Foreign Languages

Forum organization and occasional community-building.
Forum rules
Questions about Ren'Py should go in the Ren'Py Questions and Announcements forum.
AsHLeX
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Starlight Dreamers, Mysterious Melody, Town of Memories, Marked, To Fly, The Change, Him From The Past, A Forgotten Memory
Projects: Cafe Mysteria

Re: Foreign Languages

#76 Post by AsHLeX »

@ibukichan:
Yay! Someone else posted. The thread is back ALIVE!!~~
(Sorry...I just feel very weird being the last poster after months so I had to say something... Ehh I hope I'm not going out of topic - am a little chatty today)
New demo out 24/12/23!!

The Library Cat
Completed: Cupid
Organization: Fervent
Tumblr: thelibrarycat

#77 Post by The Library Cat »

Oooh, so many different languages! I like this thread. :)

German: 5/5 (My native language, which I'm really good at - it's what I'm majoring in, too)
English: 5/5 (My minor; I'll admit to being ever so slightly more fluent in writing, but that's mainly because I stutter a bit, which is more pronounced in foreign languages)
Latin: 2/5 (I remember a lot of grammar and only a few vocabs - enough to regret not taking French in school)
Dutch: 1/5 (Taking courses in university right now, which are supposed to lead to a level of B2/C1 or about 3.5-4/5 by the time I'm finished, wooo)
Italian: 0.5/5 (Next up after Dutch, did some learning in my free time so I know very basic stuff already, mostly about grammar)
Chinese: 0.5/5 (Took an extracurricular course in 12th grade for a year, mostly remember grammar and know that this language is way over my head)

I love languages. I'm a linguist at heart and enjoy the classes in linguistics I can take at university, and if there were more courses available for beginners (most are for intermediates) I'd be taking them every semester ... though I'm not going to touch Japanese, for which there are beginner courses, because anything with a different sign system kills the joy of learning for me, somehow.

Dylan_Bain
Regular
Organization: Dylan Bain Games

#78 Post by Dylan_Bain »

I am (obviously) fluent in English, and know a little Japanese. (I am learning >_<)
http://lemmasoft.renai.us/forums/viewto ... 52#p365552 Curently NOT Accepting Commisions!

Morhighan
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: AIdol, When Our Journey Ends, Forgotten Not Lost
Organization: MysteryCorgi
Tumblr: MysteryCorgi
Deviantart: MysteryCorgi
Soundcloud: MysteryCorgi
itch: MysteryCorgi

#79 Post by Morhighan »

English - 5/5 My birth-language
Latin - 3.5/5 I took about 4 years of the language in high school
German - 2/5 I took some in college
Japanese - 2/5 I know when the subtitles are wrong!

thebackup
Veteran
Completed: Final Week, CardioQuiz, Cafe Memoria, All I Want for Christmas is a Girlfriend, Dating Sim! Re:Mastered, Dating Sim! Luna's Lovely Summer
Projects: Memoria (on hiatus), Cafe Memoria Deux (cancelled)
Organization: PixaelSoft
itch: thebackup

#80 Post by thebackup »

Let's see (not counting English):

Spanish: 3.5 / 5 - Despite taking years of Spanish classes (HS and college), my skills are deteriorating because of non-use x_x I can still understand if I listen / read closely, although a few common phrases I understand readily (¿como esta?)

Japanese: 1.5 /5 - Just several basic vocabulary, phrases, some basic understanding of grammar, thanks to anime :D *needs to read that Japanese grammar book received as a gift*

Tagalog: 0.5 / 5 - Just know a few very basic phrases and vocabulary (because I live in a household that speaks Tagalog)

YuukiCrossPudding
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Gidget & The Mysterious Thievery of Hoppity Town
Projects: Cerulean, The Photographer, Stalker&Yandere, Enamored Risks, Who Is The Red Queen?
itch: yuukipudding

#81 Post by YuukiCrossPudding »

My native language is Indonesian, so its 5/5?
English : 3/5 , learning it since I'm in elementary school and took some courses.
Chinese : 2/5 , all of my family often using Chinese to speak with each other, so I understand what ppl are saying but I'm not fluent in speech, learnt to write a bit when I'm in school
Korean : 2/5 , took some courses learning how to read and write. But I tend to forgot the vocabulary, Korean is surprisingly similar with Chinese and Japanese, so I had easy time in learning it.
Japanese : 1/5 , have a few friends who's fluent in Japanese, and thanks for those anime know a lot of japanese vocab.

agentyoda
Regular

#82 Post by agentyoda »

My native language is American English: 5/5.
Unfortunately, my Spanish never got past the time and seasons. I won't even give it a ranking, as I don't remember anything but a few words.
My Japanese is about the same: only in the first part of the GENKI series learning the hiragana and katakana.
Besides that, i've studied Ancient Greek grammar for the purpose of translating the original Biblical texts, and Ecclesiastical Latin to read the Church's documents (all written in Latin). With respect to strict study and translation: i'd say 3/5 for both. Speaking, writing, etc. is not even 1/5. They're not really meant to be spoken nowadays, so i'm satisfied with this level!

