Get that thing off your chest... Now...

Forum organization and occasional community-building.
Forum rules
Questions about Ren'Py should go in the Ren'Py Questions and Announcements forum.
Morhighan
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: AIdol, When Our Journey Ends, Forgotten Not Lost
Organization: MysteryCorgi
Tumblr: MysteryCorgi
Deviantart: MysteryCorgi
Soundcloud: MysteryCorgi
itch: MysteryCorgi

Re: Get that thing off your chest... Now...

#3796 Post by Morhighan »

I'm HEALTHY!! Apparently. It'll take a week for me to stop waddling, according to the surgeon, but if it takes longer, not to rush it. My incisions look great, and there was only one cyst on my ovary from what they could see, and it has already burst, so they think I'll be fine--though I will be getting a gyno and getting checked to be safer than safe. They did some tests on my appendix--turns out it had early stages of appendicitis! So everything's turned out okay. : )

Rinima
Eileen-Class Veteran
Projects: WtRF
Organization: Harmonic Dreams
IRC Nick: Rinima or Charlie
Deviantart: Emlindes

#3797 Post by Rinima »

azureXtwilight wrote:IT'S RAINING AAASH EVERYWHERE. VALENTINE IS RUINEDDDD. I am an evil evil person for being somewhat happy.
Hahaha, that should not have made me laugh XD
Pronouns: They/them or He/him

noeinan
Eileen-Class Veteran
Projects: Ren'Py QuickStart, Crimson Rue
Organization: Statistically Unlikely Games
Deviantart: noeinan
Github: noeinan

#3798 Post by noeinan »

Morhighan wrote:I'm HEALTHY!! Apparently. It'll take a week for me to stop waddling, according to the surgeon, but if it takes longer, not to rush it. My incisions look great, and there was only one cyst on my ovary from what they could see, and it has already burst, so they think I'll be fine--though I will be getting a gyno and getting checked to be safer than safe. They did some tests on my appendix--turns out it had early stages of appendicitis! So everything's turned out okay. : )
Yaaay! :D

MaiMai
Yandere
Completed: [Phase Shift]
Projects: [ None ]
Organization: Paper Stars
Tumblr: maiscribbles
Deviantart: maiscribble

#3799 Post by MaiMai »

SundownKid wrote:That sounds a lot like what happened to my HP except it was the motherboard that was fried and I was able to have a I had an HP laptop where the motherboard melted for no reason, right after it came out of warranty. After that I will never get another HP product and I recommend no one else does either. Their printers aren't much better - the HP printer I got had a failed screen after a year.
Hahahahahhahaha

(guess what laptop I have :oops: )

But honestly, I guess HP hasn't burned me THAT bad yet. That last laptop lasted me a good four years before it bellied up and died. The one I'm using right now has some nice improvements such as the fastest boot I've ever seen for a Windows OS and even when the fan is running it's mostly quiet.

Look, I had to substitute with a Vista for two weeks, anything feels better than that!!
Image COMMISSIONS AVAILABLE (check Tumblr sidebar)

LVUER
King of Lolies
Completed: R.S.P

#3800 Post by LVUER »

Michiyo6918 wrote:
LVUER wrote:Ouch, it's scary to hear that a HDD can just fail out of the blue like that... How old is that HDD anyway? And what brand? Perhaps there's some external factor that cause the break down?

That is the part that bugged me the most. My HDD was brand new, I just bought it off of Ebay not too long ago (Like a month or so and I hardly used it) it was just fine the day before it broke down though. Then came the next morning when I wanted to look over some of my old fictions, I plugged the darn thing in and it didn't work. The light was still on, but nothing popped up on my screen. I tried to plug the HDD into other computer and laptop, same thing, the HDD's light was on but nothing popped up on the screen OTL When I brought it to the store, they said it was broken (WTF)

I can't quite remember what brand it was. (I think Toshiba?) Aa my poor memory sobs

Some people say that a brand new HDD could suddenly utterly failing (need to be completely replaced) or completely okay. So if you just buy a new HDD, use it for several days of continuous use, but never store anything in there without any back up. If the HDD pass the trial, then you're good to go. If not, replace it with a new one (there's should be the warranty).

Anyway, I don't know about Toshiba as HDD brand. I mean I know they make HDD, but I don't know if they're good. Same thing with HP's UFD. They're may be good at making notebook but let's leave making other things to better companies. Don't get me wrong here, I love Toshiba notebook. I have a 14 years old Toshiba notebook which still works perfectly and I'm still loving it.

I always use Western Digital and Seagate for HDD. They never fail me (I have 80GBx4, 160x1, 320x1, and 1TB Seagate internal HDD, also 1TBx1 and 3TBx1 WD external HDD). The oldest ones (80GB ones) is older than 8 years old and they're still working perfectly.

BTW, for UFD and any other memory card, I always use Sandisk and Transcend. They never fails me too.

