For $1000 you too can have a replicator...

Forum organization and occasional community-building.
Forum rules
Questions about Ren'Py should go in the Ren'Py Questions and Announcements forum.
dramspringfeald
Miko-Class Veteran
Projects: The Echo, CBlue, Safety_Dance

For $1000 you too can have a replicator...

#1 Post by dramspringfeald »

Well I was googling on where to get a 3d printer and found a Printer called RepRap You could probably make your own 3d models of your characters. Looks interesting, what do you think? :3

RepRap - You-tube vid
RepRap is a free desktop 3D printer capable of printing plastic objects. Since many parts of RepRap are made from plastic and RepRap can print those parts, RepRap is a self-replicating machine - one that anyone can build given time and materials. It also means that - if you've got a RepRap - you can print lots of useful stuff, and you can print another RepRap for a friend...
Don't be a Poser! Learn to Draw
Learn to Draw with Stan Lee
Learn to Draw with Mark Crilley
If you want you can brows my art. My art can be found at...FA // IB // DA Neglected for a few years so I'm just now updating it

Learn to break a bone to break a bone,
Learn to build a house to build a house,
Learn to make a Game to make a Game.

LVUER
King of Lolies
Completed: R.S.P

Re: For $1000 you too can have a replicator...

#2 Post by LVUER »

Awesome... I also watched different 3D printer review, where the material is much much stronger (as strong as steel) so my bet that it's not for sale (it's for space development) and even it's for sale, the raw material price would be expensive. But if RepRap use plastic, I think the price would be much affordable.

Now, what do you need this 3D printer for? I know!!! WE COULD PRINT THOSE GUNDAMS AND OTHER MECHA KITS >_< Buy one for infinite, what a bargain ;P
"Double the princesses, quadruple the fun!" - Haken Browning (SRW-OG Endless Frontier)

DeviantArt Account
MoeToMecha Blog (under construction)
Lolicondria Blog (under construction) <- NSFW

Fawn
Moe Imouto

#3 Post by Fawn »

I've seen those in action, they're AMAZING! You can recycle the materials you use too to make new things... The most awesome thing is that with certain ones you can scan something molecule by molecule and it'll reproduce it perfectly! Even something complicated like a adjustable wrench can be printed and ready for use!

It will be amazing when we'll be able to buy figmas and have them printed right in front of us... No more shipping fees or waiting!

Van Knox
Regular

#4 Post by Van Knox »

One thing that really makes me laugh like an immature kid about 3D printers is that they really give a new meaning to the question "Would you download a car?"

kaleidofish
Veteran
Completed: Tell Her a Story (Nano12), In This Dream of Ours, The Mishka Effect (Nano14), Saving Zoey (Asylum Jam 2014), Fairly Dangerous (Nano15), Palette Swap (Nano16)
Projects: see my site!
Organization: Kaleidofish Studios, Team ANARKY
Tumblr: kaleidofish
Deviantart: kaleidofish

#5 Post by kaleidofish »

A friend of mine a couple years ago decided to print out Warhammer 40k figures on cardstock, so he wouldn't have to buy a whole army. It took a long time to setup and deal with... Imagine being able to print out figurines for miniature games, without all of the hassle of dealing with printing it all at FedEx or Staples or whatever. I'm looking forward to the time when 3D printers are more common for "every day" people... :D
Redwood Crossing * THE MISHKA EFFECT [NaNo14] * PALETTE SWAP [NaNo16] * FAIRLY DANGEROUS [NaNo15] * Twitter

Visit kaleidofishstudios.com to learn more about what I'm working on.

Greeny
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: The Loop, The Madness
Projects: In Orbit, TBA
Organization: Gliese Productions

#6 Post by Greeny »

Great! Now I can finally print my imaginary girlfriend.
In Orbit [WIP] | Gliese is now doing weekly erratic VN reviews! The latest: Halloween Otome!
Gliese Productions | Facebook | Twitter

LVUER
King of Lolies

#7 Post by LVUER »

Greeny wrote:Great! Now I can finally print my imaginary girlfriend.
Hmmm... proven that this is a rather dangerous device. Well, since I also will print all kind of full sized 1:1 (anime) lolies with that printer.
"Double the princesses, quadruple the fun!" - Haken Browning (SRW-OG Endless Frontier)

