Do we have any shooters/firearms owners here?

Forum organization and occasional community-building.
Forum rules
Questions about Ren'Py should go in the Ren'Py Questions and Announcements forum.
Daggett
Regular
Projects: The Gensoukyou Conspiracy (suspended), The Tribulation Of a Torn Anima (suspended), The Gensoukyou Project Funsized Edition
Organization: None

Do we have any shooters/firearms owners here?

#1 Post by Daggett »

I was just wondering if we have any shooters/firearms owners on Lemma soft? If so, what gun do you like to shoot and what do you use it for? I assume this is okay to post this topic and here?

I have a Mosin Nagant 91/30 and I like to shoot at targets from long ranges.
Individuality's fine... As long as we all do it together.

redeyesblackpanda
Eileen-Class Veteran
Projects: Eternal Memories, plot bunnies that won't die.
Organization: HellPanda Studios

Re: Do we have any shooters/firearms owners here?

#2 Post by redeyesblackpanda »

Hm... I've shot bows, various shot guns, and rifles, but I'm not an avid shooter, and I don't actually own any myself. :lol:

Being a Boy Scout was winning.
(All projects currently on a hiatus of sorts. I blame life.)
Tsundere VN
Not really checking the forums any more due to time constraints, so if you want to contact me, PM. I'll get a notification and log in. :mrgreen:
Also, I've been hit and run posting, which means I don't see many replies. If you want to respond to something I've said, also feel free to PM me.

NOTE: if you've got questions about vnovel or things like that, it's Leon that you should be contacting. Leon's been pretty much handling everything, but due to various reasons, I've had to withdraw entirely.

Gear
Miko-Class Veteran
Projects: Tempestus Sum
Organization: Xenokos Interactive
IRC Nick: Gear

#3 Post by Gear »

I have a .22 Colt I bought when I got home from Iraq. Haven't even fired it yet, but I keep it solely for defense of the home. Living in Texas, it kinda comes with the imaginary spurs and cowboy hat. For personal defense, I usually have a pocket knife on me, and I study martial arts, so I don't usually carry an actual firearm around with me anymore.
The best reason to get up in the morning is to outdo yourself: to do it better than you've ever done it before. But if you haven't done it better by nightfall... look at your globe and pick a spot: it's always morning somewhere.

PyTom
Ren'Py Creator
Completed: Moonlight Walks
Projects: Ren'Py
IRC Nick: renpytom
Github: renpytom
itch: renpytom

#4 Post by PyTom »

I have a Mossberg 500 shotgun, and two Ruger 10/22 rimfire rifles. One of the 10/22s is really nice - it was won by a friend of mine that's a competition shooter, and he gave it to me as a graduation present when I got my doctorate.
Supporting creators since 2004
(When was the last time you backed up your game?)
"Do good work." - Virgil Ivan "Gus" Grissom
Software > Drama • https://www.patreon.com/renpytom

Daggett
Regular
Projects: The Gensoukyou Conspiracy (suspended), The Tribulation Of a Torn Anima (suspended), The Gensoukyou Project Funsized Edition

#5 Post by Daggett »

So, I don't bump the thread three consecutive times, I'll just do it in one go.

redeyesblackpanda: I have never got the chance to fire a bow, but I always wanted to try.

Gear: I'd say. But I bet the martial arts would come in handy more that a gun most of the times.

Pytom: Nice. 10/22 are really nice. I always wished the magazines were easier to get out though. What type of Mossberg 500 do you have? That was nice of him.

Crocosquirrel
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Mobile Food Madness, Super Otome Quest
Projects: Academy Daze
Organization: Polymorphic Games

#6 Post by Crocosquirrel »

Guns are more effective at range, and not so much up close, presuming you know how to shoot. If you don't, then you still want to stay out of easy reach of most martial artists. For myself, I keep and carry a Browning 9mm, and I own an M1911A1. I have a second Browning I keep in a box under my desk. That one gets cleaned when unwelcome house-guests are about. Firing pin's upstairs, and the magazine is in the kitchen.

Strangely enough, I've never needed to go upstairs...
I'm going to get off my soap-box now, and let you get back to your day.

Academy Daze- Back in production! Complete with ecchi-ness ;)

Gambit74
Regular

#7 Post by Gambit74 »

My grandparents used to have a rifle stowed away in the closet at their home when I was little. I don't remember what kind it was since the last time I saw it was when I was like 5-6 years old though, but I remember my gramps would sometimes take it out and show it to me. Though I've never fired any guns before, I have shot a bow a couple of times when I visited my friend's house.
Nothing to see here, folks. For now, anyway...

Lumen_Astrum
Dystopian Princess
Completed: Soul and Heart, Twin Faces
Projects: Soul and Heart Replay; The Court of the Two Sides (tentative title)
Organization: Lion Box Studios
Tumblr: lumenizampel

#8 Post by Lumen_Astrum »

My father has a small pistol, an air gun, and what seems like a mini-armalite at home, the first two of them I've handled and fired at least once for defense, although I never knew where they are stored. The pistol bullets are kept in a toolbox along with wrenches and other tools, while the airgun bullets are kept in a small plastic candy jar XD

Also I've shot bows but I'm never good at it.

The hardest thing I've shot with a gun is bottle lid stuck in a wall (but I do remember hitting the lid from a meter or so away...) and plus I find the guns heavy, so they never pleased me in any way.

I bring a knife intended for crafting and a cutter in my pocket as a defense weapon. Not that great, but at least it will be of some use.

