Non-Japanese comics

Forum organization and occasional community-building.
Forum rules
Questions about Ren'Py should go in the Ren'Py Questions and Announcements forum.
cuttlefish
Regular

Non-Japanese comics

#1 Post by cuttlefish »

Seeing how there was a thread on this board about non-Japanese cartoons or animations, I was wondering how interested the LSF community is in comics outside manga.

For me, I actually keep up with Korean webtoons and manhwa more than manga nowadays. I read some of the popularly translated webtoons like Tower of God and Kubera, and then there's The Greatest Fusion Fantasy: Id which I admit I haven't read the latest translated chapters for, which partly catapulted me into looking for other comics besides manga.

What other comics do you read?

EDIT2: Added links >_<;
Last edited by cuttlefish on Thu Sep 20, 2012 10:21 pm, edited 2 times in total.

myapple
Regular
Projects: RoG2.0, Stirling
Organization: red inc.

Re: Non-Japanese comics

#2 Post by myapple »

Hmm...a few years ago Veritas was one of my favourite manhwa, but I haven't been keeping up with it lately D:

gekiganwing
Lemma-Class Veteran

#3 Post by gekiganwing »

It has been a while since I got into a comic written in English. Back when I got nearly all my entertainment from local libraries and bookstores, my options were limited, so I was more willing to try something new. Anyway, I got into the following series:

* Elfquest (hasn't been the same since the creators started outsourcing it around 1992)
* Bone (one main finished story with a few inconsequential spinoffs)
* The Tick (lost interest after a few story arcs)
* Thieves and Kings (quietly cancelled, but much missed!)
* Shades of Grey - Comics and Stories (ditto)
* Steviebear (short-lived)

I have looked at a couple of webcomics, but haven't given them much of a chance. So I've been baffled to see a few of them become genuinely popular (namely Homestuck, which seems to be a webcomic / animated series / adventure game hybrid thing).

cuttlefish
Regular

#4 Post by cuttlefish »

@myapple
I haven't heard of Veritas before :0 The plot sounds pretty complicated in its Wikipedia article.

@gekiganwing
I think I will try to find some of the comics you've mentioned. I've only read one volume of Bone as part of an assignment for an art class, but I remember liking the story.

I usually wait a long time before checking on English webcomics because most of them update so slowly. I've heard that Homestuck released its pages fairly quickly though since it was done as an experimental comic that allowed the readers to determine the story.
Last edited by cuttlefish on Thu Sep 20, 2012 11:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

RunicV
Veteran
IRC Nick: RunicV

#5 Post by RunicV »

I don't really have an interest in comics that aren't manga, as the art for those most of the time aren't to my liking. I do read some, though not much. Being lazy, those are the ones in newspapers (eg. Calvin and Hobbes, Garfield)

When I'm reading webcomics, I tend to go for the ones with pretty art. Most of the time, they're the ones that are drawn in manga style. :U Some are pretty good. The only complaint is that the authors churn out pages slowly compared to proper mangakas. Of course, I can't complain since drawing manga isn't their full-time job. ^_^

There are a lot of interesting webcomics...

I tend to go to SmackJeeves to keep up on webcomics. I've heard that Manga Magazine and [url=http://www.drunkduck.com]Drunk Duck[url] are good websites, too.
Hatred: the absence of love.
Please, treat me with kindness.

Arelune
Regular

#6 Post by Arelune »

So do webcomics count? I've read a lot of those over the years. A couple I really like, all still updating or complete:
Knights-errant
Ten
Winters in Lavelle
Todd Allison and the Petunia Violet
Strays
Edepth Angel
No Rest for the Wicked (updated irregularly)
True Magic
Mortifer (COMPLETE)
Yu+Me Dream (COMPLETE, this one is kind of weird)
Inverloch (COMPLETE)

Some Korean comics:
Noblesse (Webtoon)
H2O (COMPLETE)
Cutie Boy (COMPLETE)
You're so Cool (COMPLETE)

I read a lot more, but I can't remember them all. ^^' So you can see, I don't care where the stories originated from, as long as they're interesting.

Taleweaver
Writing Maniac
Completed: Metropolitan Blues, The Loyal Kinsman, Daemonophilia, The Dreaming, The Thirteenth Year, Adrift, Bionic Heart 2, Secrets of the Wolf, The Photographer
Projects: The Pilgrim's Path, Elspeth's Garden, Secret Adventure Game!
Organization: Tall Tales Productions

#7 Post by Taleweaver »

Sorry, guys, gotta move this topic because it has nothing to do with "otaku themes".

For me, the top webcomics are Sinfest, Order of the Stick, Menage a 3 (NSFW) and Penny Arcade, though I follow that more for Extra Credits than for the actual webcomic.

