Your Writing Stats

Forum organization and occasional community-building.
Forum rules
Questions about Ren'Py should go in the Ren'Py Questions and Announcements forum.
Old Hero
Regular
Completed: Soon, my friend. Soon.
Projects: Untitled, right now

Re: Your Writing Stats

#31 Post by Old Hero »

I had accidentally tricked Ren'Py into making everything upside down. I have no effing idea how.

But, that's neither here nor there.

Daggett
Regular
Projects: The Gensoukyou Conspiracy (suspended), The Tribulation Of a Torn Anima (suspended), The Gensoukyou Project Funsized Edition
Organization: None

#32 Post by Daggett »

I think it really depends on your mood. If I'm on a roll, I have done also 2,000 word per hour. But if I'm not feeling it, I might only put in 100. And redeyesblackpanda, I don't think you should call yourself slow. You are more like being creative at your own pace. :)
Individuality's fine... As long as we all do it together.

sciencewarrior
Veteran
Projects: Valentine Square (writer) Spiral Destiny (programmer)

#33 Post by sciencewarrior »

You can use a spell-checker in jEdit. To activate it, select Plugins > VoxSpell > Start spell checking. If it isn't installed, do the following to install: open Plugins > Plugin Manager... > Install, then search for VoxSpell in the list, select it, and click Install.
Keep your script in your Dropbox folder.
It allows you to share files with your team, keeps backups of previous versions, and is ridiculously easy to use.

Taleweaver
Writing Maniac
Completed: Metropolitan Blues, The Loyal Kinsman, Daemonophilia, The Dreaming, The Thirteenth Year, Adrift, Bionic Heart 2, Secrets of the Wolf, The Photographer
Projects: The Pilgrim's Path, Elspeth's Garden, Secret Adventure Game!
Organization: Tall Tales Productions

#34 Post by Taleweaver »

OP: 1,000 words per hour is what I'm usually able to deliver if I'm not distracted and know what I'm doing. If I don't, my work comes out much slower, though I usually don't have to spend much time editing what I've written. Most of it I consider good enough to publish on the spot.
Scriptwriter and producer of Metropolitan Blues
Creator of The Loyal Kinsman
Scriptwriter and director of Daemonophilia
Scriptwriter and director of The Dreaming
Scriptwriter of Zenith Chronicles
Scriptwriter and director of The Thirteenth Year
Scriptwriter and director of Romance is Dead
Scriptwriter and producer of Adrift
More about me in my blog
"Adrift - Like Ever17, but without the Deus Ex Machina" - HigurashiKira

redeyesblackpanda
Eileen-Class Veteran
Projects: Eternal Memories, plot bunnies that won't die.
Organization: HellPanda Studios

#35 Post by redeyesblackpanda »

I may have just hit average... I've been writing uninterrupted without distractions, and have been able to get a bit over 1k and hour. It's definitely easier to write more in a silent room without distractions. (Maybe I'm also getting better?)

Either way, I feel like partying. This is good stuff for me. :mrgreen:
(All projects currently on a hiatus of sorts. I blame life.)
Tsundere VN
Not really checking the forums any more due to time constraints, so if you want to contact me, PM. I'll get a notification and log in. :mrgreen:
Also, I've been hit and run posting, which means I don't see many replies. If you want to respond to something I've said, also feel free to PM me.

NOTE: if you've got questions about vnovel or things like that, it's Leon that you should be contacting. Leon's been pretty much handling everything, but due to various reasons, I've had to withdraw entirely.

Kuroneko_rg
Veteran
Projects: Dark Pleasures, Kiss of Blood, Midnight Park
Organization: Black Cat Alleyway

#36 Post by Kuroneko_rg »

Most I've done is 2000-2500 per hour, but that's only when I'm on fire.
There are days when I just stare at the monitor for 30 minutes only to end up writing a single line.
Damn... It's awful to get blocked when you are writing and yes, there are lots of times when you feel like you are really slow.
I think my average is 700-1000 per hour.
Of course... having a sudden impulse to play games is always a possible distraction.

Yakkety
Regular
Projects: Undead Chronicles

#37 Post by Yakkety »

About 2k words per hour, but then I also have about 30 minutes to spell check and control what I just wrote down, change some small things to make the story better...

Merqurial
Projects: The Time Stones

#38 Post by Merqurial »

It really depends on what I'm writing. If I'm doing just my own fun stuff I can churn out a few thousand an hour, easy. If it's something more focused and difficult it'll take me longer. I try not to use speed as a metric, but prefer thinking about the quality of what I'm writing.

