Get that thing off your chest... Now...

Forum organization and occasional community-building.
Forum rules
Questions about Ren'Py should go in the Ren'Py Questions and Announcements forum.
Windreda
Completed: Arcadia
Projects: Missing Stars
Organization: Somnova Studios

Re: Get that thing off your chest... Now...

#5221 Post by Windreda »

Directing my own project for NaNoRenO 2018 and am super excited for it! First time participating, so I'm looking forward to being a part of this community as March rolls around :D
“Forget black and white and try on gray. In hair color, wardrobe or life choices, it may feel more enlivening than you imagine.”
-Gina Greenlee

Please support Somnova Studio's current VN project Missing Stars!
http://missing-stars.net/

isak grozny
Regular
Projects: The Bitter Drop [Modern Fantasy][Gay Romance][BxB]
itch: grrozny

#5222 Post by isak grozny »

I don't know if I can wait until March for NaNoRenO so I might do the sister jam for projects already in progress? I want to start while I still have all this momentum.

arosia
Regular
Projects: Arosia: an Erotic Storybook for Adults
Tumblr: arosiathegame
itch: nightingaleartstudio

#5223 Post by arosia »

I have this horrible little bug in my unity game where my files sometimes save with the wrong encoding format, and I can't for the life of me figure out what's causing it. I've been living with this horrible, little bug for almost 1.5 months now. I'm still waiting for it to die *sobs*

princessap7

#5224 Post by princessap7 »

This isn't related to Visual Novels, but a different text game format, I just feel more comfortable posting here than on their actual forms. I have a WIP with 1k clicks and about 13 comments not including my own. This would seem pretty good except for 1 thing... About 2 of those comments seem to have anything to do with the actual content of my story. One of which is a pretty good critique and the other is just one sentence saying that it's awesome. The rest have to do with a sentence in my original post talking about how my game would have no romance. A bit of backstory here, even though having romantic elements aren't required in your game it's basically a staple, in every single WIP I see there are romantic elements. It doesn't matter what it's about, romance options are always stuffed in. Back to the main point at hand, I didn't think romance was important to the story and I made sure to explain that there was going to be no romance. This lead to 9 out of those 13 comments talking about the lack of romance, almost half of which were opposed to the idea.
This included someone who said something that basically simplifies as saying "I would like this better if it had romance" and someone else who said "Romance is good falling in love with some(sic) the power of it makes you human" the second of which just sends shivers down my spine for some reason. There was one person who tried to comfort me in listing some other game that didn't have romance options, but someone else commented that it and it's sequel especially did have romance. So yeah. I'm thinking about adding romance or getting someone to help me add romance because I'm just so tired of the comments, which again has 1 helpful piece of critique! :x
she's a trash girl in a trash world

Imperf3kt
Lemma-Class Veteran
itch: Imperf3kt

#5225 Post by Imperf3kt »

Don't give in to pressure.
If you don't want romance, don't add it. Just because half a dozen random people you don't know on the internet are verbose enough to voice their opinion that they are opposed to your omission of romance in your work, doesn't mean everyone is opposed to it, including you!

Its your creation, you make it how you want.
Warning: May contain trace amounts of gratuitous plot.
pro·gram·mer (noun) An organism capable of converting caffeine into code.

Current project: GGD Mentor

Twitter

Darkmoonfire
Regular
Completed: Christmas Project
Organization: Lunarescent Wings
Tumblr: darkmoonfire

#5226 Post by Darkmoonfire »

I also think you shouldn't add a romance if you don't want to. Forcing a romance not only leads to a poorer story, but to a poor romance.

arosia
Regular
Projects: Arosia: an Erotic Storybook for Adults
Tumblr: arosiathegame
itch: nightingaleartstudio

#5227 Post by arosia »

princessap7 wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2018 1:39 am Back to the main point at hand, I didn't think romance was important to the story and I made sure to explain that there was going to be no romance. This lead to 9 out of those 13 comments talking about the lack of romance, almost half of which were opposed to the idea.
It seems like you know that you're right about your story not needing romance; that you just need some support here.

And for the comments, I would say that it helps to take whatever you can from them. And then if they're still not helpful to you, then just ignore them.

Good luck with your game!

