Get that thing off your chest... Now...

Forum organization and occasional community-building.
Forum rules
Questions about Ren'Py should go in the Ren'Py Questions and Announcements forum.
kura-ou
Regular

Re: Get that thing off your chest... Now...

#3391 Post by kura-ou »

dramspringfeald wrote:So, It was a 90% Blockage, They installed a Stint and she should be out in 2 or 3 days.
I hope that your mom is okay now ;~;

As for something I want to get off my chest...I've just been in my summer course for a week. It's already pretty hard. I want to reserve enough time for it since it's my priority and enough time for my commissions, gifts/requests and personal artwork.

However, just as I was beginning to reconnect with my old online friends and dA watchers, I came across this and screenshot it.

I know...I should have thicker skin, but it really hurt me. Being inactive from dA due to school, life, etc, it was really hard on me. What former watcher would post that? It seems very insensitive. I know the older stuff that I am posting now isn't as nice as the things I've been working on for my dear commissioners and friends, but to me, it still was very inconsiderate and somewhat tactless.

A part me says "good riddance" and the other is a bit sad.

Unless an artist uses their deviantART strictly for posting up artwork and nothing else, then yes, I would only see the person as an artist because it's impersonal (and probably professional, too...?). But many artists I watch like to update their watchers, even if they don't post up any artwork at all. I prefer it if an artist I watch is a bit personal, because it lets me see the human side of them. I don't care if they're imperfect, because that's how we all are...

Maybe I'm looking too deeply into this...

I, myself, don't want to be seen as only an artist, but a person who's at least trying to do the right thing most of the time, and this is why something like this annoys me. I despise that overly-righteous part of me .__.;;;
Attachments
2013_seriously.png
my portfolio
=>my *FREE* sketch request thread<=

I am currently booked for May/June/July, but if you would like to buy my ANIMU MERCHANDISE and ADOPTABLES to give them good homes and help keep my college finances afloat over the summer, it would be greatly appreciated ;w;

Applegate
Miko-Class Veteran

#3392 Post by Applegate »

You are. There's absolutely nothing wrong with someone preferring to look at just your art and not get updates on your personal life. You don't need to befriend artists you admire.

kura-ou
Regular

#3393 Post by kura-ou »

Applegate wrote:
You are. There's absolutely nothing wrong with someone preferring to look at just your art and not get updates on your personal life. You don't need to befriend artists you admire.
I don't always try to befriend artists I admire, because I'd think that I'd only want to befriend them for their art and that's not true. A person doesn't have to be an artist for me to enjoy talking to them.

What I meant by "personal," was that the artist would give their watchers a small insight into their life or something like that. I don't mind it if most artists on dA do it, but I guess other people do.

It would have been better if this person said, "I don't like your art, so I'm not watching you anymore, rather than replying to me in such a roundabout manner. As an artist, she basically implied to me, "You won't improve in the future, so I'm not watching you." <- that's how I read it...I hope that I stop "over-reacting or whatever I'm doing...I don't like feeling negative like this ;___;

Oh, well, good riddance .__. I'm sorry if I sounded mean. It's this type of thing that just ruins my entire day.

I mean, it's not as if I don't watch over 1000+ people either ><;;; (and a small percentage are friends and watchers, so...)
my portfolio

I am currently booked for May/June/July, but if you would like to buy my ANIMU MERCHANDISE and ADOPTABLES to give them good homes and help keep my college finances afloat over the summer, it would be greatly appreciated ;w;

MaiMai
Yandere
Completed: [Phase Shift]
Projects: [ None ]
Organization: Paper Stars
Tumblr: maiscribbles
Deviantart: maiscribble

#3394 Post by MaiMai »

Reading that screencap, I don't think you should take it so personally although on their part they shouldn't have the need to make such a PA journal entry announcing that the removal of people. In fact, that's pretty much an invitation to people voicing objections and unnecessary hurt feelings all around.

Although tbh, I never liked the Deviantart community itself and I've been on that website since middle school... (I think I just exploit it for tutorials and free resources).
Image COMMISSIONS AVAILABLE (check Tumblr sidebar)

Applegate
Miko-Class Veteran

#3395 Post by Applegate »

kura-ou wrote:It would have been better if this person said, "I don't like your art, so I'm not watching you anymore, rather than replying to me in such a roundabout manner. As an artist, she basically implied to me, "You won't improve in the future, so I'm not watching you." <- that's how I read it...I hope that I stop "over-reacting or whatever I'm doing...I don't like feeling negative like this ;___;
You should read it as, "I've stopped caring about whether and/or how you improve; I no longer like that art style".

Granted, the post reads pretty much [lol] from where I sit, since if you remove them for the above reason and then re-add them because they're friends and you're suddenly interested, well, that seems dishonest.

I don't think it's good to take things so personal or get so upset over things people do on line. There's a LOT of people who will do a LOT of things to get upset about, and it's important you decide who are worth getting upset over. Humans have limited attention and limited time. We can't afford caring about everyone who looks our way; We have to make decisions and cuts on who we're emotionally invested in and who's worth the emotional trouble to be upset about and not.

