Magical Diary on Steam!

Forum organization and occasional community-building.
Forum rules
Questions about Ren'Py should go in the Ren'Py Questions and Announcements forum.
jack_norton
Lemma-Class Veteran
Completed: Too many! See my homepage
Projects: A lot! See www.winterwolves.com
Tumblr: winterwolvesgames

Magical Diary on Steam!

#1 Post by jack_norton »

So, looks like another Ren'Py game is on Steam. The great Magical Diary by Hanako:
http://store.steampowered.com/app/211340/
congrats! I'm really happy to see this game because it was basically Hanako that introduced me to visual novels/dating sims and to Ren'Py, so I think she greatly deserved it.

Who's next? Maybe sakevisual, moacube, dischan, nekomura, redpanda or zeiva? :mrgreen:
Last edited by jack_norton on Thu May 31, 2012 2:02 pm, edited 2 times in total.
follow me on Image Image Image
computer games

Mirage
Veteran

Re: Magical Diary on Steam!

#2 Post by Mirage »

Congrats, Hanako~! :D

lol, I doubt I'll ever make it. I think you, Jack probably has the most chance out of everyone. :D

mugenjohncel
Hentai Poofter
Organization: Studio Mugenjohncel

#3 Post by mugenjohncel »

jack_norton wrote:Who's next? Maybe sakevisual or zeiva?
Uh... Studio Mugenjohncel?... While I am foreseeing a very disturbing trend and quite possibly a big problem in the near future regarding Ren'py games jumping on steam I'd keep my thoughts to myself for now and say Congratulations for making it Big!

"POOF" (Disappears)
Last edited by mugenjohncel on Thu May 31, 2012 2:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jack_norton
Lemma-Class Veteran
Completed: Too many! See my homepage
Projects: A lot! See www.winterwolves.com
Tumblr: winterwolvesgames

#4 Post by jack_norton »

Mirage wrote: lol, I doubt I'll ever make it. I think you, Jack probably has the most chance out of everyone. :D
Haha no. Seriously speaking, I think the next one will be Moacube and then probably Dischan.
follow me on Image Image Image
computer games

Anarchy
Veteran
Projects: Fairy Tales of Innocent Children

#5 Post by Anarchy »

This is amazing, congrats!!
Who's next? Maybe sakevisual, moacube, dischan, nekomura, redpanda or zeiva?
EVERYBODY

Gambit74
Regular

#6 Post by Gambit74 »

Congrats! It's great to see that the West is starting to become more and more aware of VNs in general :) .
Nothing to see here, folks. For now, anyway...

clua
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Stormy Night /The Knife of the Traitor/Charlatans
Projects: The Hurtful Wall /_Salomon/Infurubia
Tumblr: notttt-che
itch: chegovia

#7 Post by clua »

Congratulations!! Wow I wish more EVN s enter on steam XD!
♦WIP♦
Infurubia
The hurtful wall
_Salomon

♦COMPLETE♦
+The Knife of the Traitor(Nanoreno 2012)
+Charlatans(Nanoreno 2015)

Dev tumblr
EVN Store

LateWhiteRabbit
Eileen-Class Veteran
Projects: The Space Between

#8 Post by LateWhiteRabbit »

Hanako definitely deserves it. I've been wondering why her games haven't gotten on Steam before this, seeing as how they are more gameplay oriented than most VNs. I've already bought Magical Diary, but I'm tempted to buy it again on Steam just to show my support of Valve embracing VNs.
Mugenjohncell wrote:... I am foreseeing a very disturbing trend and quite possibly a big problem in the near future regarding Ren'py games jumping on steam I'd keep my thoughts to myself for now . . .
I don't think we have to worry about that. Valve is VERY picky about what games they let on Steam. Basically your game has to be popular and successful BEFORE it can get on Steam, it has to meet the quality standards of all their judging staff, and it has to incorporate Steamworks. Plus, Christina mentioned Valve approached HER to put Analogue on Steam, the same is likely the case with Hanako.

According to most indie developers, waiting to get approval from Steam on various steps can take months too.

south desert islander
Regular

#9 Post by south desert islander »

LateWhiteRabbit wrote:Hanako definitely deserves it. I've been wondering why her games haven't gotten on Steam before this, seeing as how they are more gameplay oriented than most VNs. I've already bought Magical Diary, but I'm tempted to buy it again on Steam just to show my support of Valve embracing VNs.
Mugenjohncell wrote:... I am foreseeing a very disturbing trend and quite possibly a big problem in the near future regarding Ren'py games jumping on steam I'd keep my thoughts to myself for now . . .
I don't think we have to worry about that. Valve is VERY picky about what games they let on Steam. Basically your game has to be popular and successful BEFORE it can get on Steam, it has to meet the quality standards of all their judging staff, and it has to incorporate Steamworks. Plus, Christina mentioned Valve approached HER to put Analogue on Steam, the same is likely the case with Hanako.

According to most indie developers, waiting to get approval from Steam on various steps can take months too.
I want to beleive this, but after seeing Revelations 2012 get on Steam, I am suspicious about the process. Rev. 2012 is quite possibly one of the most horrible games I have every seen. I do not doubt what you are saying, but Valve has this weird process of letting games in their service.

papillon
Arbiter of the Internets
Completed: lots; see website!
Projects: something mysterious involving yuri, usually
Organization: Hanako Games
Tumblr: hanakogames

#10 Post by papillon »

Existing customers will be able to get steam keys from me as soon as I have it set up properly, although I'm not gonig to stop you from buying it again if you want to! :)

While I doubt anyone will believe me, this game being on there has nothing to do with Analogue, the deal was made a long time ago and just took a good while to get all the ducks in a row. It is not as simple as just 'jumping on'.
I want to beleive this, but after seeing Revelations 2012 get on Steam, I am suspicious about the process. Rev. 2012 is quite possibly one of the most horrible games I have every seen. I do not doubt what you are saying, but Valve has this weird process of letting games in their service.
Basically, there are two main ways into Steam for an indie.

1. Someone on their staff personally likes your game.
2. Someone whose opinion they trust likes your game. This is where reviews and competitions like the IGF can make a big difference.

Auro-Cyanide
ssǝʇunoƆ ʇɹ∀
Completed: http://auro-cyanide.tumblr.com/visualnovels
Projects: Athena
Organization: Cyanide Tea
Tumblr: auro-cyanide
Deviantart: Auro-Cyanide

#11 Post by Auro-Cyanide »

Congrats Papillon! It's really nice seeing these types of games get out there!

Blane Doyle
Miko-Class Veteran
Organization: Autumn Eclectic

#12 Post by Blane Doyle »

AHA! I heard one of the Hanako games was getting on Steam and I KNEW it would be this one! (for clear reasons I think)

Congrats!

Pyonkotchi
Veteran
Projects: Magical Warrior Diamond Heart, unLucky Love, Phantom Thief Asterism
Tumblr: magicalwarriordiamondheart
Deviantart: PastelPyon
itch: Pyonkotchi

#13 Post by Pyonkotchi »

I love steam and I love hanakogames and I'd buy it if only I had a computer XD

Congraaaats n3n