KalaCansado
Regular
Projects: The Feast of Glass

#39 Post by KalaCansado »

I am a slow writer cause I always can't focus myself and can't help myself going to the internet, thinking about others thing or just sitting and see the dance in the PV of the music = =

But for the speed.....if it is English I think my speed is 350-600? cause I always keep looking and checking one word and sentence for many times...just too afraid if there has something wrong = =
But if it is my languages that I always used....I think I can type 800-1000 words each hour but without any beautiful words..OTL

T_T
I really think I need to improve my writing skills XD

Also +1, the place where I write is very important ^^

Destiny
Veteran
Projects: Cards of Destiny, Sky Eye

#40 Post by Destiny »

Hm...
I can't name a concrete number, but an example:

I often take the train to visit my mother. That train takes around 1 hour and 45 minutes. In that time I get around 16 pages of script done (Times New Roman, 12). Already written in script language, inserting stuff like commands and everything.
The only problem is that (since this is my first VN, I only did RPGs or novels before) I'm not really used to that sort of writing style I use for it.
So I also often just sit there thinking about "How do I write that?", which takes a lot of time.
Cards of Destiny (WIP) / Sky Eye (WIP)

Obscura
Eileen-Class Veteran
Projects: Coming Out On Top

#41 Post by Obscura »

I think I'm probably one of the slowest writers I know. It can take me an hour to churn out 200 words. 1000 words might take me half a day.

It's not like I end up with pristine, polished results either. That same material I'll end up editing, trashing, and re-editing at least three more times before I'm done with it.
Coming Out On Top - An Adult Gay Dating Sim
website

Cinnamoon
Regular
Projects: Crystal Aria ~Starlight (20%), かわいいなリズム (38%)
Organization: CoffeeCat

#42 Post by Cinnamoon »

Since english isn't my native langage, I just write 200 words per hour.
Actually, I write the entire plot in french (easier for me ^^) and I just translate it and write it down in renpy.

These days, I'm more of 10 words per hour because I'm too lazy and just make the ui (which is kind of fun to do, I think ^^).

Destiny
Veteran
Projects: Cards of Destiny, Sky Eye

#43 Post by Destiny »

Cinnamoon wrote:Since english isn't my native langage, I just write 200 words per hour.
Actually, I write the entire plot in french (easier for me ^^) and I just translate it and write it down in renpy.
Ah, you reminded me o.o

Of course, my game is in german, my native mother tongue.
I will translate it in english too, but I guess, I will be A LOT slower then, even though I'm pretty good in english (according to the international student from america, I watch after)
Making a game in you own language is always easier (I mean, I only have to remember what the english commands are named and the rest can be easily written in german in my case)
Cards of Destiny (WIP) / Sky Eye (WIP)

Cinnamoon
Regular
Projects: Crystal Aria ~Starlight (20%), かわいいなリズム (38%)
Organization: CoffeeCat

#44 Post by Cinnamoon »

Destiny wrote:
Cinnamoon wrote:Since english isn't my native langage, I just write 200 words per hour.
Ah, you reminded me o.o

Of course, my game is in german, my native mother tongue.
I will translate it in english too, but I guess, I will be A LOT slower then, even though I'm pretty good in english (according to the international student from america, I watch after)
Making a game in you own language is always easier (I mean, I only have to remember what the english commands are named and the rest can be easily written in german in my case)
I agree : it is muuuuuch slower to write it in english when it isn't your native language (^_^)/
Actually, if your english is good, I think you should try and just make the game in english maybe ?
As for me, I really don't have the time to make my game in both language, so I figured I should just make it worldwide by writing in english haha ^^
It doesn't make it easier, though.

TrickWithAKnife
Eileen-Class Veteran
Projects: Rika
Organization: Solo (for now)
IRC Nick: Trick

#45 Post by TrickWithAKnife »

Obscura wrote:I think I'm probably one of the slowest writers I know. It can take me an hour to churn out 200 words. 1000 words might take me half a day.

It's not like I end up with pristine, polished results either. That same material I'll end up editing, trashing, and re-editing at least three more times before I'm done with it.
Sounds pretty similar to me, speed-wise. I tend to do a lot of changes as I'm writing as well.
Even then, it depends if I'm actually writing. I do spend a decent amount of my time on programming too.
After maybe 3 months, there is only 18,000 words spread across 2,350 screens of dialogue. A little scary knowing that some people here could do that much in a week.

Actually, I'm planning to put an early demo out in July. I'm hoping that some kind people will tear it apart so I can figure out what changes I need to make. With a clearer direction for the writing, I might be able to boost my writing speed a bit.
"We must teach them through the tools with which they are comfortable."
The #renpy IRC channel is a great place to chat with other devs. Due to the nature of IRC and timezone differences, people probably won't reply right away.

If you'd like to view or use any code from my VN PM me. All code is freely available without restriction, but also without warranty or (much) support.