EDIT: In other news, I somehow managed to blow all my tests this season, scoring way below what's required on each. Huh, I have to review my attitude.

mugenjohncel
Hentai Poofter
Organization: Studio Mugenjohncel

#3396 Post by mugenjohncel »

Just great!... There is only one door in this office in this whole building that had Biometrics (Fingerprint) and that is my office and it refuses to recognize me... :(

Edit:
I smell burnt electrical wires coming from my office... everyone turn off your desktops now, take the backup drives, turn off main electrical and get out... call building maintenance and prepare the fire extinguishers just in case...

Edit 2:
The locking side electronics of the door is fried... So much for high tech biometrics... It's still locked though...

Edit 3:
I'm such a miserable person. Here I have a situation and the first thing I thought is to open my laptop and rant about it on Lemmasoft and Twitter... sad isn't it... :(

"POOF" (Disappears)

ShippoK
Veteran
Projects: Eyes of Gold (In-Progress)
Organization: (Red Moon)

#3397 Post by ShippoK »

Sounds like one hell of a day you got there Mugen. :lol:
I hope you everything turns out OK for you.

(I also hope you don't have to go to the bathroom anytime soon).
Much Appreciated for those who took the Survey!

Image Image
Eyes of Gold [BL (Suspense) (+18)] IN-PROGRESS
Alternate Online [(Friendship) (+10)] ON-HOLD
DeviantART• •[Honest critique] - 'Honesty is its own reward.'

mugenjohncel
Hentai Poofter
Organization: Studio Mugenjohncel

#3398 Post by mugenjohncel »

One of my employees keep telling everyone in the office again and again whenever she had the chance that Fine-Arts Graduates will end up as Lazy Unemployed Bums who are good at nothing but doodling... Shall I tell her that her boss and employer is a Fine-Arts Graduate? :mrgreen:

In other news:
Some people are just so... I dunno what to say...

There are several Smart Phones in display at Mall of Asia and what do I saw... no less than 5 facebook accounts open and not logged out properly. Seriously, you are in a public place using a phone open for browsing to the public and you left your facebook account open for everyone to abuse...

Since UNCLE MUGEN is a good person. I decided to write a message on their wall reminding them that they forgot to log out their facebook account... Love UNCLE MUGEN (http://www.studiomugenjohncel.wordpress.com) and properly logged them out to prevent others from taking advantage of their current open state... Though I sure wished I could have written or posted something nasty in them :mrgreen:

"POOF" (Disappears)

Caveat Lector
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Colette and Becca
Projects: Rainbow Love (HIATUS), The Haunting of Blackbird School, Cry of the Roses [TBA]
Organization: Velveteen Rabbit Productions
Deviantart: Velveteen-Rabbit-CL
itch: caveat_lector

#3399 Post by Caveat Lector »

I can't stand people who say things like "Screw respect for the dead, Ebert insulted VIDEO GAMES, so he's EVIL and I'm NOT going to say anything respectful for him". It's the sheer self-absorption and lack of empathy that especially bothers me. He didn't agree with YOUR opinion so you're going to refuse to respect his memory? You don't have to AGREE with his opinions, nor do you have to LIKE them, but you can still RESPECT them.
Reader Beware!

The Haunting of Blackbird School: In Progress

Colette and Becca: Complete

ShippoK
Veteran
Projects: Eyes of Gold (In-Progress)
Organization: (Red Moon)

#3400 Post by ShippoK »

Yeah...
Yeah I know my art sucks, it really does, people don't have to pretend that it's good for me to know that.
But it still hurts when people laugh at it... I try, I really do!
I put up a smile icon or 'LOL' to tell them it's all OK! ...Even when it's not...

They don't know I'm depressed...
They don't know I have social anxiety...
They don't know that these problems I have are putting hardships on my career in the Arts...
I'm just a random person on the internet, why should they care?
They shouldn't... They shouldn't at all... I'm just another random bystander in the crowd.
My problems shouldn't be their own...

So how's everyone's day been? 8)
Mine was super until now...
Much Appreciated for those who took the Survey!

Image Image
Eyes of Gold [BL (Suspense) (+18)] IN-PROGRESS
Alternate Online [(Friendship) (+10)] ON-HOLD
DeviantART• •[Honest critique] - 'Honesty is its own reward.'

JumpJump
Veteran
Projects: 9413
Organization: 2wo dollars

#3401 Post by JumpJump »

It's my birthday today, I'm 26. Sadly, I have to go to a tribunal hearing to find out whether of not I can have Employment and Support Allowance (aka sick pay). If I get told no, there is the chance that me and my family will be homeless. I cannot go on Jobseekers as I was told that I'm not fit for work.

I'm really lost at the moment.

Happy ******* birthday to me.............. :( :( :(
"You are the master of understatement, chief. You had a foursome with the Elephant Man and a couple of foreign princesses. I'd head on out before the paparazzi arrive, if I were you." - Barry the time travelling sprout

Old and new, whatever you want. All is here.

dorne
Regular

#3402 Post by dorne »

Got into a car accident for the first time. It was surreal. Nobody was hurt but it was my fault. Damages I'm not sure but when I went back home I felt scared my car couldn't make it. Plus the burning smell.

