Non-Japanese comics

Forum organization and occasional community-building.
Forum rules
Questions about Ren'Py should go in the Ren'Py Questions and Announcements forum.
MaiMai
Yandere
Completed: [Phase Shift]
Projects: [ None ]
Organization: Paper Stars
Tumblr: maiscribbles
Deviantart: maiscribble

Re: Non-Japanese comics

#16 Post by MaiMai »

@MaiMai
Maybe I should give superhero comics another chance?
I'm not sure how behind in Gunnerkrig Court I am : | Cucumber Quest sounds fun, and Hemlock sounds vaguely familiar... I will check them out at some point! Thanks for linking them~
I certainly am giving them another chance after the Avenger's movie blew me away and sparked my interest again. Before, as a manga fan I wouldn't have been attracted to any superhero comics since there's all those issues of continuity, different artists, and different writers. I would have been quite happy with my linear manga/anime story lines. But I suppose after so many years of that, I started to look for different types of media to desaturate all the anime tropes that I've drowned in.

Really all those "problems" I've mentioned above are actually part of the fun. I love looking at all the different art styles there are for superhero comics it's so varied from godawful to something you have to give credit for being awesome. Same goes for writing and story lines that can get confusing. But I think instead of trying to approach superhero comics in a linear fashion, I'd just go, pick up an issue. If I like what I see and read, it's worth sticking to. And like it or not, American superhero comics are pretty much part of American culture history! It's really fascinating to me how far they've come since then.

And really if you're not into superhero comics, but want something other than manga, I personally depend on webcomics haha wow I rambled.
Image COMMISSIONS AVAILABLE (check Tumblr sidebar)

Deji
Cheer Idol; Not Great at Secret Identities
Projects: http://bit.ly/2lieZsA
Organization: Sakevisual, Apple Cider, Mystery Parfait
Tumblr: DejiNyucu
Deviantart: DejiNyucu

#17 Post by Deji »

MaiMai wrote: Before, as a manga fan I wouldn't have been attracted to any superhero comics since there's all those issues of continuity, different artists, and different writers. I would have been quite happy with my linear manga/anime story lines. But I suppose after so many years of that, I started to look for different types of media to desaturate all the anime tropes that I've drowned in.

Really all those "problems" I've mentioned above are actually part of the fun. I love looking at all the different art styles there are for superhero comics it's so varied from godawful to something you have to give credit for being awesome. Same goes for writing and story lines that can get confusing. But I think instead of trying to approach superhero comics in a linear fashion, I'd just go, pick up an issue. If I like what I see and read, it's worth sticking to.
^This, pretty much :P

<ramble>

It was *hard* for me to get into superhero comics, because of the art. Too many years of being spoiled by manga!
What sparked my curiosity was Green Lantern, to be honest (NOT THE MOVIE, BTW, THAT MADE ME CRY); a friend of mine was reading it when Blackest Night was being published and spammed the hell out of her tumblr and twitter with art and fanart and merchandise and I thought the myth behind it was really cool, so I thought I'd give it a try... And I found myself enjoying it very much, even though in the beginning it was rather painful to read some of the numbers with really... ugh... bad art x_x But the parts with good art and the cool alien characters were just <3 Also with the whole crossover event thingie I came to get acquainted with other DC characters and I picked up some of their titles too and it was overall a very cool experience, even if I dropped DC on the reboot event ^^; (I just couldn't get into Flashpoint *shrugs*)
I've been trying to pick up Marvel after the Marvel Movieverse movies, which I happen to like a lot, but I've found it kind of hard because they have SO. MANY. CHARACTERS. I read through Fear Itself and it was also a fun thing. It was fun to notice the differences between the approach to superheroes by DC and Marvel, too.

Art-wise, I ended up liking the realistic approach, the coloring, the whole... staging of each panel, which was very different from what I was used to in manga, and even came to dislike generic manga/anime art after a while o__o

</end ramble>

Bottomline: if you plan to be any kind of artist/drafstperson/illustrator, it's good to expose yourself to different kind of art, not only what you're used to like ;)
Obscura wrote:(...) followed by Neil Gaiman's Sandman series.(...)
A good friend of mine is *crazy* about Sandman and loves Neil Gaiman to pieces. I should have asked her to lend his work to me before she sold her collection out of necessity ):
Tumblr | Twitter
Forever busy :')
When drawing something, anything, USE REFERENCES!! Use your Google-fu!
Don't trust your memory, and don't blindly trust what others teach you either.
Research, observation, analysis, experimentation and practice are the key! (:

