RIP Neil Armstrong

Forum organization and occasional community-building.
Forum rules
Questions about Ren'Py should go in the Ren'Py Questions and Announcements forum.
PyTom
Ren'Py Creator
Completed: Moonlight Walks
Projects: Ren'Py
IRC Nick: renpytom
Github: renpytom
itch: renpytom

RIP Neil Armstrong

#1 Post by PyTom »

Astronaut Neil Armstrong, the first man to walk on the moon, has died. The world is a tiny bit less awesome because of that.

There's a story I heard about him - I can't find the original source, but I'd like to believe it true - that before the moon landing, a reporter asked him: "If you were stuck on the moon because the engine didn't light, and you had an hour of air left, how would you spend that hour?"

Armstrong replied, "Trying to fix the engine."

Then there's the (confirmed by multiple sources) story where he was in the LLRV - an ungainly jet powered lunar landing simulator, when it started malfunctioning. He ejected from it with seconds to spare - then went back to his office and got back to work, thinking it wasn't worth mentioning to his co-workers.

Maybe the best thing about Neil Armstrong was the way he carried himself with humility, despite his awesomeness. Here's the Apollo 11 patch:
S69-34875.jpg
What don't you see there?

Unlike just about every space mission, there aren't any names on that patch. That's because (to quote CMP Michael Collins) "We wanted to keep our three names off it because we wanted the design to be representative of everyone who had worked toward a lunar landing, and there were thousands who could take a proprietary interest in it, yet who would never see their names woven into the fabric of a patch."

Armstrong could have been a moderately big celebrity - but he decided against it. And that's awesome.

Let me end it with a quote from his family, about he would have wanted to be remembered:

"Honor his example of service, accomplishment and modesty, and the next time you walk outside on a clear night and see the moon smiling down at you, think of Neil Armstrong and give him a wink."
Supporting creators since 2004
(When was the last time you backed up your game?)
"Do good work." - Virgil Ivan "Gus" Grissom
Software > Drama • https://www.patreon.com/renpytom

Sapphi
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: Boku no Taisetsu na Yumeko
Projects: Twelve, PAW ★ PRINTS
Organization: Kitsch-soft

Re: RIP Neil Armstrong

#2 Post by Sapphi »

R.I.P. Mr. Armstrong.

Thanks for taking those small steps so that we could all dream big.
"It is [the writer's] privilege to help man endure by lifting his heart,
by reminding him of the courage and honor and hope and pride
and compassion and pity and sacrifice which have been the glory of his past."
— William Faulkner
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬..+X+..▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬

DeeKay
Veteran

#3 Post by DeeKay »

Humankind has lost a great man, we will remember you for sure.
-- No longer active --
-- English/French Translation topic here
-- Hope~ - Symphony of Tomorrow alpha demo playthrough here (1h35mn long video !)

-- Current avatar by SilverHyena => her DA account

-- Check out this project if you have some time !

CheeryMoya
Miko-Class Veteran

#4 Post by CheeryMoya »

Ugh... all the heroes, villains, and celebrities from my childhood are dropping like flies. Can't blame them for growing old, but... it seems like the world I knew is slipping away. RIP to one of the greatest American heroes in recent history.

redeyesblackpanda
Eileen-Class Veteran
Projects: Eternal Memories, plot bunnies that won't die.
Organization: HellPanda Studios

#5 Post by redeyesblackpanda »

RIP Neil Armstrong indeed. I wonder if anyone would be interested in making a commemorative VN for him, or something like that. I'd do it if I had the time, but unfortunately, I don't...
(All projects currently on a hiatus of sorts. I blame life.)
Tsundere VN
Not really checking the forums any more due to time constraints, so if you want to contact me, PM. I'll get a notification and log in. :mrgreen:
Also, I've been hit and run posting, which means I don't see many replies. If you want to respond to something I've said, also feel free to PM me.

NOTE: if you've got questions about vnovel or things like that, it's Leon that you should be contacting. Leon's been pretty much handling everything, but due to various reasons, I've had to withdraw entirely.

Tetiel
Regular
Projects: Anton's Vacation EP 1 and 2 + Rising Angels (CGs/Character Selection), Katajion Kinetic Monthly (character sprites)

#6 Post by Tetiel »

I hope he was able to look back at all of his accomplishments and be fulfilled. There is no better thing in life than to be satisfied on your deathbed. We should all be so fortunate. What a great man.