Paper comics? Mouse Guard!
Scriptwriter and producer of Metropolitan Blues
Creator of The Loyal Kinsman
Scriptwriter and director of Daemonophilia
Scriptwriter and director of The Dreaming
Scriptwriter of Zenith Chronicles
Scriptwriter and director of The Thirteenth Year
Scriptwriter and director of Romance is Dead
Scriptwriter and producer of Adrift
More about me in my blog
"Adrift - Like Ever17, but without the Deus Ex Machina" - HigurashiKira

MaiMai
Yandere
Completed: [Phase Shift]
Projects: [ None ]
Organization: Paper Stars
Tumblr: maiscribbles
Deviantart: maiscribble

#8 Post by MaiMai »

Oh, non-Japanese comics?? This I can do.

I'm interested in reading the current run of Daredevil from the Marvel company written by Mark Waid since I've been hearing nothing, but good things about it because of the great writer and art. From the previews I've seen from each issue, I can believe it. Been a while since I've gotten back into superhero stuff.

For webcomics, I absolutely recommend these:

Gunnerkrig Court by Tom Siddell. A comic about a girl who goes to a school that is built across from a forest; lots of magic versus technology themes with plenty of supernatural elements. The art starts out rough at first, but this webcomic's been running for a while so the art quality has vastly improved. Updated Mondays, Wednesdays, and Fridays.

Cucumber Quest by Gigi DG. A boy goes on a quest to save the world from an evil dark lord, but not because he really wants to. Lots of food themed fun, magic, and cuteness! And it's hilarious. You may or may not know Gigi from her hilarious if sketchily drawn humor comics of Metal Gear Solid 3 and Persona 4 which she posted on her old Livejournal as "peachii" (I THINK I forgot her old LJ name). This webcomic displays her full art and writing ability with fully colored pages and simple, but effective dialogue. Updated at at least three to four times a week.

Hemlock by Josceline Fenton. This is a story about a witch, her new familiar, and her complicated relationship with her 'family...' An absolutely gorgeous black and white comic. I love Fenton's line work and her choice of style to draw her characters.
Last edited by MaiMai on Thu Sep 20, 2012 10:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Image COMMISSIONS AVAILABLE (check Tumblr sidebar)

Deji
Cheer Idol; Not Great at Secret Identities
Projects: http://bit.ly/2lieZsA
Organization: Sakevisual, Apple Cider, Mystery Parfait
Tumblr: DejiNyucu
Deviantart: DejiNyucu

#9 Post by Deji »

I'm not really used to reading comics (as in not manga) regularly... I guess I've been spoiled by online manga readers >>; My budget to buy them is close to 0 too, so...yeah. But I have a few that I've collected because of the art, mainly! ("if it's not pretty, I won't read it" is my motto. )

I was lent and later given as a gift the SkyDoll comics. They're wonderful and I love them very very much! I wished they'd publish them more often, though >>;
I own the hardcover copy of The Last Unicorn comic, and I also own the compiled hardcover Blackest Night event from DC comics; Ivan Reis' art is <3 I'd love to buy Flash vol 1, drawn by Francis Manapul too, I love his art as well!

I've been meaning to buy Blacksad for a while, because the art is simply amazing. I think all my illustrator friends have at least one volume xD;
I've also been meaning to buy a Hellboy book for a while, I really like Mike Mignola's art and I'd love to own a book!
I'm also waiting for Marvel's Journey into Mystery hardcovers to arrive to the local comic book store to buy them (: I was introduced by a friend and I loved the art!

Webcomics, the only one I read is Homestuck; I can't say I read it for the art though, but at least the fandom is full of wonderful fanartists that come in many style-flavors <3
Tumblr | Twitter
Forever busy :')
When drawing something, anything, USE REFERENCES!! Use your Google-fu!
Don't trust your memory, and don't blindly trust what others teach you either.
Research, observation, analysis, experimentation and practice are the key! (:

sake-bento
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: http://sakevisual.com/games.html
Projects: Every Sunrise, Shinsei
Organization: sakevisual
Tumblr: sakevisual
Deviantart: sakevisual
itch: sakevisual

#10 Post by sake-bento »

MaiMai already mentioned it, but I also read Gunnerkrigg Court. I also read Directions of Destiny whenever it's updated, and I own the first print volume (signed : D).

I'm currently reading Batman and Batman Beyond Unlimited in DC's series, and I'll buy basically any collected works illustrated by Marcus To.

cuttlefish
Regular

#11 Post by cuttlefish »

Taleweaver wrote:Sorry, guys, gotta move this topic because it has nothing to do with "otaku themes".
Yeah, I didn't really think this thread fit in there >_>, but thanks for moving it and sorry for posting in the wrong place.

