How little is too little internal dialog?

Forum organization and occasional community-building.
Forum rules
Questions about Ren'Py should go in the Ren'Py Questions and Announcements forum.
Daggett
Regular
Projects: The Gensoukyou Conspiracy (suspended), The Tribulation Of a Torn Anima (suspended), The Gensoukyou Project Funsized Edition
Organization: None

How little is too little internal dialog?

#1 Post by Daggett »

I was going over the games I created today and I realized that they seem to very little internal dialog. I have played other games and they seem to have much more than mine do. Do you think this is a bad thing?
Individuality's fine... As long as we all do it together.

redeyesblackpanda
Eileen-Class Veteran
Projects: Eternal Memories, plot bunnies that won't die.
Organization: HellPanda Studios

Re: How little is too little internal dialog?

#2 Post by redeyesblackpanda »

This depends largely on your story. A sample might help. Some stories don't need any internal dialogue. :)
(All projects currently on a hiatus of sorts. I blame life.)
Tsundere VN
Not really checking the forums any more due to time constraints, so if you want to contact me, PM. I'll get a notification and log in. :mrgreen:
Also, I've been hit and run posting, which means I don't see many replies. If you want to respond to something I've said, also feel free to PM me.

NOTE: if you've got questions about vnovel or things like that, it's Leon that you should be contacting. Leon's been pretty much handling everything, but due to various reasons, I've had to withdraw entirely.

LateWhiteRabbit
Eileen-Class Veteran
Projects: The Space Between

#3 Post by LateWhiteRabbit »

Daggett wrote:I was going over the games I created today and I realized that they seem to very little internal dialog. I have played other games and they seem to have much more than mine do. Do you think this is a bad thing?
Ack! No offense to you, but people need to stop posting questions like this. Like most things, the answer is "it depends". It depends on your story, the tone of your story, your personal writing style and ability, etc. There is no right or wrong answer.

You can't make a game by committee by asking for preferences and doing polling either. Well, you can, but it usually ends in an awful mess. Trust your vision, your idea, and your story. Does it work better with more internal dialog? Do you need to explain the protagonists thoughts? Does it work better with less? Try both ways and decide which you like.

Daggett
Regular
Projects: The Gensoukyou Conspiracy (suspended), The Tribulation Of a Torn Anima (suspended), The Gensoukyou Project Funsized Edition

#4 Post by Daggett »

LateWhiteRabbit wrote:
Daggett wrote:I was going over the games I created today and I realized that they seem to very little internal dialog. I have played other games and they seem to have much more than mine do. Do you think this is a bad thing?
Ack! No offense to you, but people need to stop posting questions like this. Like most things, the answer is "it depends". It depends on your story, the tone of your story, your personal writing style and ability, etc. There is no right or wrong answer.

You can't make a game by committee by asking for preferences and doing polling either. Well, you can, but it usually ends in an awful mess. Trust your vision, your idea, and your story. Does it work better with more internal dialog? Do you need to explain the protagonists thoughts? Does it work better with less? Try both ways and decide which you like.
Thanks and sorry. I have been second guessing myself all day about it and thought I could get some answers. I do like your tips, and will think those points over. Do you think I should close this thread then?

LateWhiteRabbit
Eileen-Class Veteran
Projects: The Space Between

#5 Post by LateWhiteRabbit »

Daggett wrote: Thanks and sorry. I have been second guessing myself all day about it and thought I could get some answers. I do like your tips, and will think those points over. Do you think I should close this thread then?
Haha. No, that would be a bit mean for me to suggest. But I really don't think you're going to get any definitive or satisfactory answer to your question. But it is up to you whether or not you wish to continue discussing it - just as it is ultimately up to you to determine the right balance of internal dialog for your story.

Daggett
Regular

#6 Post by Daggett »

LateWhiteRabbit wrote:
Daggett wrote: Thanks and sorry. I have been second guessing myself all day about it and thought I could get some answers. I do like your tips, and will think those points over. Do you think I should close this thread then?
Haha. No, that would be a bit mean for me to suggest. But I really don't think you're going to get any definitive or satisfactory answer to your question. But it is up to you whether or not you wish to continue discussing it - just as it is ultimately up to you to determine the right balance of internal dialog for your story.
I might give it until midnight, which is an hour away. I will be trying your suggestions and thanks once again. :)

luminarious
Veteran
Projects: Winter, winter

#7 Post by luminarious »

Hemingway did just fine without any internal dialogue.

SundownKid
Lemma-Class Veteran
Completed: Icebound, Selenon Rising Ep. 1-2
Projects: Selenon Rising Ep. 3-4
Organization: Fastermind Games
Deviantart: sundownkid

#8 Post by SundownKid »

My story is completely external dialog with no thoughts from the main character... probably because I've done screenwriting prior, but I felt like that would increase the sense of atmosphere compared to a narrator who was running his mouth all the time and in between dialog.

Daggett
Regular

#9 Post by Daggett »

That's a good point, SundownKid. I'll probably just keep toying with my script until I'm satisfied.

Ionait
Regular
Organization: Chu! Bam! Pow!

#10 Post by Ionait »

Whenever I secondguess myself, I remember why I play VNs and other video games, or why I continue to love books. It's because whatever you're in the mood for, there is a different type or style you can find. If everybody made all of their VNs the same way or based on a poll, VNs, books, video games, they'd all feel so much the same! It would be horrible and I'd get tired of it so quickly! It's because of variety that we keep playing!

Daggett
Regular

#11 Post by Daggett »

Ionait wrote:Whenever I secondguess myself, I remember why I play VNs and other video games, or why I continue to love books. It's because whatever you're in the mood for, there is a different type or style you can find. If everybody made all of their VNs the same way or based on a poll, VNs, books, video games, they'd all feel so much the same! It would be horrible and I'd get tired of it so quickly! It's because of variety that we keep playing!
Wow. That's a good way to think about it. And it's true!