Sunlit-Dreamer
Veteran
Completed: NaNo2015 Bedtime, NaNo2016 The Doll and the Spider, NaNo2017 What's Your Name?, NaNo2018 Painting Your Skin, NaNo2019 Home's Embrace, NaNo2020 Molly
Projects: NaNo2021 Cracked Moonstone
Deviantart: Sunlit-Dreamer
itch: Sunlit-Dreamer

#5228 Post by Sunlit-Dreamer »

I agree with everyone else. If you KNOW that romance is unnecessary for your story, there's no need to shoehorn it in.

Yes, there may be a majority of romance games there, and here as well. But that doesn't mean that's all that is allowed to be created. And with that said, that means they have plenty of other "choices" to read from to get their romance fix. No need to forcefully mold your game to their preferences.

There will be an audience who will be interested in your story without the romance as long as it interests them. So for now, focus on making your game the best it can be, polishing it up to its full potential, so on and so forth.
ImageImageImageImage

Horma
Regular

#5229 Post by Horma »

I feel like I have too many ideas, and can't decide what to start with. Also, writing happy is totally not my thing. Every single thing I start writing turns out to be a bloody tragedy, and I actually seem to enjoy that. What is wrong with my head?

In other news, my aquarium looks so ugly and I can't seem to make it prettier. Partially to blame is my fish, who keeps messing with the decorations. Grrrr, fish. I love you, but seriously, stop that.

Kokoro Hane
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: 30 Kilowatt Hours Left, The Only One Girl { First Quarter }, An Encounter ~In The Rain~, A Piece of Sweetness, Since When Did I Have a Combat Butler?!, Piece by Piece, +many more
Projects: Fateful Encounter, Operation: Magic Hero
Organization: Tofu Sheets Visual
Deviantart: kokoro-hane
itch: tofu-sheets-visual

#5230 Post by Kokoro Hane »

I feel so mad at myself. I have isolated myself because the last few months of 2017 had been brutal to me, so I got depressed but hiding away was not good either. Slowly I have been coming back and contacting everyone, telling them I am OK, but still I had no right to disappear. But the news isn't all bad, everyone has been so supportive and bringing me back to my feet I know that things will be OK and despite this terrible experience and all I had gone through, I'm kinda glad I had the experience as it taught me something---don't ever isolate yourself, you have friends willing to listen, you have a mission, you have a passion, never give up.
PROJECTS:
Operation: Magic Hero [WiP]
Piece By Piece [COMPLETE][Spooktober VN '20]
RE/COUNT RE:VERSE [COMPLETE][RPG]
Since When Did I Have a Combat Butler?! [COMPLETE][NaNoRenO2020+]
Crystal Captor: Memory Chronicle Finale [COMPLETE][RPG][#1 in So Bad It's Good jam '17]

But dear God, You're the only North Star I would follow this far
Owl City "Galaxies"

Rinima
Eileen-Class Veteran
Projects: WtRF
Organization: Harmonic Dreams
IRC Nick: Rinima or Charlie
Deviantart: Emlindes

#5231 Post by Rinima »

It snowed :lol: :lol: :lol: Yea we're kinda stuck
Pronouns: They/them or He/him

Kokoro Hane
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: 30 Kilowatt Hours Left, The Only One Girl { First Quarter }, An Encounter ~In The Rain~, A Piece of Sweetness, Since When Did I Have a Combat Butler?!, Piece by Piece, +many more
Projects: Fateful Encounter, Operation: Magic Hero
Organization: Tofu Sheets Visual
Deviantart: kokoro-hane
itch: tofu-sheets-visual

#5232 Post by Kokoro Hane »

Rinima wrote: Fri Mar 02, 2018 9:35 am It snowed :lol: :lol: :lol: Yea we're kinda stuck
Damn that.... the snow looks pretty but at the same time being stuck indoors... ugh. That's a lot of snow xD
PROJECTS:
Operation: Magic Hero [WiP]
Piece By Piece [COMPLETE][Spooktober VN '20]
RE/COUNT RE:VERSE [COMPLETE][RPG]
Since When Did I Have a Combat Butler?! [COMPLETE][NaNoRenO2020+]
Crystal Captor: Memory Chronicle Finale [COMPLETE][RPG][#1 in So Bad It's Good jam '17]

