Please tell me about your country and town/city

Forum organization and occasional community-building.
Forum rules
Questions about Ren'Py should go in the Ren'Py Questions and Announcements forum.
TrickWithAKnife
Eileen-Class Veteran
Projects: Rika
Organization: Solo (for now)
IRC Nick: Trick

Please tell me about your country and town/city

#1 Post by TrickWithAKnife »

I want to add a lot of personalised content to the game I'm working on, and knowing more about other people's countries would help a lot.

So, I'd like you to tell me a little about your country and maybe a town or city in your country too if you want. Just brief info if possible.
And it doesn't have to be facts and figures. It's more about what you think.
Also, don't be too detailed about the town if it's your home town. Gotta keep your privacy.

Here's an example:
It's not so crowded. People tend to be easy going, and there is a lot of nature. The national sport is rugby.
There is a great beach in Mount Maunganui. The fish & chips there are great. The main language is English, but more and more people are able to speak varying amounts of Maori. NZSL (New Zealand Sign Language) is recognised as the third official language.

City: Tauranga
Quite small city, but very close to Mount Maunganui. It's the birthplace of cheezy-wheezies, the greatest food ever created.
Of course I could just search wikipedia, but it lacks that personal touch.

Please note that I may use what you write in the game. Please say in your post if you don't want what you write to be used.
"We must teach them through the tools with which they are comfortable."
The #renpy IRC channel is a great place to chat with other devs. Due to the nature of IRC and timezone differences, people probably won't reply right away.

If you'd like to view or use any code from my VN PM me. All code is freely available without restriction, but also without warranty or (much) support.

RunicV
Veteran
IRC Nick: RunicV

Re: Please tell me about your country and town/city

#2 Post by RunicV »

Would you mind if I told you about Singapore? Since this is reference material for your game, I'm not sure if you would want to know more about Singapore. I wouldn't want to waste your time. >_<
Hatred: the absence of love.
Please, treat me with kindness.

TrickWithAKnife
Eileen-Class Veteran

#3 Post by TrickWithAKnife »

I want to know about many countries. Singapore would be great.

In the game, the player can choose which country and city their character is from. So if i know more about these countries, I can personalise some conversations a little more.

Plus I like hearing about other cultures and places.
Last edited by TrickWithAKnife on Wed Aug 08, 2012 9:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
The #renpy IRC channel is a great place to chat with other devs. Due to the nature of IRC and timezone differences, people probably won't reply right away.

If you'd like to view or use any code from my VN PM me. All code is freely available without restriction, but also without warranty or (much) support.

FatUnicornGames
Miko-Class Veteran
Projects: Club Shuffle

#4 Post by FatUnicornGames »

Portland OR -

Liberal, beautiful...very poor economy at the moment. Because of this an artist class is rising. Artists are moving from all across the country to live here, mostly because it costs less and they can work from anywhere. Our Motto is "Keep Portland Weird": which means you might see a bunch of homeless people, mixed with a bunch of a soccer moms, with a smidge of a guy riding a unicycle as Darth Vader and playing bagpipes (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4yTgMf1cOcQ), a giant clown terrorizing the streets (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rjETUVZZGX4, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KKqzlErzeJ0), the 24 Hour Church of Elvis Museum (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oGKpHwEPLiU) or the most amazing wedding proposal ever (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HzkEwPZW ... re=related). I love my city.

PS The Church of Elvis is straight up right outside my boyfriend's (the artist for Club Shuffle) studio.
Developer Blog for Club Shuffle - Follow and Share?
-Also! You can call me Crystal if you want.-

kankan
Regular

#5 Post by kankan »

Umm...how about Cayucos, CA (USA)?

It's a nice little town on the coast, set up to be a tourist stop but not quite there yet. Lots of little Mom n' Pop shops (I don't remember seeing any big names last time I was there), with almost everything across the street from the beach. A bit cold for swimming, and it's usually somewhat cloudy, but it's a great view. Pretty easy to say that it's still a small town, rather than a beach resort. And the buildings are a bit mismatched- there's some old western-styled buildings in the middle part of the 'downtown' area surrounded by some newer, modern(ish) looking huts. And yes, most of them serve calamari and clam chowder. But it has ice cream parlors and had (has? I didn't look for it) a tiny movie theater. I love that town though- it's weird getting such a small town vibe from a coastal city, especially since California's hyped up to be such a crowded and glamorous place.

gekiganwing
Lemma-Class Veteran

#6 Post by gekiganwing »

Regrettably, I haven't been near New Zealand in years. And while my parents have seen Singapore, I haven't.

