lot for me to the point the doctor said I didn't need to have a surgery anymore. (Lil' miracle in everyday life)

@rinima nothing happened thankfully, maybe we just coincidentally have a bad mood at the same moment xD

thebackup
Veteran
Completed: Final Week, CardioQuiz, Cafe Memoria, All I Want for Christmas is a Girlfriend, Dating Sim! Re:Mastered, Dating Sim! Luna's Lovely Summer
Projects: Memoria (on hiatus), Cafe Memoria Deux (cancelled)
Organization: PixaelSoft
itch: thebackup

#4802 Post by thebackup »

*sigh* I try to take criticism with a grain of salt, but after reading some serious criticism of my project I am feeling some doubt as a VN producer. It seemed like he was saying, "everything is wrong with this game, you pretty much failed". I know not everyone is going to like what I make, but it kind of hurts to read something like that about your project, especially when you spent well over a year working on it.

Ah well, I can't let one bad apple spoil everything, right? At least most of the feedback has been warm, with suggestions here and there. That really gives me encouragement to make more VNs.

noctos
Regular
Projects: Aeris
Tumblr: noctos

#4803 Post by noctos »

thebackup wrote:*sigh* I try to take criticism with a grain of salt, but after reading some serious criticism of my project I am feeling some doubt as a VN producer. It seemed like he was saying, "everything is wrong with this game, you pretty much failed". I know not everyone is going to like what I make, but it kind of hurts to read something like that about your project, especially when you spent well over a year working on it.

Ah well, I can't let one bad apple spoil everything, right? At least most of the feedback has been warm, with suggestions here and there. That really gives me encouragement to make more VNs.
That sucks, I'm sorry! My advice would be to distance yourself from the comment, see if you can find anything constructive that might help you improve, and then put it away. You can't please everyone, and that shouldn't be your goal either. It hurts when people insult your work, but luckily you're not obligated to take their words to heart. Work hard always, and enjoy what you do. ♥ Cheering you on!
Tentatively working on my first project ☆

Mad Harlequin
Eileen-Class Veteran
Projects: Emma: A Lady's Maid (editor)
IRC Nick: MadHarlequin

#4804 Post by Mad Harlequin »

thebackup wrote:*sigh* I try to take criticism with a grain of salt, but after reading some serious criticism of my project I am feeling some doubt as a VN producer. It seemed like he was saying, "everything is wrong with this game, you pretty much failed". I know not everyone is going to like what I make, but it kind of hurts to read something like that about your project, especially when you spent well over a year working on it.
That's the thing about criticism---it ought to be constructive, even when delivering a poor review of a work. If you run into a comment that claims everything is terrible, but does not address a specific problem in a useful manner (e.g., "I did not like X, and here's why") then it's just another opinion, and one over which you should shed no tears.
I'm an aspiring writer and voice talent with a passion for literature and an unhealthy attachment to video games. I am also a seasoned typo-sniper. Inquiries are encouraged. Friendly chats are welcome.
"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."
— Mark Twain

noeinan
Eileen-Class Veteran
Projects: Ren'Py QuickStart, Crimson Rue
Organization: Statistically Unlikely Games
Deviantart: noeinan
Github: noeinan

#4805 Post by noeinan »

TW: Reference to CSA
Woke up today, checked the forum where I moderate, and found that a thread on pedophilia had blown up, and spawned many baby threads with people quitting the group back and forth, lots of arguing and victim blaming, and just other very ugly things. To top it off, one of the other admins became triggered because they are a survivor of childhood sexual abuse.

I woke up at 5:00am to this and have been doing thread control for literally 6 hours straight. Some days.

Kailoto
Veteran
Completed: No VNs, but a few novels. :D
Projects: Artificial, Seven Deaths (inactive)

#4806 Post by Kailoto »

daikiraikimi wrote:Woke up today, checked the forum where I moderate, and found that a thread on pedophilia had blown up, and spawned many baby threads with people quitting the group back and forth, lots of arguing and victim blaming, and just other very ugly things. To top it off, one of the other admins became triggered because they are a survivor of childhood sexual abuse.

I woke up at 5:00am to this and have been doing thread control for literally 6 hours straight. Some days.
Reminds me of the old days, back when 4chan raided one of my haunting grounds with shock pics. I wasn't a mod back then, but one of the poor saps logged in at 2 AM and saw it all going down. Spent 12 straight hours cleaning it up, only getting help from other mods and admins as they started to come online. It was an absolute nightmare. That unlucky mod ended up becoming an admin after that, and it was rightly deserved.
Things I've Written:
Sakura (Novel, Self Published, 80,000+ words)
City and Girl (Novel, First Draft, 70,000+ words)
Loka (Novel, Third Draft, 120,000+ words)

A layabout writer and programmer with lots of problems and even more ideas. Hyped for Persona 5.

noeinan
Eileen-Class Veteran

#4807 Post by noeinan »

Yeah, things can get pretty intense. I've definitely done 12 hour shifts before-- when something blows up, often people start threads on controversial issues one right after another, or connecting them if they aren't really related, and it gets mess.