I currently do not have a job since June, and my family is gaining some debt, albeit was ok. Before I was unemployed, but now, with the mess I caused, its going to cause some more debt. I don't know why I wasn't thinking this morning.

Incidentally I had gotten a job interview on the same day. I'm feeling queezy at the moment.
A Tale of a Meeting. A short sci-fi VN featuring space opera in one part of the universe.

Dorne's Lets Read Visual Novels
https://www.youtube.com/user/dornevn/videos

Omnificent
Veteran
Projects: FA:NG, ???

#3403 Post by Omnificent »

Sometimes I think that guilt is the worst invention of the human mind.
Forever Alone: Nerds the Gathering - A brotome game. (Nerdy Valentine's Day Card and small status update 2/14/14)
Night at the Hospital - Maiden voyage of Team Snugglebunny
Skylessia: Tale of the Boon - Epic fantasy whatsit, currently on hiatus.
Viking Pipsqueak Productions Blog (under construction)

I occasionally frequently draw other people's characters. Now offering delinquentization, medievalization, and cyborgification. Hit me up in PM if you want sprites for your KN or non-ren'ai VN.

EVEN IF THE TENDONS OF MY THUMBS TEAR INTO NOTHINGNESS, EVEN IF I GO NEARSIGHTED FROM STARING TOO HARD AT THE SCREEN, EVEN IF MY BODY IS CLOSE TO COLLAPSE FROM THE 72 HOURS I HAVE GONE WITHOUT FOOD! I WILL DEFEAT YOU!

Greeny
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: The Loop, The Madness
Projects: In Orbit, TBA
Organization: Gliese Productions

#3404 Post by Greeny »

[warning: rant is reduntant; has been ranted by others before me]

I grow a bit weary of people feeling obliged to justify asking for uncompensated commitment because it will be released for free.
Like, 9 out of ten times, it won't even be in a seperate sentence. Just right before or after, as if they're afraid an angry mob might form if they don't justify it quickly enough, or the lightningh of the Gods might come crashing from the heavens to smite their unworthy souls.

Is asking for others to help you for free inherently wrong? No, of course not.
Just say "I'm not going to pay anyone for this, so suck it."
That I would respect. And, I think that if you don't try to hide behind justifications and own up to the fact that they're simply asking for help, rather than pretend it's not your fault the other isn't getting compensations, that help is so much more likely to come, and stay.

[/rant]
In Orbit [WIP] | Gliese is now doing weekly erratic VN reviews! The latest: Halloween Otome!
Gliese Productions | Facebook | Twitter

kura-ou
Regular

#3405 Post by kura-ou »

dorne wrote:Got into a car accident for the first time. It was surreal. Nobody was hurt but it was my fault. Damages I'm not sure but when I went back home I felt scared my car couldn't make it. Plus the burning smell.

I currently do not have a job since June, and my family is gaining some debt, albeit was ok. Before I was unemployed, but now, with the mess I caused, its going to cause some more debt. I don't know why I wasn't thinking this morning.

Incidentally I had gotten a job interview on the same day. I'm feeling queezy at the moment.
;__; I really hope that things can get better for you somehow, dorne. Good luck with the job interview!

As for my problems...well, I never trusted eBay because I bought a $230 medium Wacom bamboo tablet from them 3 years ago and was only able to sell it at $20 + $12 shipping even with a 5 day auction duration and no reserve price .__. (when it was about 1 year and a half old) Another time, I sold more stuff, but only for 1/10th of the original price, even when they were new, rare, not even used x.x;;;

I have the worst luck with that. And just recently, another buyer backed out of my already-ended nendoroid auction, and another buyer, one that caused me several problems by sniping and by guilt-tripping me, is claiming that I shipped her nendoroids to the wrong address when:

A) she never pm'ed me a different address
B) it was CONFIRMED on her paypal
C) I did provide a tracking number, and I don't know why she's saying this 2 days after the nendoroids were marked as DELIVERED to that same address on her PayPal

I can't tell if she's attempting to scam me or not, but my friends have said to stand by my word and not provide a refund when she had no other proof.

One thing that bothers me is that she may ask for a refund, and well, it's not that I don't have the money, but I have no way of getting my items back either. PayPal might even be on her side if she decides to file for a refund.

For all I know, she could have them and just be attempting to get money out of me when well...I don't know, I needed to sell my precious nendoroids to pay for my summer tuition...? She did cause me problems before, and that's why I'm really skeptical right now.

I'm not saying this to be greedy or selfish, but I do question people when they go out of their way to make things overly-difficult for me when the proof is right there. Maybe I'm over-looking things, but I am googling right now to see if other people have had similar problems. I sold through an unofficial auction on deviantART, but I did say that I had good feedback elsewhere available through note and did provide her with a tracking number.

I'm just really scared right now. It's bad enough with all the work on my plate for class, but I need to get commissions done so that I can work on prints for my first time at the Artist Alley in 2 weeks ;__; I also owe friends gifts and other people sketches...
my portfolio