I live just outside of Chicago. My observations on the city are as follows...

* For decades, the most famous person from the city was Al Capone, but since the late '80s, he has been replaced by Michael Jordan.
* Not many people talk or look like The Superfans.
* There's probably a hundred distinct neighborhoods. For instance, the college I attended was in one of the richest suburbs in the area. Just a short ways south and west were some of the poorest neighborhoods.
* The buses and CTA trains tend to be dirty but functional. But unless you live in (or close to) the city proper, there are very few buses and trains.
* Just about any kind of weather is possible. There have been intensely hot summer days, bitter cold winter days (and severe snowstorms), and everything in between. Every now and then, a tornado will develop near the city.

RunicV
Veteran
IRC Nick: RunicV

#7 Post by RunicV »

Singapore, Singapore.

An island, city, country and town. The climate is hot and wet. The season is summer all year round. There are people of all sorts of races and religions here. No matter what language you speak, at most people will go, "Oh, cool, they're speaking -insert language here-!" and stare at you curiously for about three seconds and then resume whatever they were doing. Most people are generally polite about religion, culture and race because of that.
In some parts of the country, people just wear singlets and shorts, while in the high-end shopping areas, most people dress well. The buildings don't reach that high compared to China or other countries. They're about a medium height. There are a wide variety of shops in Singapore. We have a diverse range of food and shopping outlets, (to cater towards tourists, I suppose). You can find most foods in Singapore.
There are plants practically wherever you look. I don't think it's possible to find a place without plants in Singapore. You can find a place without buildings, but there are greenery just about everywhere. It rains a lot, so that's good. The weather is sometimes extremely hot and unbearable, but there are times when it's noon and looks about eight pm and is freezing.
There are shoebox apartments, and also large penthouses. I think shoebox apartments are about 600 sqft only.
It's an expensive place to live in.
But it's also good, since we never have any natural disasters. The closest one we've had is a knee-high flooding at some shops, but that's about all. There is a low crime rate here, too. But people say that most people go crazy due to Singapore being a rather competitive and high-stress society.
Our education is pretty high. There are little shops at void decks where you can buy all sorts of stuff. Kinda like a mini unofficial convenience store with less variety, more junk food, and no air-conditioning.
Our tap water is drinkable straight from the tap. Most children are getting spoilt because our environment is too safe... Or so parents say. In some areas, you can find all sorts of shops. The buildings are well-maintained, but some of them are run down. We don't have any homeless people or beggars. Not that much. Maybe you'd see one beggar every two years in a normal life?

Hmm, I've written too much. Hope it was of some help, though.
Hatred: the absence of love.
Please, treat me with kindness.

Sunlit-Dreamer
Veteran
Completed: NaNo2015 Bedtime, NaNo2016 The Doll and the Spider, NaNo2017 What's Your Name?, NaNo2018 Painting Your Skin, NaNo2019 Home's Embrace, NaNo2020 Molly
Projects: NaNo2021 Cracked Moonstone
Deviantart: Sunlit-Dreamer
itch: Sunlit-Dreamer

#8 Post by Sunlit-Dreamer »

Is it all right if I post about two towns? Meh I will anyway.

Current place I live. Clovis, NM.

A small town that is dry and dusty. By dusty, I mean just about every single day where it's impossible to enjoy lying down in the sun without getting dust in your eyes. And during night or when it rains, it smells absolutely terrible. Those who live there have either been there for years due to family having lived there, owning a farm, or moving there due to job transfer or military transfer to the Cannon Air Force Base. Those who move there immediately wish to move somewhere else soon, but have to do their time. (I believe job transfers have to wait at least 1 year before applying for another job from what my mom told me) Residents already living here, they have accepted it and get their fun by driving out to either Lubbock or Portales. Note: No one here can drive and there's always a possibility of a crash no matter where you are.

Where I used to live. Zion, IL.

A small town that is growing. Located next to Lake Michigan. Has an abandoned power plant. Has a few farms that grow corn if my memory's right. The high school has three middle school graduates go to it, having at least 2,000 students per year last time I checked. The town is friendly, you can safely bring the kids to the park or dogs out for a walk without worries about being followed, jumped, etc. Although there are rare chances of being mugged by a hobo. (Happened to my little sister) Friends tend to hang out at each other's houses, outside, or K-Mart, which is located across the street from the movie theatre. During summer time, everyone tends to go to Gurnee Mills Mall and 6 Flags. If anyone feels like eating out, the restaurants are just 30 min away. From Cracker Barrel, Golden Corral, Old Country Buffet, to Red Lobster, IHOP, and Joe's Crab Shack along with other famous restaurants. A very nice place to live for family people, but not suited for those looking for high paying jobs or fancy houses.

Of course, this is all just my opinion.
ImageImageImageImage

TrickWithAKnife
Eileen-Class Veteran

#9 Post by TrickWithAKnife »

Thanks everyone. I will probably use bits and pieces from what has been written.
I hope many more people will add to this. And you can choose more than one place. For example, I spent a year in London, so I'll be adding some info about it too.

I think one major challenge in games or even books, is making the player/reader feel some kind of attachment to the main character(s).

I can only recall one game I've played where a major character was a New Zealander like myself. It felt kind of special to me, because I instantly felt a bit of a connection before even playing. But then when I did play, I realized the people who actually designed and voiced the character have probably never ever met a New Zealander. It killed it for me.

I know the chances of the players being from one of the cities mentioned in this topic are incredibly low, but for those that do match, maybe it will make them happy. Not just hearing about their home, but having the main character talk about it in a way that only someone from that place would.

As for countries, that has a higher chance of matching the player's choice.

Sharm
Miko-Class Veteran
Projects: Twin Crowns, Weather Wizard

#10 Post by Sharm »

I've lived most of my life in the more populated areas of Utah, around Salt Lake City, though never in the city itself. Being from one city or another isn't really a big difference, the only thing separating one city from another is a sign post saying "Welcome to Sandy" or something. It's all one big suburb with Salt Lake being the only real metropolis. Distances are measured in how long it takes to get there and getting to that place is super easy, almost never requiring GPS or a map. Nearly all roads line up with the cardinal directions and get numbered according to how far they are from the center of Salt Lake City. The roads in Salt Lake itself are unusually wide, so it has a more open feel than most big cities. Since it was all originally settled by the LDS people and many of the people are members, so there are things like churches in every neighborhood and the center of Salt Lake is what's called "Temple Square". Temple square has the Salt Lake temple (a very pretty castle like building that you can see from the freeway despite being surrounded by skyscrapers) and many other church office buildings and visitors centers. The most secular people tend to live in the city itself. The mountains dominate the skyline, Salt Lake Valley is nearly completely surrounded by them. Most people figure out what direction their facing by looking to the east at the rockies. Because it's shaped a lot like a bowl we get something called inversion where the hot, smoggy air gets trapped inside and the wind can't get inside the bowl to clear it out. Usually it's worse in the summer and it just sticks around until the next rainstorm. Most people have gone camping sometime in their life, and by that I mean roughing it in a tent and going hiking in the mountains. Families are really important here and so there are lots and lots of things to do with children. If you're used to the party life you've got to look a little harder to find it, a good portion of the populace doesn't drink alcohol at all. As is normally the case in a place dominated by religion, you'll find a number of people who are part of it because it's "the thing to do" and not because of any real belief and children acting out against it just to prove they aren't their parents. There is constant pressure to preserve water because we're in a drought but because that pressure is always there even during floods everyone ignores it and does what they think is best. When it rains it normally does a steady rain for half the day, big downpours are rare and usually involve a lovely thunderstorm. The sunsets are awesome! We get a lot of our water in winter where it snows fairly regularly and doesn't often get warm enough to melt. Overall I love living there and I miss it very much.

Okay, I may have rambled on too much. Hope it's helpful!
Works in Progress: Twin Crowns | Weather Wizard

Sapphi
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: Boku no Taisetsu na Yumeko
Projects: Twelve, PAW ★ PRINTS
Organization: Kitsch-soft

#11 Post by Sapphi »

A shining land of opportunity... for extroverts. Due to outsourcing of most physical labor to other countries, entry-level jobs are mostly retail, fast food, call centers, or door-to-door sales. People complain about gas prices but turn around and buy enormous SUVs and trucks because they like the ego boost more. Most boxy older cars have disappeared since the government's Cash for Clunkers program (The bane of an older-car-lover's existence) and now everyone is driving puffy new cars. People live on Hostess and Little Debbie snack cakes and donuts, supplementing this diet with plenty of Doritos and Mountain Dew. The only people I have seen who actually eat a normal diet are first-generation immigrants from places like Mexico where they still know what fruit and vegetables are. :lol:

Town: A very small midwestern village, name withheld for my safety :P
A tiny, nostalgic place which was built around a Catholic shrine. The bells ring at 6AM, 12PM, and 6PM, except for on Saturdays. Mass is at 4PM so they ring at 4 then. Train tracks run through my town and cargo trains are always coming and going. When I'm walking around and one happens to come through while I'm near the tracks, I plug my ears and watch the cars go by. They are usually graffiti'd so it's like a moving art gallery. The nicest sound to hear in the dark on a summer night is the mournful, distant sound of a train. I don't ever want to live in a place without trains.