Daggett
Regular

#9 Post by Daggett »

Lumen_Astrum wrote:The hardest thing I've shot with a gun is bottle lid stuck in a wall (but I do remember hitting the lid from a meter or so away...) and plus I find the guns heavy, so they never pleased me in any way.
Were you shooting at your wall? I hope you at least mean the air gun.

redeyesblackpanda
Eileen-Class Veteran
Projects: Eternal Memories, plot bunnies that won't die.
Organization: HellPanda Studios

#10 Post by redeyesblackpanda »

I shot an arrow into one of my walls once...
(All projects currently on a hiatus of sorts. I blame life.)
Tsundere VN
Not really checking the forums any more due to time constraints, so if you want to contact me, PM. I'll get a notification and log in. :mrgreen:
Also, I've been hit and run posting, which means I don't see many replies. If you want to respond to something I've said, also feel free to PM me.

NOTE: if you've got questions about vnovel or things like that, it's Leon that you should be contacting. Leon's been pretty much handling everything, but due to various reasons, I've had to withdraw entirely.

Daggett
Regular

#11 Post by Daggett »

redeyesblackpanda wrote:I shot an arrow into one of my walls once...
Haha. Better than a bullet though. Or at least it did go through your window.

Taleweaver
Writing Maniac
Completed: Metropolitan Blues, The Loyal Kinsman, Daemonophilia, The Dreaming, The Thirteenth Year, Adrift, Bionic Heart 2, Secrets of the Wolf, The Photographer
Projects: The Pilgrim's Path, Elspeth's Garden, Secret Adventure Game!
Organization: Tall Tales Productions

#12 Post by Taleweaver »

redeyesblackpanda wrote:I shot an arrow into one of my walls once...
At least it didn't hit your knee, or you wouldn't be an adventurer any more...

Me, I own a few BB pellet guns and rifles, mostly replicas of Heckler & Koch stuff; the only thing that somewhat breaks the mold is a god-awful Chinese BB gun modeled after an AK-47. Looks beautiful but falls apart the moment you're actually trying to use it.

It's a little more difficult to own any real guns if you live in Germany, and there's no such thing as a "carry permit" in our country unless you need the gun professionally (i.e. hunter, soldier, law enforcement, security business). You're allowed to carry gun replicas that can only fire blanks or tear gas for self defense, but you need to register them and get a "small permit". And if you own any real firearms, you must prove you have a safe at home where you can lock them in and thus prevent them from getting stolen or accidentally found by people who aren't allowed to use them.

I still have tons of fun meeting with friends and pelting one another with BB pellets.
Scriptwriter and producer of Metropolitan Blues
Creator of The Loyal Kinsman
Scriptwriter and director of Daemonophilia
Scriptwriter and director of The Dreaming
Scriptwriter of Zenith Chronicles
Scriptwriter and director of The Thirteenth Year
Scriptwriter and director of Romance is Dead
Scriptwriter and producer of Adrift
More about me in my blog
"Adrift - Like Ever17, but without the Deus Ex Machina" - HigurashiKira

Lumen_Astrum
Dystopian Princess
Completed: Soul and Heart, Twin Faces
Projects: Soul and Heart Replay; The Court of the Two Sides (tentative title)
Organization: Lion Box Studios
Tumblr: lumenizampel

#13 Post by Lumen_Astrum »

Daggett wrote:
Lumen_Astrum wrote:The hardest thing I've shot with a gun is bottle lid stuck in a wall (but I do remember hitting the lid from a meter or so away...) and plus I find the guns heavy, so they never pleased me in any way.
Were you shooting at your wall? I hope you at least mean the air gun.
I shot on a plastic lid stuck on a wall, with a pistol. XD I remember it was around when I was 8 or 9, and I haven't seen the airgun up until brother used it a year ago.

Airguns are more fun to use though, they feel more balanced for me than the pistol despite the weight.

Lishy
Miko-Class Veteran

#14 Post by Lishy »

No, but I wish to become a firearm owner. I wish to possess an m16 for completely non-violent purposes because they are used as a melee weapon in Krav Maga I need to train with just as a Kenjutsu practitioner needs his sword.

Unfortunately, Canadian laws supposedly forbid me from possessing an m16. Even worse, I live in a connected house, so IF someone ever let's just say, breaks into my house, if I try to shoot the guy and I miss, it would seriously cause a mess if it hits their wall and breaks something in their house (or worse, kills them...)

I think I might get a musket though, since they are very good for show incase someone does break in. Even if their shots are inaccurate, they can still be used like a long-ranged spear. Plus, since the people who usually break into houses arehey seem fairly tolerated in Canada without too much trouble, and they can also be used as a good, long-range spear too, if my shot misses tthe target. usually uneducated "gangstas" types of people who don't know what muskets really are, they would assume a musket is more powerful than it really is, and flee. Well, that's assuming I don't stab the bastard with it...

On second thought, a musket would be a pain in the ass. I just want ANYTHING I can use to fend off criminals from my home...

Maybe a 9mm pistol is enough?
-

PyTom
Ren'Py Creator
Completed: Moonlight Walks
Projects: Ren'Py
IRC Nick: renpytom
Github: renpytom
itch: renpytom

#15 Post by PyTom »

I've always been a fan of the pump-action shotgun for home defense. From what I understand, most shot is light enough that it's unlikely to penetrate walls and other structures. More importantly, a 12-gauge has a ginormous barrel, and a quite distinctive sound made by the action.

The hope is that most criminals have a rational interest in self-preservation, and that by appealing to that, we can defend ourselves without having to fire.

Note: These are my own thoughts, and not legal advice - especially not for places that are not the US. I'm by no means a firearms expert. Hurting people is a bad thing.
Supporting creators since 2004
(When was the last time you backed up your game?)
"Do good work." - Virgil Ivan "Gus" Grissom
Software > Drama • https://www.patreon.com/renpytom