PyTom wrote:
azureXtwilight wrote:IT'S RAINING AAASH EVERYWHERE.

How do you even clean up from that? With snow, you just pile it up somewhere until the weather gets warm. Do you have to just throw the ash away?

Usually, the government will send their army (and their trucks) and we (local population) work together to move the ash into the truck. The ash itself is no problem since it's a valuable material. Lots of people want it.

The worse is when rain comes. Perhaps the air will clear because of it but the ash will become mud... volcanic material mud.
"Double the princesses, quadruple the fun!" - Haken Browning (SRW-OG Endless Frontier)

DeviantArt Account
MoeToMecha Blog (under construction)
Lolicondria Blog (under construction) <- NSFW

PyTom
Ren'Py Creator
Completed: Moonlight Walks
Projects: Ren'Py
IRC Nick: renpytom
Github: renpytom
itch: renpytom

#3801 Post by PyTom »

LVUER wrote:So if you just buy a new HDD, use it for several days of continuous use, but never store anything in there without any back up. If the HDD pass the trial, then you're good to go.
No, you're not. I mean, every hard drive will break one day - every one. Or you could have a fire, a flood, a volcano, or an out of control truck. But at some point, when you least expect it, that hard drive will stop working, and the data on it will be lost.

You need to plan for this. Your valuable data - anything _you_ created - should be backed up somewhere. Ideally, you should back it up on multiple drives in multiple places - have one copy on your computer, and another that's on dropbox or github or some other online backup service.

I mean, if it's worth creating - it's worth keeping around.
Supporting creators since 2004
(When was the last time you backed up your game?)
"Do good work." - Virgil Ivan "Gus" Grissom
Software > Drama • https://www.patreon.com/renpytom

LVUER
King of Lolies

#3802 Post by LVUER »

PyTom wrote:
LVUER wrote:So if you just buy a new HDD, use it for several days of continuous use, but never store anything in there without any back up. If the HDD pass the trial, then you're good to go.
No, you're not. I mean, every hard drive will break one day - every one. Or you could have a fire, a flood, a volcano, or an out of control truck. But at some point, when you least expect it, that hard drive will stop working, and the data on it will be lost.

You need to plan for this. Your valuable data - anything _you_ created - should be backed up somewhere. Ideally, you should back it up on multiple drives in multiple places - have one copy on your computer, and another that's on dropbox or github or some other online backup service.

Well, yeah, obviously. A HDD lifespan is about 10 years in optimum condition, if I'm not mistaken. Though the data itself only last about 1-2 years if you don't do any writing on the sector.

What I mean (or rather what they mean) is a new HDD produced can be really faulty or in excellent condition. Rather than to break later along with all your precious data, you'd rather find it out sooner by "abusing" your HDD for the first few days.

And I'm talking about the HDD itself, not any other factor. Even if there's no fire, volcano, flood... or may be man-made disaster like a thief or computer virus... you can accidentally knock it over or drop it, or like what happen to my friend; his mom turn off the house electricity since she thought he left his PC on (the truth is that he's compressing all the data inside his HDD and left it), resulting his HDD crippled and all the data unreadable. There's also power surge/spike, lightning zapping your house, or unstable electric current (though all can be remedied by a good stabilizer).

Anyway, backing up your data is extremely important, furthermore for the data you can't replace (if it's just a steam game or something, you can always re-download them all). Don't cry and regret later if you don't back them up. And when I say back it up, I mean to keep multiple copy on several different places.
"Double the princesses, quadruple the fun!" - Haken Browning (SRW-OG Endless Frontier)

DeviantArt Account

Asceai
Eileen-Class Veteran
Projects: a battle engine

#3803 Post by Asceai »

PyTom wrote:

This. 3-5 years after the purchase of a drive you're on borrowed time and there is no watertight way of predicting when your drive will die. SMART is good and works some of the time, but you can't count on it. You also can't count on being able to refrigerate a drive and be able to get your data off it - I've had cases where I was able to recover almost everything from a drive; everything except the thing I really wanted off it.

For a local backup solution I just use RAID. In terms of remote storage, cloud storage is pretty affordable nowadays (and plenty of providers offer quite generous free accounts) so you should at least keep copies of your projects on there.

Even if you don't want to set up a fully automated solution, anything you back up is something you won't have to recreate from scratch if you lose everything, so even just doing this every month or so is better than not doing it.

rakada
Regular

#3804 Post by rakada »

well there many many way to store to your data especially if it just text or photos.

these are just some of the ways you can store/back up your data so that it isn't gone forever

1: Facebook: can make a private Facebook account just to store photo you want to keep or inbox your self some text.

2: you tube: you can upload lots of videos and since you made a new account just make all your stuff private and you got your video back up and no one be able to see them by normal means.

2: hotmail,g mail etc: you can store quiet a lot on them so you could just make a new side account just to keep some text or photo on there as a back up.