PyTom
Ren'Py Creator
Completed: Moonlight Walks
Projects: Ren'Py
IRC Nick: renpytom
Github: renpytom
itch: renpytom

#18 Post by PyTom »

Deji wrote:it was overall a very cool experience, even if I dropped DC on the reboot event
I had pretty much the same experience with The Amazing Spider-Man. I picked it up on JMS's run on the book - where there were some cool stories like the whole Ezekiel arc. But then the Civil War crossover hit, and now you have Spider-Man as a minor character in his own book - and the Civil War story basically destroyed the character to the point where they had to do a mini-reboot of the series. And the way they did that threw out all of the continuity I had been familiar with, to the point where I dropped the book.
Supporting creators since 2004
(When was the last time you backed up your game?)
"Do good work." - Virgil Ivan "Gus" Grissom
Software > Drama • https://www.patreon.com/renpytom

Joey
Regular
Projects: Water's Edge
Organization: Etoranze

#19 Post by Joey »

I've always been a fan of Neil Gaiman's Sandman but my interest in American comics got rekindled recently by the Walking Dead. I think if you're apprehensive about following a convoluted superhero comic timeline then TWD (and others like it) is probably for you -- the storyline is linear and the art style only changes once, and not very noticeably. It's even in black-and-white so it's not a very big leap for manga fans. The story's really good though, I suggest people give it a try :3
Image (devblog) || devtwitter | devtumblr

cuttlefish
Regular

#20 Post by cuttlefish »

junna wrote:I've been collecting graphic novels of Shakespeare's plays, teen novels like Maximum Ride and Twilight
Gosh, who makes those? I'm not sure I've run into any comics that were an adaptation of a novel or play.
PyTom wrote:I read through Invincible recently.
I also liked Marvel's Runaways books.
Oh, those sound interesting. I will try to get my hands on them at some point.
Obscura wrote:The first comic I really loved was Lynda Barry's Marlys and Maybonne books, followed by Neil Gaiman's Sandman series. I am also crazy about Daniel Clowes. I guess I've always liked alt comics, many of which emphasize story over art (if you've seen any of these series, you'll note the art is probably the weakest point about any of these comics.)
I'm not sure if you mean the art is "ugly" or the art does not tell the story well (but probably the former)? Nonetheless, I will give these comics a look see!
sake-bento wrote:
cuttlefish wrote:@sake-bento
Is Batman Beyond Unlimited's story like a time skip for Batman?
Basically. Batman Beyond was an animated series with a time skip. The "Unlimited" comic is a collection of three series running concurrently, with a time skip for Superman and a time skip for the Justice League as well. All three are a continuation of the animated universe versions.
Ah :0 Well, that sounds a bit more manageable to understand. It's been a while since I kept up with anything Batman, and then I heard about how
Robin died and was replaced twice.
...Batman has gone beyond me.
MaiMai wrote:Before, as a manga fan I wouldn't have been attracted to any superhero comics since there's all those issues of continuity, different artists, and different writers.
Continuity is my main problem with superhero comics. But truthfully, I haven't read many superhero comics and mostly know superheroes by their animated series. I think I might check out an X-Men comic next time I visit the library.
MaiMai wrote:And really if you're not into superhero comics, but want something other than manga, I personally depend on webcomics
Thank you for adding to my webcomics list ; )
Deji wrote:Bottomline: if you plan to be any kind of artist/drafstperson/illustrator, it's good to expose yourself to different kind of art, not only what you're used to like
I agree. Although it's silly, I still tend to judge a book by its cover. VNs have helped me get past this thinking, for the most part.
Joey wrote:I think if you're apprehensive about following a convoluted superhero comic timeline then TWD (and others like it) is probably for you -- the storyline is linear and the art style only changes once, and not very noticeably. It's even in black-and-white so it's not a very big leap for manga fans. The story's really good though, I suggest people give it a try :3
I will give it a try : ]

C7N
Regular

#21 Post by C7N »

