Does this sub-forum exist?

Forum organization and occasional community-building.
Forum rules
Questions about Ren'Py should go in the Ren'Py Questions and Announcements forum.
Dim Sum
Regular

Does this sub-forum exist?

#1 Post by Dim Sum »

Haven't finished reading old thread yet but:
Deji wrote:tl;dr the whole argument between everybody.

I agree most of the games I've sen here are not very interesting. For me, at least.

HOWEVER, I understand people wnating to do small games, something that just gets completed and shown.

I think it would be a good idea to have one subforum specially for scrap/experimental games.
Games that are not something "good enough" or "polished enough" in one or many aspects to be considered "completed". Just things you make to get ideas out of your head, to make something and call it "complete" or to experiment without spending too much time on it.
Feedback on how to polish or complete those scrap/experimental VNs and bringing up what's good about them instead of what's so bad about them would be greatly encouraged there. After all, they're not "completed" stuff, so pointing out their uncompletedness and lack of invested time/effort would be pointless.

Completed Games subforum then would be the place where all games that have been made with ots of time and effrt are posted. They could be considered portfolio material or commercial material (regardless if they're meant to be sold or not). It should be the place where all the crit is made to the already finished piece, not to make the already finished game better, but to make the author realize what they should have payed more attention to and o what they screwed up, so they can take that into consideration next time they attempt to make a completed game. People would assume you thought about everything that could be possibly wrong in your game and fixed it beforehand, and spend all the necessary time and even more to make everything look and fit perfectly, so excuses wouldn't justify any mistake there.
Btw is there pm list for resident super harsh critics of VNs? Especially H-games? Especially real bad H-games?

Midi
Regular
Projects: Limerick Castle

Re: Does this sub-forum exist?

#2 Post by Midi »

Not sure if the sub-forum exists, but it's a good idea, I think.

Razz
Veteran
Completed: Starlight Vega, Catch Canvas, Love Ribbon, Happy Campers, Wolf Tails
Projects: Two projects
Organization: Razzartvisual

#3 Post by Razz »

I think a separate forum for 'ideas feedback' would be good, mainly because the sub-forum of 'old ideas and works in progress' confuses the heck out of me with what's actually supposed to go in there. But it would be kind of like above where you'd post a not quite polished idea and get advice on it.

SusanTheCat
Miko-Class Veteran

#4 Post by SusanTheCat »

I would think that experimental and throw away games could live in the Demos and Beta Forum.

Susan
" It's not at all important to get it right the first time. It's vitally important to get it right the last time. "
— Andrew Hunt and David Thomas