But dear God, You're the only North Star I would follow this far
Owl City "Galaxies"

YuukiCrossPudding
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Gidget & The Mysterious Thievery of Hoppity Town
Projects: Cerulean, The Photographer, Stalker&Yandere, Enamored Risks, Who Is The Red Queen?
itch: yuukipudding

#5233 Post by YuukiCrossPudding »

I got sick again with chronic sinusitis that made me left my studies in college 3 years ago :"(
The doctors asked me to do a CT scan to check the sinuses and well the dentists also asked me to do another CT scan on my teeth

I felt so bad since the costs to do CT scan isn't cheap ;; but the sinusitis is burdening me, I can't concentrate enough at my studies since half of my facial bones are hurting everyday. I can't be too tired since if I do the pain will often come and becoming worse each time--- my allergies also happens so often I guess it's because of the infections and it made my immune system become so low

Also! Can you believe the dentist I went to years ago did a permanent patch (?) (not sure what's the term in English haha) on my cracked teeth, and SHE LEFT A COTTON INSIDE
I mean she did told me to come back, but I didn't since she's in another town and eventually we forgot to do so
SHE DIDN'T TOLD US SHE PUT A COTTON INSIDE!
I went to the dentist who told me to do a CT scan today and he opened the patch and found the cotton inside
omgosh it's been years! That's why my sinusitis is hard to be cured! The cracked tooth is kinda connected to the sinus
the dentist is a bit baffled and maybe a bit angry at the other dentist I guess since she did a permanent treatment and I'm not sure why she still put the cotton inside if she want to continue the treatment

The good thing is the sinusitis only occurs on my left side, the other sinuses are clean (3 years ago all of my sinuses are full with mucus lol)
and it's (hopefully) my last year in college before I graduate, only one semester left!
Moving to another college to study another subject isn't easy (from art to law school lol) but I'm glad for the last 2 years I didn't got sick with anything-- just this sinusitis again :T
It made me insecure, I'm afraid it'll get worse like last time and I can't finish anything-- but I think it's just me worrying to much

Last time when I'm still suffering from my first chronic sinusitis I felt like if I still trying hard to push myself I'll break. So I backed out from art studies (especially when I'm recovering I heard one of the students in my year passed away after pushing himself to hard to follow the midterm tests--)
The only regret is my friends who supports me when I'm studying along with them are crying when I left, we used to talk about graduating together or went abroad to continue studying art-- (but realistically I always know I need to study law too xD I only thought there will be more time to study art)
They've graduated from college now, I'm so proud of them :"D

Ooh how I want to draw, check new games and play them but I can't since college is already hard to keep up with with this condition :(
most of all--- I WANT TO PARTICIPATE IN NANORENO OH WHY
I hope my condition will be better and I can play all the VNs that come out after NaNoReNo <3

For everyone who's having a hard time, I believe in each of you, all the bad things will pass and there are good things in life that will happen to us!

AsHLeX
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Starlight Dreamers, Mysterious Melody, Town of Memories, Marked, To Fly, The Change, Him From The Past, A Forgotten Memory
Projects: Cafe Mysteria

#5234 Post by AsHLeX »

Rinima wrote: Fri Mar 02, 2018 9:35 am It snowed :lol: :lol: :lol: Yea we're kinda stuck
Wow... That is some deep snow.

Totally random, but does anyone ever have that weird moment where you're suddenly nervous to sleep, because it feels like you're letting your mind take a journey of its own for those few hours that you're out and you have no idea where it'll take you ( a good dream, a bad dream, who knows?). It's like a fleeting moment of terror. And sometimes when you've had a good dream you look forward to going back to sleep and hopefully have the same dream.
Sorry, I know it's random haha. Can't fall asleep. There really should be a thread on here for just random late night thoughts orz.
New demo out 24/12/23!!

BlackMagnolia
Regular

#5235 Post by BlackMagnolia »

I dread using Twitter to promote anything because being there longer than a second is enough to erode my sanity and faith in humanity. It's such a snarky, backstabbing and overall negative environment that I can't willingly put myself in at this point in time. It's like opening up a furnace of everyone's worst.