Wow, so many comics I need to check out! (⊙ _ ⊙)

@RunicV
I do read some comics on SmackJeeves and Manga Magazine. Drunk Duck is new to me, though.
I like most newspaper comics, but I don't read them often. I mostly read such series like Calvin and Hobbes from published collections of the strips. I have a copy of Homicidal Psycho Jungle Cat.

@Arelune
Whether they're called webcomics or webtoons, comics are comics. Thank you for linking them : )
Hmm, I haven't checked on Todd Allison or Strays in a while. I feel like Noblesse has gone down in quality recently : ( But I do check on it still, hoping it will bounce back~

@Taleweaver
I've heard of Penny Arcade and Order of the Stick. Thanks for the links!

@MaiMai
Maybe I should give superhero comics another chance?
I'm not sure how behind in Gunnerkrig Court I am : | Cucumber Quest sounds fun, and Hemlock sounds vaguely familiar... I will check them out at some point! Thanks for linking them~

@Deji
Blacksad reminded me of Lackadaisy. I also need to get myself a Hellboy book, and check out those titles you've posted!

@sake-bento
Is Batman Beyond Unlimited's story like a time skip for Batman?
Last edited by cuttlefish on Fri Sep 21, 2012 12:05 am, edited 2 times in total.

junna
Veteran
Projects: DreamWalker; History; Adversity Competition

#12 Post by junna »

>_> does novels turned comics count?
I've been collecting graphic novels of Shakespeare's plays, teen novels like Maximum Ride and Twilight (lol) so that I could be an extra resource for my students (English teacher ftw!)... sure they're not the 'real' text but then it's a resource.
chibi avvie by Meg (buprettyinpink).
WIP=>Image
Image<=helping out

PyTom
Ren'Py Creator
Completed: Moonlight Walks
Projects: Ren'Py
IRC Nick: renpytom
Github: renpytom
itch: renpytom

#13 Post by PyTom »

I read through Invincible recently. It's an interesting superhero comic that starts off with a superboy-like character learning to be a superhero from his superman-like father. The series quickly branches out from that premise, as Invincible grows up quickly, and more characters are introduced. Amazon has the Invincible Compendium 1 for $40. It's 1024 pages get you to the middle of the series, at least.

I also liked Marvel's Runaways books, or at least the ones that were made by the original team. It follows a group of mostly-teenagers who find out that their parents are evil - and so they run away to form their own hero team. While taking place in the marvel universe, it's mostly isolated from the name-brand characters, and has a different tone to it - only one character dresses up in costume, and she only does so because she's eleven. It went downhill after the original team left - despite Joss Whedon writing it for a stretch - and is now on hiatus. Marvel has released it in multiple forms, which is a real PITA, as you have to cross-check to make sure you're not buying the same issue twice. Jerks.
Supporting creators since 2004
(When was the last time you backed up your game?)
"Do good work." - Virgil Ivan "Gus" Grissom
Software > Drama • https://www.patreon.com/renpytom

Obscura
Eileen-Class Veteran
Projects: Coming Out On Top

#14 Post by Obscura »

I don't read really manga much at all (though I have a hilarious copy of "What's Michael" and a couple of random Japanese titles from decades ago.)

The first comic I really loved was Lynda Barry's Marlys and Maybonne books, followed by Neil Gaiman's Sandman series. I am also crazy about Daniel Clowes. I guess I've always liked alt comics, many of which emphasize story over art (if you've seen any of these series, you'll note the art is probably the weakest point about any of these comics.) I've also loved a lot of Frank Miller's stuff.

As for webcomics, these days I love Olgaf and a bunch of American B+B titles that are available online (like TJ & Amal and Teahouse.)

Probably my favorite comics writer is Gaiman. His stories are just epic and I love his characters. Lynda Barry just reminds me of how life was like growing up as a girl...very funny, sad, tragic, and outrageous.
Coming Out On Top - An Adult Gay Dating Sim
website

sake-bento
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: http://sakevisual.com/games.html
Projects: Every Sunrise, Shinsei
Organization: sakevisual
Tumblr: sakevisual
Deviantart: sakevisual
itch: sakevisual

#15 Post by sake-bento »

cuttlefish wrote:@sake-bento
Is Batman Beyond Unlimited's story like a time skip for Batman?
Basically. Batman Beyond was an animated series with a time skip. The "Unlimited" comic is a collection of three series running concurrently, with a time skip for Superman and a time skip for the Justice League as well. All three are a continuation of the animated universe versions.