I'm Back~[Also, how do you get your groove back?]

Forum organization and occasional community-building.
Forum rules
Questions about Ren'Py should go in the Ren'Py Questions and Announcements forum.
Hayzel
Veteran
Projects: Echo: Legend of the Centennial Bells, The Making of a Visual Novel, MLPFIM: The Flower Blooming Festival

I'm Back~[Also, how do you get your groove back?]

#1 Post by Hayzel » Wed Mar 28, 2012 3:43 pm

Oh wow! It's been so long and everything seems to have changed during my absence~! Anyway, hello old friends (If you remember me ;-;). Alright, so I have a legit reason for making this post, how do you guys get your groove back after falling into a funk? I love all my characters, and still love my plot line..though I do intend to tweak it a bit from it's original set up (so many cliches X3), but it seems I can't get myself inspired to work after so much down town time. Is there anything you guys do to get yourselves pumped up??? Any input would be greatly appreciated :3

Gambit74
Regular

Re: I'm Back~[Also, how do you get your groove back?]

#2 Post by Gambit74 » Wed Mar 28, 2012 4:09 pm

See, that's the thing. No matter how much you really loved your idea or story when you first began, being away from it for too long will make it very difficult to come back to it. Especially if you've forgotten most of the details and whatnot as well, which I assume is not the case here.

What I usually do that almost always works for me is, if your ideas haven't branched that far out yet, just rewrite the whole thing with only the crucial information and whatnot. By doing this, I often found a different (and usually better) direction to take the story than where I originally intended it to go. You can also try changing the settings, which can spawn new and more ideas that may work very well with your story.

If you've already gone too far ahead, try to recap where you were heading with the story. Follow up on some of the minor details and try to expand on them some. You may find new ideas that you would like to add, which you can then mess around with and see if you can get it to work. You can also try tweaking your characters a bit to see if it can help rekindle your enthusiasm for your story.
Nothing to see here, folks. For now, anyway...

OtomeWeekend
Eileen-Class Veteran

#3 Post by OtomeWeekend » Thu Mar 29, 2012 12:24 am

Welcome back~ :]

I don't really have much advice for you but jsut wanted to greet you ^^;
"The weak can never forgive. Forgiveness is the attribute of the strong." ---Mahatma Gandhi

I no longer use this account. Please refer to my new account, enta if you want to contact me. Thank you.

TsukiShima
Miko-Class Veteran
Projects: Heartful Memory

#4 Post by TsukiShima » Thu Mar 29, 2012 12:31 am

Welcome back Hayzel! (though we didn't talk much before :3 )

I think the way you can get back is maybe rewrite some of it, for who knows if you get new ideas. And maybe read back the old progress you had to get all the things in the story again. I'm sure it won't be that hard if you yourself want it to continue.
But I guess more importantly, I think you should just start working, because I usually found myself inspired along the way as I'm building the game, then ended up can't stop until I forced myself to do so.

redeyesblackpanda
Eileen-Class Veteran
Projects: Eternal Memories, plot bunnies that won't die.
Organization: HellPanda Studios

#5 Post by redeyesblackpanda » Thu Mar 29, 2012 2:43 am

I experienced something similar, although it was just a few weeks of inactivity. I was working on other projects, and I hadn't done much with Eternal Memories for some time. When I resumed work, I felt similarly. What I've found though, is that the best thing to do is get your hands dirty again. I forced myself to write it, even though I felt uninspired, and by doing that, I was able to build up steam again. Within a day or two, I was back on track and feeling inspired again. If you like an idea, then you'll feel inspired, you just have to warm up again. It's kind of like running, which you may dread and which feels painful when you start, but once you've been running for a bit, you feel great (unless you end up collapsing or something, that'd be kind of painful :lol: ).

It's also a good idea to look at what you've already written. (Just like what everyone else has said.)

Well, that's just my opinion. Good luck on your project, and I hope you start to feel better about it!
(All projects currently on a hiatus of sorts. I blame life.)
Tsundere VN
Not really checking the forums any more due to time constraints, so if you want to contact me, PM. I'll get a notification and log in. :mrgreen:
Also, I've been hit and run posting, which means I don't see many replies. If you want to respond to something I've said, also feel free to PM me.

NOTE: if you've got questions about vnovel or things like that, it's Leon that you should be contacting. Leon's been pretty much handling everything, but due to various reasons, I've had to withdraw entirely.

Hayzel
Veteran
Projects: Echo: Legend of the Centennial Bells, The Making of a Visual Novel, MLPFIM: The Flower Blooming Festival

#6 Post by Hayzel » Sun Apr 15, 2012 3:31 am

Thank you guys for the welcome and advice. Haha, I accidentally got busy right as I came back but now I should be a little more active. ~^w^~ I decided to rename a character and my editor convinced me to change the title and from there I've more changes then got back in the groove <3

;A; Now just have to get an extra set of eyes and scout for an artist or try to do it myself.