MaiMai
Yandere
Completed: [Phase Shift]
Projects: [ None ]
Organization: Paper Stars
Tumblr: maiscribbles
Deviantart: maiscribble

#7 Post by MaiMai »

RIP Neil Armstrong.

Wherever you are, I can at least hope you're partying on the moon now that you've passed on.
Image COMMISSIONS AVAILABLE (check Tumblr sidebar)

ScottySeng
Regular
Completed: May-Chan
Projects: Fairy Tale, What do you see

#8 Post by ScottySeng »

"One small step for man, One giant leap for mankind"

RIP Neil Armstrong.

PyTom
Ren'Py Creator

#9 Post by PyTom »

ScottySeng wrote:"One small step for man, One giant leap for mankind"
Armstrong asked that it be written "One small step for [a] man, one giant leap for mankind." The way he intended to say it makes more sense - but it wasn't what he said, as far as anyone can tell.

DeeKay
Veteran

#10 Post by DeeKay »

PyTom wrote:Armstrong asked that it be written "One small step for [a] man, one giant leap for mankind." The way he intended to say it makes more sense - but it wasn't what he said, as far as anyone can tell.
Given what we know about his personality, I'm not surprised he would have wanted to say it this way. This is soo like him.
-- No longer active --
-- English/French Translation topic here
-- Hope~ - Symphony of Tomorrow alpha demo playthrough here (1h35mn long video !)

-- Current avatar by SilverHyena => her DA account

-- Check out this project if you have some time !

LateWhiteRabbit
Eileen-Class Veteran
Projects: The Space Between

#11 Post by LateWhiteRabbit »

He was the first person to touch something all of humanity had stared at since the dawn of time. He touched the sky and now returns to the earth. Everyone just lost a legend.

Gear
Miko-Class Veteran
Projects: Tempestus Sum
Organization: Xenokos Interactive
IRC Nick: Gear

#12 Post by Gear »

A truly incredible person. This was no small loss for us all.
The best reason to get up in the morning is to outdo yourself: to do it better than you've ever done it before. But if you haven't done it better by nightfall... look at your globe and pick a spot: it's always morning somewhere.

PyTom
Ren'Py Creator

#13 Post by PyTom »

For those who haven't seen it, they eventually released the speech that Nixon would have given had the moon landing not worked. It's maybe the best speech never given, and it puts the moon landing into context, and it's still kind of relevant, so I repeat it here.
IN EVENT OF MOON DISASTER:

Fate has ordained that the men who went to the moon to explore in peace will stay on the moon to rest in peace.

These brave men, Neil Armstrong and Edwin Aldrin, know that there is no hope for their recovery. But they also know that there is hope for mankind in their sacrifice.

These two men are laying down their lives in mankind’s most noble goal: the search for truth and understanding.

They will be mourned by their families and friends; they will be mourned by their nation; they will be mourned by the people of the world; they will be mourned by a Mother Earth that dared send two of her sons into the unknown.

In their exploration, they stirred the people of the world to feel as one; in their sacrifice, they bind more tightly the brotherhood of man.

In ancient days, men looked at stars and saw their heroes in the constellations. In modern times, we do much the same, but our heroes are epic men of flesh and blood.

Others will follow, and surely find their way home. Man’s search will not be denied. But these men were the first, and they will remain the foremost in our hearts.

For every human being who looks up at the moon in the nights to come will know that there is some corner of another world that is forever mankind.

Minnfae
Regular
Projects: Undecided

#14 Post by Minnfae »

Thanks for posting that speech, it's the first time I've read it. It reminds me of the way Carl Sagan used to talk and write about space.
Because the media is filled with bad news and garbage, it's kind of easy to lose sight of the awesome things humanity has achieved, and the awesome people that have made them possible.

RIP Neil Armstrong, your courage, determination and humility will always be remembered.
My avatar art is a freebie by SilverHyena. Thanks a lot!

LVUER
King of Lolies
Completed: R.S.P

#15 Post by LVUER »

RIP Mr.Neil Armstrong.

I know he is the first man who land on moon (hence he's great) but I never know he is truly a great man too.
"Double the princesses, quadruple the fun!" - Haken Browning (SRW-OG Endless Frontier)

DeviantArt Account
MoeToMecha Blog (under construction)
Lolicondria Blog (under construction) <- NSFW