Being a mod is long periods of low grade maintenance along with short periods of exacerbated chaos.

Kailoto
Veteran

#4808 Post by Kailoto »

daikiraikimi wrote:Yeah, things can get pretty intense. I've definitely done 12 hour shifts before-- when something blows up, often people start threads on controversial issues one right after another, or connecting them if they aren't really related, and it gets mess.

Being a mod is long periods of low grade maintenance along with short periods of exacerbated chaos.
I sort of got tired of the whole moderation gig, for the very reasons listed here. It always represented a sense of recognition in a community, but man did it get tiring. I don't think I'm a mod on any forums anymore, except for the ones I run (in which case I'm an admin instead.)
Things I've Written:

A layabout writer and programmer with lots of problems and even more ideas. Hyped for Persona 5.

noeinan
Eileen-Class Veteran

#4809 Post by noeinan »

Well, I suppose you could say I'm more of an admin than a mod. (In the groups I moderate, the two words are used interchangeably.) It's a lot of work, but the groups I run are support groups to help people, so I usually feel like it's worth it. And on the days that it *doesn't* feel worth it, I try to remind myself "don't make hasty decisions, you're really upset right now so take a break and come back to it."

I was the only admin for almost two years in a very large community, and it got really, really tough, especially as I was getting more sick, so I'm really happy that I have a team to rely on now.

thebackup
Veteran
Completed: Final Week, CardioQuiz, Cafe Memoria, All I Want for Christmas is a Girlfriend, Dating Sim! Re:Mastered, Dating Sim! Luna's Lovely Summer
Projects: Memoria (on hiatus), Cafe Memoria Deux (cancelled)
Organization: PixaelSoft
itch: thebackup

#4810 Post by thebackup »

noctos wrote:That sucks, I'm sorry! My advice would be to distance yourself from the comment, see if you can find anything constructive that might help you improve, and then put it away. You can't please everyone, and that shouldn't be your goal either. It hurts when people insult your work, but luckily you're not obligated to take their words to heart. Work hard always, and enjoy what you do. ♥ Cheering you on!
Mad Harlequin wrote:That's the thing about criticism---it ought to be constructive, even when delivering a poor review of a work. If you run into a comment that claims everything is terrible, but does not address a specific problem in a useful manner (e.g., "I did not like X, and here's why") then it's just another opinion, and one over which you should shed no tears.
Thanks you two. I am well-aware that it's just an opinion and I shouldn't be too hurt about it. I'm going to take this with a grain of salt, and see it as part of the process of being a game developer; there are going to be positive and negative reviews, and yeah, I know I can't please everyone. Not going to let a highly critical review discourage me from doing what I like doing.

Going to work and having fun with my co-workers seemed to put my mind at ease. And knowing that there are people who just love your work and want to see more from you helped as well.

noeinan
Eileen-Class Veteran

#4811 Post by noeinan »

daikiraikimi wrote:TW: Reference to CSA
Woke up today, checked the forum where I moderate, and found that a thread on pedophilia had blown up, and spawned many baby threads with people quitting the group back and forth, lots of arguing and victim blaming, and just other very ugly things. To top it off, one of the other admins became triggered because they are a survivor of childhood sexual abuse.

I thought this died down for a bit, but I was wrong. It has now been 12 hours since I started. FML

Kailoto
Veteran

#4812 Post by Kailoto »

daikiraikimi wrote:I thought this died down for a bit, but I was wrong. It has now been 12 hours since I started. FML
Time stops for no superuser, huh? I don't envy you; at least all the forums I maintain are small and semi-active.
Things I've Written:

n0tgin
Regular

#4813 Post by n0tgin »

I'm pretty upset at the fact that I busted up another one of my tablets. After only 1 and 1/2 a year of using it. Maybe it's just me, but that does not seem to be a very good lifespan... Well, it was pretty cheap though...

Rinima
Eileen-Class Veteran
Projects: WtRF
Organization: Harmonic Dreams
IRC Nick: Rinima or Charlie
Deviantart: Emlindes

#4814 Post by Rinima »

I've just realised I was only 12 (20 now) when the last Harry Potter book was published...
I could have sworn I was older than that...
I feel old now...
Pronouns: They/them or He/him

Kailoto
Veteran

#4815 Post by Kailoto »

Rinima wrote:I've just realised I was only 12 (20 now) when the last Harry Potter book was published...
I could have sworn I was older than that...
I feel old now...
A while ago, I realized that I had played Cave Story only a year after it was released. Over ten years ago, that is.

Time moves fast.
Things I've Written: