What's better: extra art/CGs, voiceovers, theme song?

Forum organization and occasional community-building.
Forum rules
Questions about Ren'Py should go in the Ren'Py Questions and Announcements forum.
StarryRainBreeze
Regular

Re: What's better: extra art/CGs, voiceovers, theme song?

#31 Post by StarryRainBreeze »

decent amount of cgs and really good script c:

lepapillonrouge
Miko-Class Veteran

#32 Post by lepapillonrouge »

I think since your art tends to be solid - I'd like a good theme song.

Actually, and this applies to all VNs in general - some of my favorite VNs or anime from VNs had a really good soundtrack. Key stuff comes to mind the most, haha. It really helps makes a game stay in your head for a while - it's why I like going back once in a while and listen to the Air soundtrack or even the Phoenix Wright soundtrack.
deviantART
---------------------

nyaatrap
Crawling Chaos

#33 Post by nyaatrap »

The optimization of the playing speed: transitions, pauses, image loading, animation speed, implementing functions to skip unwanted events, e.t.c.
In RPGs, I always want the auto battle function. In sims, the auto/random select function.

Chu-3
Veteran
Completed: CAFE 0~The Drowned Mermaid~,duplicity~Beyond the Lies~, East Tower Series,How to Take Off Your Mask,CAFE 0 ~The Sleeping Beast~, How to Fool a Liar King
Projects: How to Fool a Liar King
Organization: roseVeRte
Tumblr: roseverte
itch: roseverte

#34 Post by Chu-3 »

I'm pretty late in finding this thread ><
well... like what you might already guess, I'm those of people who like Japanese VA ><;;;
Famous VA is very expensive... they're about 10 times or more than VA that I know. And it's pretty hard to hire them since we need to make a detailed contract with their office, which of course, will take time too.

Luckily I found some Jap VA that I asked to voice CAFE, and maybe my future games too.
I don't know if they can be called pro or not, consider they're not that famous and do this as a freelance, but they've already worked for some cellphone games and others.

Hijiri
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: Death Rule:lost code Overdrive Edition, Where the White Doves Rest-Tsumihanseishi
Projects: Death Rule: Killing System
Organization: MESI Games
IRC Nick: Hizi
Tumblr: mesigames
itch: hijiri

#35 Post by Hijiri »

Are you sure the problem is with English voices, or is the problem with lifeless, uniterested English voices? Because if the problem were with normal english voices, a lot of shows and games would have almost no fanbase at all. And it's also a bit counter-productive to the whole EVN sense.

Personally, I'd say both partial-voice acting and extra scenes would be a good bonus to add.
Image Image
"Perfection goal that always changes. Can pursue, cannot obtain."

jack_norton
Lemma-Class Veteran
Completed: Too many! See my homepage
Projects: A lot! See www.winterwolves.com
Tumblr: winterwolvesgames

#36 Post by jack_norton »

I know that for adventure games, voices is a must (all new adventures have full voices). Though they're usually MUCH shorter than VNs. I agree that if you have to add voices, they must be at least decent, otherwise they can do more damage than anything.
follow me on Image Image Image
computer games

papillon
Arbiter of the Internets
Completed: lots; see website!
Projects: something mysterious involving yuri, usually
Organization: Hanako Games
Tumblr: hanakogames

#37 Post by papillon »

ecause if the problem were with normal english voices, a lot of shows and games would have almost no fanbase at all.
Dub/sub wars still rage madly though!

Androol
Regular
Projects: IW421 Games: Search of a sister

#38 Post by Androol »

It depend of the kind of game i think.

Voice first, but only if they rely fit the game, funny, sexy, strong etc

In eroge, aditional cg will be great but still good voice will be even better.

I'm not a lot into music, even more in video game. Generaly one of the first thing i do when playing is lower the music sound. In a lot of game music was not well doed /suited /used and just turn to be repetitive after some time playing then i just end the music and just use my own playlist in the end if i want music.
All that said it can be exeptions, if the music can suite the mood of the game and folow the story, romantic when its the good time, dramatic at other, etc... that can be good. Sadly it dont apend a lot in the game i played until now, VN like or other alike.

mapletaffy
Regular

#39 Post by mapletaffy »

For me, it really depends on the game. If it's an eroge, very good voice acting is a must. (Although honestly, I haven't played any eroge).

But, for a casual visual novel, if a character is well voiced, it is better, but if it's not, a good theme song will do. A song that I can listen in my mp3 many times a day and even sing with it's karaoke version (something like that) >.<. and I think a good theme song can help the game to be remembered by the players even after playing the game.

9:19
Veteran
Projects: Green Eyed Monster [complete]

#40 Post by 9:19 »

If by theme song you mean an OP, then I am setting up camp here. Other than that, I'm of the same opinion as applegirl.

Nekobiker
Regular

#41 Post by Nekobiker »

Theme song is my vote, based on experience with my favorite VNs like Saya no Uta and Kara no Shoujo. The CGs were fabulous, the voice acting was fabulous, but it's the theme songs that left a true lasting impression on me.

JustALittleSin
Regular
Projects: Unit & Jetser Forever
Organization: Visualnovels.nl

#42 Post by JustALittleSin »

Difficult to say. If the story is "complete" (all of the script, cg, soundtrack are there) I'd go for the themesong, because that's what gives a title just that little *more*, makes a game really stand on its own. Ofcourse, CG-art, if incorporated into the story, is also welcome. I don't really care for voice-overs.
Visualnovels.nl - We write (about) visual novels. In Dutch.
Dutch translations:
Visualnovels.nl Devblog - As above, but more relevant for non-Dutchies
Marijuana - De Waarheid / Witch Spell / Heartful Chance
Locked-In / Moonlight Walks [WIP]
The Knife Of The Traitor [WIP]

Celestine
Veteran

#43 Post by Celestine »

CGs and a theme song. Intro of theme song catches your eye.
I love playing a game that has CGs it makes it worth going onto that path and get the good ending your looking for. Plus it's fun to play over it again to get to the CGs.
Iratherbeweird,thencalledstrange.
MydadtaughtmeinLifeEverything[/i]has consequences.Good and Bad actions/decision.

realaniram
Regular
Projects: Shaeyu jun Ikkshaelun

#44 Post by realaniram »

Personally, I don't really care about voice acting that much. And then as far as most VNs go, art doesn't seem like much of a problem.

One thing I'm always looking for and remembering in games (any kind of game at all) is the music though. If a game has unique and beautiful music that helps to immerse you in the story, I remember that. And if a game has a theme song (written for the game, either about it or in alliance with the major themes of the game; think Bad Apple-- Touhou Project) it's even more alluring to me.

As a quick example, Legend of Zelda is a very good game, known for it's music. The Lost Woods Theme, Saria's Song, and the ever present Zelda's Lullaby (as well as the Market Theme and the new item jingle) are big reasons why I like those games. It has a brand identity all within a few notes, and those songs are ones that I often find myself singing when I'm alone.
Shaeyu jun Ikkshaelun-- A work in progress.

Forever Newb

Snow Blossom
Veteran

#45 Post by Snow Blossom »

I'd go with either an opening movie, more/better art, or unlockable bonuses (such as an extra scene after you've completed the story). I'd like anything that's easy on the eyes and/or gives the characters more appearances, really. Voice acting, on the other hand - especially for eroge-related material - poses mostly a risk I'm not willing to take. Half of the time, I'm facepalming at the terrible quality or the overly-deep/high-pitched/nasally voices and then get embarrassed because of it. :oops: The only game I've actually been able to get through with the voiceovers was TMGS 2, and even that was difficult at times. I can enjoy good voice acting, but it seems so rare that I don't usually expect it - especially not from American VNs. As a result, having voice acting usually doesn't increase, and sometimes decreases, my chances of buying a given game.