DeviantArt Account

dramspringfeald
Miko-Class Veteran

#8 Post by dramspringfeald »

indeed and with the THOUSANDS of free online 3ds models you could print all sorts of things. Imagen having full character models for your games when you try to sell them at a convention or something. Sell them for $20 or $30 a piece or sell the CG model (for the printer) at $200 or $300. man thats an interesting way to get $

Oh and you can in fact Download a car
If you want you can brows my art. My art can be found at...FA // IB // DA Neglected for a few years so I'm just now updating it

PyTom
Ren'Py Creator
Completed: Moonlight Walks
Projects: Ren'Py
IRC Nick: renpytom
Github: renpytom
itch: renpytom

#9 Post by PyTom »

The problem I have with the current round of 3d printers is that they print structure, and that's it. Structure is interesting as far as it goes - I see some really interesting applications to anime figures, for example - but how much do you actually buy that's just stucture?

Most of the things that I buy have some sort of active component - circuits, wires, motors, radios, and so on. And I'm not sure how that stuff fits into the reprap model.

I figure it will be solved one day. But that day is likely to be quite a ways off.
Supporting creators since 2004
(When was the last time you backed up your game?)
"Do good work." - Virgil Ivan "Gus" Grissom
Software > Drama • https://www.patreon.com/renpytom

LVUER
King of Lolies

#10 Post by LVUER »

If you want to add some active components, you have to manually create the hollow/place to place them inside your model, and then make your model to be assembled (like kit), not 100% fixed one. That way, you could place all the active component inside before assembling them all.

DeviantArt Account

DaFool
Lemma-Class Veteran

#11 Post by DaFool »

This will make dollar stores selling cheap plastic wares from China redundant.

However, I can also foresee a revival in hobby electronics -- servos, embedded systems, etc. to go along with "build your own vacuum cleaner" kinds of kits. And you really need an industrial grade clean room to manufacture electronics.

LVUER
King of Lolies

#12 Post by LVUER »

After watching the clip once again, I feel to lose confidence on the printer. Perhaps I will wait until the second version is out. The problem is that they never really show the printer's capable of. Is it able to make complicated/complex shape, circle shape, etc. Is it accurate enough? And so on.

DeviantArt Account

leon
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Visual Novel Tycoon, Night at the Hospital, Time Labyrinth, The Buried Moon, Left of Center, Super Otome Quest
Projects: Lemon Project, Porcelain Heart, Dream's Dénouement
Organization: Team ANARKY

#13 Post by leon »

LVUER wrote:After watching the clip once again, I feel to lose confidence on the printer. Perhaps I will wait until the second version is out. The problem is that they never really show the printer's capable of. Is it able to make complicated/complex shape, circle shape, etc. Is it accurate enough? And so on.
Here's a list of a few things made by Reprap on their site - http://reprap.org/wiki/ItemsMade

By the way, in theory, you should be able to upgrade Reprap to a new (or a different version) almost for free, by downloading and printing out new replacement parts with the current version.

I think you can print creatures from Spore.

dramspringfeald
Miko-Class Veteran

#14 Post by dramspringfeald »

DaFool wrote:This will make dollar stores selling cheap plastic wares from China redundant.

However, I can also foresee a revival in hobby electronics -- servos, embedded systems, etc. to go along with "build your own vacuum cleaner" kinds of kits. And you really need an industrial grade clean room to manufacture electronics.
Not really, you would need a clean room if you were to be making the microchips and like. the wiring and circuitry however can be done by hand, granted using Flux cleaners and a steady hand would be needed beyond that though as long as you keep the local area clean you should be fine.

Print a Circuit bored Well Etching but HEY!

Make Your Own Printed Circuit Boards on a Laserjet! :3

but yeah, with a little time you too can make your own gear.

Remember this is still a
LVUER wrote:After watching the clip once again, I feel to lose confidence on the printer. Perhaps I will wait until the second version is out. The problem is that they never really show the printer's capable of. Is it able to make complicated/complex shape, circle shape, etc. Is it accurate enough? And so on.
Well the printer can make most anything you can fit in the 8” (W) x 8” (D) x 5.5” (H) area.
RepRap controlled Time-Lapse Print of Yoda YT
3D printing minecraft landscape on a RepRap
the objects should be limited by the size of the parts and the skill of the Designer. :/

LVUER
King of Lolies

#15 Post by LVUER »

And you can print bigger object per parts and assemble it later. Wohooo... I think I'm going to start saving to buy this printer. I wonder if they sell it here in my country? If I need to import it, I wonder how much I must pay for the tax (sigh...)

DeviantArt Account