In my town there is a mom-and-pop grocery store that sells meat. They used to throw the old meat outside when the cats lived there. I would bring food to them and watch them for hours. There was a speaker on the wall out there that played oldies music and it was so wonderful just to sit there and be alive, one of the most wonderful experiences I've ever had. I actually recorded footage of them and made a music video which (IMO) conveys the feeling of the place very well.

"It is [the writer's] privilege to help man endure by lifting his heart,
by reminding him of the courage and honor and hope and pride
and compassion and pity and sacrifice which have been the glory of his past."
— William Faulkner
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬..+X+..▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬

OtomeWeekend
Eileen-Class Veteran

#12 Post by OtomeWeekend »

If you don't mind, I'll post about Japan(even though this is not my hometown).

On the bad side, bullying is taken to the next level. Some kids commit suicides out of bullying and you'll see nothing but news about it for the next few weeks every time it happens. On the good side, people cares for the nature, the greetings, the beautiful history and the geeky stuffs.

City: Okayama
Okayama is a rural city in the Chinese Region. Know for Momotarou Legend, peach and big factories located in Mizushima(just a few blocks away from my home). --oh, and don't forget about the great Seto bridge too. Tourist spots were bikan chiku(old japanese city) and the Okayama Castle. Many says that Okayama dialect is the worst dialect around Japan as it is very informal. For example, the word hayou shi ne(hurry up and do it) might sound like hayou shine(hurry up and die) to other people outside Okayama so if you ever visit Okayama, don't be surprised if someone tells you to hurry and die because it' not what they meant at all xD
"The weak can never forgive. Forgiveness is the attribute of the strong." ---Mahatma Gandhi

I no longer use this account. Please refer to my new account, enta if you want to contact me. Thank you.

Gear
Miko-Class Veteran
Projects: Tempestus Sum
Organization: Xenokos Interactive
IRC Nick: Gear

#13 Post by Gear »

Country: United States. Not sure how much more I can expound upon this that hasn't already been done.

City: Dallas
State: Texas

Texas, being one of the more southern states in the US, is often held by others to be a rural state with lots of ranch animals, cowboy-themed dress, and people riding horses. However, major cities like Dallas, Houston, and Austin, are civilized hubs. Dallas is one of the technological centers in the US. In the center, the buildings stretch extremely high, but what sets it apart from other major cities is the willingness to build outwards. TX is the second-largest state by land area in the US. Therefore, the mentality of 'build out, not up' is widely believed. In other cities, where schools and office buildings often exceed four floors, many large buildings in Dallas are only 1-2 stories tall, but take up large swathes of real estate, some of the more extreme examples sitting on acres worth of land. There is always movement, always activity, even in the darkest hours. And heat. Even in the darkest hours, it can be triple digits.
The best reason to get up in the morning is to outdo yourself: to do it better than you've ever done it before. But if you haven't done it better by nightfall... look at your globe and pick a spot: it's always morning somewhere.

Destiny
Veteran
Projects: Cards of Destiny, Sky Eye

#14 Post by Destiny »

