Hello!

Forum organization and occasional community-building.
Forum rules
Questions about Ren'Py should go in the Ren'Py Questions and Announcements forum.
MikeAngel05

Hello!

#1 Post by MikeAngel05 »

Hello!

As you can see I'm new here. Well, I just wanted to present myself and talk a little about my game project; that, by now, isn't much. :?

About me: You can call me Mike or MikeAngel, I'm 19 years old and I love videogames and anime...that's why I found Ren'py the way to fuse those things. I also love to do things on the computer, draw and play a bit of guitar(well, I used to). Favorite Sport: Soccer. Favorite color: blue (you don't need to know this :roll:) thats all.:)

I'm new to the world of game developers but I now a bit of programming so I hope that it helps me to create my game. I have programmed on Visual Basic; I know that Ren'py was created with python ( I had never worked on that) but there are some little similitudes.

About my game: Well, I just started on it just some days ago so there isn't too much to talk about it :oops: The main problem with my project is that English ISN'T my naive language and due to this I am not quite sure if my game can be that good because... you know, I can't be a good visual novel if the 'novel' part isn't kind of missing.

Thats all... thanks for reading!

ShiraiJunichi
Miko-Class Veteran

#2 Post by ShiraiJunichi »

Welcome to the forums, Mike.

You might want to first try writing your game in your native language, and then translate it to English the best you can. Then you could probably find someone to proofread the English, and fix any errors. I've done stuff like that in the past, and may be willing to help you out- depending on what kind of project it is ^_^

monele
Lemma-Class Veteran

#3 Post by monele »

Not to dampen the mood but I've been stuck with my untranslated project for a while :/... going through everything a whole other time to translate is a huge work, so... unless you have a small project, keep that in mind.
Now that this is out of the way, welcome and good luck on your game ^.^

mikey
Lemma-Class Veteran
itch: atpprojects

#4 Post by mikey »

monele wrote:Not to dampen the mood but I've been stuck with my untranslated project for a while :/... going through everything a whole other time to translate is a huge work, so... unless you have a small project, keep that in mind.^.^
Aaah, the (creation) story of Gakuen Redux... First ENG, then SVK and back to ENG one more time. The whole thing. It's the death. :(

Oh, hi MikeAngel, and welcome to this optimistic place! :P

MikeAngel05

#5 Post by MikeAngel05 »

Thanks to everyone for the greetings! Hey ShiraiJunichi in what kind of projects would you help me?

Alessio
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: GO! Magical Boy (2006), Angelic Orbs (soundtrack)
Projects: Cyberlin (in progress)

Re: Hello!

#6 Post by Alessio »

MikeAngel05 wrote:The main problem with my project is that English ISN'T my naive language and due to this I am not quite sure if my game can be that good because... you know, I can't be a good visual novel if the 'novel' part isn't kind of missing.
It depends a bit on what you are aiming for - if it's high poetry/literature I'd agree. But if you mainly want to tell a story, and are reasonably good at English (reasonably = people understand what you mean), then it's quite OK to write in English.

Although mikey has a point, it would generate much more work to first write everything in your own language and then to find somebody who can actually translate it. Whereas if you write in "semi-appropriate English", many people will be able to add the final polishing touch.

Just my 2 Euro cents. :)

ShiraiJunichi
Miko-Class Veteran

#7 Post by ShiraiJunichi »

I only know English, so take that into consideration, but it seems to me that making a creative work is tough- and doing it in a foreign language is even tougher. And so I would think that the overall quality of a game would improve if it's originally written in a language the author is very familiar with. And I'd think you'd want to have the game in your own langauge as well anyway. But it would be a lot of extra work. Especially if your game is 10 hours long... O_o;;;

Mike >> I'd be willing to help in revising/correcting pretty much anything that's family friendly. If your characters curse every other sentence, you'd probably want to find someone else ^_^;;; Otherwise I'd have to get a little creative with my vocabulary of euphemisms so it doesn't get repetitive- and you probably wouldn't like that. Correction. Probably no one wants that.
And if you're using Ren'Py, I'd be even more inclined to help out. Correcting typos in a Ren'Py script is so easy, I'm very surprised that all game creators who are still learning English don't find someone else to review their script before they release their games.

MikeAngel05

#8 Post by MikeAngel05 »

Alessio, I started my project in English so I would finished it in that way. Maybe I'll translate it to my language some time after it's completed.

ShiraiJunichi, my project is family friendly. I doesn't use courses on my stories and I doubt I turns into an H-game . :o

monele
Lemma-Class Veteran

#9 Post by monele »

It's true that I chose to write mine in french first because I thought it would be written better... but when comes to the time to translate, it makes things even more difficult and I often dumb it down to avoid spending one minute on each sentence ^^;.
Maybe I'll translate it to my language some time after it's completed.
Sounds like an idea. I'd like to know if it's easier or the same. I think it might be easier in that you would write something simple since it's not in your native language, and then you would more naturally find translated sentences in your language. To see :)