Railgun
Regular
Completed: Within, Saving Zoey
Projects: Frontiers of Barassy (Unity3D), DR001 (Ren'Py)
Tumblr: railgun-gameblog

#83 Post by Railgun »

Oh this is fun!
I'm surprised at the number of people who know at least a bit of French :O

@Didules, I think French is very handy for debate, essays and poetry because it is a complex and rich language with lots of nuances and concepts. However, I think it is overly complicated for everyday usage...Even Frenchmen struggle with syntax and spelling mistakes (which I hate to see as a native speaker).

I have two native languages actually but only speak one fluently:
French 5/5
Hakka 2/5
Latin 0/5
Japanese 2/5

And I can understand a few words in Creole from my hometown.

Dreamtigers

#84 Post by Dreamtigers »

You all know an impressive number and variety of languages! Adding my entry to the roundup...

English is my native language. (I'm American.) Love it for its maddening inconsistencies, its fabulous literature, and its complicated history.

Took Spanish for seven years in grade school; have been studying Japanese for two.

Also, I was a Classics major, if that counts. I have a t-shirt that says "Do you want fries with that?" in Greek and Latin. :D It's been awhile since I had to translate anything, but if you left me on a desert island with Tacitus and a lexicon, I could make do.

noctos
Regular
Projects: Aeris
Tumblr: noctos

#85 Post by noctos »

I love languages!

Norwegian: 5/5
English: 4.5/5
Korean: 1/5

Norwegian is my mother tongue, I've been learning English since I was eight, and I've started taking Korean just recently. I learned Spanish in middle school, but I wouldn't even consider myself a 1/5 since it's been so long. Last year I began teaching myself Japanese as well, memorizing Hiragana and Katakana, but I had to take a break because life got in the way. I hope to take a Japanese class in university next year!

As for other languages I want to learn, I think French, Chinese and Russian would be interesting.
Tentatively working on my first project ☆

Tyrantauranox
Regular

#86 Post by Tyrantauranox »

I am envious. Is there any place I can trade in useless TV show and movie quote data for fundamental German language knowledge?

Rinima
Eileen-Class Veteran
Projects: WtRF
Organization: Harmonic Dreams
IRC Nick: Rinima or Charlie
Deviantart: Emlindes

#87 Post by Rinima »

I speak English as a native language (British english, not American English). I'm learning German (started a couple of months ago) and started French in Y7 (though I didn't bother keeping it up)

English - 5/5 (though my speaking is a little worse for wear)
German 1-2/5? (I'm fairly good at reading it, listening I have to listen really hard and they have to go slow, as for speaking... please, I can barely manage English on a good day. My writing is also okay-ish)
French 0/5 (I can literally only remember 'bonjour')
Pronouns: They/them or He/him

sendo
Veteran
Completed: To Libertad, Diamond Rose, SC2VN, Sickness VN
Projects: eroges!
itch: sendo

#88 Post by sendo »

Tagalog (5/5): It is our national language.

Ilokano (4.5/5): My mother tongue. Apparently has many words I didn't come across growing up.

English (3/5): Can read and write. Can speak it too, slowly with a terrible accent. I am fascinated with it and I'm trying to be good at it.

Japanese (1/5): I did learn Hiragana and Katakana some time ago, but Kanji was just overwhelming. I really do want to learn it so I can actually understand all the japanese artists I follow on twitter! :lol: (and to play untranslated games I've always wanted to play...)

Ren'py (5/5): ... I wish :lol: I guess it's at 3.5 right now.
Finished VNs:
Image Image

Rinima
Eileen-Class Veteran
Projects: WtRF
Organization: Harmonic Dreams
IRC Nick: Rinima or Charlie
Deviantart: Emlindes

#89 Post by Rinima »

Didules wrote: Why so much hate toward French? X'D
(Sorry, just wanted to say this)
Well, I, for one, blame my french teachers.
I got put in a bottom/low level French set. Why you ask?
Because I was friends with someone who could barely speak English (she was from Thailand, let alone French, so they suck us together.
I was more than good enough to be in 3rd or even 2nd set, but no, cause someone else's eduction is more important than mine, I was denied the chance to actually learn French properly.

That, and I went to France when I was 12, and was ill the entire week, so that put me off.
sendo wrote:English (3/5): Can read and write. Can speak it too, slowly with a terrible accent. I am fascinated with it and I'm trying to be good at it.
Really? I wouldn't have though you weren't English if I didn't know, your written English and understanding is fantastic!
Pronouns: They/them or He/him

sendo
Veteran
Completed: To Libertad, Diamond Rose, SC2VN, Sickness VN
Projects: eroges!
itch: sendo

#90 Post by sendo »

Rinima wrote:Really? I wouldn't have though you weren't English if I didn't know, your written English and understanding is fantastic!
Thanks, but that's just because I try to proofread whatever I write and read the texts at least 2 times haha. It takes me some time to translate what I want to say to English. My reply above still took me several minutes I think. But ideally, I'd like to be able to naturally write and speak it. :D
Finished VNs:
Image Image