Town(s): Mülheim/Ruhr and Bielefeld

Germany in general is quite a strange country. While proud about many stuff (like sport, wealth, the health system), the germans are over-cautious about almost everything else, especially how they look for foreigners.
Everything that could be conisdered racist in even the slightiest bit will be a major problem, maybe even cause a nation wide problem.
Germans are also seriously worried about money. They have lot's, but they seem to always fea it might disappear. I hear others constantly nag about it.
The education system is widely considered as bad. Only about 20% of all elementary students will ever be able to attend a university. Some school types (Hauptschule) are even considered life threatening, because those are schools were the kids of poor and foreign parents go to and were aggressions are normally fought with knifes and worse. Teachers have a extremly poor reputation and are paid even worse which results in frustrated students that fail in school. Leading to germany needing good workers and taking them from other countries, what again frustrates the germans since those people "steal work".
Germans hate their own music with a few exceptions (Volksmusic is considered to be heard only by old people, the other german music is often only for minor groups like gothics, middle age fans and stuff), mainly getting music from america. The only exception is Hip Hop, but the german HIP HOP scene is considered as racist and sexistic, leading to many bans.
Germany has a really high minor protection with music, movies and games, making it almost ridicoulus hard to get some stuff. For example is Bioshock censored (the blood is green, the corpses don't look shot, burnt, etc and they disappear after some time), GTA got several scenes cut out and Dead Rising never appeared on german ground and owning it is forbidden. Most germans buy those stuff in england and austria anyway, but shops will get extreme penalitys if caught selling any of those uncensored.
Germans are extremly over-cautious with their own history and how some people treat it.
The old people could be called racist in some ways (my grandfather for example deeply hates America for some odd reasons), the youth on the other side is very open minded and loves to simply ignore WW2. The people in the middle freak out by both. While they try to hide the hating seniors they try to manipulate the young. I had to learn about WW2 and what "I" and "We" had done FIVE TIMES in school. It was always identical, full of uncensored gore. Be it videos of Nazis raping defenseless woman or showing the pile of corpses. Always saying "We" should never do that again, leaving me and my fellow students in total discomfort since we have no memory of ever doing something so cruel.
Funny is that those people get very angry when called Nazi from other countries (like some greek people when Germany cut off the money for a while or like many people in America love to call Germany the Nazi country). They get furious and I guess they are extremly cruel to anyone tending to the right because of that. They hunt them down and badmouth them, no matter if they are really racist or not (it's sometimes enough to just look like a Nazi to get to jail for a night).
BUT it is also a beautiful country with lot's of culture. Almost every bigger city has beautiful castles or other landmarks. Germany tries to keep literature and classical music alive, has lot's of museums and takes extreme care of it's historical gifts (like the baroque garden in Brühl or the Wieschurch in Freising).

So it is a really complicated country :/
But I once lived in Belgium and England, so I can at least say properly that I still love Germany very much :)
You just have to choose the right town, then you can feel right at home ^^
Depending on the town you choose it can also be harder or easier for someone without german knowledge to become a part of the country (the Ruhr area for example is perfect since it is one big checkpoint for all cultures, but without the ghettos of Berlin)

BUT the people differ greatly from place to place.
I was born in Mülheim/Ruhr, a small but previously rich city in the middle of the Ruhr area. I grew up with open-minded people that say out loud what bothers them. They can be cruel because of that, but they are also very open and friendly. It is always funny and full of action, especially since many cities here are right beneast each other (Essen, Duisburg, Oberhausen, Düsseldorf, Cologne).
I study in Bielefeld now and even though it's only 2 hours away by train, it differs extremly. People here are very silent and anti-social. Everyone does his stuff alone and in silence. They never speak up their mind and stay extremly polite most of the time. Thy often seem unfriendly, if intended or not. My only friends here are people like me that came from other parts of germany to study there, since they are also more open and easy-going.
Cards of Destiny (WIP) / Sky Eye (WIP)

Hijiri
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: Death Rule:lost code Overdrive Edition, Where the White Doves Rest-Tsumihanseishi
Projects: Death Rule: Killing System
Organization: MESI Games
IRC Nick: Hizi
Tumblr: mesigames
itch: hijiri

#15 Post by Hijiri »

Country: Born in the US, but family is from Mexico. Not much tosay about either. However, I will say that Mexico isn't very different from the US. It's just we hold tightly to our culture.

City: Rialto
State: California

A small town alongst the San Bernardino mountains and near the Cajone Pass. You really can''t go anywhere here without a car, or the bus. The population here is quite diverse, moreso than a lot of suburb towns. A lot can't really be done here since almost 3/4th of Rialto's terrain is residential area, and most people go to work or do grocery shopping in the other towns nearby 9San Bernardino, and Fontana). The weather here seems to like extremes. During the winter, it is freezing cold, and during the summer it's burning hot. Summer temperatures average at 110; add the winds from the Cajone Pass and you basicly walk into an oven. Those same winds can get ridiculusly cold, and the town becomes similar to a fridge during the winter months. The only good thing about Rialto is how clean the air is: despite being fairly close to Los Angeles and San Bernardino, the air qualiy is actually good (Helps that it sits against the foothills).
Image Image
"Perfection goal that always changes. Can pursue, cannot obtain."