3: your own website: depends how big your site and how much you can store on it but could easy store text or photo on there even on free ones and just make it that only you can get to it wouldn't be that hard.

4: phone internal and sd card: phone store can be quiet large now a day up to and over 16 GB each! what could hold alot of important stuff as a back up just in case.

5: console: it possible to get a USB and store stuff on your consoles like ps3 ps4 xbox360 xbox1 as a back up don't know why you pick your console as a back up device but it possible.

6: USB can hold a lot more then they used with being able to easily hold up 32 GB+ so it is a pretty good way to keep your data safe as long as you keep it in good condition etc store it in a small box with a lock and take it out when you need it.

7: HDD can hold A LOT now a day holding over 1 Tb so they a good place to back up large file to keep safe.

8: cloud storage and things like that: you can store quiet a bit on there even on a free account and it pretty easy too do so.

9:print it out: can always just print the text or photo that you want to keep and then put it somewhere safe.

and a lot of these ways are free so it not like you have any reason not to do them and spending that little time to back them up could save you a lot of work or heartache later on.

LVUER
King of Lolies

#3805 Post by LVUER »

The most important thing is the ratio of space and price... and HDD is the cheapest one, traditional one I mean. You can invest on SSD, it's more durable and reliable albeit far more expensive. Price can be very important since full HD movies and photos can be... spacey.

Just be careful if you want to use cloud storage or anything internet. May be it's safer if you use those paid service or those SkyDrive when you buy Ms tablet/phone. But I don't really trust anything free. What can you say when they suddenly say "Sorry, our HDD suddenly corrupt and we lost all your files". They also can erase all your files without prior notice... and won't recover anything for you. YouTube do this a lot. My bro lost all his videos just because a random guy said my bro stole his vids (which of course not, it's my bro's original videos). Not even a word of sorry from YouTube. Fortunately we still keep all the original files.

DeviantArt Account

Asceai
Eileen-Class Veteran
Projects: a battle engine

#3806 Post by Asceai »

LVUER wrote:Just be careful if you want to use cloud storage or anything internet. May be it's safer if you use those paid service or those SkyDrive when you buy Ms tablet/phone. But I don't really trust anything free. What can you say when they suddenly say "Sorry, our HDD suddenly corrupt and we lost all your files". They also can erase all your files without prior notice... and won't recover anything for you. YouTube do this a lot. My bro lost all his videos just because a random guy said my bro stole his vids (which of course not, it's my bro's original videos). Not even a word of sorry from YouTube. Fortunately we still keep all the original files.
Yeah, if you're not paying for it they have no obligation to you, but the popular paid services that happen to have free accounts (like DropBox, SkyDrive, Google Drive etc.) can probably be counted on. Obviously if you store your backups on multiple of these you have a lot less to worry about as well.

My email account gives me a pretty generous file storage allocation so I tend to keep backups there too.

rakada
Regular

#3807 Post by rakada »

Well if you made that the video can not be seen by anyone unless they have that link setting and never gave out the link to anyone it be hard for someone to complain about it if they can't see it,
but It's true any free online way isn't the most reliable and shouldn't use it as the only way to back up. then again It's free so of course paid should be better or be no point in paying then, but I think having more then one back up on different way of storage is the best thing to do even if you use more reliable ways. Was just saying ways that are possible. only online storage ways i personally would suggest would be one of the popular storage (like DropBox, SkyDrive, Google Drive etc.) or your email account i normally just email all my text only stuff to my email and with hotmail/outlook free account have a max inbox of 5gb that is more then enough if you only storing text on there

LVUER
King of Lolies

#3808 Post by LVUER »

And I forgot about the internet connection. Perhaps it's okay for people who have broadband connection... but for people like us who need 60 minutes to even download 200MB (some even still use dial-up connection), cloud storage is just a hassle... not to mention internet connection is not free (and not as reliable).

DeviantArt Account

Reikun
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Mnemonic Devices, Ciikos Bridge, Helena's Flowers, The Madness
Projects: Fox in the Hollyhocks
Organization: skyharborr
itch: skyharborr

#3809 Post by Reikun »

Sometimes you try and try your best but it's not good enough because you're not knowledgeable enough, not empathetic enough, not helpful enough, not close enough. It's hard when you're trying to help someone but you don't know how.
ImageImageImage

fastest way to contact me: DM @skyharborr on twitter

Razz
Veteran
Completed: Starlight Vega, Catch Canvas, Love Ribbon, Happy Campers, Wolf Tails
Projects: Two projects
Organization: Razzartvisual

#3810 Post by Razz »

This isn't aimed at anyone in particular but I hate when i follow someone who looks cool on tumblr... and they update every three minutes about the same stuff. -_- OR I follow someone with great art and then my dashboard fills up with hardcore womens rights stuff. I mean i'm all for it i just don't want to see it every day.