I read The Friendly Winter, that's a really great manwha web comic about a girl with a growth disorder who becomes friends with a guy that has a mental disorder. It's not only about how they deal with their disabilities, but also about the girl's mother who abandoned her when she was really young. Full of drama, but pretty addictive.
WebStory Engine - Visual Novel Engine For The Web:
http://lemmasoft.renai.us/forums/viewto ... =4&t=16722

junna
Veteran
Projects: DreamWalker; History; Adversity Competition

#22 Post by junna »

cuttlefish wrote:
junna wrote:I've been collecting graphic novels of Shakespeare's plays, teen novels like Maximum Ride and Twilight
Gosh, who makes those? I'm not sure I've run into any comics that were an adaptation of a novel or play.
Err...no idea who thought of it but they do... the Shakespeare graphic novel has a distinctively err...comic-book/Western style drawings whereas the novels like Twilight, Maximum Ride and Sherrilyn Kenyon's Dark Hunter series have a distinctively manga/manhwa style. The artist for the Maximum Ride grpahic novel even has a Korean-ish name. lol. All of them are in English.

I've found hundreds of Harlequin novels turned manga too. ^^;; I stalk scanlator groups.
chibi avvie by Meg (buprettyinpink).
WIP=>Image
Image<=helping out

Fungii
Veteran
Completed: Home's Embrace
Projects: Royality TV
Tumblr: fungiidraws
itch: fungii

#23 Post by Fungii »

Blacksaaaaaad

That's pretty much it.

Daistarir
Veteran
Projects: History [GxB], Alice Revo
Organization: Kingdom Crown Production

#24 Post by Daistarir »

Vietnam's Genius is one of the Vietnam Comic.

cuttlefish
Regular

#25 Post by cuttlefish »

junna wrote:
cuttlefish wrote:
Err...no idea who thought of it but they do... the Shakespeare graphic novel has a distinctively err...comic-book/Western style drawings whereas the novels like Twilight, Maximum Ride and Sherrilyn Kenyon's Dark Hunter series have a distinctively manga/manhwa style. The artist for the Maximum Ride grpahic novel even has a Korean-ish name. lol. All of them are in English.

I've found hundreds of Harlequin novels turned manga too. ^^;; I stalk scanlator groups.
...I kind of want to find those comics. (Well, Shakespeare and Dark Hunter.)

I realized a little after I initially replied that I do read a comic that's been adapted from a novel *coughmyavatarcough*, and I'm reading the original novel version too.
C7N wrote:I read The Friendly Winter, that's a really great manwha web comic about a girl with a growth disorder who becomes friends with a guy that has a mental disorder. It's not only about how they deal with their disabilities, but also about the girl's mother who abandoned her when she was really young. Full of drama, but pretty addictive.
I will be going through this for the next couple of days~
Fungii wrote:Blacksaaaaaad

That's pretty much it.
I'll be getting my hands on it soon +_+
Daistarir wrote:Vietnam's Genius is one of the Vietnam Comic.
Who is the author (or artist/author)?

Nuxill
Veteran
Projects: No Friend
Tumblr: nuxill
itch: nuxill

#26 Post by Nuxill »

Aww yeah, nice to see some fellow Gunnerkrigg and Cucumber Quest fans in here. B)
I also read Gunshow and Monster Pulse.

I have a hard time getting into comic series that are published monthly because I don't always have access to a good comic book store. Most of the stuff I own is smaller 'indie' comics that end in one volume... and bound versions of the webcomics I read. :lol:

junna
Veteran
Projects: DreamWalker; History; Adversity Competition

#27 Post by junna »

For Dark-Hunter, you could try and find it from your local chain bookstore...I found mine in my university bookstore. lol
here's a look at the Dark-Hunters in manga form. http://www.sherrilynkenyon.com/book-series/magna/

For the Shakespeare...I find there are several different ones. You would have to search for them first ^^;;
chibi avvie by Meg (buprettyinpink).
WIP=>Image
Image<=helping out

cuttlefish
Regular

#28 Post by cuttlefish »

@Nuxill
You could probably find some of those monthly comics on the internet or at the library?
One day, I'll buy the printed volumes for some of the webcomics I read.

@junna
Oh. Thanks for the info. Why doesn't my university bookstore sell comics!? But then again, they'd be overpriced...

Wow. It's nice to learn about all the other comics out there.
Nedroid Picture Diary, anyone?

Daistarir
Veteran
Projects: History [GxB], Alice Revo
Organization: Kingdom Crown Production

#29 Post by Daistarir »

@cuttlefish : Phan Thi. But I don't think they will release the Eng version in a long time.

Victoria Jennings
Miko-Class Veteran

#30 Post by Victoria Jennings »

Did anyone mention Promethea yet? I've only read the first volume, but I found it to be quite awesome. :'3 <3